Sign in to follow this  
All_The_Way

smith or manningham

personally i think smith will be more consistent and will continue to be the number 1 goto receiver for eli

but manningham has the deep threat and could put up huge numbers 1 week and be mediocre the next..

tough decision..

i think i'm going with smith.. number 1 on waiver order and could use 1 more receiver to complete my team for the year..

let me hear your thoughts..

are they both durable players? :dunno:

They have both had good games and all. I picked up smith and hope he does well going forward but everyone over hypes players that play well on sunday or monday night.

Lets hope I am wrong and Smith finishes top 10-15

I wouldn't put too much stock in how they performed against Dallas. The Giants running game is not going to get shut down like that too often. Dallas successfully focused on stopping Jacobs and Bradshaw which is why Eli had to throw as much as he did. The good news as a Giants fan is that Eli proved he can win even if he as to air it out. Well, that and the 4 turnovers helped. Bottom line is Smith and Manningham probably won't see many games like Sunday night.

I wouldn't put too much stock in how they performed against Dallas. The Giants running game is not going to get shut down like that too often. Dallas successfully focused on stopping Jacobs and Bradshaw which is why Eli had to throw as much as he did. The good news as a Giants fan is that Eli proved he can win even if he as to air it out. Well, that and the 4 turnovers helped. Bottom line is Smith and Manningham probably won't see many games like Sunday night.

Do the managers in your league read this forum and have a higher waiver priority than you?

Do the managers in your league read this forum and have a higher waiver priority than you?

I'm in a 14 team league. There are currently 77 receivers on rosters. Needless to say neither Smith or Manningham are available. Best WR available on the waiver wire - Brandon Stokely.

As a Giants fan I just know that the Giants try to win on the ground. I'm just saying that 10 catches and a TD each for those two is very flukey.

10 catches are not something to expect each week. That being said I like them both. For ppr leagues Smith will be a good 3 since he seems to be a possesion receiver. As for Manningham, I see him as a hit or miss big play type receiver. Both and good options right now and should ride the wave.

10 catches are not something to expect each week. That being said I like them both. For ppr leagues Smith will be a good 3 since he seems to be a possesion receiver. As for Manningham, I see him as a hit or miss big play type receiver. Both and good options right now and should ride the wave.

Drafted Smith and am thrilled to see him starting to break out. He's the steadier play because he's always on the field--either in Toomer's old spot, or the slot when they go 3-wide. I have both guys, but am expecting more out of Smith because of more targets and more red zone targets to this point. I don't worry about Hixon, Moss, or Hagan pressing Manningham, but I do think he could go back to the #3 receiver upon Nicks's return if they really like Nicks.

Either way, both guys are solid investments, but if I had to pick one it'd be Smith.

I think they are both going to do well at least for the next few weeks. When Hixon and Nicks get healthy again they may cut into Manningham's and Smith's production a bit, but I think either one would be a good add... maybe Smith a little more so.

Smith would be the guy I'd want to own. He did have 50+ receptions last year as a rookie, and is an excellent route runner. Manningham only had 4 targets in week 1, and broke loose for a TD because the 'Skins can't tackle. Mario will be inconsistent throughout the year in my opinion.

Manningham > Smith in TD heavy leagues

your basing that on two games? :dunno:

i think you have to go with Smith here... Manningham has had two nice games, but that doesn't mean squat...

Smith is the #1 WR, gets way more looks, is Eli's go to target, always seems to be open, its also the guys 3rd year and thats when all the magic happens.. is definitely better in PPR leagues, and in TD heavy leagues, i would say if Manningham continues his amazing production... at worst Smith will be about equal with Manningham

Smith would be the guy I'd want to own. He did have 50+ receptions last year as a rookie, and is an excellent route runner. Manningham only had 4 targets in week 1, and broke loose for a TD because the 'Skins can't tackle. Mario will be inconsistent throughout the year in my opinion.

I think Smith is a 3rd year WR. Maybe some weight gets put on that, as the 3rd year WR theory.

EDIT: Ditto the poster before me on the 3rd year thing.

I think Smith is a 3rd year WR. Maybe some weight gets put on that, as the 3rd year WR theory.

EDIT: Ditto the poster before me on the 3rd year thing.

:blink:

My bad....it's Smith's 3rd year.....he has good rapport with Eli. He's a guy I wish I would have drafted onto my teams.

Another point is Hixon left the game. If Hixon is in then Manningham doesn't get so many opportunities.

they're already saying that Hixon may not get his starting spot back when he comes back from injury, that maybe Manningham already has it. I sat on the other Steve Smith for over a year and a half waiting for this, particularly since I had to cut bait on Plax this season. In PPR leagues Smith will be a decent #2WR with upside and probably a much better investment than Mario. However, in traditional scoring leagues, I'll call it even right now but give Manningham the edge on upside.

they're already saying that Hixon may not get his starting spot back when he comes back from injury, that maybe Manningham already has it. I sat on the other Steve Smith for over a year and a half waiting for this, particularly since I had to cut bait on Plax this season. In PPR leagues Smith will be a decent #2WR with upside and probably a much better investment than Mario. However, in traditional scoring leagues, I'll call it even right now but give Manningham the edge on upside.

Ok so maybe Manningham splits starts with Hixon? The thing is Smith remains in his role whether it's Hixon or Manningham. That's why I give the edge to Smith.

Drafted Smith

drafted him in dynasty rookie draft last yr. the guy who used to write articles here before leaving for the fbgays site did know his stuff.

Question is can Smith handle a double team? I think Manningham would be the better option in a PPR league something like a Welker with deep threat abilities.

Question is can Smith handle a double team? I think Manningham would be the better option in a PPR league something like a Welker with deep threat abilities.

I'd be a bit surprised if Smith is doubled. Mario has done a little bit more damage (explosive plays), and Smith isn't a proven commodity yet. Plus there's the running game to contend with...

the giants WR's won't see many double teams because the threat of the run keeps teams honest. And Smith isn't a good double team WR because he's more of a possession WR...why double team a guy that runs 7 yrd routes? :banana: Smith doesn't have the physical skills that Manningham does, but he's a high football IQ player that gets himself into good spots and catches pretty much everything thrown to him, and isn't afraid to go across the middle. He's Eli's security blanket and will get more targets than any other WR on the roster. Manningham took advantage of a weak Dallas secondary. He'll be hit or miss throughout the season.

However, in response to cubbie, Smith is WAY more proven than Manningham at this point, particularly since he was the Giants recpt leader last year as well.

the giants WR's won't see many double teams because the threat of the run keeps teams honest. And Smith isn't a good double team WR because he's more of a possession WR...why double team a guy that runs 7 yrd routes? :banana: Smith doesn't have the physical skills that Manningham does, but he's a high football IQ player that gets himself into good spots and catches pretty much everything thrown to him, and isn't afraid to go across the middle. He's Eli's security blanket and will get more targets than any other WR on the roster. Manningham took advantage of a weak Dallas secondary. He'll be hit or miss throughout the season.

However, in response to cubbie, Smith is WAY more proven than Manningham at this point, particularly since he was the Giants recpt leader last year as well.

I was referring to Smith being a known commodity league-wide, thus forcing defenses to double him

Smith is the Welker of the G-Men, not Manningham....tough to double a guy that operates 5-10 yds from the line of scrimage :unsure:

He appears to be a more consistent option moving forward.