Sign in to follow this  
Lionsjunkie

2009 DETROIT TIGERS

Jesus christ, Leyland, how damn dense are you? Stop bringing Rodney in non-save situations you focking senile coot.

Ugh...stop me if you've heard this one before: bases loaded, one out...no runs. :cheers:

Perhaps as important as the fact they failed, again, is how they failed...again. Everett chases two pitches he had no business swinging at for a strikeout, Curtis check-swings the first pitch back to the mound. More wasted at-bats.

First and third, one out...yeah...does Jim have cancer yet?

Ok, gotta hand it to the Tigers...when they quit on a game, they don't do it half-assed.

For once, someone else did the number crunching for me. Since the all-star break:

Everett

.156 AVG

.167 OBP

5 RBI

.178 SLG

Laird

.170 AVG

.228 OBP

1 RBI

.226 SLG

One more amusing split:

Pavano vs Det in 2009: 4-0, 1.48 ERA

Pavano vs rest of baseball: 6-8, 6.15 ERA

5-2 homestand, somehow. At least they didn't quit on the game like they did last night, despite the early offensive failure (leadoff man on 2nd to start game, can't plate him) and Washburn throwing another bad game. The 8th inning is what we need to see the offense do far more often; runner in scoring position to start the inning, sacrifice the runner over, get someone to drive the run in. Now comes a real test....a road series against a reeling Red Sox team that enters tonight's series finale with New York on a 5 game losing streak. The offense must show that they can perform with some consistency on the road.

The magic # stands at 49. <_< :ninja:

Come on man...I know you are used to scrounging for bright spots, what with a name like Lionsjunkie, but really? He is .230 on the year, entering tonights game he is batting .205 over the past 7 days with 1 extra base hit in his last 10 games..and that is 'coming on'?

Now if you had waited until TONIGHT to make the comment, lol. First double since April 29, first triple this season.

Well, I listed a reply to a bunch overpaid underachievers and this is all you got....christ, the guy missed 3/4 of the season and at least plays with some heart. Also pointed out that we need him to do something over the last few months...

Well, I listed a reply to a bunch overpaid underachievers and this is all you got....christ, the guy missed 3/4 of the season and at least plays with some heart. Also pointed out that we need him to do something over the last few months...

All I had? Sorry that I didn't repeat the cases you made for me already, but if you want me to rehash all of them...

Laird ~ been solid defensively and love the way he runs teh bases and plays small ball...comes cheap I believe

- 2.8 mil for a .232 BA and 2 RBIs since the break...for money comparison with other catchers: Kurt Suzuki (.280, 50 RBI on a terrible A's team) makes $410k, Yadier Molina (.285, 37 RBI) makes $3.3 mil, Russell Martin (.271, 33 RBI) makes $3.9 mil, Mike Napoli (.290, 43 RBI) makes $2 mil, Miguel Montero (.283, 35 RBI) makes $425k, etc, etc. Laird is in the upper-half of catcher salaries, so that argument is pointless. You are trading a few less stolen bases against your defense for the equivalent of a pitcher's spot in your lineup.

Cabrera ~ makes a boatload of money but wouldn't see he is underachieving...he damn well could be alot better though

- ok, you are trying to make the point for me here...sorry I didn't copy paste this one for you (and Cabrera isn't even one of the guys I have complained about)

Polly ~ starting to come around at the plate and solid defensively...

- no argument on this one

Everett/Santiago ~ this platton has been solid enough, outside of Hanley, JRoll & Reyes most teams are happy with what we have

- only make $2 mil between them so not 'overpaid', but Santiago (.197 since June 1), and Everett (.209 since June, worse since July) are definitely not a combo any other team would hope for. They each had one nice month, and have been a complete abyss in the lineup since. Everett has also committed 12 errors so far despite playing in a platoon (which makes his errors per game ratio worse than any other SS in baseball who has played as many games as him - 79).

Inge ~ has had a great year

- killed the ball in April and June, has struggled badly since July 1 (.200 BA, 9 RBI), somewhat due to injury. Most glaring problem, like with most of the team, are his strikeouts: 32 of 77 ABs in July were K's. At $6.3 mil he isn't cheap, but for the season on the whole so far he has earned his keep. Question is, will he continue to slide the rest of the way?

