Sign in to follow this  
VinAZ

Work League Problem (Ethics Question)

OK, here’s my problem…I helped a co-worker start a fantasy league at work this year (since I’ve been commish of another league for 3 years now). He set it up as a 10-team league, with $50 buy-in. While it wasn't a company-sponsored league, members included our Sales Manager, CFO, etc....so it wasn't a big secret.…

I paid my $ up front, and advised him to collect from all owners before the draft to avoid the problem of collecting from losing owners at the end of the season. He blew it off, and said collecting from the remaining owners wouldn't be a problem.

So this week, I end up in the Super Bowl, and agreed to split the pot with the other finalist ($200 each). Predictably, the commish plans on paying out only from the pool he collected (totaling $150, not $500), because he doesn't have the balls to collect from those who haven't paid (who basically got a "free-roll" on those of us who did)...and won't cover the shortfall himself, either.

So what would you do?

wow. first rule: Always get the money up front. hard to force them to pay now. You can assault them but then you go to jail. You can steal from them but then same thing. Always, always get the cash first. If they have a problem with paying first then dont play with them.

wow. first rule: Always get the money up front. hard to force them to pay now. You can assault them but then you go to jail. You can steal from them but then same thing. Always, always get the cash first. If they have a problem with paying first then dont play with them.

Remember, I'm not the commish of this league...my co-worker is. (I always collect up front of the league where I am the commish in, though)

print up a bunch of flyers and post them all over the building. Put his picture on them, milk carton style and say something like: "Lost: Have you seen this man's nut sack? It was misplaced sometime in the last 14 weeks or so along with his spine and his dignity. It appears he is afraid to ask people who owe money to actually pay up. Reward if found".

subtle, but will probably work and won't land you in jail.

print up a bunch of flyers and post them all over the building. Put his picture on them, milk carton style and say something like: "Lost: Have you seen this man's nut sack? It was misplaced sometime in the last 14 weeks or so along with his spine and his dignity. It appears he is afraid to ask people who owe money to actually pay up. Reward if found".

subtle, but will probably work and won't land you in jail.

I think you tell the guy to pay you.....and when he says no...just smile...and go ok.

Then proceed to go on a prank rampage. Leave a cup of feces on his desk, sand filling up his desk drawers, live crickets in his bag or coat, etc.

then jsut sarcastically say, "Oh.....thats a shame.........hey you got that money?"..."No?" (smile..walk away....repeat)

Why would you just not send an e-mail to all owners indicating that you understand that some members of this league have not paid their entrance fee for the season? If it was clearly communicated that this was a pay league, then where is the problem?

I could see this being an issue if some of those people were laid off or left the company. If all are still there, then I would imagine that they would be better off to pay you than being called a welcher around the water cooler. :dunno:

Going to his house and punching him in the face in front of his wife and kids is always an option.

Not if he's bigger than you.

My rule of thumb is to only fight someone who:

Isn't bigger than me.

Promisses not to hit me back.

Is handycap

Or is a midget. (But only 1 of those little buggers at a time though)

So this week, I end up in the Super Bowl, and agreed to split the pot with the other finalist ($200 each). Predictably, the commish plans on paying out only from the pool he collected (totaling $150, not $500), because he doesn't have the balls to collect from those who haven't paid (who basically got a "free-roll" on those of us who did)...and won't cover the shortfall himself, either.

So what would you do?

You agreed to split the winnings? What kind of an owner are you? You deserve to be in this league. I'm sure this week will be exciting for you.

You agreed to split the winnings? What kind of an owner are you? You deserve to be in this league. I'm sure this week will be exciting for you.

Actually, I'm in 3 $ leagues, and was lucky enough to make the Super Bowl in all 3. I wanted to settle in this one because I'm going on vacation next week, and figured it would be easier to just settle the cash ahead of time (really, we're splitting a $250 for 1st place and $150 2nd place, so the $ diff isn't that big anyway). Trust me...I'm definitely looking forward to this weekend's games.

As for the suggestions, I do like the email blast idea, so I might have to start with that. I'm not ruling out the one about going to his house, though (I'm bigger :music_guitarred: ).

Actually, I'm in 3 $ leagues, and was lucky enough to make the Super Bowl in all 3. I wanted to settle in this one because I'm going on vacation next week, and figured it would be easier to just settle the cash ahead of time (really, we're splitting a $250 for 1st place and $150 2nd place, so the $ diff isn't that big anyway). Trust me...I'm definitely looking forward to this weekend's games.

As for the suggestions, I do like the email blast idea, so I might have to start with that. I'm not ruling out the one about going to his house, though (I'm bigger :music_guitarred: ).

In that case play again next year and don't pay. I really do question the character of the people in this league.

In that case play again next year and don't pay. I really do question the character of the people in this league.

This is a point, and it may be your point of discussion with your co-workers. This is a question of character, and you can draft a letter that suggests that things like these reflect on who you are as a person in all aspects of life, including work. You start challenging folks' character, they tend to look more closely at themselves.

as long as u get your $$$ back your ok. and everytime one of those non payees bring up $ - just remind them of their poor display of ethics and continue to rind them at least once a week.

