Sign in to follow this  
jocstrap

Caught my supervisor stealing cash again

we have about $300-$500 cash come through daily. My clubhouse supervisor writes down our daily deposits and makes the banks runs. I put the daily totals in Quick books pro. Our bank statements have had mistakes lately from what she's been writing down in the books. There have also been a lot of eraser marks lately in our daily journal. I've been watching since November 21st. I'll go in late at night or early in the morning to count the cash before she does as of late. This was the 3rd day out of about 10 where she has had sticky fingers.

She does a great job....but FOCK.

What to do, What to do

Tomorrow I will confront her and watch her squirm. I'm so focking pissed right now. Should I give here the axe? Or give her one more chance? She would be very hard to replace. UGH

we have about $300-$500 cash come through daily. My clubhouse supervisor writes down our daily deposits and makes the banks runs. I put the daily totals in Quick books pro. Our bank statements have had mistakes lately from what she's been writing down in the books. There have also been a lot of eraser marks lately in our daily journal. I've been watching since November 21st. I'll go in late at night or early in the morning to count the cash before she does as of late. This was the 3rd day out of about 10 where she has had sticky fingers.

What to do, What to do

Tomorrow I will confront her and watch her squirm. I'm so focking pissed right now. Should I give here the axe? Or give her one more chance? She would be very hard to replace. UGH

Is she hot? If she is use this info as blackmail to get what you want from her. If she is a troll give her the boot and call the cops.

Why haven't you fired her already?

She obviously doesn't think much of you.. Like my dad always said, "only reasons why someone would steal from you or lie to you is they think you're too dumb to know the difference"

Why haven't you fired her already?

She obviously doesn't think much of you.. Like my dad always said, "only reasons why someone would steal from you or lie to you is they think you're too dumb to know the difference"

Hard to replace is my concern - I like what your dad says

What to do, What to do

Do a Dalton on her. :(

Personally, I'd fire her. But, if yer looking for an alternative, give her an "out". Find a way to either

1) drop a warning that someone's gonna have to get fired if any more shortages / discrepancies occur. or:

2) think of a way for her to make-up that amount by being 'over' tomorrow.

I'm not advocating either, but if replacement is an issue, hell, $60 isn't irrecoverable. If you want to give her a 2nd chance, maybe just confront her and give her the option. She'll either 1) Deny Deny Deny - and quit in mock outrage (shame) or: 2) Mend her ways. She may not admit, but the theft should end.

Good luck.

If i were to steal or something, i'd say its more that i think i'm too smart to get caught rather than the person being too dumb to figure it out. Real similar, but i'd look for flaws in the system that makes it hard for me to get caught, now flaws in the people who oversee the system.

$60 isn't a huge amount. You should give her another chance. She'll cry and say you know the economy is down right now and its tough times blah blah blah. Tell her if it happens again she's fired, no ifs ands or butts about it.

If i were to steal or something, i'd say its more that i think i'm too smart to get caught rather than the person being too dumb to figure it out. Real similar, but i'd look for flaws in the system that makes it hard for me to get caught, now flaws in the people who oversee the system.

$60 isn't a huge amount. You should give her another chance. She'll cry and say you know the economy is down right now and its tough times blah blah blah. Tell her if it happens again she's fired, no ifs ands or butts about it.

I was thinking $60 X's 40 good weeks is the problem. She just finished her 2nd year. I wouldn't be surprised if this has been occuring all of 2008. 2k is a real possibility :lol:

can't be that hard to replace a thief. :lol: stealing is one of the few things you cannot overlook.

I was thinking $60 X's 40 good weeks is the problem. She just finished her 2nd year. I wouldn't be surprised if this has been occuring all of 2008. 2k is a real possibility :banana:

Okay, that's a new element. Hit the bricks kid. Hope you stole enough to get you through Christmas. :lol:

Before I call you an idiot let me make sure I understand. She collects the cash, writes down how much cash was collected and then deposites the cash in the bank?

Before I call you an idiot let me make sure I understand. She collects the cash, writes down how much cash was collected and then deposites the cash in the bank?

You got a problem with that?? :lol:

Talking to jocstrap. The chick should be fired period but she is not the problem. She is only a symptom of the problem. The problem, if the procedures are as I stated, is he has no controls to safe guard cash. It will only be a matter of time before the new person is stealing from him. Basic cash control: the person that collects the cash, doesn't record the cash and make the deposits. It is possible someone is reconciling register receipts, credit card receipts and cash so I thought I would ask before I called him and idiot for being surprised someone was stealing from him.