Raburn/Thames ~ most unproductive position on the team

- ok, another one that you conceded, though Thames at $2.3 mil is only marginally overpaid (.170 with runners in scoring position) and Raburn is a non-factor on the issue

Grandy ~ solid all around yr...strikes out far too much and should not lead off but he doesn't set the lineup

- still comes cheap at $3 mil so not overpaid, but .224 with runners in scoring position is a killer

Mags ~ without a doubt...hopefully as his AB count increases his playing time will decrease

- you made the point for me, no need for me to paste it in the previous post

Guillen ~ overpaid but is coming on...we need him to have a good final few months

- you made the point for me, I just cleaned up the 'coming on' statement

Gawd I hate ol smoke chops....tell me why you don't PH Santiago (a lefty) vs a RH pitcher...I have no doubt Santiago does enough to get Clete in from 3rd with the tying run....fuckchops Everett whom I'm hating more and more each day swings at 3 balls....all in the dirt and not one close to being a strike.

Then Mr Un-Clutch himself Grandy comes up and pops out to the C....gawd does he have some horrible ABs

We don't deserve to win this game but we had the Sox on the ropes late with a clutch base hit or two... :thumbsdown: :banana:

Caught a break..Carlos tried to choke away a bases loaded one out situation to start the game, but Boston blew the turn on a simple double play.

Then Magglio does the SAME THING and Boston blows the double play AGAIN! The Tigers are begging Boston to end their rally and Boston's SS just refuses to throw the ball to second correctly.

Hate to leave the bases loaded, but considering we hit into two inning-ending double plays and got away with both, 3-0 is just fine to start. Now we need Rick to stop this bad run our starters are on.

About damn time someone protected their star. Miguel out after being hit (again) on the hand, Porcello decided to stand up for him. Then Youkilis threw his helmet like a ######, tried to tackle Porcello, and got THROWN DOWN. :lol:

Knew that was coming. Porcello out, Lambert in, single home run, tie game. As much as we needed someone on the team to show some backbone, this is probably going to turn into a four game sweep.

And we continue to blow scoring opportunities. Runner on third, one out, can't even manage a sacrifice (again). Strike out, strike out, both looking. Sad.

Bad offense and a tired bullpen gets nullified when V is pitching like a G nigggggggaaa :wacko: That mother focker's last 4 pitches, which were his 120, 121,122, and 123rd pitch, were 99, 99, 100 and 100 :D When the guy is on, no one can touch him.

Since the all-star break:

Laird - 21 G, .191, 2 RBI

Everett - 20 G, .155, 5 RBI

Inge - 27 G, .188, 6 RBI

Santiago - 16 G, .158, 4 RBI

If you could replace 3 spots in your batting order with pitchers and not notice, then you might need a new hitting coach.

Either that, or its time for a new promotion: first 3 fans into the stadium get to hit!

New Tigers' lineup card:

1. Granderson

2. Polanco

3. random select

4. Cabrera

5. Guillen

6. home run roulette

7. designated out #1

8. designated out #2

9. designated out #3

INGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dunno:

Also, welcome to the Tigers Washburn :thumbsup:

Washburn was 8-6 with a 2.64 ERA in Seattle...in other words, this is pretty much the same old same old for him.

Washburn was 8-6 with a 2.64 ERA in Seattle...in other words, this is pretty much the same old same old for him.

Which is why i said WELCOME to the Tigers :pointstosky: His first 2 starts as a Tiger were pretty bad.

Interesting stuff here on the pitching prospects we've dealt. I'm only bitter about the Jair Jurgens deal. He'd be a fine #3 or #4 right now and he's only 23 still. Amazing amount of injuries from these guys.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090815/SP...-departed-dozen

Some interesting stats at the bottom as well.

Few regrets on Tigers' departed dozen

Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

One transaction at a time, one bundle of flesh offered in exchange for another, Gary Sheffield, Miguel Cabrera, Edgar Renteria, Gerald Laird and Jarrod Washburn joined the Tigers during the past four years.

