Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**NCAA Basketball Bubble Talk- 3/14**

and do they really send syracuse home for their regional. Is that even fair?

I guess Houston isn't that far for kentucky or even kansas. Hey, it's not as bad as heading to LA as the 2 seed to face UCLA :|

The ACC has no business getting 7 teams in. 6 at best with 5 being more realistic.

ACC (7): Duke, Maryland, Clemson, Florida St, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech , and Clemson should all be worried considering the down year the ACC has had.

7 is just a ridiculous number. Hell, I think Duke and Maryland are the only 2 teams in the ACC with a top 30 RPI rqanking.

i guess syracuse cant go to the east. so ku to midwest, kentucky east, syracuse south and the 4th out west?

The ACC has no business getting 7 teams in. 6 at best with 5 being more realistic.

Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech , and Clemson should all be worried considering the down year the ACC has had.

7 is just a ridiculous number. Hell, I think Duke and Maryland are the only 2 teams in the ACC with a top 30 RPI rqanking.

Those teams have solid RPI's compared to the other at-large teams. Even in a down year, the ACC is just that deep when you compare them with the other conferences.

Those teams have solid RPI's compared to the other at-large teams. Even in a down year, the ACC is just that deep when you compare them with the other conferences.

2 teams in the top 30 RPI. Deep wouldnt be the word I would use.

Extremely average would make a little more sense.

2 teams in the top 30 RPI. Deep wouldnt be the word I would use.

Extremely average would make a little more sense.

They have 5 teams in the top 36 RPI. Deep means that, top to bottom, that there are quite a few teams that should be in the tournament of the top 64 teams.

They have 5 teams in the top 36 RPI. Deep means that, top to bottom, that there are quite a few teams that should be in the tournament of the top 64 teams.

That's probably why I said they deserve to have 5 teams in...

:thumbsup:

Minny may have played themselves in with the win today. Hope they win tomorrow so they are not sweating it out...

I just had to work during the biggest clusterf*ck of a day in recent memory. Putting together a quick breakdown right now but it looks like one bid is left for 8 teams.

Teams in bold have earned automatic bids.

Single bid conferences (21): America East (Vermont), Atlantic Sun (East Tennessee St), Big Sky (Montana), Big South (Winthrop), Big West (UC-Santa Barbara), Colonial (Old Dominion), Horizon (Butler), Ivy (Cornell), MAAC (Siena), Mid American (Ohio), MEAC (Morgan St), MVC (Northern Iowa), Northeast (Robert Morris), Ohio Valley (Murray St), Patriot (Lehigh), Southern (Wofford), Southland (Sam Houston St), Summit (Oakland), Sun Belt (North Texas), SWAC (Ark-Pine Bluff), WAC (New Mexico St)

Teams that are 'in' (40):

A-10 (3): Temple, Richmond, Xavier

ACC (6): Duke, Maryland, Clemson, Florida St, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech

Big East (7): Syracuse, Villanova, West Virginia, Georgetown, Pitt, Marquette, Notre Dame

Big Ten (4): Purdue, Ohio St, Michigan St, Wisconsin

Big 12 (7): Kansas, Kansas St, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Missouri, Oklahoma St

C-USA (2): UTEP, Houston

Mountain West (4): BYU, New Mexico, UNLV, San Diego St

Pac-10 (2): California, Washington

SEC (3): Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee

WCC (2): Gonzaga, Saint Mary's

Remaining available bids: 4

Bubble (11): Louisville, Utah St, Virginia Tech, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, Miss St, Ole Miss, Arizona St, Seton Hall, Rhode Island

Oddly enough, for the absolute chaos in the big conferences, the smaller conferences were chalk city. Conference tournament winners by seed:

1 seed - 12

2 seed - 4

3 seed - 1

4 seed - 1

5 seed - 1

7 seed - 1

if you can go winless but still make the big dance with 4 straight wins in the conference tourney..why play your starters in feb if youre middle of the pack and cant win your conference?

rest up....

ncca hoops has the longest preseason of any sport...6 months...

Minny may have played themselves in with the win today. Hope they win tomorrow so they are not sweating it out...

