Sign in to follow this  
Lionsjunkie

CBS SPORTSLINE

June 24th is the last day to get their discounted league at $149...after that it's $179 :thumbsdown:

I realize most of you guys are moving to MFL or other leagues but some of us have long standing history at CBS...I have been Commish of 1 league there for 5 years. I am stronlgy considering the move to MFL but would hate to have to transfer all the History.

Anyhow, I called the payment line and got nowhere...he advised me to send an email thru the Help Center...so I did, feel free to bomb their Help Center as well, maybe we can all get somewhere :headbanger:

This is what I sent over...

I have been Commish her for 5 years and am strongly considering switching to My Fantasy League for this year. I can't keep passing on league cost increases to my owners. The country is in a recession and CBS continually increases the league costs. The features that you have added this year are nothing spectacular to warrant such an increase. FWIW, CBS is getting horrible press at a couple of FF forums due to the increase.

I don't need a draft kit so can you decrease the league cost. $149 is too much and $179 is ridiculous. MFL is 79 with a $10 off if you purchase by July 31st...I am Commish of 2 other leagues over there and may be forced to transfer this league as well if you can't work with me on the league cost.

Thanks, look forward to a quick response.

:wacko:

June 24th is the last day to get their discounted league at $149...after that it's $179 :pointstosky:

I realize most of you guys are moving to MFL or other leagues but some of us have long standing history at CBS...I have been Commish of 1 league there for 5 years. I am stronlgy considering the move to MFL but would hate to have to transfer all the History.

Anyhow, I called the payment line and got nowhere...he advised me to send an email thru the Help Center...so I did, feel free to bomb their Help Center as well, maybe we can all get somewhere :P

I have been Commish her for 5 years and am strongly considering switching to My Fantasy League for this year. I can't keep passing on league cost increases to my owners. The country is in a recession and CBS continually increases the league costs. The features that you have added this year are nothing spectacular to warrant such an increase. FWIW, CBS is getting horrible press at a couple of FF forums due to the increase.

I don't need a draft kit so can you decrease the league cost. $149 is too much and $179 is ridiculous. MFL is 79 with a $10 off if you purchase by July 31st...I am Commish of 2 other leagues over there and may be forced to transfer this league as well if you can't work with me on the league cost.

:unsure:

You can do that all you want, but the only thing that matters is if people stop using the service. I have a 14 team league, so the cost was less than $2 per person more this year. I'm not defending their pricing increase, but as long as people are still using it, they'll charge what they like. The only form of complaining that works is to take your business elsewhere. I'm not ready to do that yet as I still prefer sportsline to MFL as I think they have a better user interface, but had I waited for the $180 pricing range, I may have had to look elsewhere as its hard to justify $100 more that MFL when, at the end of the day, they accomplish the same thing.

i have never used CBS... what makes them special?

ESPN is free, keeps each years history, has a front page message board, live scoring updates.... flexible on most stats and has the ability to format for keepers...

I can't really think of much more that would justify me ever paying $140 or more....

Out of curiosity why do people pay for these services?

I realize that some may not like my viewpoint on the matter, so remember that it is just my opinion.

The free services....you get what you pay for and you paid nothing, so.........IMO you get a garbage, plain, boring service

CBS: haha....seriously, I understand you folks about your histories and such but still....give them the finger and leave since they have no shame and are robbing you all for something that again IMO is not any better that their competitors.

RTS: boring

MFL: I friggin love MFL....the customization is endless, the price is very fair, and support is awesome. Now, for those of you that think MFL is too in depth or just dont want to put in the time and work, you can always hire others (wink) to do it for ya.....the community board is beyond helpful for those who want to learn and put in the work. Never understood everyone paying so much money to have a league that looks like every other league....on MFL, you get it your way. I don't know anyone who has used them and left for anyone else.

Best of luck to all this coming season....and remember, just my opinion.

I thought the only difference between pay sites and free ones is the "expert advice" you get. You know, the fat kid they hired to say the obvious. "I think Peyton Manning is going to have a very solid year". :o

Ditch the pay sites and put that money towards the payout.

June 24th is the last day to get their discounted league at $149...after that it's $179 :o

Anyhow, I called the payment line and got nowhere...he advised me to send an email thru the Help Center...so I did, feel free to bomb their Help Center as well, maybe we can all get somewhere :dunno:

:(

You're just figuring out now that CBS is overpriced? Talk about a moon landing!

im still not hearing much reason to use a pay service over an ESPN.

