Sign in to follow this  
Recidivist

No Love for Belichick?

I cannot state the following more emphatically: as a lifelong Dolfan I hate Bill Belicheck for giving the NE Pats legitmacy, credibility and lets face it, for the last decade, outright supremacy of the NFL. I would punch him in the face (preferably in front of his family and team) if given the opportunity.

However, as a football fan, I cannot second guess his 4th & 2 decision to go for it. The geniusness of that call was its sheer lunacy (and perhaps idoicy). I think they got robbed on the spot and that bs pass interference call on the preceeding Colts drive.

Trent Dilfer has been sounding off like he's auditioning for other gigs about this decision by Belichick. Trent needs to grow some focking hair and STFU and come back when he has coached multiple squads to Super Bowl titles.

I cannot state the following more emphatically: as a lifelong Dolfan I hate Bill Belicheck for giving the NE Pats legitmacy, credibility and lets face it, for the last decade, outright supremacy of the NFL. I would punch him in the face (preferably in front of his family and team) if given the opportunity.

However, as a football fan, I cannot second guess his 4th & 2 decision to go for it. The geniusness of that call was its sheer lunacy (and perhaps idoicy). I think they got robbed on the spot and that bs pass interference call on the preceeding Colts drive.

Trent Dilfer has been sounding off like he's auditioning for other gigs about this decision by Belichick. Trent needs to grow some focking hair and STFU and come back when he has coached multiple squads to Super Bowl titles.

Very well put.

:thumbsup:

Any other coach woulda been called an idiot for making that call......since it's Belicheat all the sudden it's a "gutsy call". :rolleyes:

I prefer "ballsy" to "gutsy" but, hey, tomato . . . tomatoe.

Perhaps you are correct about BB getting a pass on this so-called lapse in judgement due to his past performance, but as a fan of the game, I love seeing coaches with the nuts to go all in :thumbsup:

Very well put.

:thumbsup:

Thanks bro - I know you are a Pats fan and I respect your football acumen, so I humbly accept your kind words. :rolleyes:

Thats the call you make when you're playing against your friend on Madden 10...AND in the biggest game of your regular season.

I'm cool with the call.

But that shows you man, theres one guy who is COMPLETELY secure about his job. Tom Cable wouldn't even consider making that call.

Thats the call you make when you're playing against your friend on Madden 10...AND in the biggest game of your regular season.

I'm cool with the call.

But that shows you man, theres one guy who is COMPLETELY secure about his job. Tom Cable wouldn't even consider making that call.

Funny you should say that . . . Dilfer was on ESPN radio this AM saying how Madden players wouldn't even make this call when playing a focking video game.

Belichick should be secure in his gig . . . . who has produced more rings in the past decade????

Funny you should say that . . . Dilfer was on ESPN radio this AM saying how Madden players wouldn't even make this call when playing a focking video game.

Belichick should be secure in his gig . . . . who has produced more rings in the past decade????

Ahhh dude. Dilfer is overestimating the average Madden player's IQ on a Saturday night.

I ran one drive purely on fake FG and punts...sure I drove to their 40 and threw an INT with Andy Lee, it was still fun to say "Welp...time to punt it out" on a 2nd and 6.

I never agreed with the call, even when it was happening.

I still think Faulk got the 1st down and the Pass Int call in the series before by the Colts was awful.

Bellicheat is a great guy, just ask him, he'll tell you..... :mellow:

I'm cool with the call.

This.

If Jauron made that call here in Buffalo, fans would burn his house down. Like someone mentioned earlier, it just shows you the slack that BB gets. If any average coach made that call, fans and media would be just terrorizing him and there wouldn't be one single person who would say its gutsy or ballsy.

It was a good call by Belichick.

Lets break it down....and I'm just guessing here so feel free to argue.

The odds of making it on 4th and 2: 60%? Would you guys agree with that?

The odds of stopping Manning from driving 30 yards: 15%? Surely the Pats would stop them 1 in 7 times. Right?

And what are the odds of stopping Manning from going 70 yards? Keep in mind he had just went over 70 yards on back top back possessions. My real guess is you have about a 30% shot at stopping him, but we'll say it would have been 50%.

The numbers add up. Going for it gives you about a 75% chance at winning. Punting gives you a 30%-50% shot at winning....This is how coaches should think about decisions they make. The only reason they don't is because too many coaches coach to avoid criticism and not risk their jobs, as oppose to coaching to win games.