Agreed. I thought Minnesota should have been in before today. They have to be in, now.

Hey guys...had a crazy week and now I'm in Colorado. I will update my original post to give my thoughts on who the 65 teams should be...

That's probably why I said they deserve to have 5 teams in...

:thumbsdown:

Except that the tournament is now 65 teams. Since they have 7 teams in the top 56 of the RPI rankings, that is probably why you are looking at as many as 7 ACC teams in the tournament.

Va. Tech would be a no brainer if their SOS was not so crappy. However, they were 10-7 in the ACC this season, which might mean more than their 23-8 record.

Washington's win secures two teams (Cal) from the PAC-10, virtually guarantees Arizona State is the odd man out. :kicksrock:

I have Virginia Tech as my last team in. That non-conference SOS means they can be dropped easily by the committee, but I can't really find another team with a better resume (mainly because Illinois has too many bad losses). Needless to say, they should be cheering for Kentucky reeeaaal hard right now.

Except that the tournament is now 65 teams. Since they have 7 teams in the top 56 of the RPI rankings, that is probably why you are looking at as many as 7 ACC teams in the tournament.

Va. Tech would be a no brainer if their SOS was not so crappy. However, they were 10-7 in the ACC this season, which might mean more than their 23-8 record.

There is only 34 at-large bids, bringing up the fact that there are 65 teams is really pretty irrelevant.

Going 10-7 in a down year in the ACC with their weak SOS says all I need to know about Va. Tech.

There is only 34 at-large bids, bringing up the fact that there are 65 teams is really pretty irrelevant.

Going 10-7 in a down year in the ACC with their weak SOS says all I need to know about Va. Tech.

It is interesting to compare VaTech's profile this year with profiles from last year. Actually, their profile is VERY close to Penn St's profile last year (of course Penn St missed the cut). They really have an awful resume...10-7 in ACC play with no non-conference whatsoever, and only one road/neutral win vs a tournament team (at Georgia Tech). They are only 3-4 vs tournament teams this year (by comparison, Minnesota is 7-6, Illinois is 6-9, Miss St is 3-5).

ETA: Also, VT played the weakest ACC schedule of any team in the conference, drawing the other 6 tournament teams only once each.

OK. So, who do you thing should be in?

There are 34 at-large bids, but many of the automatic bids are taken by teams that are 34 or higher in the RPI. Do you just want to go off of RPI? Record? SOS?

The committee looks at all of those factors and given the number of bubble teams that are out there, it is definitely possible that the ACC will get 7 teams even in a down year. Even if you don't want Va. Tech in, that still leaves 6 ACC teams in.

OK. So, who do you thing should be in?

There are 34 at-large bids, but many of the automatic bids are taken by teams that are 34 or higher in the RPI. Do you just want to go off of RPI? Record? SOS?

The committee looks at all of those factors and given the number of bubble teams that are out there, it is definitely possible that the ACC will get 7 teams even in a down year. Even if you don't want Va. Tech in, that still leaves 6 ACC teams in.

I'll say what I obviously said from the beginning, the ACC in a down year does not deserve to have 7 teams in. It's really very simple. Ga Tech couldn't even go .500 in the ACC..

MISSISSIPPI STATE :bandana:

SEC Championship Game (AGAIN)

:cheers:

MOTHERFOCKER 1/10 of a second away

Kentucky was so focking lucky

FOCK

I'll say what I obviously said from the beginning, the ACC in a down year does not deserve to have 7 teams in. It's really very simple. Ga Tech couldn't even go .500 in the ACC..

So you think that Ga Tech does not deserve to be in? :bandana:

I can see keeping Va. Tech out, but not GT.

The ACC definitely deserves 6 teams (Duke, Maryland, GT, Wake, Clemson, FSU). Va Tech as the 7th is definitely on the bubble biting their nails tonight.

So you think that Ga Tech does not deserve to be in? :bandana:

7-9 in the ACC with a complete and utter garbage out of conference schedule. :cheers:

Mediocrity at its finest.

7-9 in the ACC with a complete and utter garbage out of conference schedule. :bandana:

Mediocrity at its finest.

