Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Awesome

Adrian Peterson is overrated.

74 members have voted

1. 1. overrated?

• yes
    • no

I was just as excited as anyone who got their hands on the first pick in the fantasy football draft this season. I decided to put my pick on Adrian Peterson. The guy was a monster his rookie season and he was good last season too, but this year, it's been a steady decline.

Take away his first week, and it's been going down a slippery slope. Let's look at his recent statistics.

11/22 - Seattle 24 Rushes for 82 YDS Avg = 3.4 YPC. His longest was only 16 YDS.

11/29 - Chicago 25 Rushes for 85 YDS Avg = 3.4 YPC. His longest was only 15 YDS.

12/06 - Arizona 12 Rushes for 19 YDS Avg = 1.5 YPC. His longest was only 11 YDS.

12/13 - Cincinnati 26 Rushes for 96 YDS Avg = 3.7 YPC. His longest was only 15 YDS.

Adrian Peterson has had seven games BELOW 4 YPC. Which I consider, an elite Running back. These statistics are from the last month.

I am sick of Adrian Peterson being compared to the Hall of Fame elite. Yeah, he has 12 TDs. Those two he got against Cincinnati were one or two yarders, and he had multiple tries to get it into the endzone.

This is no excuse. He has Brett Favre now, and Brett Favre made Thomas Jones into a running back elite last year.

Adrian Peterson USED TO have the ability to shake tackles and do some of the best cuts I've seen, now he can barely get past the line of scrimmage. He got stuffed so many times last week and the week prior. I honestly think he's overrated.

I thought he was amazing his first year, but man, I don't think he's as great as almost everyone makes him to be.

You, sir, are a fool.

The man just broke the single season franchise record for rushing TDs, in week 14. (Ahem, he's played the past two years for that very same team).

Here's a thought - the reason you're losing is because the REST of your team is garbage. Not because AD is "overrated" as you seem to believe.

I've got to disagree with that idea in terms of him being a player (which is where the hall of fame comparison comes into play). As a FF stud, yeah he's been above average, but not Marshall Faulk in his prime stud material.

He's been dinged up a bit, you can see it during the game; he's limped around a few times. I will agree that he hasn't busted a lot of long runs, but they are throwing a lot more this year. Combine less carries with being dinged and he's still had a pretty good season. I also think that they are missing a lineman or two or at least they've been rotating them. The right side is kind of weak.

You also have to take into account that they don't run him like they used to. If they are up by a ton there is no reason to pound him to death and if they are behind they are going to be throwing. They didn't have that option last year so they just ran the crap out of him.

He still runs hard and I think that he's a better power runner than Chris Johnson and he still has breakaway speed. I just don't know why CJ is staring 2K down and AD hasn't broken at least a few big ones. I'm hoping for the law of averages to kick in; he's due a few monster games and I need them this post season.

Riddle me this.

Adrian Peterson had a way better YPC average and more longer distance runs with Tarvaris Jackson as the starting QB. Then why can't he run the ball with Brett Favre? There are holes, there are chances, yet he gets stopped behind the line too many times. He has lost the explosiveness.

I agree he is overrated but that is just because the hype around him was so high. There were people saying he is the number 1 pick this year and wouldn't even entertain the thought of CJ or MJD. So he is overrated if you are saying he is hands down above those other guys. But he is not overrated if you take him for what he is, a top 5 back. He just hasn't entered that elite status that Faulk & LT held in their prime but people tried to put him there. But there is still time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6pKIj87CYA

Your right, can't make anyone miss. On pace for about 1500 rushing yards, 17 touchdowns, 400 receieving yards. friggin bum

Take away his first week, and it's been going down a slippery slope. Let's look at his recent statistics.

Way to read dumbfock.

He is doing terrible recently, and Brett Favre is no excuse. He made Thomas Jones into a star, and AP has been shut down the past four weeks average wise. He's getting shut behind the line too many times.

Way to read dumbfock.

He is doing terrible recently, and Brett Favre is no excuse. He made Thomas Jones into a star, and AP has been shut down the past four weeks average wise. He's getting shut behind the line too many times.

favre is a thief. dont hate adp. adp is a freak of nature. he is better than all rbs...

Way to read dumbfock.

That run was perhaps a top five rush of all time, your an ass if you think he can't make people miss or has lost his speed. The guy has scored three touchdowns and rushed for 283 yards in his last four weeks - yeah hes getting shut down. He plays vs 8 in the box every game and still produces with amazing consistency.

Even though he is struggling by his standards, he is match up proof. He leads the league in touchdowns for crying out loud, oh sh!t too bad he is only third in the league in rushing, your right, he sucks.

