Sign in to follow this  
Kent

Bonehead Draft Pick Award At Your Draft?

Looking at some of the things mentioned here I don't know how well my entry will fare but here goes.

12 team league, 2 keepers from previous season, TD heavy scoring system

Pick 10 in the first round. First quarterback to go .... Tony Romo

I'm filing it under supreme Homerism looking at the guys other picks and his propensity for picking Cowboys when he could.

Pick Team Player Elapsed Time Pts

1 Cardinals Peterson, Adrian RB MIN 0/0

2 Skidude Forte, Matt RB CHI 18 sec 0/0

3 Ultimate Warrior Williams, DeAngelo RB CAR 56 sec 0/0

4 Cowboys Jones-Drew, Maurice RB JAC 1 min 9 sec 0/0

5 Skywalkers Brees, Drew QB NO 1 min 35 sec 0/0

6 Hoosier Tickets Turner, Michael RB ATL 5 sec 0/0

7 WiseKrackers Gostkowski, Stephen K NE 7 sec 0/0

8 DA Bears! Gore, Frank RB SF 2 min 50 sec 0/0

9 Harry Careys* Johnson, Andre WR HOU 5 min 1 sec 0/0

10 HoopDaddys Fitzgerald, Larry WR ARI 31 sec 0/0

11 Tailgaters Slaton, Steve RB HOU 1 min 11 sec 0/0

12 Goons Jackson, Steven RB STL 55 sec 0/0

Ok...this league has been around for about 8 years....and we had to have a replacement this year. A few guys in the league got their boss to play and he is the WiseKrackers. After he picked I was kinda of pissedbecause apparently drafting a kicker in round 1 is no very smart. I said 'Are you serious?'. He said, 'We need a good and reliable kicker don't we?'. It was kind of wierd, because some of his picks were decent....and others were bad....like round 5 he takes Steve Smith....yeah...not the Carolina Steve Smith....the NY version. Oh well...he will learn this year and come back next year a better man....or end up hating it so much because his team gets smoked week-in-week-out that he never plays FF again. The rest of the teams are good....except for his.

WiseKrackers

E Manning

K Orton ®

S Hill ®

M Barber

S Smith - NY

W Welker

D Clark

R Bush

T Jones

B Celek ®

V Shiancoe ®

S Gostkowski

Jets

I was in a surreal fleaflicker draft last night. Most of the league appears to be from the same family, and I think some of the players must be just in it to be a good family member. Here are a few picks in the top 50 that baffled me, even with the fact that there were 3 keepers:

Knowshon Moreno RB DEN (4th overall)

Chris Henry RB TEN (23rd overall)

Tiki Barber RB NYG (24th overall)

Ryan Grice-Mullen WR HOU (37th overall)

Benjamin Watson TE NE (44th overall)

I was laughing hard at Watson - I see Baker getting the starter. Watson just came back and will still SUCK if he starts!

Best pick of the draft.

Doing our draft using yahoo's online system for the out of town people, but with about half the league in the same room. In the 6th round my buddy selects 4th or 5th string RB Andre Brown of the NY Giants...

he had accidentally switched the ranking view from best available to alphabetical and thought he was grabbing the best RB available. It's going to be a while before he lives that one down.

I was in a surreal fleaflicker draft last night. Most of the league appears to be from the same family, and I think some of the players must be just in it to be a good family member. Here are a few picks in the top 50 that baffled me, even with the fact that there were 3 keepers:

Knowshon Moreno RB DEN (4th overall)

Chris Henry RB TEN (23rd overall)

Tiki Barber RB NYG (24th overall) :headbanger:

Ryan Grice-Mullen WR HOU (37th overall)

Benjamin Watson TE NE (44th overall)

Smith in the 5th and everyone knew what they were doing?

Edit: Nevermind

Who's the real bonehead?

The rest of the teams are good....except for his.

WiseKrackers

E Manning

K Orton ®

S Hill ®

M Barber

S Smith - NY

W Welker

D Clark

R Bush

T Jones

B Celek ®

V Shiancoe ®

S Gostkowski

Jets

Not the worst team in a 12 team league I've seen especially without a no.1 pick needs some WRs though

I had a guy take Jonathon Stewart in the 3rd, In the same draft a guy had yet to take a qb, in the 6th Romo was still there he took Greg Olson instead, then the Steelers D,then Gostkowski,He could have taken Romo and those 3 picks would have still been there a round later. He ended up getting Matt Ryan in the 10th. Same guy took Earl Bennett in the 9th round of a differant draft. The bad thing is the guy thinks he's a know it all and in reality he is a dumba$$.

Last pick in the 3rd round the guy in the 12 spot takes Ray Rice.

Everyone let him have it. Good times.

He's starts arguing that he is the guy and the player he wanted...

I said you could have had him in the 8th round. Or a reach pick in the 6th if he panicked.

