Sign in to follow this  
GreatGray

Ryan Torain

Anybody picked him up this week? Sounds like he'll be the starting RB for the Broncos, which raises some flags immediately, but there's always that potential that he does what we've all been waiting for from the Denver backfield. So is he worth grabbing now, or you waiting to see what happens, or just strearing clear entirely?

I picked him up last week just in case. Denver has a juicy matchup against KC in our first playoff week (wk. 14).

I think it depends if you have a free roster spot for him.

Anybody picked him up this week? Sounds like he'll be the starting RB for the Broncos, which raises some flags immediately, but there's always that potential that he does what we've all been waiting for from the Denver backfield. So is he worth grabbing now, or you waiting to see what happens, or just strearing clear entirely?

I'd stear clear (and I am) unless someone discuss what is so great about this RB (besides just that Shan is supposedly high on him). Anyone see him play? In Denver preseason? In college?

Pittman? Young? What about those guys? Doesn't it seem Shan has changed his philosophy from the days of Davis and Portis and Droughns?

I think hes worth a flier if you have the roster spot, but nowhere I have seen says hes gonna be the starter. I am holding him specifically for week 14 if he is the starter and I need a flex play, but in no way you should be counting on the guy

I'd stear clear (and I am) unless someone discuss what is so great about this RB (besides just that Shan is supposedly high on him). Anyone see him play? In Denver preseason? In college?

Pittman? Young? What about those guys? Doesn't it seem Shan has changed his philosophy from the days of Davis and Portis and Droughns?

I live in Phoenix and saw him play at ASU. He is a beast. He has been long gone in my two leagues; I find it hard to believe you have somebody riding the pine with more potential. Grab him now and thank me later. :banana:

I start Chris Johnson and Ryan Grant.

These are my "flex pine" options I would drop for Torain ....

JStewart

DMcFadden

Felix Jones

Chester Taylor

None of the above are handcuffs (don't own the starters) so don't have them for insurance purposes.

Question is ... would you drop any of the above for Torain??

I start Chris Johnson and Ryan Grant.

These are my "flex pine" options I would drop for Torain ....

JStewart

DMcFadden

Felix Jones

Chester Taylor

None of the above are handcuffs (don't own the starters) so don't have them for insurance purposes.

Question is ... would you drop any of the above for Torain??

I wouldn't drop Stewart or Darren McFadden. I think with your RB situation, even if AP gets hurt, you still might not start Chester Taylor. So, I would take a flier on Torain, give him a 1 or 2 week audition and if he doesn't pan out, then you drop him for someone like Chester Taylor. Alternatively, you could try to package Taylor with another player and trade him to the AP owner for a slight upgrade.

I picked him up mainly for keeper value. Since he wasn't drafted, I can keep him for a 16th round pick next year, and a 14th the next year. Anything he does this year is a bonus, (alsonotreally, because he'll never start for me this year.) I've got the guy "signed" for the next 8 years at a bargain price. It'll be 2017 before I'll have to spend a first round pick on him.

Would you drop Larry Johnson for him?

I'm buying Larry Johnson rather than selling. I definitely wouldn't drop him for Torain. I WOULD find another way to get Torain on your roster if you can. He's a long-shot IMO but potentially very high reward.

Why pick up someone who is hurt at every level he plays at?

He could even make it through camp. :rolleyes:

Why pick up someone who is hurt at every level he plays at?

He could even make it through camp. :rolleyes:

Because his coach compared him to TD. I'll stash him for that reason alone.

The Torain stuff is hilarious. I mean, the guy did well in preseason. He might be a decent RB in Denver, and he might get 6 carries a game. Stash him for the future in a keeper/dynasty? Sure. Really wouldn't expect more than that, though.

The Torain stuff is hilarious. I mean, the guy did well in preseason. He might be a decent RB in Denver, and he might get 6 carries a game. Stash him for the future in a keeper/dynasty? Sure. Really wouldn't expect more than that, though.

I think I disagree. A common thread amongst FF league winners is a player coming out of the blue and helping your team down the stretch (ie R. Grant last year, L. Johnson a few years ago, etc.). The Broncos have a history of plugging some random guy in at RB and making him a stud. I think that when you put these two things together, you get the conclusion that Torain is worth a few week flyer (over some RB on your bench that you will never play).

I don't get the whole "AVOID DENVER RUNNINGBACKS AT ALL COST" mentality. If you need help at runningback, why not grab a guy that's might help you out? I guess if you have no runningbacks you're supposed to sit around with your d¡ck in your hand rather than have the headache of waiting for a guy off waivers to sink or swim. It's zero risk, plenty of reward.

thinking of dropping Fargas for Torian...what do you guys think?? My thinking is I probably I wont use Fargas

and Torian might (MIGHT) blow up....

My RB's are Barber, Stewart, F Jones, Hightower and Fargas...

what do you guys thing???

I don't know enough about Torain to state whether or not he will be successful. I grabbed him and stashed him on my bench hoping that he would produce at some point. I am in a keeper league and grabbed him at the minimum salary so if he does anything I will be able to keep him for 3 years at low cost.

I tried to look up some highlights after reading this thread and found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_bdlrXQczU

From watching this video I see:

The line had big holes to run through.