And all were purchased primarily because Detroit has been so resolute about drafting and developing young pitchers.

The thinking is that young pitching serves two purposes: It supplies the parent team with choice arms for its starting rotation and bullpen; and it is lovely lucre for trades.

Advertisement

Twelve young pitchers have departed the organization since 2006 because of deals that brought in key players. Most of the pitchers remain prospects, or even projects, for their new teams: Burke Badenhop, Anthony Claggett, Eulogio De La Cruz, Luke French, Jair Jurrjens, Carlos Melo, Andrew Miller, Guillermo Moscoso, Mauricio Robles, Humberto Sanchez, Dallas Trahern and Kevin Whelan.

So, how've they done?

A look at their situations in 2009 reveals who has a future in the big leagues:

• Badenhop, 26, right-hander, Marlins: He is on the disabled list with a neck problem and has pitched in 26 games with a 5-4 record and 4.19 ERA.

• Claggett, 25, right-hander, Yankees: He pitched in two games -- one in April, one in August -- and allowed 11 hits and 10 runs in 2 2/3 innings. Things have gone better at Triple A -- 5-6 record with a 2.92 ERA.

• De La Cruz, 25, right-hander, Padres: Pitching at Triple-A Portland, De La Cruz is 1-4 with a 3.25 ERA in 38 games.

• French, 23, right-hander, Mariners: There have been no surprises since French joined the Mariners. He is a back-of-the-rotation pitcher who can finesse-pitch fairly effectively. In two starts, he is 1-0 with a 6.97 ERA. In 10 1/3 innings, French has allowed 12 hits and seven walks.

• Jurrjens, 23, right-hander, Braves: The Tigers thought Jurrjens was small by their standards and didn't trust his health would hold up. Jurrjens is 9-8 and has had a sub-.3.00 ERA for most of the season. It's now 3.01.

• Melo, 18, right-hander, Rangers: He was a blue-ribbon teenage prospect when the Tigers signed him. Now he's a potential prize-winner for the Rangers. For the rookie-league AZL Rangers, Melo is 0-4 with a 7.96 ERA in 10 starts.

• Miller, 24, left-hander, Marlins: He is fighting an ankle injury as he pitches at Triple-A New Orleans. Miller has been up and down most of the past two seasons. His 2009 numbers -- 3-5, 4.81 ERA.

• Moscoso, 25, right-hander, Rangers: He was recalled last month and is 0-0 with a 4.32 ERA in five games. His 2009 combined stats at Triple A and Double A -- 7-4, 3.04 ERA.

• Robles, 20, left-hander, Mariners: Robles has had a rough go at the high Class A stop (8.53 ERA in three games). He should be a blue-chipper.

• Sanchez, 26, right-hander, Yankees: He had arm problems galore and was released in April before being re-signed. He is trying to fight his way back at Double-A Trenton where he is 0-0 with a 6.52 ERA in six games.

• Trahern, 23, right-hander, Marlins: Has had elbow problems and has not appeared in a game since May. At Triple-A New Orleans before being injured, he was 1-3, 6.28 ERA.

• Whelan, 25, right-hander, Yankees: He was injured most of 2008 but has come back nicely, moving from Double A (4-0, 2.63 ERA, 63 strikeouts in 54 2/3 innings) to Triple A (0-0, 3.00 in six innings). Walks are a problem.

How the Tigers are stacking up

Major League Baseball statistical standings:

Hitting: .258 -- 21st in MLB, 11th in American League

Pitching: 4.22 ERA -- 12th in MLB, sixth in American League

Fielding: .983 -- 20th in MLB, 10th in American League

Average attendance: 31,584 -- 12th in MLB, fourth in American League

Not including Friday's game

By the numbers

.383 Magglio Ordonez's slugging percentage in 2009 (compared to .494 last season and .595 in 2007)

1.37 Brandon Lyon's ERA spanning his last 31 outings

2.88 Fernando Rodney's ERA during his last 23 appearances

.406 Placido Polanco's batting average with runners in scoring position since June 26

8-17 Tigers' record against American League East teams

17-10 Tigers' record against American League West teams

Bases loaded, one out...Polanco lines out to right, oh well it happens, he hit it hard. Thomas comes up..and watches strike three, AGAIN. How many times this season have the Tigers sat with the bat on their shoulder in these situations? I think it is time for someone to start a new FireLloyd.com (McClendon has to go).

