Sign in to follow this  
sos32

Kitna now a Cowboy

Traded

Jon Kitna-QB- Cowboys Feb. 28 - 3:09 pm et

Cowboys acquired QB Jon Kitna from the Lions in exchange for DB Anthony Henry.

The Lions did well to get Henry for a player they were set to release. The move also makes sense for Dallas because the system and terminology is similar to the one Mike Martz used, and he's better than the veteran backups on the open market. Kitna could put up solid numbers if he's forced to play.

Good move by Dallas, they cut Johnson and pick up a backup QB that can fill in if needed for Romo. I actually like this.

good for both detroit and dallas. kitna is still a competent qb in the right setup...but the lions need to clean house.

I'm sure Romo is happy to have a backup that has won as many playoff games as he has.

touchee.

I must admit that, as a CJ owner, I'm a little relieved. Flippin Kitna hung him out to dry with his errant passes.

Corner Anthony Henry was reported to be traded for Kitna.

Yup saw that too, just edited

This is ridiculous. Why Jerry would trade a decent cornerback for a aging backup QB that was going to be cut anyway is beyond me.

As a Cowboy fan, this irritates me to no end.

What about the Keith Brooking signing? He sucks now. Don't the Cowboys even watch tape of the players they aquire? :thumbsup: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

This is ridiculous. Why Jerry would trade a decent cornerback for a aging backup QB that was going to be cut anyway is beyond me.

Why on earth would Jones trade a starting corner (not exactly dealing from an area of strength, either) for a backup QB that actually turns the ball over more than Romo??? :thumbsup:

Why on earth would Jones trade a starting corner (not exactly dealing from an area of strength, either) for a backup QB that actually turns the ball over more than Romo??? :huh:

that's the second life-line jerry's thrown the lions in the past few months. maybe he just feels sorry for them.

Why on earth would Jones trade a starting corner (not exactly dealing from an area of strength, either) for a backup QB that actually turns the ball over more than Romo??? :dunno:

Perhaps he doesn't think Romo is the answer. :huh:

Perhaps he doesn't think Romo is the answer. :rolleyes:

Maybe so - but if he's gonna go the seasoned veteran route, he could have coaxed ex-Cowboy Gary Hogeboom out of retirement without having to give up a starting CB. :lol:

Maybe so - but if he's gonna go the seasoned veteran route, he could have coaxed ex-Cowboy Gary Hogeboom out of retirement without having to give up a starting CB. :thumbsup:

I was thinking Danny White myself.

The Lions got the better player, but the Cowboys needed a veteran to backup Romo. Good deal for both teams, but Detroit will get more use from Henry.

henry has played well for us, and i hate to see him go. a couple of things come to mind though...

1. CB is one of the positions that a 30+ guy can play well, provided that he keeps his quickness. this is not henry's strength, and one of the reasons that the team has been toying with moving him to FS for a couple of years. he had a nice bunch of picks last year, but they were due to positioning and smarts rather than pure cover ability. IMO, this is one of the toughest personnel mgmt decisions to make--athletic skills combined with inexperience or a good football mind combined with decaying physical performance.

2. the youngsters performed quite well last season--IIRC, there were only 3 games when both henry and newman started, and the kids did a damn good job.

3. money. don't know what kitna was making, but cutting TO and williams is accelerating a significant sum. there is a possibility that this trade was more about the contracts than the players.

as i said, i don't really care for this trade on the surface, but i'll reserve judgement until i see the moves that follow.

henry has played well for us, and i hate to see him go. a couple of things come to mind though...

1. CB is one of the positions that a 30+ guy can play well, provided that he keeps his quickness. this is not henry's strength, and one of the reasons that the team has been toying with moving him to FS for a couple of years. he had a nice bunch of picks last year, but they were due to positioning and smarts rather than pure cover ability. IMO, this is one of the toughest personnel mgmt decisions to make--athletic skills combined with inexperience or a good football mind combined with decaying physical performance.

2. the youngsters performed quite well last season--IIRC, there were only 3 games when both henry and newman started, and the kids did a damn good job.

3. money. don't know what kitna was making, but cutting TO and williams is accelerating a significant sum. there is a possibility that this trade was more about the contracts than the players.

as i said, i don't really care for this trade on the surface, but i'll reserve judgement until i see the moves that follow.

well said. scandrick in the 5th round was a steal and a half. usually that late in the draft you say: who? on that pick I was doin

a fist pump. I posted this from a blog last spring:

GettnHuge

post May 4 2008, 02:08 AM

dallas news blog

Three stars from rookie minicamp

Orlando Scandrick: The fifth-round cornerback from Boise State had a better minicamp than first-round pick He has 4.36 40 speed, but his ability to break on the ball is just as impressive. It's not hard to see why a lot of folks considered Scandrick the steal of the fifth round.

kitna is better than brad johnson who never should have been on the roster. for a backup qb he's nice to have.