Sign in to follow this  
psunate77

Refs tried to give the Cards the game..

You should blame Tomlin for not challenging the Fitz TD then.

As for the safety, technically it was holding. I wouldn't have called it, but it was.

More questionable calls/non-calls went again the Cards IMO as someone who didn't care who won.

Still, the game's a route in favor of the Cards if Warner doesn't throw a pick 6. The Cards have no one to blame but themselves.

You could make the same argument about the Steelers. The roughing the passer call was bogus. They were calling the whole game tight, so with that in mind, the safety was legit. There were a lot of ticky-tack penalties in this game, both ways.

Safety was a horrible call and the first Fitz TD the ball clearly was on the ground when Larry came down with it.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Viuxap9dStA/SYaAMRJT...12/IMG_0225.JPG

I'm sorry, but there is no way you can say that the refs tried to give the game to a team that was flagged for 96 yards worth of penalties. The safety was legit because he pulled the guy down in the end zone, and Fitz had control of the ball when it touched the ground (the ball never moved), so it's still a catch. Say what you want, but the refs called the first 3 quarters clearly for the Steelers, and then gave some make up calls to the Cards.

I'm neutral, don't have a rooting interest and I thought the game was reffed fine. If anything, Pitt got more close calls their way.

Safety was a horrible call and the first Fitz TD the ball clearly was on the ground when Larry came down with it.

You may have had too much to drink. Fitz clearly had that ball all the way and the Cardinal defender was mugged and wrangled to the ground right in front of BR and the back judge. I'm surprised he wasn't arrested for assault he held him so badly.

The only thing I had a problem with was when they overturned Big Ben's TD in the first quarter. What the replay showed me was that his knee COULD OF hit the ground but there was no clear indication it did. It could have been that his knee was going towards the ground and when he twisted his body the knee came back up. I never saw an angle that clearly showed his knee being on the ground. Since they originally called it a touchdown, without conclusive evidence, it should have stayed a touchdown.

Did anyone else see it the way I did?

The only thing I had a problem with was when they overturned Big Ben's TD in the first quarter. What the replay showed me was that his knee COULD OF hit the ground but there was no clear indication it did. It could have been that his knee was going towards the ground and when he twisted his body the knee came back up. I never saw an angle that clearly showed his knee being on the ground. Since they originally called it a touchdown, without conclusive evidence, it should have stayed a touchdown.

Did anyone else see it the way I did?

Not me. It was obvious his knee clearly touched the ground. That was in the 1st quarter. You must have started drinking early. :music_guitarred:

I don't get the complaining about the Fitz TD or the holding in the endzone, unless they're fishing trips.

The non-review of the Warner fumble/incomplete was incomprehensible, though.

The non-review of the Warner fumble/incomplete, the harrison non-ejection for throwing a punch (2 actually)and the non-call for using the football as a prop was incomprehensible, though.

fixed

all 3 of those occurrences are sposed to be easy n automatic, no discretion necessary

A few things:

• Harrison will probably pull a fine from the league for that hit, and he deserves it, just as he deserved the penalty. Was a cheapshot.
  • Fitz TD was a TD, it doesn't matter part of the ball touches the ground if you had possession of it before you went to the ground and still have possession of it during that, it's simply not possible to shield the entire ball from touching the ground.
  • Ben's TD wasn't a TD. First off, it looked like his knee was down. Secondly, he was pulled across the line by his center, which probably would have drawn a penalty if it was caught. Bottom line is he didn't get in and it was an excellent challenge by Whiz.
  • The safety was a safety. Holding in the endzone results in that, and Hartwig dragged his man down. Actually, i thought maybe they should take a safety anyway. It took balls for the official to make that call and he made the right one. It hurt like hell to see that play get called back, but it was the right call. Most people think how penalty negates a big play like that, when in reality often the big play happens BECAUSE of the penalty.
  • The roughing the passer call on the Cards (Dansby I think) was a tough call to make as well. As I stated in another thread, it looked worse than it really was. I real time speed you see an LB hit a QB who has already release the ball in the back and the QB go down. In slow mo you see Dansby with his head down the pull up and get his hands up to try and slow himself down, but momentum carries him into Ben and Ben goes down but not hard, more of a shove if you ask me.
  • The running over the holder call had to be called, whether Wilson mean to do it or not. There's no grey area on that one, you simply cannot hit the defenseless guy down on his knee. IMO he didn't do on purpose or with any intent, and it's possible he may have been blocked into him, but it's still his responsibilty to miss the holder. As athletic as Wilson his, he could have just jumped over him.