I don't know what you expected when you drafted him, but he is producing just as everyone expected him too. The guy is going to get close to 2000 total yards and up near 20 touchdowns. If you think those kind of stats are "overrated", your an idiot or just really new to fantasy football. Seasons like that don't grow on trees

Riddle me this.

Adrian Peterson had a way better YPC average and more longer distance runs with Tarvaris Jackson as the starting QB. Then why can't he run the ball with Brett Favre? There are holes, there are chances, yet he gets stopped behind the line too many times. He has lost the explosiveness.

OMG - are you serious? Lost his explosiveness - HA. This guy is the reason Favre is looking so good. Favre has man coverage with his WR's all the time thanks to AD in the backfield. What is the teams record again?

I'm going to go with neither ....

I think he is rated right where he should be ... and will probably be #1 pick next year.

My thoughts exactly. I've been wondering alot about #1 pick lately myself. In a PPR, I think CJ and Jones Drew both need more consideration next year. CJ has 53 more points than Peterson in my league right now, and MJD has 7 more. Ray Rice is only 3 behind Peterson. Lack of receptions kills AP's value compared to these guys, but it would still be hard to pass him up with pick #1.

OMG - are you serious? Lost his explosiveness - HA. This guy is the reason Favre is looking so good. Favre has man coverage with his WR's all the time thanks to AD in the backfield. What is the teams record again?

I'm not taking about the team record. The team record has nothing to do with Adrian Peterson. Barry Sanders is considered one of the greatest yet the Lions were still embarrassing.

I don't care what you say. The numbers the past four weeks prove my point. He has lost his explosiveness. He is not able to break out the long runs like he could during Week 1 or last season. The man has gone down hill. He's still good but he's not as good as other running backs in the league. It's true.

Adrian is a great back. His production is down lately and I think he's lost a bit of explosion, but I suspect it's because of the injuries that have had him on and off the injury report for weeks. And despite Favre's effectiveness, teams are still gearing up to stop the run and taking their chances with Favre. The fact that The Kiln Kannon has thus far delivered is the reason MIN is 11-2. I also think that teams have gotten a little better at defending him because they've watched miles of videotape. Defenses can adapt some to even the best players. You can usually limit the production of any offensive player if you're willing to divert enough defensive resources to it. CAR did shut Moss down this weekend, but they just opened up other possibilities for NE.

AP is only overrated by fans and Vikings players who talk as though having AP is like having Seabiscuit in your backfield because of his unique and unprecedented skill set. He hasn't shown that he's an all-time great yet. I would rate him as the NFL's best back even though others are putting up bigger numbers right now. I wouldn't think it was crazy if somebody wanted to argue for Chris Johnson, though.

137 yards and 2Td's and you try to tell everyone he sucks lately? I might have just chuckled if you did this last week but jesus h christ ...

We are all just sorry as hell you didn't draft CJ, Mkay?. Feel better?

This board is rapidly turning into retardfight.com. :thumbsup:

This board is rapidly turning into retardfight.com. :argue:

True, but atleast you can say retardfight and not get the banhammer :lol:

I'm not taking about the team record. The team record has nothing to do with Adrian Peterson. Barry Sanders is considered one of the greatest yet the Lions were still embarrassing.

I don't care what you say. The numbers the past four weeks prove my point. He has lost his explosiveness. He is not able to break out the long runs like he could during Week 1 or last season. The man has gone down hill. He's still good but he's not as good as other running backs in the league. It's true.

14 td's with 3 games left. Good grief man, he just had 97 yards and 2 td's. What focking more do you want? He's still good, but not as good as other rb in the league - wow, I mean wow - are you serious? How about he's special, great, incredible. Or are you trying to compare him to CJ 4.24 speed which has shocked the league this year and last if you were paying attention? Adrian Peterson has 4.4 speed, which is freakin' flying in his own right with that power that CJ doesn't have.

and please tell me which other running backs in the league are better?

by the way, you're getting out voted by a long shot on this one, but nice try :doublethumbsup:

14 td's with 3 games left. Good grief man, he just had 97 yards and 2 td's. What focking more do you want? He's still good, but not as good as other rb in the league - wow, I mean wow - are you serious? How about he's special, great, incredible. Or are you trying to compare him to CJ 4.24 speed which has shocked the league this year and last if you were paying attention? Adrian Peterson has 4.4 speed, which is freakin' flying in his own right with that power that CJ doesn't have.

and please tell me which other running backs in the league are better?

by the way, you're getting out voted by a long shot on this one, but nice try :thumbsdown:

On one of those touchdowns, he got stuffed I think twice. He used to make those easily his first year. Now he's having a trouble trying to get past the LOS.