I could give a shiit about tradition and playing by the book. The book has changed. When it was written, teams won games 13-7. Now teams win games 35-28 and offenses have no trouble going 80 yards in 2 minutes. And teams with probably the greatest QB in history have even less of a problem going 80 yards in 2 minutes.

It was a good call by Belichick.

Lets break it down....and I'm just guessing here so feel free to argue.

The odds of making it on 4th and 2: 60%? Would you guys agree with that?

The odds of stopping Manning from driving 30 yards: 15%? Surely the Pats would stop them 1 in 7 times. Right?

And what are the odds of stopping Manning from going 70 yards? Keep in mind he had just went over 70 yards on back top back possessions. My real guess is you have about a 30% shot at stopping him, but we'll say it would have been 50%.

The numbers add up. Going for it gives you about a 75% chance at winning. Punting gives you a 30%-50% shot at winning....This is how coaches should think about decisions they make. The only reason they don't is because too many coaches coach to avoid criticism and not risk their jobs, as oppose to coaching to win games.

There was a computer program that said the pats had a 79% chance of getting a 1st down and a 70% chance of stopping manning from driving 70 yards. And that did not take into account the talent of the quarterbacks and how tired the defense was at the time. It was not a typical call but there are people who study the stats that say that NFL coaches are way too consrvative than they should be. I know that Greg Easterbrook from ESPN is big on going on 4th downs and has written several columns about it. Curious to see his TMQ column today on the call.

It was not a typical call but there are people who study the stats that say that NFL coaches are way too consrvative than they should be.

they have one of those guys on the New England Patriots' staff: Ernie Adams. He's basically the RainMan of the NFL.

I would almost guarantee that the reason NE took the timeout was because BB wanted Adams' opinion on punting vs. going for it.

they have one of those guys on the New England Patriots' staff: Ernie Adams. He's basically the RainMan of the NFL.

I would almost guarantee that the reason NE took the timeout was because BB wanted Adams' opinion on punting vs. going for it.

Here is one of easterbrooks columns on 4th downs:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...terbrook/060926

interesting paragraph from his 2006 article:

Which leaves us with the question of whether the coach conjectured by Shula could ever exist. Such a coach would need to be completely unconcerned with the media and owner backlash that would follow a loss caused by a no-punt policy. Such a coach would need to be fearless, and financially independent. Will there ever be such a coach? Tuesday Morning Quarterback wonders. But next time it's fourth-and-3 and you hear the announcers say "now they have to punt," just remember: No, they don't have to punt.

Belichick is probably the only coach who would fit the bill.

His weekly column comes out later today on espn.

Here is an economics professor paper on 4th downs:

http://www.econ.berkeley.edu/users/dromer/...B_CORRECTED.pdf

I remember easterbrook writing about a high school team that NEVER punted the whole year.

The belichick failed gamble might set back the movement a few years though. The only problem I had with the move was that if he knew he would gamble on 4th down, he should have tried a run on 3rd down to shorten the distance he had to go. He also should have had the team better prepared to go for it and not wasted a timeout. If they ran it on 3rd and got it to a 4th and one then Brady may have been able to do a quick quarterback sneak. lot of 2nd guessing but belichicks decision is at least debatable after looking closer.

The belichick failed gamble might set back the movement a few years though. The only problem I had with the move was that if he knew he would gamble on 4th down, he should have tried a run on 3rd down to shorten the distance he had to go. He also should have had the team better prepared to go for it and not wasted a timeout. If they ran it on 3rd and got it to a 4th and one then Brady may have been able to do a quick quarterback sneak. lot of 2nd guessing but belichicks decision is at least debatable after looking closer.

thanks Med.

I agree with the 3rd down strategy.

It is interesting that Easterbrook, one of NE's biggest critics, would have articles/evidence supporting Belichick during one of his more controversial moments/calls.

thanks Med.

I agree with the 3rd down strategy.

It is interesting that Easterbrook, one of NE's biggest critics, would have articles/evidence supporting Belichick during one of his more controversial moments/calls.

todays column just came out and he praises Belichicks decision with some sound reasoning:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=nfl

Good links MedStudent. :thumbsup:

My whole point in starting this thread is that Belichick has earned the right to not be second guessed. If anyone who has pontificated over the airwaves or internets on this subject knew a fraction of what BB knows about football, they'd be getting paid to call the shots.

My guess is that BB felt safer with his fate in one dude's hands as opposed to eleven.