Overall I thought the game was called pretty well, got a little ticky-tack in the 2nd half...but didn't seem biased toward any one team. I was happy that after a season of watching him get ignored by the officials, Harrison finally drew some well deserved holding calls.

really? are you starting this thread in response to most non-steeler fans who thought the steelers got most of the calls? you really think the Cards got the better end of the reffing stick? if you do, you are wrong.

Overall I thought the game was called pretty well, got a little ticky-tack in the 2nd half...but didn't seem biased toward any one team. I was happy that after a season of watching him get ignored by the officials, Harrison finally drew some well deserved holding calls.

The game was officiated horribly. When the penalties are 10-106 for one team and 2-15 for the other team, it's horrible. I refuse to believe one team does that many things worst than the other, especially in the Super Bowl. To boot, no flag on Holmes for using the ball as a prop after the last TD.:thumbsdown:

Alas, I don't give a chit. The Steelers won the game. If you take away all the crap calls against the Cards in the third qtr and take away the calls against the Steelers in the fourth, the bottom line is great teams find ways to win, which the Steelers did.

A few things:
  • Harrison will probably pull a fine from the league for that hit, and he deserves it, just as he deserved the penalty. Was a cheapshot.
  • Fitz TD was a TD, it doesn't matter part of the ball touches the ground if you had possession of it before you went to the ground and still have possession of it during that, it's simply not possible to shield the entire ball from touching the ground.
  • Ben's TD wasn't a TD. First off, it looked like his knee was down. Secondly, he was pulled across the line by his center, which probably would have drawn a penalty if it was caught. Bottom line is he didn't get in and it was an excellent challenge by Whiz.
  • The safety was a safety. Holding in the endzone results in that, and Hartwig dragged his man down. Actually, i thought maybe they should take a safety anyway. It took balls for the official to make that call and he made the right one. It hurt like hell to see that play get called back, but it was the right call. Most people think how penalty negates a big play like that, when in reality often the big play happens BECAUSE of the penalty.
  • The roughing the passer call on the Cards (Dansby I think) was a tough call to make as well. As I stated in another thread, it looked worse than it really was. I real time speed you see an LB hit a QB who has already release the ball in the back and the QB go down. In slow mo you see Dansby with his head down the pull up and get his hands up to try and slow himself down, but momentum carries him into Ben and Ben goes down but not hard, more of a shove if you ask me.
  • The running over the holder call had to be called, whether Wilson mean to do it or not. There's no grey area on that one, you simply cannot hit the defenseless guy down on his knee. IMO he didn't do on purpose or with any intent, and it's possible he may have been blocked into him, but it's still his responsibilty to miss the holder. As athletic as Wilson his, he could have just jumped over him.

:thumbsup:

Solid analysis. On balance a decently officiated game.

One unfortunate thing is the Harrison PF ended up being like a one foot penalty. There really should be something in the rules to address that. A guy a FBG suggested that rather than half the distance to the goal they should move the sticks fifteen yards.

:thumbsup:

Solid analysis. On balance a decently officiated game.

One unfortunate thing is the Harrison PF ended up being like a one foot penalty. There really should be something in the rules to address that. A guy a FBG suggested that rather than half the distance to the goal they should move the sticks fifteen yards.

I'm glad someone else noticed this as well. And I grinned a sh*t-eating one when Al Michaels alluded to the game getting a little "chippy" in the third quarter. Good, hard-nosed football though, with some blockhead plays thrown in.

Cardinal defense went out on its shield. Definitely. Hated to see them run out of gas at the end.

This thread reminds me of the time I nailed a 91 overall grade in a Level 400 Business Management class and went to the instructor demanding to know why I lost the nine points. Jesus man, move on.

