Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

Tony Romo

Tony Romo misses qualifying

Tony Romo's attempt to qualify for the U.S. Open ended Monday when he failed to advance beyond the local qualifying round.

Solid early in his round, Romo faded down the stretch and finished with an 80. While it was a long shot in the first place, Romo could have faced a potential conflict as the first round of the Open falls on the last day of the Cowboys June minicamp. The QB will attempt to qualify for the HP Byron Nelson Championship on Tuesday.

typical Romo..in like a lion, out like a lamb. :wave:

shouldnt he be concentrating on football?

shouldnt he be concentrating on football?

practicing his golf swing it much more important at this stage. This team is so stacked it's an automatic playoff contender. Romo to Williams is like Young to Rice, and Manning to Harrison. Just a given they'll be in sinc :wave:

Tom Brady got married earlier this year. Shouldnt he be concentrating on football?

Tom Brady got married earlier this year. Shouldnt he be concentrating on football?

oh come on now. thats something totally different.

why is an NFL QB (especially one under such scrutiny to get his team over the hump) trying to qualify for the US Open? You know what? I'll maybe give him a pass there because its the US Open

what i found even more weird is that he is also trying to qualify for an upcoming PGA event??

i know he is a good golfer but c'mon.

oh come on now. thats something totally different.

why is an NFL QB (especially one under such scrutiny to get his team over the hump) trying to qualify for the US Open? Actually what i found even more weird is that he is also trying to qualify for an upcoming PGA event??

i know he is a good golfer but c'mon.

I dunno, I try not to question what athletes do in their spare time away from the game (unless it is illegal or a threat to their health). Maybe he likes golf, is pretty good at it, and has the opportunity? Call me crazy. :cheers:

Wake me up when he misses a mandatory camp or practice or game. :music_guitarred:

Otherwise I see it as no different than any other athlete doing something else in their spare time.

ETA: Just to add, I think it is crazy that fans think pro athletes should focus on their sport 24/7. Do you know why companies give out vacation time? Because it makes for a more productive employee. A work/life balance is a must, otherwise 'burn-out' will ensue.

I dunno, I try not to question what athletes do in their spare time away from the game (unless it is illegal or a threat to their health). Maybe he likes golf, is pretty good at it, and has the opportunity? Call me crazy. :lol:

Wake me up when he misses a mandatory camp or practice or game. :cry:

Otherwise I see it as no different than any other athlete doing something else in their spare time.

ETA: Just to add, I think it is crazy that fans think pro athletes should focus on their sport 24/7. Do you know why companies give out vacation time? Because it makes for a more productive employee. A work/life balance is a must, otherwise 'burn-out' will ensue.

alright alright, maybe im being too hard on him. but companies give out weeks of vacay time... longer you work more you get usually.

athletes have multiple months off (granted their bodies need it)

and he isnt doing anything illegal and won't miss any camp time (tho he would have if he continued on the path for US Open qualifying).

idk. I dont think athletes should prepare all the time but trying to qualify for pro golf events takes preparation itself. Its not a vacation to the bahamas. Unless he is half assing it, which then i would ask why bother? go play catch with roy williams :banana:

alright alright, maybe im being too hard on him. but companies give out weeks of vacay time... longer you work more you get usually.

athletes have multiple months off (granted their bodies need it)

and he isnt doing anything illegal and won't miss any camp time (tho he would have if he continued on the path for US Open qualifying).

idk. I dont think athletes should prepare all the time but trying to qualify for pro golf events takes preparation itself. Its not a vacation to the bahamas. Unless he is half assing it, which then i would ask why bother? go play catch with roy williams :banana:

Agreed. Besides now that Jessica Simpson is fat he's probably just out there so he can try out the golf groupies. I mean look at the ladies Phil and Tiger have.

why is an NFL QB (especially one under such scrutiny to get his team over the hump) trying to qualify for the US Open?

Because you can't fumble away a golf match? :cheers:

I hate these kinds of threads. Hey, how is it living in the heart of Texas as a Steelers fan...:doublethumbsup:. I know, I know, Super Bowl champs. Whatever. You're pathetic.

Also, Jessica Simpson is thin again.

I hate these kinds of threads. Hey, how is it living in the heart of Texas as a Steelers fan...:(. I know, I know, Super Bowl champs. Whatever. You're pathetic.

:shocking: :doublethumbsup: Gepetto just won this thread. Well-done! Thread ovah!

I hate these kinds of threads. Hey, how is it living in the heart of Texas as a Steelers fan... :D . I know, I know, Super Bowl champs. Whatever. You're pathetic.

