Sign in to follow this  
ramblin'wreck

Let's discuss who can revive NE passing games?

Matt Cassel obviously is not the solution. I think the Cassel experiment should be over by now.

Now among these choices, which one do you think can revive the Pats passing game the most.

1. promote Kevin O'Connell - has potentials, but still is inexperience -> My feeling is that he won't fair better than Cassel.
  2. bring in Vinny Testaverde - proven, but at 45 years old, I don't think it will happen
  3. trade for Jon Kitna - strong arm, and proven -> I think Kitna has a the best bet in the Pats offense. Now that he's not starting, the asking price should be lower.

what is your take?

:dunno:

Matt Cassel obviously is not the solution. I think the Cassel experiment should be over by now.

Now among these choices, which one do you think can revive the Pats passing game the most.

1. promote Kevin O'Connell - has potentials, but still is inexperience -> My feeling is that he won't fair better than Cassel.
  2. bring in Vinny Testaverde - proven, but at 45 years old, I don't think it will happen
  3. trade for Jon Kitna - strong arm, and proven -> I think Kitna has a the best bet in the Pats offense. Now that he's not starting, the asking price should be lower.

what is your take?

O'Connell is the only viable option. Vinny is even less mobile than Cassel and the line is as much of the problem as the QB. Cassel is a FA at the end of the season and they will be in the exact same situation next season if they don't give O'Connell the chance to get some experience and show that he can do things better than Cassel.

If they were smart they would have signed Leftwich, who was still a FA going into the season. Same goes for the Cowgirls. Leftwich isn't great, but he's better than Brad Johnson or Matt Cassell.

Kitna doesnt seem to be an option. Lions beat writer (tom kowalski, mlive.com) was on the radio this morning and seems to think something serious is up with Kitnas back.

You want Cassel to look like Tom Brady last year, or Peyton Manning a few years ago? I have the solution for you, and I'm not even kidding.....

Have him play against my beloved Denver Broncos..... he'll look like the offspring from Manning and Brady's love affair.

I'm thinking about picking up Cassel this week and benching Cutler, just because the Broncos D is that focking pathetic. :bandana:

Start Cassel, Moss, Welker, and any RB that the Patriots decide to play, cause they will all have career days against the Broncos. :headbanger:

You want Cassel to look like Tom Brady last year, or Peyton Manning a few years ago? I have the solution for you, and I'm not even kidding.....

Have him play against my beloved Denver Broncos..... he'll look like the offspring from Manning and Brady's love affair.

I'm thinking about picking up Cassel this week and benching Cutler, just because the Broncos D is that focking pathetic. :bandana:

Start Cassel, Moss, Welker, and any RB that the Patriots decide to play, cause they will all have career days against the Broncos. :headbanger:

I'm a Pats fan and I CAN'T WAIT to start Cutler against them next week. Him and Marshall will make Rivers and Jackson look like Pee Wee league. Nothing cures a loss like a big fat wipe out. They will go deep, deep all night.

I think this season is over, we won't even be able to beat the Bills, Dolphins and Jets now, let alone the Colts and Steelers. Either go out and get someone or hand it over to O'Donnell. He can't do worse than Cassell.

And O'Niel looked pathetic.

Did you see the game last night? You should start Cutler with confidence. :cry: :headbanger:

Drew Bledsoe

I said this in another thread last nite: Kansas City is selling players off. Damon Huard is not in their future plans. New England can prolly get Huard for about a 5th or 6th round pick at this point.

Huard can manage a game and make the throws needed. 'Nuff said.

I said this in another thread last nite: Kansas City is selling players off. Damon Huard is not in their future plans. New England can prolly get Huard for about a 5th or 6th round pick at this point.

Did you see the game last night? You should start Cutler with confidence. :lol: :banana:

I'm not saying I don't have confidence in Cutler, I just think that Denver's Defense is so piss poor, that Cassel will have better numbers.

Kitna doesnt seem to be an option. Lions beat writer (tom kowalski, mlive.com) was on the radio this morning and seems to think something serious is up with Kitnas back.
He's always on his back. Yes, that is serious.

and twice in this thread. :banana:

I don't think any outside QB can come in now and save the season. The Pats already had their bye week and it would take any new QB at least two-three weeks to learn the system - and even that is a stretch. I think they really dropped the ball when they invited Chris Simms and Tim Rattay to come in for tryouts and turned them both away as soon as they reached the door.

