Sign in to follow this  
CrazyStanley

What to do with Maroney?

It seems like with Hightower, I bruce and M Muhammad available, it seems like dropping Maroney, the lowest scorer on my team by more than 20 pts, is the thing to do, but can i do that to my early 3rd round pick?

He is in what seems to be a good situation, a QB that is decent but not great and with a team that likes to run, however, they let anyone on their roster get 5 carries.

If this was a dynasty league, i would keep him but in a redraft...

Anyone else in a similar situation?

It seems like with Hightower, I bruce and M Muhammad available, it seems like dropping Maroney, the lowest scorer on my team by more than 20 pts, is the thing to do, but can i do that to my early 3rd round pick?

He is in what seems to be a good situation, a QB that is decent but not great and with a team that likes to run, however, they let anyone on their roster get 5 carries.

If this was a dynasty league, i would keep him but in a redraft...

Anyone else in a similar situation?

It hurts to drop one of your early picks, but there is no point hanging on to him right now. I'm sure a lot of people will come in here and say that you shouldn't have drafted him that early. I'm not going to tell you that but I will tell you to ignore what round you took him in. If he isn't producing, drop him.

Our league commish (8th year of competitive league) dropped DA last week - a 4th round pick (5th round in most leagues), 7th QB off the board.

Pretty gutsy to let go of an early pick after the first quarter of the season, but why not? The sunk cost factor is what it is - it's not going to increase or decrease based on the number of weeks you wait in vain.

He was dropped in my league last week. Another team immediately added him after clearing waivers, but he is riding pine for them.

I guess there is a chance that he becomes productive again, but I wasn't going to waste $5 on that chance. I'd rather have a foot long club from Subway.

I'm in the same situation. I need a bye week Def, and I'm going to drop either Maroney or Selvin, and I think I'll hold on to Maroney just a little longer because of the schedule. After SD, New England plays Denver, St. Louis, and Indy, all who stink against the run (thanks Fantasy S.O.S.). If Maroney can't get any points over that span, he's useless. If he does, I'm going to try and trade him anyway, because that's as good as he'll get.

I dropped him two weeks ago and haven't felt better. I drafted him in the 7th round and thought he could be a nice pick at that spot...haha, yeah right.

He was dropped in my league last week. Another team immediately added him after clearing waivers, but he is riding pine for them.

I guess there is a chance that he becomes productive again, but I wasn't going to waste $5 on that chance. I'd rather have a foot long club from Subway.

Nice, a sub does sound better than taking a chance on Maroney right now. :thumbsup:

Maroney is completely worthless.....fantasy and real football.

Cant believe he got in that Reebok commercial that was played over and over this summer on the NFL network.... you know it. "Traveling North, Traveling North to find you....etc etc etc.

This really has caught me off guard that he has not at least given owners a 60yd rush game with 1 td yet?????????

something smells completely fockn rotten and my 5th rd pick sux at this point. ................. :rolleyes: :overhead: :headbanger:

I suppose you don't have to drop him if there isn't anything better on the wire. However, I would probably dump him for a Sproles or Buckhalter just because of the upside w/ both of the incumbents being severly banged up. Even if Larry Maroney runs for 100 yds this week, he will probably only get 25 yds the following week. Bill has made it very clear that he is going to use all of his RB's every week. It's sad to say, but Larry Maroney is a true fantasy bust.

I dropped him 2 weeks ago and haven't looked back...That backfield is a nightmare for fantasy owners. I say good riddance!

Yep....released him this week and grabbed Hightower. I figured if I was going to roll the dice it may as well be with a guy that is in the offensive set within 20 yards of the goalline. You get that in Hightower. Too many choices in NE....Its a fantasy nightmare

I dropped him 3 weeks ago. Picked up LeRon McClain in his spot. LeRon rides the bench for now - but he's putting up more than Maroney would of if I had needed him. Another owner picked him up for week 5 in the hopes of a soft matchup against SF - but dropped him on Monday morning. I think he'll sit for a while more on the WW until he produces.

I picked him up and he'll ride my bench in hopes that he turns it on during the FF playoffs like he did last year...

Plus who knows what will happen when the weather turns in the Northeast and the Pats are forced to run more!

(fingers crossed)

I'd say if you have the depth stash him away...

He's behind SJAX, Jacobs, CJ3, Fargas and Chestor Taylor on my squad...

In my 12-team league... he was dropped in week 2 and still languishes out in the FA pool.

I picked him up and he'll ride my bench in hopes that he turns it on during the FF playoffs like he did last year...