Gepetto, it's a lot of fun being a Steelers fan in Texas. Variety is the spice of life. I didn't write the article or word it that way, you can thank rotoworld for that. My only "personal" comment in the entire thread was this:

typical Romo..in like a lion, out like a lamb. :lol:

I stayed out of the whole debate on whether he should or should be trying to make it as a pro golfer, whether he should or shouldn't be dating Jessica and all the other periphery of comments that have gone on. However, I was under the impression that this was/is a site dedicated to football, and it was indeed a football related posting. Hell, I didn't even take FlaHawkers bait.

I don't know much about you and haven't seen you around as much in the last few months. However, my "From:" has said the same thing since 12/17/04 when I joined this bored. FlaHawker has gone above and beyond in proving his dooschiness, let's see if you follow suit.

:lol: :pointstosky: Gepetto just won this thread. Well-done! Thread ovah!

;)

Gepetto, it's a lot of fun being a Steelers fan in Texas. Variety is the spice of life. I didn't write the article or word it that way, you can thank rotoworld for that. My only "personal" comment in the entire thread was this:

I stayed out of the whole debate on whether he should or should be trying to make it as a pro golfer, whether he should or shouldn't be dating Jessica and all the other periphery of comments that have gone on. However, I was under the impression that this was/is a site dedicated to football, and it was indeed a football related posting. Hell, I didn't even take FlaHawkers bait.

I don't know much about you and haven't seen you around as much in the last few months. However, my "From:" has said the same thing since 12/17/04 when I joined this bored. FlaHawker has gone above and beyond in proving his dooschiness, let's see if you follow suit.

:unsure:

:nono:

:unsure:

I didn't mean for you to take it like that. Just having fun with it. I have no problem with you or the post. I thought it was kind of funny actually. :nono:

:nono:

Wow! Two posts in the same thread with the same emoticon instead of actually attempting to mount a defense, congrats!

:sleep:

:wave:

I didn't mean for you to take it like that. Just having fun with it. I have no problem with you or the post. I thought it was kind of funny actually. :lol:

No worries Gepetto! :nono:

We went through this last year with the same arguements.

I know, I won that thread last year. You would think people would stop bringing it up as an issue. :lol:

Wow! Two posts in the same thread with the same emoticon instead of actually attempting to mount a defense, congrats!

A defense of what? Romo? I could care less about Romo. The :nono: was for JG and his obsession/hatred of anything Cowboys/Romo. Thanks for playing though penis189 :lol:

A defense of what? Romo? I could care less about Romo. The :mad: was for JG and his obsession/hatred of anything Cowboys/Romo. Thanks for playing though penis189 :dunno:

what? i don't have an obsession/hatred of Cowboys/Romo. I'm not going all Ray "Laces Out Dan!" Finkle on the team or their QB. Now, admittedly I'm not above needling their fans a bit, but hey, that's the nature of being a fan. :dunno:

:wave:

what? i don't have an obsession/hatred of Cowboys/Romo. I'm not going all Ray "Laces Out Dan!" Finkle on the team or their QB. Now, admittedly I'm not above needling their fans a bit, but hey, that's the nature of being a fan. :mad:

:dunno:

:dunno:

I know, I won that thread last year. You would think people would stop bringing it up as an issue. :doublethumbsup:

Did you really? Romo fading down the stretch AGAIN and Dallas not winning a playoff game AGAIN validates your win? :unsure:

I know, I won that thread last year. You would think people would stop bringing it up as an issue. :doublethumbsup:

it would take alot of really good arguing to get me behind Romo on this one.

i just can't really justify an NFL QB/ choke artist spending his time preparing for PGA Tour golf events instead of preparing for the upcoming NFL season.

Unless he isn't putting much effort into it? which like I said would make me say why bother? These are professional golf events we are talking about. Even your average scratch golfer trying to qualify for the US Open is practicing every day for months or years for this.

this isn't just a vacay with Jessica.

it would take alot of really good arguing to get me behind Romo on this one.

i just can't really justify an NFL QB/ choke artist spending his time preparing for PGA Tour golf events instead of preparing for the upcoming NFL season.

Unless he isn't putting much effort into it? which like I said would make me say why bother? These are professional golf events we are talking about. Even your average scratch golfer trying to qualify for the US Open is practicing every day for months or years for this.

this isn't just a vacay with Jessica.

He's already been preparing for the season. He's thrown a lot of passes to Roy, etc.

Meh, I love to bash Romo as much as the next guy but i dont see a problem with him trying to qualify.

It was a bit humerous that he choked down the stretch.