Rattay has done well when he has stepped in in the past (as recently as last year with Arizona) and would have been a good fit for the Pats system.

My guess is they go with O'Connell. From all indications they like the kid and even as a rookie he couldn't be much worse that what Cassel has given them.

and twice in this thread. :banana:

I don't think any outside QB can come in now and save the season. The Pats already had their bye week and it would take any new QB at least two-three weeks to learn the system - and even that is a stretch. I think they really dropped the ball when they invited Chris Simms and Tim Rattay to come in for tryouts and turned them both away as soon as they reached the door.

Rattay has done well when he has stepped in in the past (as recently as last year with Arizona) and would have been a good fit for the Pats system.

My guess is they go with O'Connell. From all indications they like the kid and even as a rookie he couldn't be much worse that what Cassel has given them.

Screen timed out and reposted when i refreshed, smartazz.

I don't think what the Patriots do is all that complicated. A veteran QB can come in and learn it pretty quickly.

Don't forget, Huard spent three seasons in New England (2001 to 2003), as well as the four previous seasons in Miami.

The problem with Cassell and the rookie is that neither can make quick decisions with the ball. You need a veteran who can manage a game and get their playmakers the ball.

I don't think what the Patriots do is all that complicated. A veteran QB can come in and learn it pretty quickly.

Don't forget, Huard spent three seasons in New England (2001 to 2003), as well as the four previous seasons in Miami.

The problem with Cassell and the rookie is that neither can make quick decisions with the ball. You need a veteran who can manage a game and get their playmakers the ball.

Actually, the system is complex which is why they did not bring in a veteran. It would take them too long to learn the options. Receivers run routes with options depending upon what the defense does. Cassel has been working in this system for 4 years and he stil can't figure it out. :overhead:

Actually, the system is complex which is why they did not bring in a veteran. It would take them too long to learn the options. Receivers run routes with options depending upon what the defense does. Cassel has been working in this system for 4 years and he stil can't figure it out. :huh:

Then again, prior to this year, Cassell's last start was in high school, so what does that tell you, besides the fact that he's well rested?

Has the system really changed so much since Huard was last in a Patriots uniform?

If Belicheat was such a great coach, wouldn't he want to "dumb it down" enough for Cassell to run the offense?

So what you're really saying is that it's the system in place that's made Tom Brady what he is today?

I'm confused. They're not winning because no QB can run the system that is in place, yet their success has never been about the system, but great coaching and the brilliance of Tom Brady?

So why again are they bad this year..... :overhead:

Then again, prior to this year, Cassell's last start was in high school, so what does that tell you, besides the fact that he's well rested?

Has the system really changed so much since Huard was last in a Patriots uniform?

If Belicheat was such a great coach, wouldn't he want to "dumb it down" enough for Cassell to run the offense?

So what you're really saying is that it's the system in place that's made Tom Brady what he is today?

I'm confused. They're not winning because no QB can run the system that is in place, yet their success has never been about the system, but great coaching and the brilliance of Tom Brady?

So why again are they bad this year..... :overhead:

It is not that hard to figure out. Brady has been working in this system for a while and it is tailored to him. They are able to have complex reads for the receivers. Some guys get it (Jabar Gaffney), some guys don't (Chad Jackson). Both the receivers and the QB have to be on the same page to move the offense.

Cassel is very slow at making his reads and often misses the open guy. I think a lot of that is a matter of lack of experience, but I don't think that he can make up that much ground during this season.

It is not that hard to figure out. Brady has been working in this system for a while and it is tailored to him. They are able to have complex reads for the receivers. Some guys get it (Jabar Gaffney), some guys don't (Chad Jackson). Both the receivers and the QB have to be on the same page to move the offense.

Cassel is very slow at making his reads and often misses the open guy. I think a lot of that is a matter of lack of experience, but I don't think that he can make up that much ground during this season.

So why not dumb it down for him? If Belicheat was such a great coach, why doesn't he and the offensive coordinator tailor the offense to his QB, which by the way happens to be the most important position on the field?