I played in a league last year that was on ESPN, my dynasty league is MFL, and I run my league off of sportsline. I can't tell you that CBS is worth $150 more than nothing. Its probably not. A lot of it for me is the user interface. I think CBS is ahead of every other site in this department. Its simple and intuitive to use. They offer all the scoring options I'm looking for and my league is comfortable with it. The histories are nice, but not really a factor in keeping my league on CBS. The major drawback I have with CBS is their tech support is via email and your going to wait at least a day to get a response if you even get one. Fortunately I haven't had to use it often.

I don't like the MFL interface, it's cumbersome (to me) and despite the fact I've used it for 4 years now I still have a difficult time navigating to things I don't use often like trying to find the draft order. Also setting up draft picks and free agent claims seem to take longer than they should due to the way you have to navigate through a pulldown list of players. That being said, MFL does everything CBS does and if you are okay with its setup then at half the price, its a much better deal.

ESPN was vastly improved from what it used to be when I had a league on it many years ago. However as a commissioner I'm not sure how much functionality it has in terms of setting up a league (keepers, free agent auctions, etc) but its probably something I'll explore next year as CBS has gotten a little too proud of its product. Again, I prefer the user interface at CBS, but ESPN wasn't bad and was pretty intuitive for the most part.

As of late all the sites have had little downtime or functionality issues. CBS had a bad year a couple of years ago, but even in that year my league had no problems - though many others did. Enough so that they offered their service at a discount the following year.

I played in a league last year that was on ESPN, my dynasty league is MFL, and I run my league off of sportsline. I can't tell you that CBS is worth $150 more than nothing. Its probably not. A lot of it for me is the user interface. I think CBS is ahead of every other site in this department. Its simple and intuitive to use. They offer all the scoring options I'm looking for and my league is comfortable with it. The histories are nice, but not really a factor in keeping my league on CBS. The major drawback I have with CBS is their tech support is via email and your going to wait at least a day to get a response if you even get one. Fortunately I haven't had to use it often.

I don't like the MFL interface, it's cumbersome (to me) and despite the fact I've used it for 4 years now I still have a difficult time navigating to things I don't use often like trying to find the draft order. Also setting up draft picks and free agent claims seem to take longer than they should due to the way you have to navigate through a pulldown list of players. That being said, MFL does everything CBS does and if you are okay with its setup then at half the price, its a much better deal.

ESPN was vastly improved from what it used to be when I had a league on it many years ago. However as a commissioner I'm not sure how much functionality it has in terms of setting up a league (keepers, free agent auctions, etc) but its probably something I'll explore next year as CBS has gotten a little too proud of its product. Again, I prefer the user interface at CBS, but ESPN wasn't bad and was pretty intuitive for the most part.

As of late all the sites have had little downtime or functionality issues. CBS had a bad year a couple of years ago, but even in that year my league had no problems - though many others did. Enough so that they offered their service at a discount the following year.

I switched to ESPN from yahoo 4 years ago... ESPN is great imo. A nice, clean, easy to use interface. It is pretty flexible with scoring setup, you can format for keepers, you can do draft or auction, it keeps year by year history...

i guess what im getting at is that it seems to be a very complete product for free. Im wondering what CBS or even MFL offer that make them more attractive for 100-150 more.

ok. the biggest advantage of the pay sites over the free ones is typically real time scoring. I've played on msn, yahoo and espn free leagues and hated the fact that I couldn't keep up with my players stats in real time, you usually have to wait until overnight to see any kind of real scoring updates. I've been on CBS for years in my long time league and am mixed. In all honestly, they aren't nearly as customizable as at RTSports, but the interface is by far the easiest to use. However, I am simply having a hard time justifying $150 per season for something I can get for 1/2 that elsewhere. I'm very curious about my fantasy league because I haven't been in a league on there. At this point, I say :music_guitarred: to cbs and have emailed my league reminding them that if we don't re-register by tomorrow we're looking at $180 and recommending we look somewhere else.

I also have ran a league using ESPN for a number of years for free. It is all we need and its free! I cannot even comprehend why someone would pay that much for CBS.

ok. the biggest advantage of the pay sites over the free ones is typically real time scoring. I've played on msn, yahoo and espn free leagues and hated the fact that I couldn't keep up with my players stats in real time, you usually have to wait until overnight to see any kind of real scoring updates. I've been on CBS for years in my long time league and am mixed. In all honestly, they aren't nearly as customizable as at RTSports, but the interface is by far the easiest to use. However, I am simply having a hard time justifying $150 per season for something I can get for 1/2 that elsewhere. I'm very curious about my fantasy league because I haven't been in a league on there. At this point, I say :overhead: to cbs and have emailed my league reminding them that if we don't re-register by tomorrow we're looking at $180 and recommending we look somewhere else.