I guess I missed that one in the 2nd half stats I posted last night:

Thomas - .208, 10 RBI

The Tigers are in first focking place.....and have been since May.

Relax! And maybe enjoy the fact that your team is playing in meaningful ballgames in September.

The Tigers are in first focking place.....and have been since May.

Relax! And maybe enjoy the fact that your team is playing in meaningful ballgames in September.

Yeah the Twins sure are slipping away, I thought they would be in it until the end.

Yeah the Twins sure are slipping away, I thought they would be in it until the end.

the baseball gods have given decreed the tigers should visit the hell-hole metrodome one more time--the LAST WEEK OF THE SEASON.

i don't count out those ffocking twins until it's over. goddam armor-plated c0ckroaches.

the baseball gods have given decreed the tigers should visit the hell-hole metrodome one more time--the LAST WEEK OF THE SEASON.

i don't count out those ffocking twins until it's over. goddam armor-plated c0ckroaches.

That's just your paranoia speaking. The Twins are bottom feeders with no heart or passion. They'll lay down for Tigers that last week. They've won 2 series since the All-Star break....Texas & CWS. They've lost series to OAK, CLE, KC (KC first series win since focking mid June) and now they're in danger of dropping yet another series against CLE.

The Twins are a joke....and the Tigers have the pitching to contend down the stretch.

Should be a good two team race for the AL Central.

:doublethumbsup:

Tigs just have no idea how to manufacture runs nor can they get a clutch hit. They are 0-15 with RISP today and have had the leadoff man on in every inning but the 2nd and scored only once.

Mags just takes a called 3rd strike with Cabrera at 3rd and 1 out :doublethumbsup: and then Raburn flies out to end the inning...looking for a way to lose today :mad:

Tigs just have no idea how to manufacture runs nor can they get a clutch hit. They are 0-15 with RISP today and have had the leadoff man on in every inning but the 2nd and scored only once.

Mags just takes a called 3rd strike with Cabrera at 3rd and 1 out :doublethumbsup: and then Raburn flies out to end the inning...looking for a way to lose today :mad:

Leyland refuses o play smallball of any kind. He always waits for the big hit when we should be putting pressure on the other team. Granderson has speed but never steals. He should have 40 steals by now. Instead he is tied with Jeter.

3rd ERROR by Raburn this game and second in the 10th...should've been outta this inning twice now. :doublethumbsup: Way to leave Inge on the bench ol smokechops...Sure he may need a rest but he should've been in during the late innings for defensive purposes.

That's OK....Tigs had no business winning this game. Grandy is a horrible situational batter, Mags & Thames are about as useless as they come when you need a runner moved over or IN....what a focken joke this agme has been. What a fucken disgrace of a game :mad:

Tigers acquire Aubrey Huff from Baltimore

At first glance, his .253 BA definitely fits in well with our lineup, but 72 RBIs...Lloyd will have to work with him on lowering that. Kind of an odd trade to make...

Since all-star break:

27 games, .239 BA, 2 HR, 16 RBI

26 hits, 26 Ks

The one thing he does potentially bring is a clutch bat (which we need desperately):

RISP: .324, 3 HR, 53 RBI

At first glance, his .253 BA definitely fits in well with our lineup, but 72 RBIs...Lloyd will have to work with him on lowering that. Kind of an odd trade to make...

Since all-star break:

26 hits, 26 Ks

The one thing he does potentially bring is a clutch bat (which we need desperately):

Perhaps his lagging average had to do with his failing team around him. Maybe a pennant chase will get him a little more focused. At least they did something. If they could just string a a couple weeks together with some .600 baseball, they'd walk away with this divison.

Everett with a rare RBI (a rare hit, period), but give the assist to the jackass fan who reached a few feet onto the field in foul territory to block a foul pop-up from Thomas (Clete would wind up walking, scoring the run).