And he says, "You're right...I'm a mess.". HAHAHAHAHA!

He had the balls to go WR/WR in the 12 spot. But his RBs are painful.

Rice went in the 5th in both of my drafts yesterday so from the 12 spot this guy would have missed him using your stratagy. ADP is highly over rated and never reflects any of my drafts. If you want someone you have to go and get him.

That being said, A, Rodgers went #8 overall to a guy from Wisconsin.

having your draft before the week 3 pre season games are over

that is at boneheaded as it gets :mad:

Tough to get 12 guys to do a live draft on a holiday weekend. We always do it the weekend before for this reason.

with only 5 kickers gone (it was rd 14 of 16-round draft) I had, in the same round, two different (and unrelated lol) coaches select Garret Hartley and John Carney.

OK I admit it I didn't do any K research. So I don't know who actually has the job in NO. Nor do I care??

In conclusion, while I am not sure who it is...one of those guys made the boneheaded pick of the draft.

I guess I will find out on opening day when I watch Pierre Thomas get me 3 first half touchdowns :mad:

Both of them kind of did, because Hartley's suspended for 4 games. I'd avoid NO kickers entirely until that gets sorted out.

New guy in our non-ppr league took Chad Ochocinco at the 2.07 spot as the third receiver taken overall (after Fitz and Moss)...He followed that up with Mason Crosby in the fifth round. Dead money.

There was left so much talent on the board and he bailed for Rice. I like Rice as a solid #3 RB. Lets not all go crazy for Rice. I like him, but not as my #1. C'mon.

I agree. I could see some people making a stretch to make him a #2 RB in a deep league (ie. 14 teams) but to draft him as your #1 RB is crazy. There are too many things that can go wrong with this pick. One being McGahee.

also he has never been a starter at the NFL level so there is an element of risk there too. (although I'm reasonably sure he will do at least adequate)

Problem is.... your #1 RB should not be 'adequate' he should be a monster.

Hes a good player, but not your #1 RB.

While it may be early for Ray Rice regardless of how he does this year, fact is when you draft from the 1st or 12th position of the draft and really, really want a guy, you're going to have to reach for him.

I've had the 12th spot a lot over the years and go into each of those drafts knowing that I will never get certain players because of where I am drafting. And I try very hard not to reach for picks when better options are available. The only time I would reach out of the 12th spot is in the later rounds. Brandon Marshall was one of those "reaches" a few years ago when there were higher ranked players on the board. But that was in the 6th or 7th round, not the 3rd. And, after the first week of the season, I was glad I went with my gut on that one. (Maybe I can get Brandon in the 6th or 7th this year:-)

So good luck with Ray Ray. Maybe you will get the last laugh.

Scatter shooting in my draft...

QBs went early and fast

Tony Romo went 25th overall. :dunno: (And I'm a Dallas fan)

P. Rivers 27th

Matt Ryan @ 30th <_<

Big Ben @ 46 :headbanger:

Brandon Marshall 35th - not with a 10 ft pole. Perchance at pick 121.

Braylon Edwards - 38th

PITT D 63rd

and my one personal bonehead move...

Greg Olsen at 61. If he gets the recepts like Witten (who else is Cutler gonna throw to?) he COULD be a top 3-4 TE. Or he could be another Desmond Clark. Probably should have grabbed John Carlson around 130-140.

Early, definitely, but it might work out fine for him.

HERE is true bonehead move: In my league, last night, someone drafted Vick as their backup QB. We can only start one each week. There were plenty of legit backup QBs left - Hasselbeck, Palmer, Garrard, etc.

I said you could have had him in the 8th round. Or a reach pick in the 6th if he panicked.

You are the Bonehead. Ray Rice is a stud

OP = :dunno:

Guy with the second pick took Addai at 2.11, and D, Ward at 3.02, Nate Washington at 4.11. His team really really sucks. this is his 3rd year in the league and he is only getting worse with his drafting. Even my 10 yr old son thought his draft was bad, lol.

Guy in my only redraft league I do took Derrick Ward with the same exact pick 3.02 last night....

It's a start 2 Qb league and with about 6 Qb's off the board at that point there was some serious talent left on that board still.... including Grant, Thomas, K.Smith and the likes of Jennings, Roddy, SS, & Colston at WR :wacko:

He actually said Hines Ward, Tampa Bay.... threw the whole draft into a WTF you smokin face? Eh the guy was an apparent emergency fill in guy after an owner backed out so I didn't say anything... he was hittin the sauce pretty hard, so he had a good time...

and my one personal bonehead move...

Greg Olsen at 61. If he gets the recepts like Witten (who else is Cutler gonna throw to?) he COULD be a top 3-4 TE. Or he could be another Desmond Clark. Probably should have grabbed John Carlson around 130-140.

I reached on Olsen too with the same exact scenerio but if yours was a 12 teamer that would make him pick 5.08 from you ?

