Sign in to follow this  
Casey71

#4 people?

it's no mystery... the top 4 are virtually set in stone in most mocks:

AP

MJD

Turner

Forte

5 is the question... 5 is the tough spot.

and I'll go on record here questioning why it isn't clearly DeAngelo... people are taking Fitz, LT... DeAngelo was the top RB in fantasy last year. He's healthy. He looks fantastic running with both power and speed. He catches the ball. He's a yardage monster (see NCAA records) and he scores a lot.

I have 4 in a 12 team no ppr and I will end up with Forte. I want MJD but I doubt he slips to me. I do not want LT. He will be ok, but his best days are behind him. Forte seems to be the safest pick IMO.

I have 4 in a 12 team no ppr and I will end up with Forte. I want MJD but I doubt he slips to me. I do not want LT. He will be ok, but his best days are behind him. Forte seems to be the safest pick IMO.

The guy who was a rookie last year, with a new QB is the safest pick? Also take a look at the week 14, 15, 16 matchups for Forte. I think he will see less receptions this year because Cutler doesn't check down nearly as often as Orton.

My no ppr is

AP

Turner

MJD

Forte

LT

PPR:

AP

MJD

LT

Forte

Turner

LT just doesnt explode anymore. He is not the beast he once was. If I was going to take anyone else over Forte it would be Deangelo. And Forte seems safe to me. They will still run the ball a lot, he wont be facing 8 in the box and the rest of his schedule is pretty easy.

I take LT over Forte at #4 since I'm not touching Forte's playoff schedule. He's borderline benchworthy in the fantast playoffs.

and I'll go on record here questioning why it isn't clearly DeAngelo... people are taking Fitz, LT... DeAngelo was the top RB in fantasy last year. He's healthy. He looks fantastic running with both power and speed. He catches the ball. He's a yardage monster (see NCAA records) and he scores a lot.

Tell me more. Sell me on DeAngelo. :overhead:

Slaton and S-Jax don't really have competition.

CJ is more explosive

Why not the number one ranked WR instead of a RB that can be thrown in with four or five others in the same teir?

I'm a Panthers fan, and have a middle round pick. I want to be sold on DeAngelo, but am not. Please help!@#!

I take LT over Forte at #4 since I'm not touching Forte's playoff schedule. He's borderline benchworthy in the fantast playoffs.

The Balt game is tough but he did ok against the Vikes last year.

I have 4th and it is looking like Forte will be left out of the top 4. I don't really want him there and am looking to move back.

I think Cutler cuts down on his carries and catches. KJ doing well may not do much, but doesn't help either...

Tell me more. Sell me on DeAngelo. :thumbsup:

CJ is more explosive

Why not the number one ranked WR instead of a RB that can be thrown in with four or five others in the same teir?

I'm a Panthers fan, and have a middle round pick. I want to be sold on DeAngelo, but am not. Please help!@#!

what do your eyes tell you when you watch him? he's pretty impressive running both outside and inside.

• DeAngelo was the #1 fantasy RB last year.
  • He runs for yardage and TDs.
  • He catches well.
  • His O-line is terrific.
  • The team's passing attack must be respected.
  • The coaches support him; he's a locker room leader.
  • pedigree (1st round pick, NCAA yardage record).

That's everything you look for in an elite Fantasy RB.

AP? Turner? nice fantasy commodities, but they'll never be on par with the Faulk/Priest/LT group... they don't catch enough passes.

Sure, they're top guy in the absence of a true GOD but PPR or not, the elites of the elites will catch the ball and churn yardage... that along with a nose for TDs is what make a fantasy god.

AP and Turner no-catches? then they are nothing more than stewards of the throne until the true #1 arrives.

IMO, DeAngelo is the most likely RB to pick up the Fantasy-God torch: Faulk/Priest/LT.... DeAngelo.

MJD? maybe. he's been primed for it for years but JAX's o-line and pass attack won't help him much. And Garrard runs a bit himself.

Forte? maybe. catches a lot but CHI's o-line < car and Forte doesn't have enough history/pedigree behind him yet.

The knocks on DeAngelo are (ready for this overanalysis)

Tough Run Schedule: seriously. schedule and matchups are nearly irrelevant with the first 3 rounds. You use schedule and matchups to decide whether to start Donnie Avery or Bernard Berrian... you don't use it to decide who your first round pick will be.