Plus who knows what will happen when the weather turns in the Northeast and the Pats are forced to run more!

(fingers crossed)

I'd say if you have the depth stash him away...

He's behind SJAX, Jacobs, CJ3, Fargas and Chestor Taylor on my squad...

His owner just dropped him this week too, and picked up Morris. I think I'll see if he clears waivers and do what you did. I'll pick him up and let him ride the bench. I might need him for a bye or you never know. I have Ronnie Brown and if his knees go again <gulp> :shocking:

I'll drop Rudi for Maroney. I took a chance on Rudi when he was named the starter, but the way Detroit is going, he's useless right now. My RB depth is good , so Maroney will be my RB5.

I snagged Maroney after an owner dropped him in one of my leagues but it was mostly just because I had a free roster space (I was dropping my bye week fill-in TE). To be honest, I think the Pats backfield is too messed up for anyone to be startable in anything but really deep leagues... but Maroney *does* have some upside if he can recapture last year's final 6 weeks of magic at some point and there wasn't much else on the scrap heap that amounts to that league's WW.

guy dropped him last week and i nabbed him off waivers. if you have the ability to stash him, he was a force for the Pats at the end of last year and in the playoffs. you never know with Bill B, but it's worth the wait, if you can afford to wait. in 4 of their last 5 games, save the Super Bowl, he had over 100 yds and in the one he didn't, he scored 2 tds.

Maroney looks awful, I would not put too much stock into how he performed at the end of last year. He looks like he is running scared. He completely runs away from contact, and is as hesitant to hit a hole as I have ever seen out of a RB. Did any of you see that game against SF last weekend? Maroney had a chance to run for a first down (I believe it was a 3rd down play), and he got near the sticks and ran out of bounds to avoid the contact. I believe it was Patrick Willis coming to meet him at the first down marker. Point is, he did not even think about getting a first down for his team. He just immediately ran out of bounds to avoid any contact. To me, that shows that his head is not there and he is completely useless, both fantasy and real football.

I just dropped him for K. Smith.

Smith is splitting time with Rudi while Maroney is splitting time with

Jordan, Morris and Faulk. Add in that he just sucks. It was an easy decision.

Maroney looks awful, I would not put too much stock into how he performed at the end of last year. He looks like he is running scared. He completely runs away from contact, and is as hesitant to hit a hole as I have ever seen out of a RB. Did any of you see that game against SF last weekend? Maroney had a chance to run for a first down (I believe it was a 3rd down play), and he got near the sticks and ran out of bounds to avoid the contact. I believe it was Patrick Willis coming to meet him at the first down marker. Point is, he did not even think about getting a first down for his team. He just immediately ran out of bounds to avoid any contact. To me, that shows that his head is not there and he is completely useless, both fantasy and real football.

:thumbsdown:

that's the play right there that I was coming in here to post about (though I believe it was a second and short, not third down).

Maroney took it to the outside, but ran out of bounds before contact and before making the first down.

He was chewed out on the sidelines and didn't see any action for the remainder of the game.

I have no idea if it was just a mental mistake or a physical issue that prevented him from lowering the shoulder.

But I do know that this isn't the first time Maroney has been in the doghouse with the coaches. He's no rookie anymore and if he isn't "getting it" yet, I'm not sure he ever will (at least with NE).

As a Pats fan, it was probably the lowest moment I've seen so far in Maroney's career.

NE cut Chad Jackson already this year so I don't think they'll have any problem benching and eventually cutting/trading Maroney. If he isn't part of their plan, then he just isn't, there won't be any trying to "make him fit" because he's a good runner.

I posted in the pre-season that Maroney is the least versatile of all the NE RBs. Maroney may be their best open field runner (maybe), but he's on the bottom as far as receiving, blocking, and short yardage. The other 4 RBs (Faulk, Morris, Jordan, Evans) are all better in those areas.

NE thrives on versatility.

NE loves interchangeability, it helps create confusion for opposing offenses and defenses.

When Maroney is on the field, he really only does one thing well: run outside... he doesn't pass block well, he doesn't run inside well, he doesn't catch well... so it becomes pretty obvious what NE will or won't do when Maroney is in there. And that's the last thing an offense wants.

Maybe it is physical :

The Boston Globe's Christopher Gasper believes Laurence Maroney's shoulder injury is partially to blame for his hesitancy at the line of scrimmage.

Maroney danced at the line even more than normal against the 49ers in Week 5, and running backs coach Ivan Fears reportedly grew very frustrated with him during the game. Even if he's active against the Chargers Sunday, you don't want him in your lineup.

Source: Boston Globe