I have never had a problem with live scoring on ESPN. If getting live scoring a few seconds earlier costs x amount of dollars, no thanks. The only thing I see paid sites having over espn is if you have an extremely complicated scoring system that requires extreme settings.

ok. the biggest advantage of the pay sites over the free ones is typically real time scoring. I've played on msn, yahoo and espn free leagues and hated the fact that I couldn't keep up with my players stats in real time, you usually have to wait until overnight to see any kind of real scoring updates. I've been on CBS for years in my long time league and am mixed. In all honestly, they aren't nearly as customizable as at RTSports, but the interface is by far the easiest to use. However, I am simply having a hard time justifying $150 per season for something I can get for 1/2 that elsewhere. I'm very curious about my fantasy league because I haven't been in a league on there. At this point, I say :overhead: to cbs and have emailed my league reminding them that if we don't re-register by tomorrow we're looking at $180 and recommending we look somewhere else.

for at least the past 3 years, ESPN has offered real time scoring. Im not sure if it shows the scoring on the main page matchups but if you click each individual matchup, you will see the scores are updated quickly.

I still do the scoring manually. Get the USAToday and spend a few hours counting up the points. :lol:

free.99

You're just figuring out now that CBS is overpriced? Talk about a moon landing!

NO Bozo.... it aws $119 for a very long time..and since my league entry fee was $125 it didn't bother us much...now going to $150 or even $180 it encroaches on our league payouts.

Generally I like to have no more than one entry fee be slated for league cost...

And BTW...we didn't mention Palin, GW or Obama in this thread so not sure why you're here :banana:

i didnt see this thread already started on this subject. last year i finally talked my league into upgrading sites from Yahoo to Cbs. now with these high as hell league fees i might ask them to switch again. i love CBS but dam $150 or $180 takes alot out of prize pool.

I still do the scoring manually. Get the USAToday and spend a few hours counting up the points. :unsure:

free.99

As do I. Not to sound like a cheapskate but I enjoy rifling through the "scorebaord" and seeing what is going on first hand with other teams players as well as not dropping any money on another service.

In my league we have a simple Excel Spreadsheet that we have used for years.

I still do the scoring manually. Get the USAToday and spend a few hours counting up the points. :D

free.99

As do I. Not to sound like a cheapskate but I enjoy rifling through the "scorebaord" and seeing what is going on first hand with other teams players as well as not dropping any money on another service.

Holy She-ite! Freakin' Dinosaurs! :blink:

I still do the scoring manually. Get the USAToday and spend a few hours counting up the points. :D

free.99

you must be one broke SOB :blink:

I still do the scoring manually. Get the USAToday and spend a few hours counting up the points. :nono:

free.99

not going to call u dinos and I understand the fun in manually tabulating scores. (while it is a hassle sometimes, it can be entertaining)

but there are a number of free services out there that would do this for you. It sounds like if you are still doing it manually, then you don't care much for the bells and whistles... so a simple free site like yahoo would be good.

I played in a league last year that was on ESPN, my dynasty league is MFL, and I run my league off of sportsline. I can't tell you that CBS is worth $150 more than nothing. Its probably not. A lot of it for me is the user interface. I think CBS is ahead of every other site in this department.

you mean like this (template)?

http://www99.myfantasyleague.com/2009/home/67888

you mean like this (template)?

http://www99.myfantasyleague.com/2009/home/67888

trying to get mine (below) to that point. have to add the java dropdowns (top bar) and side ones where you can switch the table from scores to standings to roster

http://www25.myfantasyleague.com/2009/home/69833

if anyone wants to copy, i'll happy take the referral fee (you can set up a free trial below):

http://football25.myfantasyleague.com/2009...ARD_OF_US=69833

Those leagues are real, real plain... :banana: HAve you been to the MFL forums and looked at the Web & Graphis Design threads .... those guys can do some wicked shite with MFL...very customizable.

Those leagues are real, real plain... :banana: HAve you been to the MFL forums and looked at the Web & Graphis Design threads .... those guys can do some wicked shite with MFL...very customizable.

yeah i dont see what so special about those links. If I saw those and then saw my league pages at ESPN, I would assume I was the one paying a fee.