Ran to contact instead of away from contact.

I did not see break away speed or Torain pulling away from anyone in the highlights

He did seem to have a nose for the end-zone.

I saw one pass play where he caught the ball with his hands instead of letting the ball come into his body.

Definitaly a North/South runner but tried to dance a little when in the hole.

Might be a good fit for the 1 cut system employed by Denver. Don't know about his speed though.

Edited to add: After looking at the tape a 2nd time it looks like that he is finishing runs instead of running to contact. He is getting an additional 2 yards or so and delivering the blow instead of taking the hit when there aren't other options.

Just my observations. Feel free to add yours.

Torain, wihtout a doubt, get's this year kool aid award.

And I'm drinking :headbanger:

This talk about Torain does not even come close to comparing with the hype on Ray Rice..

Remember him? :doublethumbsup:

Kidding right? Fargas

no not kiddin....just trying to get a possible bang out ot Torian...I have Barber, F Jones, Hightower, Stewart and Fargas...I probably wont play Fargas and I have an idea on what he will give me the rest of the year...3-7 points a week....

no not kiddin....just trying to get a possible bang out ot Torian...I have Barber, F Jones, Hightower, Stewart and Fargas...I probably wont play Fargas and I have an idea on what he will give me the rest of the year...3-7 points a week....

I'd say Hightower in that case. Consider McFadden's turf toe.

I'd say Hightower in that case. Consider McFadden's turf toe.

'Hawk82' ....yeah thats my other option ..just thinking of using Hightower for the bye on Stewart and Barber which would be Rams and 49's vs ATL and Carolin for Fargas....assuiming Torian isnt back....but you do make an excellent point..thx..

Because his coach compared him to TD. I'll stash him for that reason alone.

Exactly. Count me in, I too am drinking the kool aide.

Part of the reason the Denver RB situation has sucked in recent years might also have something to do with the fact that no one has stepped up and taken the job out right since they traded Portis.

No one complained about ratface back when Portis, Mike Anderson, Orlandis Gary, & Terrell Davis were piling up fantasy points.

I grabbed him and stashed him. Time will tell but if you have room, why not, the potential is there, the hype is there, the Den RB history is there, and every year in FF there is a relatively unknown player or two that comes out of nowhere and tears it up the 2nd half of the season.

I'm in. Good kool aide :ninja:

I stashed him, but won't trust him until Ratface gives him the ball. But a great keeper for next year.

Exactly. Count me in, I too am drinking the kool aide.

Part of the reason the Denver RB situation has sucked in recent years might also have something to do with the fact that no one has stepped up and taken the job out right since they traded Portis.

No one complained about ratface back when Portis, Mike Anderson, Orlandis Gary, & Terrell Davis were piling up fantasy points.

I grabbed him and stashed him. Time will tell but if you have room, why not, the potential is there, the hype is there, the Den RB history is there, and every year in FF there is a relatively unknown player or two that comes out of nowhere and tears it up the 2nd half of the season.

I'm in. Good kool aide :nono:

Torain is a plodder with no real vision who does not fit a one cut zone blocking scheme like Denver's very well. Shanny has already promoted him to the Hall of Fame just like he pimped T Bell, M Bell, and S Young before him.

Pittman (even at his advanced age) is a far more complete runner. Torain would do much better behind a big o-line that can open a hole and get him his 3.5 YPC.

Two warnings here:

1. Stay away from Torain except as a pure speculation, hoping he has one good game and then sell high.

2. Stay away from ANY Denver RB, period.

For any who ARE tempted, there is a group that meets every Wednesday night at St Matt's church. They start off their meetings by saying "Hi, my name is _____, and I've been New England and Denver running back free for _____years.

Believe it or not, this support group has turned many (fantasy football) lives around and made them productive.

Two warnings here:

1. Stay away from Torain except as a pure speculation, hoping he has one good game and then sell high.

2. Stay away from ANY Denver RB, period.

For any who ARE tempted, there is a group that meets every Wednesday night at St Matt's church. They start off their meetings by saying "Hi, my name is _____, and I've been New England and Denver running back free for _____years.

Believe it or not, this support group has turned many (fantasy football) lives around and made them productive.

:thumbsup:

I've never drafted a back from either in my 10+ years in FF. Actually maybe Kevin Faulk in a late round once. Still think Torain is worth a flyer at this point though.

The BIGGEST hype ever???

Why would anyone drop a proven player for this guy!???!

1. He's a rookie

2. He's always hurt

3. He's a Denver RB

4. He could be fourth string behind Pittman, Young, and Hall

I just don't get out anyone would drop the likes of C Taylor, F Jones, McFadden, Hightower, Fargas, or Stewart for this HUGE question mark. Each of these guys has proven they can score points. Torain has proven he can get hurt.

Why oh why would you drop anything of value for him???

:unsure:

But I guess, this is why some teams win at FF and others lose.

:wall:

Sorry for the delay...but just to clear things up:

What can I make of Ryan Torain?

"I can make a hat or a broach or a pterodactyl."

Thank you.

Sorry for the delay...but just to clear things up:

What can I make of Ryan Torain?

"I can make a hat or a broach or a pterodactyl."

Thank you.

:pointstosky:

This post made me forget about Denver RBs and go rent "Airplane!".