Personally, I'd fire her. But, if yer looking for an alternative, give her an "out". Find a way to either

1) drop a warning that someone's gonna have to get fired if any more shortages / discrepancies occur. or:

2) think of a way for her to make-up that amount by being 'over' tomorrow.

I'm not advocating either, but if replacement is an issue, hell, $60 isn't irrecoverable. If you want to give her a 2nd chance, maybe just confront her and give her the option. She'll either 1) Deny Deny Deny - and quit in mock outrage (shame) or: 2) Mend her ways. She may not admit, but the theft should end.

Good luck.

Very good advice wiffle - she won't make it up tomorrow in the cash register, but perhaps the stealing will end. She can deny all she wants, but no one touched that money today except her after I counted it.

Just a quick thought.

I have been in 100s of unemployment hearings, claims, and wrongful termination cases. Depending on the size of your operation there is the potential of a wrongful termination lawsuit. In that situation it is you that would have the bruden of proving your methods for handling cash, and they proof that she is the one who is taking it. If you are not 100% confident that your evidence could be defended in court. Then you may want to consider a discussion with her and a new method of handling the cash.

at the end of the night 10:00pm our night shift puts all the money and receipts in the safe. In the morning my supervisor takes the money bag and sorts through receipts/cash/checks and writes it down in our daily journal.

daily sign ins at $5.00 each X 175

pro shop sales

racquet stringing

etc.

makes the receipts and cash =.

However, she has been apparently throwing away $30 worth of receipts and taking that cash. Oh, it all still works out when she is done. She just doesn't know I've been counting before here.

Once all is counted, she's takes that deposit to the bank.

I then input the daily journal into quick books pro.

CAN SIZE?! :nono:

Eh, she probably stuffs them.....

With Jocstraps CASH :mad:

Talking to jocstrap. The chick should be fired period but she is not the problem. She is only a symptom of the problem. The problem, if the procedures are as I stated, is he has no controls to safe guard cash. It will only be a matter of time before the new person is stealing from him. Basic cash control: the person that collects the cash, doesn't record the cash and make the deposits. It is possible someone is reconciling register receipts, credit card receipts and cash so I thought I would ask before I called him and idiot for being surprised someone was stealing from him.

This is the problem no doubt - I'm getting $5.00 to death. You are no doubt correct about the next person doing the same thing. I can't stay there from 8:00am to 10:00pm to make sure my employees aren't swiping the cash. I'm really thinking about a video camera right over the cash register. I have about 10 full time and part time employees collecting court fee's 7 days a week.

I counted all the money the 1st year and half we were open (4 years now). I've delegated that to the proshop supervisor the past couple of years.

Just a quick thought.

I have been in 100s of unemployment hearings, claims, and wrongful termination cases. Depending on the size of your operation there is the potential of a wrongful termination lawsuit. In that situation it is you that would have the bruden of proving your methods for handling cash, and they proof that she is the one who is taking it. If you are not 100% confident that your evidence could be defended in court. Then you may want to consider a discussion with her and a new method of handling the cash.

I counted the money at 10:30 this morning - she was the only person there today b/c of rain. She counted the money while I was at lunch.

100% sure she is doing this.

You bring up a very good point on wrongful termination.

This is the problem no doubt - I'm getting $5.00 to death. You are no doubt correct about the next person doing the same thing. I can't stay there from 8:00am to 10:00pm to make sure my employees aren't swiping the cash. I'm really thinking about a video camera right over the cash register. I have about 10 full time and part time employees collecting court fee's 7 days a week.

I counted all the money the 1st year and half we were open (4 years now). I've delegated that to the proshop supervisor the past couple of years.

Is it possible to use a cash register that stores receipts on a network or disk? It won't completely stop the problem but it will give a better way to independently reconcile receipts to collections/deposits.

Is it possible to use a cash register that stores receipts on a network or disk? It won't completely stop the problem but it will give a better way to independently reconcile receipts to collections/deposits.

Jeez Bert, this sounds complicated but a good idea. I will have to look into cash registers to see if this is possible.

CAN SIZE?! :nono:

I don't look - I'm happily married with my wife's 36C and tight ass body :mad:

Eh, she probably stuffs them.....

With Jocstraps CASH :nono:

yes yes, this is good :mad:

Maybe I'll start counting the money again, and fill up my Jocstrap!

My only suggestion would either be the register with the tapes that you have proof of...or you make sure that she counts in double custody...someone else ALWAYS there counting it with her.

You could also randomly suggest that you'd like to take on counting the cash again for a bit, just because the cash being short has you a little concerned.