He's already been preparing for the season. He's thrown a lot of passes to Roy, etc.

Why not go above and beyond?

Meh, I love to bash Romo as much as the next guy but i dont see a problem with him trying to qualify.

It was a bit humerous that he choked down the stretch.

meh, like ive said i guess not for the US Open but what baffles me more is him trying to qualify for another PGA event... does he wanna be a pro QB or a pro golfer?

ah well, hopefully it has a negative impact on the cowgirls :thumbsup:

ah well, hopefully it has a negative impact on the cowgirls :thumbsup:

+1

Though it's not like that team ever has to look hard for negative impacts.

Jessica Simpson was to be his caddy if he qualified. He told her he'd be in a foursome with 3 other guys and she quipped" Tony,I thought you were straight,so does this mean I'm HIV now" :lol:

I see nothing wrong with it. If anything playing golf will make him a better football player. He's not riding on motorcycles, or overdosing on drugs... he's simply enjoying a hobby.

Don't be jealous of the fact that he's so talented that he is able to do one of his hobbies at almost a professional level.

WhiteWonder, your hate of Romo is tangible.

I see nothing wrong with it. If anything playing golf will make him a better football player. He's not riding on motorcycles, or overdosing on drugs... he's simply enjoying a hobby.

Don't be jealous of the fact that he's so talented that he is able to do one of his hobbies at almost a professional level.

not jealous. at least not of his golf ability :cheers:

kinda jealous he gets to bang jessica simpson. and make a ton of money playing football.

He is a Jack of all trades and master of none.

Were you talking about golf or football?

I wonder how secure his Qb gig in big D is :unsure:

I think that was part of the problem in Dallas. Most starters were secure in their jobs and knew they weren't going anywhere. Cutting TO, Pacman, Tank, RW, etc. might change that but I don't think Kitna or the rookie are a threat to Romo.

Are you guys still talking about this? :unsure:

NFL players. Both stars and scrubs have lives outside of football. They do all kinds of things. Some play golf. Some love bowling. They go on vacations all the time. They love some pool or poker.

Some have huge families with three and four kids. Do you know how much time and dedication that takes in the off season?

Tony Romo paying golf and getting the opportunity of a lifetime and maybe qualifying for some kind of tournament is absolutely, positively no big deal whatsoever. It's one of the funniest things I have ever read on here (and that is saying a lot).

There are other things you can rag on Romo for. Stick to those and stop piling on with non-sense.

Are you guys still talking about this? :lol:

NFL players. Both stars and scrubs have lives outside of football. They do all kinds of things. Some play golf. Some love bowling. They go on vacations all the time. They love some pool or poker.

Some have huge families with three and four kids. Do you know how much time and dedication that takes in the off season?

Tony Romo paying golf and getting the opportunity of a lifetime and maybe qualifying for some kind of tournament is absolutely, positively no big deal whatsoever. It's one of the funniest things I have ever read on here (and that is saying a lot).

There are other things you can rag on Romo for. Stick to those and stop piling on with non-sense.

I think that you are confusing a casual round with your buddies a few times a week with qualifying for the US Open. It requires a lot of preparation and the qualifying rounds are typically multi-day events. Just to make yourself not look like a fool out on the course takes a lot of practice on the range, putting, and on the course.

If I were the Cowboys, I would certainly be asking him to spend that time in the weight room, with the new players, or with a sports psychologist. :dunno:

Settle down, the guy shot an 80.

I think that you are confusing a casual round with your buddies a few times a week with qualifying for the US Open. It requires a lot of preparation and the qualifying rounds are typically multi-day events. Just to make yourself not look like a fool out on the course takes a lot of practice on the range, putting, and on the course.

If I were the Cowboys, I would certainly be asking him to spend that time in the weight room, with the new players, or with a sports psychologist. :lol:

When Romo misses a mandatory camp, or practice, or game. Wake me up.

And how do you know he isn't working out right now? Do you hold this same standard to every player in the league. McNabb hasn't won a title. Are we making sure he is in the weight room in the offseason with the new players or with a psychologist? What about 90% of the other QB's in the league. Romo is a polarizing figure on a polarizing team so he gets crap like this. It's stoopid.

I would argue that being un-married with no kids and playing even 6 hours of golf a day for a month or two is far less dedication than a player being at home with 3 kids or something like that. Do you also think that married players need to be isolated so they can work out 24/7?

I mean, not to act like I am somebody, but have you guys ever hung out with a professional sports figure at all? If you have you would see how dumb you guys sound. The word fan comes from Fanatic. We fans are really jaded when it comes to stuff like this.

Ya'll are funny.