Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

Who wins NFL MVP?

topics prolly been done to death but who do we think wins the MVP?

i put a bet down a few weeks ago on Kurt Warner at 7 to 1 odds. He hurt his chances with that game last week but lets look at what he has done.

Wins the starting job in camp, will finish the season 2nd in passing yards behind Brees, 3rd in TD's behind Rivers and Brees, top 3 in passer rating most likely, and has lead the Cardinals to their first division championship since 75 and first playoff berth since 98.

the only others i would consider would be Peyton, ADP and honestly Matt Ryan.

Warner's an ok choice but without being in the weakest div in the NFL, he's on a sub 500 team. Peyton is the winner IMO. Coming off 2 surgeries, struggling early with young offensive line, no running game all year, and yet still end up 12-4. His team is 5-1 against this year's playoff teams, 6-1 if SD wins tonight. That's pretty impressive.

I think it is Peyton Manning as well, but they will give it to Brees for the 5000 yard season most likely. :overhead:

I think it is Peyton Manning as well, but they will give it to Brees for the 5000 yard season most likely. :overhead:

Brees doesn't have a chance. I think it's Manning in a landslide.

Personally, I would pick either Westbrook or Pennington over him. Even Brees.

Manning was a liability to his team early in the year and they got far too many breaks (Minn, Hou, etc).

Manning will probably win it because he is the sexy pick, but Pennington deserves it WAY more.

Brees doesn't have a chance. I think it's Manning in a landslide.

It should be. I hope you are right about this. These things have a way of not working out right from time to time, although the NFL usually gets their awards right most of the time.

I think it will be Manning, though I think Matt Ryan should be considered. They won 4 games last season, have a rookiecoach and some say the NFC South is one the toughest divisions in the NFL. Many good players to consider though.

Warner's out of conference record is a joke and he is throwing to the two best receivers in the game. There is no way he is the MVP. I might have to say Turner or Pennington. They are key pleyers on teams that were slated to do nothing. But we all know it will go to Manning... This is a popularity race after all.

I'm gonna say DeAngelo Williams. The Panthers are the #2 seed and one thing has been constant with them all year....DeAngelo Williams. Delhomme had stretches where he was terrible, Smith was suspended a few games, the defense wasn't always on top of their game.

The one constant was DeAngelo Williams putting up 100+ and scoring TD's.

He ends the season with 1555 yards and 20 TD's. Eight games of 100+ yards, 2 games with 4 TD's. All this while sharing carries. I know they like to give the award to a QB, but I think DWill has a legit argument to be the league MVP.

I'm gonna say DeAngelo Williams. The Panthers are the #2 seed and one thing has been constant with them all year....DeAngelo Williams. Delhomme had stretches where he was terrible, Smith was suspended a few games, the defense wasn't always on top of their game.

He ends the season with 1555 yards and 20 TD's. Eight games of 100+ yards, 2 games with 4 TD's. All this while sharing carries. I know they like to give the award to a QB, but I think DWill has a legit argument to be the league MVP.

He had a very slow start - he had 11 of his 16 TDs in the last 4 weeks. Besides, I don't know if there has ever been an MVP that didn't make the Pro Bowl.

Most definitely. Fantastic year for a RB. I still hope Manning wins it, but DWiLL is worthy.

He had a very slow start - he had 11 of his 16 TDs in the last 4 weeks. Besides, I don't know if there has ever been an MVP that didn't make the Pro Bowl.

Too funny, how in the hell could he not make the Pro Bowl?! There is noway anyone deserves it more than him!!

Warner's out of conference record is a joke and he is throwing to the two best receivers in the game. There is no way he is the MVP. I might have to say Turner or Pennington. They are key pleyers on teams that were slated to do nothing. But we all know it will go to Manning... This is a popularity race after all.

:thumbsdown:

Too funny, how in the hell could he not make the Pro Bowl?! There is noway anyone deserves it more than him!!

That would be funny to see them explain that one. Beyond Belief that he didn't make the Pro Bowl.

It's going to be a QB, because it's always a QB. Pennington has meant the most to his team and should win, but he lacks gaudy stats. Manning could win, but the award would be a ho-hummer; there's no inspirational story to go with it, and no dominant performance like the 50-TD year. Warner will win it. He has the stats and the story, bringing respectibility back to a floundering franchise and flashing the kind of ability that made him Ringmaster of the Gratest Show on Turf. The 2008 MVP is Kurt Warner.

Michael Turner :rolleyes:

It's a amazing how little attention Turner gets and how much Ryan gets.

I'm gonna have to jump on the Turner bandwagon on this one.

If Ryan wasn't a rookie he might get more consideration.

my vote goes

1) Rivers- no 1 in TD's no 1 in QB rating no 1 in td/int rate, no 1 4th quarter QB rating, no 1 in QB rating when trailing, and a terrible ground game

2) Turner- definately took all the pressure off Ryan incredible no's

3) Peyton- he has lead his team but trails Rivers in EVERY offensive category.

however

I think Peyton wins, cause the NFL loves him and he has good commercials

and I also think it would be cool if the NFL MVP didnt make it to the Pro-bowl

I'll stick with my fellow Chargers homers cblue and RaiderHater'sRevenge and say Rivers should merit consideration for MVP. IMO, he was the best, most consistent QB in the NFL all season, yet he's flown under the radar all year behind guys like Cutler, Brees and Manning. Maybe a deep playoff run by the Chargers will get him the recognition he deserves.

No way P Manning should be MVP. Pennington or Rivers or even Ryan deserve it more. Turner is right up there along with D Williams and ADP, too.

My vote goes to...P Rivers. Wow, that guy had a GREAT yuear. Too bad the D sucks.