I got him in the early part of the 6th round due to the fact the value just wasn't there at WR after I was snaked right before i picked, and the only 3 TE's I liked better than him (Witten, Clark, Gates) were gone... I was sitting there waiting for Braylon or DeSean to get to me and I was 3 picks away... sure enough both went and I was left holding my cack....

Cheers to a good season from Mr. Olsen.... :wacko:

If I have the 10th-12th pick, I always think of going:

Fitzgerald/Moss

Fitzgerald/Johnson

But I don't think I can, I need me those RB's. It is a league that starts 3WR though.

Anyway, bonehead award goes to some guy who ranked his players and left it up to the autodraft.

1st pick - Witten :rolleyes:

2nd pick - Jason Akers :shocking:

He's Fed.

When I start reading the thread about making bonehead picks and then I see R Rice in the 3rd round, I was like WTF ??

Sure its a reach but no where near bonehead.

A bonehead in our league was someguy picking Brees in the 2nd round and then selected Palmer in the 6th.

We all were like WTF ?? This ain't a 2 QB starting league.

I haven't searched for this name in a certain round, but someone took McNabb in the 4th round of a 10-team redraft league.

I agree that McNabb will be great this year, but I never understand why people reach 2 rounds early.

Bonehead for not maximising value for the pick!

with only 5 kickers gone (it was rd 14 of 16-round draft) I had, in the same round, two different (and unrelated lol) coaches select Garret Hartley and John Carney.

OK I admit it I didn't do any K research. So I don't know who actually has the job in NO. Nor do I care??

In conclusion, while I am not sure who it is...one of those guys made the boneheaded pick of the draft.

I guess I will find out on opening day when I watch Pierre Thomas get me 3 first half touchdowns :ninja:

Same thing in my league, big run on K's in 13th round so owner @ 14.01 picks Hartley...dead silence, crickets, etc. Owner looks up, "What?" followed by laughter and comments about K's on steroids!

Same draft, 5.02, WR Percy Harvin!! :lol:

Granted owner was out of town and drafting via speaker phone but I think I heard his son laughing in the background...

I reached on Olsen too with the same exact scenerio but if yours was a 12 teamer that would make him pick 5.08 from you ?

I got him in the early part of the 6th round due to the fact the value just wasn't there at WR after I was snaked right before i picked, and the only 3 TE's I liked better than him (Witten, Clark, Gates) were gone... I was sitting there waiting for Braylon or DeSean to get to me and I was 3 picks away... sure enough both went and I was left holding my cack....

Cheers to a good season from Mr. Olsen.... :dunno:

10 team PPR league

Might not be as much of a reach as I thought.

Looking at his skills - 6'5", 255 lbs, 4.53 40 time, hands like an NBA slam dunk champ

When I start reading the thread about making bonehead picks and then I see R Rice in the 3rd round, I was like WTF ??

Sure its a reach but no where near bonehead.

A bonehead in our league was someguy picking Brees in the 2nd round and then selected Palmer in the 6th.

We all were like WTF ?? This ain't a 2 QB starting league.

McNabb is a great value in the 6th. I picked him up on the last pick of the 6th in our 10 team PPR league.

Some power rankings had him rated as high as QB #5 behind Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers.

Other had him ranked as low as 10th.

Most ADP rankings had Rice going from the 5th -7th round. He got picked up in the 7th in our league. It's more about gut feelings than anything else.

I picked up Reggie Bush first pick of the 5th to be my flex RB/WR. In any scenario, he'll be either a RB3 or WR3 in my line up.

The suspended kicker from New Orleans, sorry can't remeber his name!?!?! Also, the same team drafted Slaton #5 overall, huge reach/reward IMHO...

Desean Jackson at 2.8. Guy was new to the league this year so we didn't bust his chops too much. He was solid the rest of the draft, so I guess he just loved him some DJax. Can't think of a better explanation...............

Donnie Avery at 3.5 with Welker, Boldin, etc on the board.

Yikes!

One guy in my league drafted these RBs:

RB1: Thomas Jones

RB2: Joseph Addai

RB3: Willis McGahee

I'm wondering if he used the same cheat sheet he had from last year.

Donnie Avery at 3.5 with Welker, Boldin, etc on the board.

We have a winner! :bench:

In my 12 team PPR, Ray Rice went 5.11, so there's no guarantee that your buddy gets him at 5.12/6.1 He wanted Rice, so he reached. It was a reach sure, but it wasn't that bad. Furthermore, there are ZERO slam dunks between picks 3.12/4.1 and 5.12/6.1. Your friend wasn't passing up Larry Fitz to take Rice, he was passing up on the first wave of Te run, other backs with large question marks, and 3rd/4th tier Wr's. Getting a pass catching back in PPR can be HUGE, so your friend took a chance.

Someone took Crabtree in the 5th round in my PPR draft last weds hahaha

Someone took Crabtree in my league too.