These RBs are better than Adrian Peterson in no particular order.

1. Chris Johnson

2. Maurice Jones Drew

3. Steven Jackson (it's just that he's on a shitty team but he manages to make great plays)

4. DeAngelo Williams

5. Possibly Frank Gore

On one of those touchdowns, he got stuffed I think twice. He used to make those easily his first year. Now he's having a trouble trying to get past the LOS.

1. Chris Johnson

2. Maurice Jones Drew

3. Steven Jackson (it's just that he's on a shitty team but he manages to make great plays)

4. DeAngelo Williams

5. Possibly Frank Gore

well then, I will have to politely disagree. Is this your opinion in ff point terms or nfl caliber rb terms?

He is slightly over-rated only when it comes to the title of best RB in football.

Personally, I would easily put Stephen Jackson and Chris Johnson above him.

Fishing trip or nutball, but Peterson is an absolute monster. If junky YPC the past few weeks is your argument, go check out LT's record-setting 2006 and note his sub-4.0 YPC in a whole bunch of those games. Situationally, a tough 1 or 2 yards can be even more important than a back's YPC. The only guys in the league who I think are in AD's own league right now are Jackson and Chris Johnson.

On a sidenote, I'll also point out that Brett Favre didn't make Thomas Jones. The improved offensive line of the Jets and Thomas Jones himself did. Jones has matched his amazing 2008 season this year with an up-and-down rookie QB.

1. Chris Johnson

2. Maurice Jones Drew

4. DeAngelo Williams

5. Possibly Frank Gore

Seriously? Yep, Peterson is the 6th best running back in the NFL. By the way, Kerry Collins is the best QB.

1. Chris Johnson

2. Maurice Jones Drew

4. DeAngelo Williams

5. Possibly Frank Gore

First of all, I don't understand how AD hasn't done anything the past 4 weeks, and thus one of the reasons he's overrated....but then you turn around and put Frank Gore and MJD ahead of him....each of whom haven't done jack the past month. :mad: I don't remember the last time DWill scored a TD either.

And you say he's lost his explosiveness? Obviously you don't watch Vikings games....or at least not this past weekend's game against Cincy.....where AD took a pass over the middle, had two defenders pursuing him...then kicked it into another gear and left those guys 12 yards behind him. And the fact is the Vikings O-line doesn't open up many holes for AD to run through.....he's almost always getting hit right at the LOS....the Vikings get no push up front.

I don't think AD is the absolute #1 guy in the NFL....but he's up there....don't hate on the guy because he's got 26 different commercials on TV and commentators go crazy when he does something. He's a special talent who consistently produces....seriously....what's not to like?

the problem is not adp, but favre. ADP is the best player in the NFL and best Rb. favre steals his tds and yards.

favre is a thief. dont hate adp. adp is a freak of nature. he is better than all rbs...

jesus dude, just give it a rest already

I never said AP was bad, but he is definitely not the best running back in the NFL like everyone makes him out to be. I wouldn't even rank him top five.

So one year he is the best thing since Jim Brown, and the next he isn't top 5? Next year he will be the best again. People like to find something new each day. I suppose when Jerry Rice had a 1,300 yard year instead of a 1,600 yard year he was no longer the best WR in football :cheers:

He's slightly overrated in that most people always say he is easily the best running back in football. But to not say he is still great is crazy. I think he may be the best pure runner in the NFL. But as far as complete RB's go...I agree...he is not. He is not very good in the passing game at all, but he is improving, and I think he will continue to improve. MJD, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson are all more complete backs than AP. But AP is still probably the best pure runner in the game. Yes he is slightly overrated, but only because the standards for him were set soo ridiculously high.

First of all, I don't understand how AD hasn't done anything the past 4 weeks, and thus one of the reasons he's overrated....but then you turn around and put Frank Gore and MJD ahead of him....each of whom haven't done jack the past month. :) I don't remember the last time DWill scored a TD either.

DeAngelo Williams doesn't get touchdowns, but he has a GREAT YPC average. I would rather have a running back that gets five yards a carry than a running back that gets 3.7 YPC and gets more touchdowns through two yard run ins.

So one year he is the best thing since Jim Brown, and the next he isn't top 5? Next year he will be the best again. People like to find something new each day. I suppose when Jerry Rice had a 1,300 yard year instead of a 1,600 yard year he was no longer the best WR in football :dunno:

He was good his rookie season and he's been going down hill since. His YPC is ######, he's lost his explosiveness while running through gaps. He can still be a threat in the open field though, but so are half the other running backs. He'll have a good play too, like the time he took down the Steelers LB, but you have to realize that many other running backs do that as well, except they do jukes. Adrian Peterson still has ability to plow through defenders and make big plays, but he does not take as many hits now. He does not go through the gaps like he once could. A lot of announcers say that avoiding these hits and getting tackled is a smart thing to do, but that's what made AP exciting, he could plow through those defenders and he doesn't do that as much anymore.