Those leagues are real, real plain... :mellow: HAve you been to the MFL forums and looked at the Web & Graphis Design threads .... those guys can do some wicked shite with MFL...very customizable.

yes and i'm not there yet with design knowledge.

my point was it looks just like cbs. :banana:

yeah i dont see what so special about those links. If I saw those and then saw my league pages at ESPN, I would assume I was the one paying a fee.

I won't take offense to this cause it doesnt matter if our opinions differ but how can you say you should be paying for ESPN's template over the work that some of us do for our leagues or others? Havent you noticed that your league looks like every other dingleberry's league that uses their service and that you have next to no options compared with that of what MFL allows us to do to their pages? Again, its totally cool that ESPN works for you but I think at least half of owners/commissioners out there want their league to be THEIR LEAGUE and we provide that.....personalized team banners, logos, helmets, players in YOUR team uniforms, league banners and basically any other graphic thing you can come up with as well as the ability to remove any darn thing you want from the site.......ESPN allow all that? I can't bash them as they provide the service and it works well as far as I am aware, but if I am paying for the service, I think you are high in wanting an unchangeable look which is drab and the same as every other league there. But hey its free I guess. Nothing but MFL for me. I like things my way.

Best of luck.

I won't take offense to this cause it doesnt matter if our opinions differ but how can you say you should be paying for ESPN's template over the work that some of us do for our leagues or others? Havent you noticed that your league looks like every other dingleberry's league that uses their service and that you have next to no options compared with that of what MFL allows us to do to their pages? Again, its totally cool that ESPN works for you but I think at least half of owners/commissioners out there want their league to be THEIR LEAGUE and we provide that.....personalized team banners, logos, helmets, players in YOUR team uniforms, league banners and basically any other graphic thing you can come up with as well as the ability to remove any darn thing you want from the site.......ESPN allow all that? I can't bash them as they provide the service and it works well as far as I am aware, but if I am paying for the service, I think you are high in wanting an unchangeable look which is drab and the same as every other league there. But hey its free I guess. Nothing but MFL for me. I like things my way.

Best of luck.

:lol: I take it you work for MFL?

look, to each his own and I have heard NOTHING BUT POSITIVE things about MFL.... but so far I havn't seen much in the way of reasoning to pay a large fee for some of these sites over an ESPN. The best I have been told so far is that they offer a tad more in the way of customizing minor statistics or scheduling.

Basically everything you listed above is fluff. Im sure alot of people care about customizeable league banners and colorful visuals..... I care about real time scoring updates, yearly league history, draft and stat flexibility (ie the things that tell us who won and lost and keep a record if it)... I only say ESPN because it is what I use, there may be other free services out there that are just as good. Id also like to add that you can use your own custom team logos on ESPN.

To me, the money spent on being able to have a unique graphic or two on my league page would be better spent as winnings for the people drafting the best teams.

If "players in YOUR team uniforms" means I can tune in on Sundays and see LT running around wearing a purple flowered jersey that says WhiteWonder on the front, then count me in! :doublethumbsup:

:argue: I take it you work for MFL?

look, to each his own and I have heard NOTHING BUT POSITIVE things about MFL.... but so far I havn't seen much in the way of reasoning to pay a large fee for some of these sites over an ESPN. The best I have been told so far is that they offer a tad more in the way of customizing minor statistics or scheduling.

Basically everything you listed above is fluff. Im sure alot of people care about customizeable league banners and colorful visuals..... I care about real time scoring updates, yearly league history, draft and stat flexibility (ie the things that tell us who won and lost and keep a record if it)... I only say ESPN because it is what I use, there may be other free services out there that are just as good. Id also like to add that you can use your own custom team logos on ESPN.

To me, the money spent on being able to have a unique graphic or two on my league page would be better spent as winnings for the people drafting the best teams.

If "players in YOUR team uniforms" means I can tune in on Sundays and see LT running around wearing a purple flowered jersey that says WhiteWonder on the front, then count me in! :sleep:

No, I do not work for MFL....there are some of us that do graphics and coding for folks if they request it on our sites is what I was getting at.

A tad more? lol

Customize team logos on ESPN as long as they fit their parameters. lol. Like I said, I get it, half of the folks want to look at something cool, eye-catching, whatever and then there are folks who want to look at what amounts to the visual stimulation of a gas station receipt.....I was just saying that if you had to pay for ESPN and did so, that would be funny.

As far as money to winners....who cares...win money anyway and I spend it the same and it is gone.....800 bucks and 840 bucks is not changing much....and as far as cost of MFL's service, hardly expensive when it is less than $7 per owner....its about kicking the **** out of very active competition that some of us play for...the money just perk. I suppose if you play in a free league or a $10 league or whatever, then I can see pinching the penny, but otherwise, whatever makes the EXPERIENCE more entertaining is what we shoot for.

Whats funny is arguing MFL over ESPN in a thread that was intended to bash CBS and there ridiculous rates.....guess that was too easy....lol

No, I do not work for MFL....there are some of us that do graphics and coding for folks if they request it on our sites is what I was getting at.

A tad more? lol

Customize team logos on ESPN as long as they fit their parameters. lol. Like I said, I get it, half of the folks want to look at something cool, eye-catching, whatever and then there are folks who want to look at what amounts to the visual stimulation of a gas station receipt.....I was just saying that if you had to pay for ESPN and did so, that would be funny.

As far as money to winners....who cares...win money anyway and I spend it the same and it is gone.....800 bucks and 840 bucks is not changing much....and as far as cost of MFL's service, hardly expensive when it is less than $7 per owner....its about kicking the **** out of very active competition that some of us play for...the money just perk. I suppose if you play in a free league or a $10 league or whatever, then I can see pinching the penny, but otherwise, whatever makes the EXPERIENCE more entertaining is what we shoot for.

Whats funny is arguing MFL over ESPN in a thread that was intended to bash CBS and there ridiculous rates.....guess that was too easy....lol

heh like I said, a few fancy visuals, to me, has little to do with the meat of fantasy football. A good service that offers live updated scoring, league history, pretty solid scoring customization, good customer service and few scoring problems is all I need. Obviously MFL offers this as well which is why it becomes a debate of what they add on top of it that merits paying a fee.

I will never believe that having MORE money in the prize pool is a bad thing. Any way you slice it up, paying for a FF league service takes money out of the prize pool.

Also, I have never had a problem using any image for my ESPN team logo. As far as the visual stimulation of a gas station receipt... while that analogy was, well, interesting to say the least..... ESPN is pretty pleasing to the eye. Much more so than any of those MFL links I took a look at. They reminded me of looking at a cheap startup blog page.

and yes, CBS was way too easy to shoot down. 180 is insanity.

heh i prolly shouldnt have said that, was bound to strike a chord. I appologize.

obviously I was referring to the MFL pages listed above in this thread, seeing as those were the only ones listed.....

the ones you just posted are much better than those I was looking at, but still, not much better if at all from what I see when I go to the ESPN league pages. In fact, the only thing I think I prefer about some of those pages is the large picture box (found in the first link you provided) that looks like the kind of thing you find on most major sports sites, scrolling through the important stories/pictures of the day.

Anyways, Im not trying to pick on you. This thread has kind of become a back and forth between us and gotten off topic. Best of luck making an awesome looking page. :dunno:

Since this thread was started nearly a week ago, I'm curious how CBS responded to the e-mail blasts. Since the price is still the same, I suspect it went like this :pointstosky: ... :pointstosky: ... :pointstosky: ... :pointstosky: . And don't resort to their bogus deadline extension, they did that last year all the way up to opening day of the season (and probably past).

If I were to guess as to their response it would look like this "thank you for your years of loyalty and we wish your league good luck at its new website."

Since this thread was started nearly a week ago, I'm curious how CBS responded to the e-mail blasts. Since the price is still the same, I suspect it went like this :doublethumbsup: ... :banana: ... . And don't resort to their bogus deadline extension, they did that last year all the way up to opening day of the season (and probably past).

If I were to guess as to their response it would look like this "thank you for your years of loyalty and we wish your league good luck at its new website."

How bout they didn't even reply :doublethumbsup: :overhead:

OFFER EXTENDED - Save $30 off the regular price of $179.99 + get a FREE draft kit!

Renew this league for the 2009 football season on or by 11:59pm ET July 16, 2009 to ensure a price of $149.99 and a free draft kit

This is on my CBS homepage. Perhaps they have not collected as much $ as this time last year??

Yahoo! is now offering free live scoring in all their leagues, and the premium leagues are only $29.95 (down from $124.99).

The free leagues now offer almost all the options that Sportsline charges for.

Glad to see Yahoo go to free live scoring. Stat Tracker was actually a pretty good deal since you could use it for multiple leagues, but this is gravy.

I don't like those MFL pages much either, as I prefer simplicity in my interfaces. I have no idea why anyone would pay for CBS at this point.