Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

South Carolina trying to pass law to outlaw profanity

Linky

"It looks like in an act that defies common sense, a bill has been introduced in the South Carolina State Senate that seeks to outlaw the use of profanity. According to the bill it would become a felony (punishable by a fine up to $5000 or up to 5 years in prison) to "publish orally or in writing, exhibit, or otherwise make available material containing words, language, or actions of a profane, vulgar, lewd, lascivious, or indecent nature". I'm not sure if "in writing" could be applied to the internet, but in any event this is scary stuff."

South Carolina General Assembly

118th Session, 2009-2010

A BILL

TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 16-15-370 SO AS TO MAKE IT UNLAWFUL TO COMMUNICATE PROFANITY IN A PUBLIC FORUM OR PLACE OF PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION; BY ADDING SECTION 16-15-430 SO AS TO CREATE THE OFFENSE OF DISSEMINATING PROFANITY TO A MINOR AND PROVIDE A PENALTY FOR THE OFFENSE; TO AMEND SECTION 16-15-305, RELATING TO DISSEMINATING OBSCENITY, SO AS TO SPECIFY BOTH ORAL AND WRITTEN PUBLICATIONS; AND TO AMEND SECTION 16-15-375, RELATING TO DEFINITIONS FOR PURPOSES OF MORALITY AND DECENCY OFFENSES AGAINST MINORS, SO AS TO INCLUDE THE OFFENSE OF DISSEMINATING PROFANITY TO A MINOR.

From the same MORONS that tried making "busting slack" a crime.

One of my memories from the 6 months I lived there was when the Governor jumped up and down on Dixie Chicks CDs after what they said about Bush in London. Think he used the word hell at the least. He was :overhead:

Id be shocked if the current governor, Mark Sanford, allows this bill through. Absolutely shocked. And disappointed in him.

In somewhat related news:

Columbia (Associated Press) - In an early morning press conference today, FBG moderator Joe has informed the media that they will be moving headquarter operations to South Carolina.

1pro·fane

Pronunciation: \prō-ˈfān, prə-\

Function: transitive verb

Inflected Form(s): pro·faned; pro·fan·ing

Etymology: Middle English prophanen, from Anglo-French prophaner, from Latin profanare, from profanus

Date: 14th century

1 : to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt : desecrate

2 : to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use

That cuts a pretty wide swath

You know, every once in a while I'm reminded that I don't really live in the South. "The South" is a whole 'nother animimal. Alabama, Louisiana, South Carolina, Mississippi, - Wow, they - there are stupid, bible thumping people everywhere, but when you sit back and ask yourself how the hell Benny Hinn and his ilk could POSSIBLY raise tens of millions of dollars and gather enormous crowds of bafoons to worship him and donate their welfare checks, you have to look no further than 'The South' to understand.

The place is about 60 years behind everywhere else, education & reading levels are far below the national norm, - And apparently they've never heard of the First Amendment.

You know, every once in a while I'm reminded that I don't really live in the South. "The South" is a whole 'nother animimal. Alabama, Louisiana, South Carolina, Mississippi, - Wow, they - there are stupid, bible thumping people everywhere, but when you sit back and ask yourself how the hell Benny Hinn and his ilk could POSSIBLY raise tens of millions of dollars and gather enormous crowds of bafoons to worship him and donate their welfare checks, you have to look no further than 'The South' to understand.

The place is about 60 years behind everywhere else, education & reading levels are far below the national norm, - And apparently they've never heard of the First Amendment.

Yeah, but they really do produce some fast and talented athletes, don't they?

“I personally believe, that U.S. Americans,

are unable to do so,

because uh,

some, people out there, in our nation don’t have maps.

and uh…

I believe that our education like such as in South Africa,

and the Iraq,

everywhere like such as…

and, I believe they should uh,

our education over here,

in the U.S. should help the U.S.

or should help South Africa,

and should help the Iraq and Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future,

for us.”

South Carolina is an embarassment even to the rest of the south. They are always up to something. Keep in mind they are the ones that started that whole civil war thing.

are unable to do so,

because uh,

and uh…

and the Iraq,

everywhere like such as…

our education over here,

and should help the Iraq and Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future,

for us.”

Good one. Never before has a beauty queen been more representative of their State. :thumbsup:

are unable to do so,

because uh,

and uh…

and the Iraq,

everywhere like such as…

our education over here,

for us.”

:thumbsup:

are unable to do so,

because uh,

and uh…

and the Iraq,

everywhere like such as…

our education over here,

for us.”

Moved to SC in July from NJ.

I thought people in NJ were idiots. Once again, proven wrong.

I went to college in South Carolina, different animal there.

Or imagine basic training at Fort Jackson.. Would that count if its federal property?