Adrian Peterson does not take the punishing hits like he used to which causes his YPC to significantly drop, especially in the past two months. Keep in mind that the football season is already a week and a half into it's third month.

DeAngelo Williams doesn't get touchdowns, but he has a GREAT YPC average. I would rather have a running back that gets five yards a carry than a running back that gets 3.7 YPC and gets more touchdowns through two yard run ins.

Yeah, because the tough yards are not important in football :dunno:

and by the way Favre has 8 TD passes of 5 yards or less. Now last year ADP would have had all of those, he could easily be at 20 plus right now, so quit your whining :)

Yeah, because the tough yards are not important in football :dunno:

and by the way Favre has 8 TD passes of 5 yards or less. Now last year ADP would have had all of those, he could easily be at 20 plus right now, so quit your whining :)

Tough yards are important. That's why I would get DeAngelo Williams (4.8 YPC) than Adrian Peterson. Statistics show that DeAngelo Williams can get it done better with Jake Delhome as his QB. Adrian Peterson has Brett Favre. The defense respects him more yet he still gets hammered.

He was good his rookie season and he's been going down hill since. His YPC is ######, he's lost his explosiveness while running through gaps. He can still be a threat in the open field though, but so are half the other running backs. He'll have a good play too, like the time he took down the Steelers LB, but you have to realize that many other running backs do that as well, except they do jukes. Adrian Peterson still has ability to plow through defenders and make big plays, but he does not take as many hits now. He does not go through the gaps like he once could. A lot of announcers say that avoiding these hits and getting tackled is a smart thing to do, but that's what made AP exciting, he could plow through those defenders and he doesn't do that as much anymore.

Adrian Peterson does not take the punishing hits like he used to which causes his YPC to significantly drop, especially in the past two months. Keep in mind that the football season is already a week and a half into it's third month.

Uhm....you do realize he's averaging 4.5 ypc...right? That's pretty damn good. Sure, it's not DWill good...or Chris Johnson good....but it's more than respectable....and the only stretch where he's had a comparable ypc below 4.0....his rookie season.....when he was the best back ever. :)

Also, you complain that he's not hitting the gaps like he used to....it's because they're not there. Remember, the Vikes lost Birk and have inserted Sullivan. He's been more than capable as a center, but the truth is the line does not get significant push off the ball....the line of scrimmage either stays where it's at, or the Vikes get pushed back. I guarantee you that if AD had lanes to run through, he'd explode through them.

It'd be one thing to say MJD, or Johnson, or DWill are better backs....to each his own....but your diatribe seems intent on bringing AD down than propping those guys up.

:dunno:

Rumor here in Minneapolis is that he's a bit more dinged up than they let on. He hasn't had the same burst.

Not to mention the fact that it seems they don't run left as much, might be total observational error, but it seems they keep running over the right side instead of the 100 million dollar left.

Also, you complain that he's not hitting the gaps like he used to....it's because they're not there. Remember, the Vikes lost Birk and have inserted Sullivan. He's been more than capable as a center, but the truth is the line does not get significant push off the ball....the line of scrimmage either stays where it's at, or the Vikes get pushed back. I guarantee you that if AD had lanes to run through, he'd explode through them.

:thumbsdown:

See, this is what I don't get. Usually the GOAT finds ways to expose the open field without great blockers. Barry Sanders for example. This is why he's overrated. Everyone thinks he's the next elite guy in which he clearly is not. He's really good, but not one of the elite.

Rumor here in Minneapolis is that he's a bit more dinged up than they let on. He hasn't had the same burst.

Not to mention the fact that it seems they don't run left as much, might be total observational error, but it seems they keep running over the right side instead of the 100 million dollar left.

There are two reasons for this:

1) Brad Childress and his ridiculous play calling. I'm fairly certain this was going on last year... or at least I noticed it last year.

2) Adrian Peterson's inability to move the football to the correct hand once he gets to the sideline.

I'll say this too, he gets a lot of carries for little or no gains. I'm assuming this is in part due to the line, but I noticed the same thing last year. If I wanted a guy to plow through and get 4 yards, I'd go with Taylor. Peterson will get you a lot of smaller carries mixed in with a few big ones. That's the big difference. I wouldn't call him overrated, just overhyped.... and the Vikings would do well to upgrade other parts of their line this offseason... that and their secondary...