This is a point, and it may be your point of discussion with your co-workers. This is a question of character, and you can draft a letter that suggests that things like these reflect on who you are as a person in all aspects of life, including work. You start challenging folks' character, they tend to look more closely at themselves.

I think this is probably the best approach. The real root of the problem is that the commissioner was weak...he didn't use the tools that a good commissioner would have used (replacing teams before the draft, locking rosters after the draft, etc.). However, I can't let him (or the rest of my co-workers) off the hook.

The $ here is pretty small...this is all about principle...

OK, here’s my problem…I helped a co-worker start a fantasy league at work this year (since I’ve been commish of another league for 3 years now). He set it up as a 10-team league, with $50 buy-in. While it wasn't a company-sponsored league, members included our Sales Manager, CFO, etc....so it wasn't a big secret.…

I paid my $ up front, and advised him to collect from all owners before the draft to avoid the problem of collecting from losing owners at the end of the season. He blew it off, and said collecting from the remaining owners wouldn't be a problem.

So what would you do?

We had a league like this at work also :thumbsdown: The commish would never try and collect money up front and we always had trouble collecting at end of year. One year a new guy did not pay and i happened to win. So i went around and tried to collect my money and he said he did not know we were playing for money :shocking: I of course said, "what are you a FOCKING IDIOT???" In order to get some people to pay i printed out a copy of the final score which showed me the champion and photo copied it and wrote the FEE in big letters and put it in everyones mail box until i got paid :thumbsup: The idiot who claimed he didnt know never paid and of course i kicked him out

So after that year i said enough of this BS and took over the league as commish and now all my fantasy leagues we pay up front unless someone asks me if they can pay later.

So bottom line is make people pay up front and if they do not pay for this year either kick them out and take over or just dont play in the league. :overhead:

as long as u get your $$$ back your ok. and everytime one of those non payees bring up $ - just remind them of their poor display of ethics and continue to rind them at least once a week.

Getting my $ back isn't enough. If I let it go there, that means that if I had a losing team I'd be out my $ to a team on a free-roll...but if I won, I would never collect. No way I can let that float...

Reminding them isn't enough...I need to make their unwillingness to pay more "public"...

Getting my $ back isn't enough. If I let it go there, that means that if I had a losing team I'd be out my $ to a team on a free-roll...but if I won, I would never collect. No way I can let that float...

Reminding them isn't enough...I need to make their unwillingness to pay more "public"...

Yes call them out in front of everyone and embarrass the hell out of them. That did work for me also :thumbsup:

This may not even be that tricky cause it's only 50 beans each. If it were, say, $300.. you'd have a major task to deal with.

Just have the commish send a polite, league-wide email (or just to the scufflaw owners), reminding them of their payments. Mention that it's an uncomfortable issue.. but that you're sure those owners just forgot.

And don't sh*t where you eat homey.. what were you thinking?

:thumbsup:

It is hard to work with or for people you don't respect.

This may not even be that tricky cause it's only 50 beans each. If it were, say, $300.. you'd have a major task to deal with.

Just have the commish send a polite, league-wide email (or just to the scufflaw owners), reminding them of their payments. Mention that it's an uncomfortable issue.. but that you're sure those owners just forgot.

And don't sh*t where you eat homey.. what were you thinking?

:thumbsdown:

Commish doesn't have the motivation to collect, because he isn't in the $. It's no big deal to him...it's pretty clear that he wasn't willing to enforce collections unless it was him collecting his own winnings at the end of the year. The problem is really the commish...

Look, I agree it wouldn't be smart to make a major blow-up about it, and I'm not going to. But I can't let it slide without making some effort to call out both the commish and the deadbeats. How can you take someone seriously if they don't have the balls to call you out when you're acting unethically? In life, you have to hold those around you to the same standards as you hold for yourself...

Commish doesn't have the motivation to collect, because he isn't in the $. It's no big deal to him...it's pretty clear that he wasn't willing to enforce collections unless it was him collecting his own winnings at the end of the year. The problem is really the commish...

Look, I agree it wouldn't be smart to make a major blow-up about it, and I'm not going to. But I can't let it slide without making some effort to call out both the commish and the deadbeats. How can you take someone seriously if they don't have the balls to call you out when you're acting unethically? In life, you have to hold those around you to the same standards as you hold for yourself...

I would collect the money myself (It is now your money). I would send one polite email and see what happens but I would not push it.

By the way, your Commish is a weasel; I hope he is just a worker bee.

Edit: I am betting the CFO didn't pay.

That really sucks man.. I wish you the best of luck with the whole thing. Maybe you can at least get them to take you out to a few nice lunches & you can conveniently leave your wallet in the car. :thumbsup:

That really sucks man.. I wish you the best of luck with the whole thing. Maybe you can at least get them to take you out to a few nice lunches & you can conveniently leave your wallet in the car. :doh:

First, never get involved again with a dirt bag in any league in the future.

Second, just take what is due to you w/o splitting unless you already committed; it just isn't worth looking like a crybaby considering the level of management playing in this league.

Third, only get involved with money leagues at work after everyone has had a taste of what they are doing.

suck it up, learn from it, don't lose your job over it.