The game was officiated horribly. When the penalties are 10-106 for one team and 2-15 for the other team, it's horrible. I refuse to believe one team does that many things worst than the other, especially in the Super Bowl. To boot, no flag on Holmes for using the ball as a prop after the last TD. :thumbsup:

Alas, I don't give a chit. The Steelers won the game. If you take away all the crap calls against the Cards in the third qtr and take away the calls against the Steelers in the fourth, the bottom line is great teams find ways to win, which the Steelers did.

I'm not sure where you got that, but box score says 7-56 against the Steelers. Part of the reason for the low yardage is one was enforced as a 1/2 the distance to the goal on the Steelers 2 (result 1 yrd). The other was the safety, which has no yardage assessed. there likely would have been an additional 25 yrds on that total, well, 24 to be exact, if it was at a normal position on the field. so figure it as 7 for 80 yrds, which would nearly in line with what Arizona did :lol:

A few things:

Can you give us an example of a poorly officiated game? Seriously. I mean you say this game was called fair and balanced, and you told me SB XL was fair and balanced. I'd like to know what you think is a poorly officiated game. Just for measurement purposes.

Can you give us an example of a poorly officiated game? Seriously. I mean you say this game was called fair and balanced, and you told me SB XL was fair and balanced. I'd like to know what you think is a poorly officiated game. Just for measurement purposes.

Other than the one personal foul for roughing the passer and the fact that there was no on the field review of the final turnover (which obviously has your Mike "I smell a Consipiracy Theory" Periera processor in overdrive) there was little that was questionable about this game. However, I grow weary of your incessant harping of officiating from 4 years go but will again say there a couple of calls that questionable in that game and ask you to (again) prove (without fabricating my statements as you did in another thread) where I've said that there wasn't any questionable calls there. Good gawd, you're like a hemmoroid.

Other than the one personal foul for roughing the passer and the fact that there was no on the field review of the final turnover (which obviously has your Mike "I smell a Consipiracy Theory" Periera processor in overdrive) there was little that was questionable about this game. However, I grow weary of your incessant harping of officiating from 4 years go but will again say there a couple of calls that questionable in that game and ask you to (again) prove (without fabricating my statements as you did in another thread) where I've said that there wasn't any questionable calls there. Good gawd, you're like a hemmoroid.

CUT!!!! Take 2!

Can you give me an example of a game that you feel was poorly officiated. I used this year's SB and SB XL as examples of games you are on record as saying were fair and balanced. I would like to know what, in your mind, consititutes a poorly officiated game for measurement purposes. Either you have a reading comprehension problem or you purposely evaded the original question. Try again.

CUT!!!! Take 2!

Can you give me an example of a game that you feel was poorly officiated. I used this year's SB and SB XL as examples of games you are on record as saying were fair and balanced. I would like to know what, in your mind, consititutes a poorly officiated game for measurement purposes. Either you have a reading comprehension problem or you purposely evaded the original question. Try again.

I can't think of one that stands out. I think every game is pretty fairly officiated...are there mistakes made? sure! I think it's humans trying to make the best decisions they can within the rules provided to them and trying to use their best judgment in a game that happens at a speed that few of us can even fathom. I think officials do a pretty darn good job of policing 22 bodies flying around at the same time. I would guess that if there were several blown calls in one game that would likely constitute a poorly officiated game. I would also assume that if all/the majority of those calls were to go against one team then one could possibly construe that "unfair", particularly if one was rooting for that team.

If I was pressed to come up with calls I that were incorrect that also might qualify (in my book) as unfair because they directly affected the outcome of a game, well, then two come to mind: First, the San Diego v Denver game this year where Cutler fumbled but it was ruled an incomplete pass and blown dead, then upheld on review that it was likely a fumble but since it had been blown dead it was a moot point. The other involved Jacksonville and Pittsburgh last year and I'll leave it at that.