Personally, I would pick either Westbrook or Pennington over him. Even Brees.

Manning was a liability to his team early in the year and they got far too many breaks (Minn, Hou, etc).

Manning will probably win it because he is the sexy pick, but Pennington deserves it WAY more.

You are one bitter dude and can't let your dislike for the Colts and Manning get out of the way for an objective thought.

No way P Manning should be MVP. Pennington or Rivers or even Ryan deserve it more. Turner is right up there along with D Williams and ADP, too.

My vote goes to...P Rivers. Wow, that guy had a GREAT yuear. Too bad the D sucks.

No QB on an 8-8 team that gets to play the Broncos, Raiders, and Chiefs twice each deserves the MVP.

It's going to be a QB, because it's always a QB. Pennington has meant the most to his team and should win, but he lacks gaudy stats. Manning could win, but the award would be a ho-hummer; there's no inspirational story to go with it, and no dominant performance like the 50-TD year. Warner will win it. He has the stats and the story, bringing respectibility back to a floundering franchise and flashing the kind of ability that made him Ringmaster of the Gratest Show on Turf. The 2008 MVP is Kurt Warner.

maybe its because he would win me alot of money but I like this logic behind Warner.

personally i think its between Manning and Warner...

some things to consider - Warner leads Manning in most passing statistics this year. I know he throws to the best WR's in the game but Manning still has Wayne and Clark. Manning's teams has the better record in the harder division and conference. Warner has the story, winning the job in camp and leading the Cards to first division championship in 33 years.

it will probably end up being Peyton but i don't think Warner should be ruled out

No QB on an 8-8 team that gets to play the Broncos, Raiders, and Chiefs twice each deserves the MVP.

how bout the fact that they are 8-8 ONLY because of him

you mention Bronc, Raiders, Chefs

but how bout

vs Carolina 125 qbrating

vs tampa 136.7

vs NE 141.9

vs NYJ 130

vs Indy 126.8

and his best argument

Dec stats

4g 121att 80comp 66.1% 1,054yrds 8.7yrd/att 11TD 1INT 120.3 QB Rating

Brees and Rivers both had the same completion rate around 65.0

Brees attempted 635 passes for 5069 yards and 8.0 yrd/att

Rivers attempted 478 passes for 4009 yards and 8.4 yrd/att

Let Rivers throw that many times and you have 5338 yards, shattering Marino's no's

how bout the fact that they are 8-8 ONLY because of him

you mention Bronc, Raiders, Chefs

but how bout

vs Carolina 125 qbrating

vs tampa 136.7

vs NE 141.9

vs NYJ 130

vs Indy 126.8

and his best argument

Dec stats

4g 121att 80comp 66.1% 1,054yrds 8.7yrd/att 11TD 1INT 120.3 QB Rating

Brees and Rivers both had the same completion rate around 65.0

Brees attempted 635 passes for 5069 yards and 8.0 yrd/att

Rivers attempted 478 passes for 4009 yards and 8.4 yrd/att

Let Rivers throw that many times and you have 5338 yards, shattering Marino's no's

You're compaigning for a guy that played on a team that was average for the season? If it weren't for Matt Forte the Bears record would not have been as good. If it weren't for Andre Johnson the Texans wouldn't have been .500, etc. He might be MVP for his team, but I don't see how he would be for the league. And since you're cherry picking months, let's take a look at his games in November.

921 YDS, 4 TDs, 4Ints

Not too impressive. Point being you can't take a look at one month, you have to look at the big picture. For what it's worth, I don't think Brees deserves it either. Rivers is more deserving, but neither of them deserve it over Michael Turner, Manning, or Deangelo Williams. If you're going to go by that then why isn't Andre Johnson being discussed? Sorry, but I have a real hard time thinking the most valuable player in the league is one a team that barely made it to .500.

I understand the arguments of both sides, Johnson, Forte are both out cause their teams didnt make the playoffs. I only cherrypick DEC cause thats the most important month imo and how you play then really shows what you are made of.

I wont have a problem with Turner or Peyton for that matter getting it, I think this has been Peytons most MVP like season, he actually led the team, I didnt feel like he was just going for records ala the 49 td season. I also love the commercials.

Fair enough. And I really like Rivers and I think he's only going to get better. I think he's actually a better QB than Brees and makes better decisions. Maybe next year will be his year. Heck, they might get on a run this year and make it to the Super Bowl. One thing's for certain and that there's no clear cut team in either conference.

I'm gonna have to say Rivers or Turner.

Rivers pretty much carried this team on his shoulders due to Tomlinson not being 100% most of the year & the chargers D not playing up to their potential the majority of the year. Granted the Chargers only went 8-8 but without this guy they would have been lucky to win 4 games.

Without Turner in the backfield nobody would even be mentioning Matt Ryan's name. No doubt Matt Ryan was solid but I don't think 3,280 Pass Yards/15 TD's /9 INT are MVP numbers but I do think 1,491 Rush Yards & 16 TD's are MVP type numbers.

If you're seriously going to give Ryan MVP consideration then you might as well throw McNabb, E. Manning & Pennington in the mix because of similar or better stats in similar situations as Ryan & the only one I'd give an ounce of consideration for MVP out of that group is Pennington.

Players that don't get into the playoffs don't count. Unless they broke some sort of record, which no one really did.

If I had a top 5 this is is.

1. Manning

2. Peterson

3. Turner

4. Rivers

5. Polomala

Players that don't get into the playoffs don't count. Unless they broke some sort of record, which no one really did.

:thumbsdown: It's not all about the numbers.

BTW. Does anyone know when this is announced???