RBBC - every team has more than one RB. Scared because JStew had 10tds? Well, it depend on how you look at it, maybe that' just a reflection on how dominant the o-line is? JStew already has an achilles issue in camp; he's missing time/practices. But watchout, Mike Goodson also plays RB and if he gets touches, he too will look great behind that line.

Tell me more. Sell me on DeAngelo. :pointstosky:

CJ is more explosive

With #4, I'm going against the grain and going SJAX (I think), even in my non PPR league. The big knock on him from all the so called experts is that he might get hurt. I don't think you can predict that with someone who is starting healthy. Most "experts" think his points per game will be #1 or #2, but he might only play 12-14 games. I'll take the upside risk

1 - Catches a lot of passes, so even if they are behind (and they will be) he'll still get yards

2 - No competition for carries

3 - Will have a higher YPC than Forte

4 - Is 4 years and a whole lot of carries younger than LT.

In my ten team PPR (all tds worth 6 points, yardage bonuses for long tds, and points awarded for yardage thresholds at 200 yards for Qbs and 75+ for RBs and Wrs) the top three picks are almost definitely going to be AP, MJD and Forte...With the fourth pick, after spending a long time trying to decide between LT, SJax, Turner, CJ and Deangelo, I think I am at the point where I am going to avoid them ALL and take my top rated QB or receiver (who are, somewhat unconventionally, Brady and Andre Johnson)...I really love the mid round value available at Rb with guys like Kevin Smith, Ronnie Brown and, even later, serviceable guys like Larry Johnson, Cedric Benson, Ray Rice, Felix Jones and Leon Washington, so I think I am going to look to anchor either two top flight receivers with my first two picks or take Brady and the best available player on the way back in round two...I know that the masses will accost me for "wasting a high pick on a Qb when there is such good value later" or "overpaying for a receiver too early", but, I have had quite a bit of success finding RB depth in later rounds or on the wire as the season progresses (and the top tier backs break down), so, rather than trying to figure out which Rb of a group that seems fairly equal to me will turn out best, I think I am going to go against the grain---still time to change my mind though, so, definitely open for ideas...

I also have the 4th pick in a 14 teamer. We are a PPR but not for RB'S only WR'S and TE's. I am really thinking I do not want Forte in the 4 spot. I am looking at either SJAX or LT. If MJD is there that will make it easier but I don't suspect he will be there. My draft is the 29th so I have some time.

I actually had the 3rd pick and I went LT over the consensus Forte and Turner. I'm in a non-PPR league and it's a re-draft. I don't buy the hype on Turner and Forte as being stone-cold locks in the top 3-4 and I don't buy that LT will fade due to age this year.

I cant side with LT in the top 5 this year....I just dont see it. I would take CJ/SlatonSJax/Forte/Turner/MJD/AP

what do your eyes tell you when you watch him? he's pretty impressive running both outside and inside.
  • He catches well.

AP? Turner? nice fantasy commodities, but they'll never be on par with the Faulk/Priest/LT group... they don't catch enough passes.

Sure, they're top guy in the absence of a true GOD but PPR or not, the elites of the elites will catch the ball and churn yardage... that along with a nose for TDs is what make a fantasy god.

AP and Turner no-catches? then they are nothing more than stewards of the throne until the true #1 arrives.

IMO, DeAngelo is the most likely RB to pick up the Fantasy-God torch: Faulk/Priest/LT.... DeAngelo.

MJD? maybe. he's been primed for it for years but JAX's o-line and pass attack won't help him much. And Garrard runs a bit himself.

Forte? maybe. catches a lot but CHI's o-line < car and Forte doesn't have enough history/pedigree behind him yet.

Tough Run Schedule: seriously. schedule and matchups are nearly irrelevant with the first 3 rounds. You use schedule and matchups to decide whether to start Donnie Avery or Bernard Berrian... you don't use it to decide who your first round pick will be.

RBBC - every team has more than one RB. Scared because JStew had 10tds? Well, it depend on how you look at it, maybe that' just a reflection on how dominant the o-line is? JStew already has an achilles issue in camp; he's missing time/practices. But watchout, Mike Goodson also plays RB and if he gets touches, he too will look great behind that line.

Now your making me wish I had the 9th-12th pick!! I really cant see him going 4th, his ADP is 11.something. I know you said "You use schedule and matchups to decide whether to start Donnie Avery or Bernard Berrian... you don't use it to decide who your first round pick will be." but that 13th 14th and 15th week of his Schedule look rough @NE MIN @NYG. Good insight. Thank you for something to think about.

it's no mystery... the top 4 are virtually set in stone in most mocks:

AP

MJD

Turner

Forte

Jonathan Stewart is a little knicked up right now, correct? Not sure what the status of that injury is/might be, but it may have some affect on DeAngelo's stock.