I also believe that you shouldn't criticize the job a person does unless you have not only done it, but done it in the same circumstances as that person and done it better. I believe that nobody said life would be fair and that I'm fairly sure that extrapolates down to referees and what whiny ass fans think of their calls. I believe the same thing I teach to my sons, and the soccer and basketball teams I've coached, (and whatever future teams I may coach) in that you win some and you lose some and you don't make excuses for it. And I believe that some therapy for you is in order because your OCD isn't allowing you to let go of something that you're never going to change. For all your blowhard bellowing, preaching and moaning, it's still the best run, best officiated and best spectator/fan sport going and if you chose to take umbrage with maybe 5% of bad calls, and ignore the 95% of good ones...well then I guess being unhappy is your choice as well.

I can't think of one that stands out. I think every game is pretty fairly officiated...are there mistakes made? sure! I think it's humans trying to make the best decisions they can within the rules provided to them and trying to use their best judgment in a game that happens at a speed that few of us can even fathom. I think officials do a pretty darn good job of policing 22 bodies flying around at the same time. I would guess that if there were several blown calls in one game that would likely constitute a poorly officiated game. I would also assume that if all/the majority of those calls were to go against one team then one could possibly construe that "unfair", particularly if one was rooting for that team.

If I was pressed to come up with calls I that were incorrect that also might qualify (in my book) as unfair because they directly affected the outcome of a game, well, then two come to mind: First, the San Diego v Denver game this year where Cutler fumbled but it was ruled an incomplete pass and blown dead, then upheld on review that it was likely a fumble but since it had been blown dead it was a moot point. The other involved Jacksonville and Pittsburgh last year and I'll leave it at that.

I also believe that you shouldn't criticize the job a person does unless you have not only done it, but done it in the same circumstances as that person and done it better. I believe that nobody said life would be fair and that I'm fairly sure that extrapolates down to referees and what whiny ass fans think of their calls. I believe the same thing I teach to my sons, and the soccer and basketball teams I've coached, (and whatever future teams I may coach) in that you win some and you lose some and you don't make excuses for it. And I believe that some therapy for you is in order because your OCD isn't allowing you to let go of something that you're never going to change. For all your blowhard bellowing, preaching and moaning, it's still the best run, best officiated and best spectator/fan sport going and if you chose to take umbrage with maybe 5% of bad calls, and ignore the 95% of good ones...well then I guess being unhappy is your choice as well.

I can't think of one that stands out... I would also assume that if all/the majority of those calls were to go against one team then one could possibly construe that "unfair", particularly if one was rooting for that team.

Yet you can't think of one game? :rolleyes:

Only two come to mind? :rolleyes:

So NFL officiating is beyond reproach because none of us have ever Ref'd an NFL game? :wacko: Yea, that makes sense. I guess then that since none of us have ever been president, then we can't criticize a president's performance either? I have never been a cop so when a cop plugs an innocent person full of 41 shots, as a society only cops can criticize it? If you think this is the best officiated game, you are kidding yourself. The incomptence is gaining momentum but sheeple like you accept it. Congrats you've helped ruin America. :thumbsdown:

Yet you can't think of one game?

Only two come to mind?

So NFL officiating is beyond reproach because none of us have ever Ref'd an NFL game? Yea, that makes sense. I guess then that since none of us have ever been president, then we can't criticize a president's performance either? I have never been a cop so when a cop plugs an innocent person full of 41 shots, as a society only cops can criticize it? If you think this is the best officiated game, you are kidding yourself. The incomptence is gaining momentum but sheeple like you accept it. Congrats you've helped ruin America.

right, i'm the same sheep that you accused of bandwaggoning for the last 30+ yrs by rooting for a team from another state...walking against the flow of everyone...by gawd the very definition of "sheep". :rolleyes: I didn't say anything was beyond reproach. If something is done wrong, you have every right to voice your displeasure about it. However, your campaign of refereeing justice comes across as a bit self-serving when you really don't very often harp on any subject except the one that affected it you. Now, right here is the part where you'll point out that you have issues with the lack of consistency or lack of clear interpretation or whatever BS excuse you want come up with for why you're justified in BITCHING so much about a game that happened four years ago. I'll be critical over things that matter, you just keep carrying your Mike Periera protest sign and marching in your one man picket line...mmmk ??? :thumbsdown: