Sign in to follow this  
fugoondo

Donnie Avery

Im playing him over:

Bowe, Santonio Holmes, and Eddie Royal.

My league gives bonus points for long TD plays, so Im going for the big points.

Think he keeps it going vs ARI?

He's on my bench too behind A.J. and Boldin but make no mistake, this guy is a beast in the making. He may be on the bench the rest of the season but that's some great insurance if I lose one of the aforementioned studs.

Would you guys consider trading him to upgrade another spot?

In various leagues, i've got him starting over:

Lee Evans

Roy Williams

T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Chad Johnson

Terrell Owens

I'm debating if I should start him or not.

Should I start Avery over L. Coles if my opponent is playing Marc Bulger as his QB? Or am I over thinking things?

Yeah I think you're overthinking things just by worrying about who your opponent is starting BUT I would start Avery over Coles this week. Arizona vs St. Louis may turn into a shootout and you know Avery will get some love.

Well I couldnt decide between the two and I figured the fact that he has Bulger starting made the decision for me because if Bulger is throwing TD's to Avery I'll match those points but it's also a strategy that could blow up in my face. Either way I still think Avery might be the better option.

Starting Avery over S. Moss.

Moss's hammy issue scares me a bit. Plus Moss is somewhat streaky and St.L versus ARIZ should be a shootout. And, S-Jax might not even play (which could actually hurt the Rams' passing game). But hopefully it means more looks for Avery.

Well I couldnt decide between the two and I figured the fact that he has Bulger starting made the decision for me because if Bulger is throwing TD's to Avery I'll match those points but it's also a strategy that could blow up in my face. Either way I still think Avery might be the better option.

First, start who you think will get the most points. Your WR's points don't change according to who throws to him so why should you care who your opponent starts?

Second, this is an ideal matchup for Avery so play it. 4.2 speed AND great hands? Keep riding that pony til he throws you. :thumbsup:

I got Avery starting over TO. If Wayne doesn't pick it up, he'll be riding the pine with TO as well.

Starting Avery over S. Moss.

Moss's hammy issue scares me a bit. Plus Moss is somewhat streaky and St.L versus ARIZ should be a shootout. And, S-Jax might not even play (which could actually hurt the Rams' passing game). But hopefully it means more looks for Avery.

I was thinking the same thing. Moss also has a tendancy to do almost nothing against a really good D. Pitt will be looking for revenge after that horrible loss to the giants.

I just picked him up. Won't start him. I have Boldin, Wayne, Santana, and Matt Jones. Good to have a quality back up in case of injuries.

He's on my bench too behind A.J. and Boldin but make no mistake, this guy is a beast in the making. He may be on the bench the rest of the season but that's some great insurance if I lose one of the aforementioned studs.

Would you guys consider trading him to upgrade another spot?

Filthy, I got your back here since nobody else has answered you. No, absolutely do not trade him to upgrade. You have a very solid team in your sig, so to upgrade you would have to work a pretty good deal and may end up giving up to much in the process. Also, most teams are one or two key injuries away from falling apart, a guy like Avery offers tremendous insurance for you. Plus, even if he never starts for you, you're keeping his points away from everyone else in your league.

I have him on my team, and he'll prolly stay on the bench as I have Fitz, Wayne, and Lee Evans in front of him, but I love having him on my team in case I start having to deal with the injury bug. I originally figured I'd ride Fitz and Wayne all year long and only need Evans as a bye filler, but Evans has also turned out to be a steal for me as I started him last week over Wayne and I'm doing the same again this week.

Sometimes it's not worth upgrading your team from "solid" to "spectacular" because you make yourself overly susceptible to injury. One or two bad ones in that situation and you might as well pack it in for the year. JMHO. :thumbsup:

I'm debating if I should start him or not.

Should I start Avery over L. Coles if my opponent is playing Marc Bulger as his QB? Or am I over thinking things?

:doh:

The "Cancel-Out Theory." Absolutely the most over-hyped, ridiculous theory in ff. :nono: It doesn't work. Filthy said it right, start the guys you think are going to score the most points. PERIOD. It does you no good to leave points on the bench hoping that your yards/tds will offset your opponents.

In your case, Avery is the better start anyways, so it doesn't matter. But, nevah, evah, evah, evah use the cancel out theory. It's trash. Start the players you think will score the most points and roll with that. :thumbsup:

Thanks, this is my first year playing fantasy football and this board has been a big help in keeping me alive in my leagues! I guess as a newbie you tend to think about silly strategies to try and get whatever edge you can get.

Thanks, this is my first year playing fantasy football and this board has been a big help in keeping me alive in my leagues! I guess as a newbie you tend to think about silly strategies to try and get whatever edge you can get.

Fugehdaboudit. :doh:

Hang around here for a little while and you'll find several people who profess to have extensive ff experience and will ask about or promote the cancel out theory.. :nono:

It just doesn't work. You'd hate to lose by 3 points while having a player on your bench outscore your starter by 10 when you chose the starter simply because they would hopefully cancel out some of your opponent's points.

If your new to ff, two important points you always need to remember: 1) start the people you think will score the most points & 2) never, ever, EVER bench your studs.

If you violate rule #2 and bench one of your studs because he has a "poor" matchup, you will regret it in less time than it took to set your lineup. Sometimes your stud(s) will get shut down, but that's just ff. Many times, your stud(s) will blow up against a "poor" matchup and score a ton of points. That's what makes them elite, they produce when people don't expect them to.

Anyways, GL with ff. :thumbsup:

I hate the cancel out theory BUT

I had to choose between starting Romo or Favre in the afternoon game ... we were about tied going in and he had Coles left.

Normally, I start Romo no questions asked but in this one I started Favre.

Here it works :unsure:

Stiill undecided! I have Smith,Marshall,Cotchery,Jennngs and Avery. I also have to choose if I'm going to go with 2 WR's or 3. But I can fill that 3rd slot with a RB. I have Barber,Forte,Turner,MJD, and Rhodes.

Filthy, I got your back here since nobody else has answered you. No, absolutely do not trade him to upgrade. You have a very solid team in your sig, so to upgrade you would have to work a pretty good deal and may end up giving up to much in the process. Also, most teams are one or two key injuries away from falling apart, a guy like Avery offers tremendous insurance for you. Plus, even if he never starts for you, you're keeping his points away from everyone else in your league.

I have him on my team, and he'll prolly stay on the bench as I have Fitz, Wayne, and Lee Evans in front of him, but I love having him on my team in case I start having to deal with the injury bug. I originally figured I'd ride Fitz and Wayne all year long and only need Evans as a bye filler, but Evans has also turned out to be a steal for me as I started him last week over Wayne and I'm doing the same again this week.

Sometimes it's not worth upgrading your team from "solid" to "spectacular" because you make yourself overly susceptible to injury. One or two bad ones in that situation and you might as well pack it in for the year. JMHO. :overhead:

Appreciate the feedback, Blade and I agree with you. Schaub and Avery are pretty much my insurance policies for the rest of the year. :overhead:

If your new to ff, two important points you always need to remember: 1) start the people you think will score the most points & 2) never, ever, EVER bench your studs.

May I add a 3rd one to that?

#3. Don't make changes to your lineup on Sunday unless you're subbing out a guy who isn't playing. DO NOT MAKE SUBSTITUTIONS BASED ON GUT CALLS ON SUNDAY. If you've done your homework during the week and paid attention to injury reports, let those decisions ride. Like testing, your first guess is usually (but not always) correct. Percentages favor AGAINST those gut call changes on Sunday AM.

I hate the cancel out theory BUT

I had to choose between starting Romo or Favre in the afternoon game ... we were about tied going in and he had Coles left.

Normally, I start Romo no questions asked but in this one I started Favre.

Here it works :bandana:

I respectfully disagree Frank. Suppose the unlikely situation occurs. Favre throws to Coles only (highly unlikely) that day and say your league is like mine: PPR and 1 pt per 10 yds receiving and 1 pt for 15 yds passing. Favre throws a 45 yd TD to Coles, giving you 9 points to his 11.5 = net loss. Yeah it wouldn't go down like that but unless the matchup were horrible for Romo, I wouldn't start Favre over him. Brett is an INT machine this year (11 to 16 TDs) and 6 of his 16 TDs were in that Arizona game where Warner handed the ball to the Jets like 6 times inside the 50.

I'm starting Avery over Terrell Owens. I'll probably regret that decision by Sunday evening, but I just can't fathom another 3 catch / 50 yard stinker due to Brad Johnson "managing" the game.

I just picked him up. Won't start him. I have Boldin, Wayne, Santana, and Matt Jones. Good to have a quality back up in case of injuries.

Pretty sure Matt Jones is your backup.

I'm starting him over Desean Jackson.

Same here...and Santonio.

Though...if Wayne does not practice I will be starting both Jackson and Avery.

Starting him over Braylon or Ocho. I'll have DeSean,Avery and one of those guys.

Threads like this make me nervous. It's like a jinx. He's been hot and he has a nice matchup, but this thread means he will only get a couple catches for 40-some yards. I'm benching him.

Threads like this make me nervous. It's like a jinx. He's been hot and he has a nice matchup, but this thread means he will only get a couple catches for 40-some yards. I'm benching him.

Bench him for who? I've been starting TJ Housh every week only to end up with roughly 50 yards a game. Worst case Avery performs Housh-like and I'm no worse than where I started :overhead:

Bench him for who? I've been starting TJ Housh every week only to end up with roughly 50 yards a game. Worst case Avery performs Housh-like and I'm no worse than where I started :music_guitarred:

Much better options, but the point remains. This is like the Madden Curse.

In various leagues

Royal

Coles

Welker

Cotchery

Harrison

Bowe

Holmes

Basically starting him everywhere I own him. Cardinals are the 3rd best team to start a WR against.

In various leagues

Royal

Coles

Welker

Cotchery

Harrison

Bowe

Holmes

Basically starting him everywhere I own him. Cardinals are the 3rd best team to start a WR against.

I just traded for him and starting him alongside Andre Johnson (Steve Smith on a bye). Portis, MJD, Cutler....I'm hoping for a solid week against a guy one game up on me....

I just picked him up-starting him over D Jax, my receivers are:

D Jax

Breaston

Colston (Bye)

Santana

Holt

Matt Jones

Bobby Engram

Avery

Should I start Holt and Avery, or another 3 with Avery? I have Adrian Peterson and Steve Slaton, Kevin Faulk . Can play 4 wides and a RB or 2 RB and 3 wides.

I know this isn't for advice, but saw a suggestion by cbs to start both Avery and Holt because of matchup-any thoughts?