The other thing I'd mention is that I didn't see any of D Will's games last year. When I watched the highlight film of his season last year, I was amazed. The guy had a ridiculous number of long runs. Some might argue that he's not going to be able to do that again, but he showed great vision, was patient when he needed to be, but as soon as there was a hole he was gone. There are very few RB's I've seen with his ability over the last 5-7 years.

I'm debating between D Will, LT, and Slaton in the 5 spot this year.

Edit: I found the video in case anyone else wanted to see it. http://panthers.fandome.com/video/114246/B...008-Highlights/

the read on the lead page about the scheduled for the NFC South makes an interesting point. As a Turner owner from last year, it was very clear that he would excel against weak opponents, not so much against stronger defenses. DeAngelo was clearly the same kind of back, feasting on the weak competition. This year he faces a lot less weaklings. My faith in Jonathan Stewart is beginning to waive a bit, but I support the idea that the schedule is vastly harder this year. In fact, the more I think about it, the more the board gets tilted toward LT. I'm glad I'm not drafting yet.

In 10 of 16 games last year he had runs of of 20+ yards. I like the big play ability.

In week 14 against Tampa he had 186 yards rushing and 2 TD's. In week 16 he had 108 yards rushing and 4 TD's against the Giants.

There would have to be a significant decline for him to fall out of the top 10. Even if his TD's decline by 30%, you'd still be projecting 14 TD's. The other thing I checked on was his 2007 season. While he didn't start any games, he had 144 carries and averaged 5.0 ypc. His long run was 75 yards.

Is there any reason to believe the Panther's line won't be as good this year?

Jonathan Stewart is a little knicked up right now, correct? Not sure what the status of that injury is/might be, but it may have some affect on DeAngelo's stock.

The other thing I'd mention is that I didn't see any of D Will's games last year. When I watched the highlight film of his season last year, I was amazed. The guy had a ridiculous number of long runs. Some might argue that he's not going to be able to do that again, but he showed great vision, was patient when he needed to be, but as soon as there was a hole he was gone. There are very few RB's I've seen with his ability over the last 5-7 years.

I'm debating between D Will, LT, and Slaton in the 5 spot this year.

Edit: I found the video in case anyone else wanted to see it. http://panthers.fandome.com/video/114246/B...008-Highlights/

That is a great highlight video.. and i truly think that DeAngelo Williams is the real deal... he makes people miss all the time.. has amazing vision and usually breaks a long run every game.. he is a game changer.. and he most definitely has the potential to be the #1 back again... don't be fooled by Johnathan Stuart's 10tds.. that just shows that any running back can come in and get touchdowns with Carolina's offensive Line.. DeAngelo got quite a bit of td's at the goaline as well last year... i think he is being underrated for sure this year.. and i am really confused as to why Stuart gets so much hype.. he is just a change of pace back on a really good offensive line... stuart is a good rb as well (like a young version of Stephen Davis).. but he is not a game changer like Williams

• He catches well.

Nice breakdown TD Ryan. I'm a believer too. So much so that a week or 2 into the year, I may be talking to the Deangelo owner in my keeper league for a swap, getting Deangelo and an upgrade at WR, for A Peterson and crap at WR. Guys will think that's blashemy, but I believe in Williams future more than Petersons. Crazy, or crazy like a (John) Fox?

One more thing to throw into the mix is that Steve Smith has a big impact on the Panthers' running game. He's one of the best in the league at stretching the field and keeping a defense honest. As long as he's in the lineup, I really like the big play opportunities from D Will.

Nice breakdown TD Ryan. I'm a believer too. So much so that a week or 2 into the year, I may be talking to the Deangelo owner in my keeper league for a swap, getting Deangelo and an upgrade at WR, for A Peterson and crap at WR. Guys will think that's blashemy, but I believe in Williams future more than Petersons. Crazy, or crazy like a (John) Fox?

During the MNF preseason game vs. the Giants, Jon Gruden kept gushing about DeAngelo...

Even stating that some NFL coaches think DeAngelo is the best RB in the NFL.

Mike Tirico then says "haven't you heard of Adrian Peterson"...I can't remember what Gruden's response was but he kept praising DeAngelo (which I think means alot considering he faced him twice every year).