Granderson still a ###### as he watches Felix strike him out again.

Damnit. Porcello absolutely dominating the Mariners, then inexplicably throws an 0-2 change-up to the #9 hitter who connects for his 4th CAREER home run. He then melts down and gives up a pair of singles and a walk before getting pulled. Looking like another 2-1/3-1 loss at this rate.

Granderson with his 3rd straight strike out today, 4th straight overall.

Huff fitting in nicely. Both ABs with a man on and 0-2. Naturally, he strokes a single with no one on in his third AB.

ETA: Make that 0-3 with risp and 5 LOB.

Vintage Tigers. Lloyd McClendon needs to be hung from the flagpole, Granderson needs to be taught how the f*ck to hit, Inge needs a week off if not a trip to the DL...that would make for a start.

Wow if we showed the patience in hitting that we just did in that 4 run 8th a little more often, we'd win a helluva lot more games.

Rodney doing his thing. 2 men on and the game in the balance.

Nice comeback. Very good win against a real tough starting pitcher.

I turned it off in frustration after the Griffey sac fly, then Comcast crapped on me so I didn't have internet during the bottom of the inning. Stunned they showed some heart, though the new kid had to start it for them.

I turned it off in frustration after the Griffey sac fly, then Comcast crapped on me so I didn't have internet during the bottom of the inning. Stunned they showed some heart, though the new kid had to start it for them.

the mariners did their part to gift-wrap that (a key error in that inning and botched run-down of cabrera that allowed another run to score). but, yeah, there was some nice hitting that inning as well. most notably avila and cabrera.

Ian Snell has pitched two great games all season...his 17 K performance against the Mud Hens (with thirteen straight strike-outs) and now tonight. Further proof the entire Tigers organization can and will make anyone look like a stud.

Inge needs to be rested...he is in terrible shape right now, and he won't be getting any better playing like this every day. Sad thing is, apparently our farm system is so terrible that we can't even find a guy to call up that can manage to hit better than the sub-.200 numbers 4 of our regulars are posting in the second half.

Mariners put up 3 two-out runs, effectively ending the game as the Tigers are incapable of surpassing that number (even against a glorified AAA pitcher like Snell).

Inge kills yet another rally. He can't hit (below .175 with 7 RBI since the break), his fielding is declining, and yet Leyland's senile ass can't seem to figure it out. You have Huff, you have Cabrera, you have Guillen. Certainly you can manage with one of them at third base while Inge rests on the DL, because this sure as hell isn't working.

Meanwhile, Laird is in no way worth even playing. You are basically trading an extra base runner thrown out every 20 days (at most) for an automatic out every time through the lineup. He probably isn't suitable for a backup at the major league level. Embarrassing.

Granderson watch: 0 for last 13 with 8 Ks

Since all-star break:

26 hits, 26 Ks

Not so much so far :shocking:

This is well beyond the point of disgusting. I can see why FeelingMN is frustrated with our complaints, as it has to suck something awful to see how miserable the Tigers are and yet his team can't overtake them. The AL Central is about as pathetic as a division can possibly be, when the first place team literally fields 3 automatic outs at the bottom of its lineup and starts 4 players with sub-.200 BAs in the second half every night.

It is a good thing I'm not at the game tonight, because I swear to god that I would have found the nearest piece of white fabric when Inge/Laird/Santiago came up in the 9th and waved it over my head for everyone to see.

"Laird may be the better defensive catcher, but with the way Avila is playing how long can you keep him out of the lineup?"

Rod: "Well, the Tigers have been in first since May so I don't think Leyland wants to upset the chemistry like that."

Because the chemistry of an offense that bats around .240 is such a valuable thing. :rolleyes:

"Laird may be the better defensive catcher, but with the way Avila is playing how long can you keep him out of the lineup?"

Rod: "Well, the Tigers have been in first since May so I don't think Leyland wants to upset the chemistry like that."

Because the chemistry of an offense that bats around .240 is such a valuable thing. :rolleyes:

I just heard that too what a focking idiot