Oh, I get it. You don't realize that Georgia Tech (RPI: 33, SOS: 17 , 7-9 regular season ACC record) and Virginia Tech (RPI: 59, SOS 133, 10-7 regular season ACC record) are two different schools.

GT ended up with a 10-10 record against the ACC (if you include the tournament) and they played a top 20 schedule. With 21 wins, they are in without a doubt.

Oh, I get it. You don't realize that Georgia Tech (RPI: 33, SOS: 17 , 7-9 regular season ACC record) and Virginia Tech (RPI: 59, SOS 133, 10-7 regular season ACC record) are two different schools.

GT ended up with a 10-10 record against the ACC (if you include the tournament) and they played a top 20 schedule. With 21 wins, they are in without a doubt.

I don't have any misconceptions about Ga Tech making the tourney, I know they are going to. I'm just giving reasons why I don't think they should be some mortal lock.

I guess if they got to play UNC and NC St. a few more times they would have had an outstanding ACC record.

:bandana:

Great to see 8 mid-major at large bids. I've been VERY critical of the committee in the past for protecting the "power" conferences. Nice to see twice as many deserving little guys as last year.

Temple (5) and Cornell (12) should be a great game, but both got under seeded.

Temple stuck with a 5, A-10 being disrespected there.

Tennessee a 6? San Diego St 11? Against each other??

FLORIDA? The Gators go 1-8 vs the top 25 and that is worth a 10 seed. Just wow.

Kansas and Kentucky, the 1 and 2 overall, get the toughest regions. No logic there.

They move Syracuse out west in favor of Duke because 'Syracuse finished poorly' (after they say no more last 10/last 12). But THEN, they give Villanova a 2 after a 5-5 finish.

Conference tournaments had varying weight. Marquette and Notre Dame win a couple in the Big East tournament and jump 5 spots to 6 seeds. San Diego St beats a top 10 New Mexico and UNLV, gets an 11. Temple wins the A-10 regular season AND tournament...5 seed.

The committee always consistent in it's inconsistency.

Even though I'm happy to see more mid-majors, my bet is it's an aberration. Simply the absence of a number of lock teams: UNC, Indiana, UConn, UCLA, Arizona. Left room for the middies.

When the big boys right their ship, the little guys will go back to the NIT.

Oh, except for the 1200 team field that the new TV contract will demand.

Looks like I tied Lunardi at 64 again, lost to Palm and his 65. I did, however, beat Palm and all but one 'expert' in the NCAA bracket contest (1 pt for correct team, 2 pts for correct seed, 3 pts for correct seed and region).

Looks like I tied Lunardi at 64 again, lost to Palm and his 65. I did, however, beat Palm and all but one 'expert' in the NCAA bracket contest (1 pt for correct team, 2 pts for correct seed, 3 pts for correct seed and region).

You guys do a good job. I'm glad you're into it; I lack the patience. :doublethumbsup:

You guys do a good job. I'm glad you're into it; I lack the patience. :doublethumbsup:

:lol:

Kansas and Kentucky, the 1 and 2 overall, get the toughest regions. No logic there.

yeah no sh!t. I keep looking for the team to beat Duke or Syracuse, but not many stand out as the team to do it

I just noticed that Texas has 7 teams in this thing!

Texas

Baylor

UTEP

Sam Houston

North Texas

Houston

Texas A&M

2 or our territories did well too. Kansas placed two and New Mexico placed two. :rolleyes:

I just noticed that Texas has 7 teams in this thing!

Texas

Baylor

UTEP

Sam Houston

North Texas

Houston

Texas A&M

2 or our territories did well too. Kansas placed two and New Mexico placed two. :lol:

If UT can dig themselves out of their funk, or Barnes can start really coaching, they have the talent. Baylor is also a deep tournament threat, despite their dbag coach. But this is a bracket I can get behind.

Cougar Madness

FLORIDA? The Gators go 1-8 vs the top 25 and that is worth a 10 seed. Just wow.

Gator fans travel.

HOW BOUT THEM GATORS!?!?!?!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Curious, and I am a bit lazy. Did any team other than Georgia Tech go under .500 in their conference and get a at large bid?

At large bid being the key here..