Do you think it's Belicheat's arrogance that leads him to believe that Cassell can take a half a season to learn the offense on the fly, then eventually get it, turn it on, and the Patriots will be on their way?

All in all, it's bad coaching. :overhead:

Agreed, I don't think they knew how bad he really was until now (when they needed him the most.)

The only thing I could see why they wouldn't want to throw O'Connell in is that they don't want the guy to get killed out there. The line is pathetic.

I thought they would try out Matt Gutierrez by now and see if he's much worse. He's much more mobile than Cassell.

DID IT LOOK TO ANYONE LIKE MOSS WAS NOT INTERESTED OR TRYING VERY HARD LAST NIGHT? :ninja: HOPE HE NOT GIVING UP LIKE DID WITH RAIDERS?

HOW ABOUT STEVE GROGAN :rolleyes:

DID IT LOOK TO ANYONE LIKE MOSS WAS NOT INTERESTED OR TRYING VERY HARD LAST NIGHT? :ninja: HOPE HE NOT GIVING UP LIKE DID WITH RAIDERS?

How about not typing in all caps?

i do think moss looked like he could care less about making an effort for the ball. he has the ability to be a cancer just like manny did to the red sox! but cassel is more of the problem right now

cassel is pretty good at throwing the screen 3 yards to his left strait into the ground.

i say bring in culpepper and chuck it deep every time atleast it will make moss happy and open up running game :overhead: . culpepper is still very young

I was just bustin' on the double post.

I was trying to remember if Huard played in NE or just Miami, but you are correct of course. In that case it may be a good match, but I'll still say it will be O'Connell - if for nothing just to see if he can backup Brady next year.

Who needs a QB when you have a GENIUS coach like Bellichick?

do what the fins do and go direct snaps...take turns with Moss and Maroney back there....if you want one to pass the ball, fine..but for the majority of times...just run..it works well for miami....

yeah bb without cheating and no brady......hes starting to look like he did in cleveland...

DID IT LOOK TO ANYONE LIKE MOSS WAS NOT INTERESTED OR TRYING VERY HARD LAST NIGHT? :unsure: HOPE HE NOT GIVING UP LIKE DID WITH RAIDERS?

Moss was definitely just going through the motions. There was one ball thrown to him in the end zone that he got his hands on but did not catch. Last year he would have caught that ball for sure.

The perfect scenario for the Patriots would've been the Packers holding on to Favre as long as possible during August and the Patriots trading for him as soon as Brady went down. Favre to Moss would be scary. But turns out the Jets get him first and they now have the same record.

All the different scenarios would be better, but first Bellicheat would have to say he was wrrrrrrrrrooooooooong about Casssel. I don't see that happening in his lifetime.

So why not dumb it down for him? If Belicheat was such a great coach, why doesn't he and the offensive coordinator tailor the offense to his QB, which by the way happens to be the most important position on the field?

Do you think it's Belicheat's arrogance that leads him to believe that Cassell can take a half a season to learn the offense on the fly, then eventually get it, turn it on, and the Patriots will be on their way?

All in all, it's bad coaching. :thumbsdown:

How "dumb" do you want it? Should they adjust the playcalling for the other 10 guys who understand what is going on and then tell the other team to not blitz or not put in different packages?

How about they have a QB who has been in the system actually find the guys who are open rather than looking like a deer in headlights? The o-line has not been protecting real well, but Cassel is a big reason why the offense has been stagnant. He holds the ball when he should get rid of it, he is missing open guys, and there is not a darn thing that coaching can do to overcome that. You cannot scheme a lack of talent.

How "dumb" do you want it? Should they adjust the playcalling for the other 10 guys who understand what is going on and then tell the other team to not blitz or not put in different packages?

How about they have a QB who has been in the system actually find the guys who are open rather than looking like a deer in headlights? The o-line has not been protecting real well, but Cassel is a big reason why the offense has been stagnant. He holds the ball when he should get rid of it, he is missing open guys, and there is not a darn thing that coaching can do to overcome that. You cannot scheme a lack of talent.

Well, the coach could have had at least one competent backup QB on the roster when they ALL sucked in the preseason.