Sign in to follow this  
yostevo

So the NFL may go to a 17-18 game schedule

My 12 team redraft league plays a 3 division/4 team per format. It has a 13 week regular season with a doubleheader in one of the weeks. This format allows you to play every team in the league once while playing each team in your division twice. Our playoffs start in week 14 and end in a week 16 superbowl. All of this goes right out the window with a new NFL schedule.

We can obviously add more games to the schedule and possible cut out the doubleheader but I'm not sure about the format at this point.

How will your league adjust?

My 12 team redraft league plays a 3 division/4 team per format. It has a 13 week regular season with a doubleheader in one of the weeks. This format allows you to play every team in the league once while playing each team in your division twice. Our playoffs start in week 14 and end in a week 16 superbowl. All of this goes right out the window with a new NFL schedule.

We can obviously add more games to the schedule and possible cut out the doubleheader but I'm not sure about the format at this point.

How will your league adjust?

First of all, I think the players would be stupid to allow this to happen. There are enough injuries as it is. Note to Goodell: LEAVE IT ALONE.

I don't mind it too much from a fantasy perspective. As long as they don't continue to start halfway through September and then the fantasy season lasts until mid-January. They should get started on Labor Day weekend like they used to.

First of all, I think the players would be stupid to allow this to happen. There are enough injuries as it is. Note to Goodell: LEAVE IT ALONE.

I don't mind it too much from a fantasy perspective. As long as they don't continue to start halfway through September and then the fantasy season lasts until mid-January. They should get started on Labor Day weekend like they used to.

That's unlikely to happen. Too much money to be had and they have been adding games periodically every 15 years successfully

I would be all about cutting preseason games down to say 2-3 which would improve the quality of these games and lesson the potential for injuries.

That's unlikely to happen. Too much money to be had and they have been adding games periodically every 15 years successfully

I would be all about cutting preseason games down to say 2-3 which would improve the quality of these games and lesson the potential for injuries.

I had assumed this would be the plan as well (directly replacing the last 2 preseason games with 2 regular season games in late August), but they speculated on Pardon The Interruption 2 days ago that the league would cut the preseason down to 2 games, and tack the extra 2 regular season games onto the end of the current NFL schedule, thus bumping the playoffs and SuperBowl back by 2 weeks as well.

Wilbon and Kornheiser said it has to do with TV ratings, as viewership is lower in the summer months than winter months.

If this is the way it ends up going down, it looks like the Fantasy season will extended into January now, if you expand your current 13 week regular season + 3 week playoff into a 15+3 season.

My concern from both an NFL fan and Fantasy Football perspective is that there are going to be a LOT more meaningless games with an 18 game slate. Think back to week 17 last year - there were a lot of games that had little relevance. If the playoff format stays the same, with 6 teams/conference getting in, there are going to be a lot of garbage games both on TV and deciding FF championships.

I believe that palyers get payed based on a 20 game season, meaning that they get payed jsut as much to take three snaps in week four of the preseason as they do in week 1 of the regular season. The NFL charges the same amount per ticket whether you are going to a preseason game or regular season game.

Everyone knows that the preseason games are a mockery. They help teams understand who they should keep as backups but that can be handled on the practice field or in two games.

The games are virtually meaningless to fans, players and the owners. Remember that the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason and then 0-16 in the regular season.

if they go to 18, will they have 2 byes?

You don't make money with byes so probably not but it's a fair question.

Maybe. That would give the NFL an entire extra week of television profits, in addition to the 2 extra games so that's three extra weeks of television profits.

1 + 2 = 3 :thumbsup:

Well, our 12 team league goes to week 13 for our regular season. We have 4 divisions so you play your divisional opponents twice and every other team once. Works out perfectly from a scheduling standpoint so extra games doesnt do much for us. Our playoffs will still start week #14 and our SB will still be week #16 no matter what. I dont wanna mess up our neat schedule!

The sucky part is that if they go to 18 games then we'll have a longer wait until the NFL playoffs start since were done week #16. Meh. :thumbsup:

I say stay with it as it is!

Well, our 12 team league goes to week 13 for our regular season. We have 4 divisions so you play your divisional opponents twice and every other team once. Works out perfectly from a scheduling standpoint so extra games doesnt do much for us. Our playoffs will still start week #14 and our SB will still be week #16 no matter what. I dont wanna mess up our neat schedule!

The sucky part is that if they go to 18 games then we'll have a longer wait until the NFL playoffs start since were done week #16. Meh. :doublethumbsup:

I say stay with it as it is!

That's good point. I mean, you don't really have to change it if you don't want to. Believe it or not, I do start to get burnt out towards the end of the current set up and adding to it might just be too much.

I can't believe the ###### in this thread!

We are talking MORE FOOTBALL! That is a GOOD thing. Pull out your tampons, and while you're at it fix me a god damn sandwich!

it really doesn't change your fantasy season at all except to lengthen it. 2 more games = 2 more regular season games before you would normally do the playoffs. If you had double headers, you still have double headers. If your setup now allows for every team to play every other team twice, then im sure there is a way to even it out somehow.

Hell, might even be a good thing for leagues that are forced to use week 17 as a championship.. Now you can use week 18 for that game and avoid the players sitting or not trying.

As for the idea itself... :wub:

Idk why but i would rather leave things as is. Sure the NFL has had success adding 2 games here and there but there comes a time when you reach a limit. You can't add 2 games every 15 years for the rest of time. 5 months of football for the year is pretty good.

Only way i reall would agree is if you cut 2 preseason games and start the regular season in mid august. I think the SB is good where it is right now, I wouldn't want it to be later.

As a fan, I'd love to see more football during the year, but only if they cut down the preseason (which is way too long).

Fantasy-wise, I go with redraft leagues exclusively so whatever changes come along rules will be adjusted accordingly.