This would both eliminate her being alone with the $$$ (which seems to be the case frequently), and will also put the bug in her ear that you're suspicious of something.

I worked for a retail store once when the manager was taking cash from the registers. I was an Assistant Manager, so when the other AM and I approached the District Manager, and they still didn't fire her, I had to look for a new job. She made the job a little more difficult for me, and I couldn't work for a company without integrity, or care that they were losing money.

Hard to replace is my concern - I like what your dad says

Newbie and BiPolar are looking for jobs :dunno:

Your first step: Call an employee meeting with all the people who handle the cash. Tell them that the books have been coming up short enough that you are concerned that someone is stealing money, and that it had better stop. Don't make personal accusations and don't let on that you think it is her specifically.

If she stops stealing, you are golden. If not, then you need to put together a solid case (like HD said) and fire her.

My only suggestion would either be the register with the tapes that you have proof of...or you make sure that she counts in double custody...someone else ALWAYS there counting it with her.

You could also randomly suggest that you'd like to take on counting the cash again for a bit, just because the cash being short has you a little concerned.

This would both eliminate her being alone with the $$$ (which seems to be the case frequently), and will also put the bug in her ear that you're suspicious of something.

I worked for a retail store once when the manager was taking cash from the registers. I was an Assistant Manager, so when the other AM and I approached the District Manager, and they still didn't fire her, I had to look for a new job. She made the job a little more difficult for me, and I couldn't work for a company without integrity, or care that they were losing money.

New Girl - this is good stuff. I like everything you have said here.

Your first step: Call an employee meeting with all the people who handle the cash. Tell them that the books have been coming up short enough that you are concerned that someone is stealing money, and that it had better stop. Don't make personal accusations and don't let on that you think it is her specifically.

If she stops stealing, you are golden. If not, then you need to put together a solid case (like HD said) and fire her.

I'm nervous about personal accusations. But she has been the only one to count the money after it's been in the safe. She is for sure stealing 100% I am positive.

My employee meeting would be me and her - this is all occuring after the money has been put in the safe.

I'm nervous about personal accusations. But she has been the only one to count the money after it's been in the safe. She is for sure stealing 100% I am positive.

My employee meeting would be me and her - this is all occuring after the money has been put in the safe.

Call a meeting with everyone who handles cash (i.e., not just her, but all the cashiers as well). Don't say that you know exactly where the shortage is coming from--just say that you are coming up short, you'd hate to think that somebody would be stealing from you, and that it had better stop.

Call a meeting with everyone who handles cash (i.e., not just her, but all the cashiers as well). Don't say that you know exactly where the shortage is coming from--just say that you are coming up short, you'd hate to think that somebody would be stealing from you, and that it had better stop.

But I do know where the shortage is coming from - this is a good idea to scare everyone else though

But I do know where the shortage is coming from - this is a good idea to scare everyone else though

Yes, but she doesn't need to know you know. Let her think that everything goes back to normal if she just stops. And if you need to fire her without getting any physical evidence that she's stealing, don't give her ammo for a wrongful termination suit.

Well, I suppose it has the added benefit of scaring everyone else so they won't get the same idea, but the real point is that you cannot be accused of making false accusations because you aren't accusing anyone in particular. Not yet, anyway.

Well, I suppose it has the added benefit of scaring everyone else so they won't get the same idea, but the real point is that you cannot be accused of making false accusations because you aren't accusing anyone in particular. Not yet, anyway.

I'm going to tell her that I've counted the money 2 hours before her the past few days. The cash has lessened from the safe each time after she prepares the bank deposit. No one else touches the money then. She gets in the safe, and I get in the safe. False accusations has me worried so I must proceed carefully. But she is stealing, no denying it.

$13.00 an hour plus health

You take in only a few hundred dollars daily, but pay this b!tch $13/hr + Bennies???

Maybe retail isn't your thing. :thumbsdown:

You know that she is stealing cash, but what about product? How do you know that she isn't giving her frends rackets and other goodies? Do you have inventory control?

The cash could just be the tip of the iceberg.

You take in only a few hundred dollars daily, but pay this b!tch $13/hr + Bennies???

Maybe retail isn't your thing. :thumbsdown:

You know that she is stealing cash, but what about product? How do you know that she isn't giving her frends rackets and other goodies? Do you have inventory control?

The cash could just be the tip of the iceberg.

City subsidies baby - local tax dollars to the tone of 240k annually to pay our bills. We don't sell racquets, stringing is #1 then only little things like grips, visors, bags, and such for sale. Cash is her thing.

Can you change the combo on the safe?