Sign in to follow this  
Jarvis Basnight

LT visiting Vikings today....

I didn't see this mentioned much on the board.

LT Visit

I personally think this would be a good signing and would motivate Favre to come back.

Signing an old RB is going to bring Favre back?

They would have been better off with Taylor...and IMO Westbrook would be a better fit.

What does LT do that Taylor did not?

Blocking?

At this point he is slower and not as involved in the pass game as Taylor was.

Goalline? His ratio of carries to TDs were not all that good last year. ADP is damn good at the goalline.

Just can't see much in this signing if it happens.

He sulks a lot and complains...bordering on tears.

I think LT has lost a step. I'd much rather have chester taylor than LT right now and is LT going to be satisfied with taking 4 snaps? Id rather sign the other soon to be former charger sproles

Signing an old RB is going to bring Favre back?

They would have been better off with Taylor...and IMO Westbrook would be a better fit.

Blocking?

At this point he is slower and not as involved in the pass game as Taylor was.

Goalline? His ratio of carries to TDs were not all that good last year. ADP is damn good at the goalline.

Just can't see much in this signing if it happens.

Do NFL veterans look at it that way? I don't think so. I believe Favre would think he's doubly blessed to have LT and ADP in the backfield. I doubt he looks at LT the same way the media and fantasy football fans do. He sees a guy that has a ton of talent and has been one of the best RB's in the league for years.

Westbrook may be a better fit, but he's not physically fit for any team to gamble millions on IMO.

I think LT has lost a step. I'd much rather have chester taylor than LT right now and is LT going to be satisfied with taking 4 snaps? Id rather sign the other soon to be former charger sproles

It doesn't really matter what you think.....and Taylor is gone now. It depends on what they would need to pay LT but I think he wants a ring, and him and the Ol Gunslinger could shoot for one together.

Maybe LT could excel with 8-10 touches per game in that offensive system.

Taylor seems seemed better suited for the job vs LT. Does LT have any juice left on a draw play to gain 7 yards? Only 3 rushes last year over 20 yard :unsure: . I just don't see him contributing anything at all. Westy is one more knock on the helmet away from never playing again. Talk about a high risk signing there also. Who is next on the depth chart for Minny?

Taylor seems seemed better suited for the job vs LT. Does LT have any juice left on a draw play to gain 7 yards? Only 3 rushes last year over 20 yard :unsure: . I just don't see him contributing anything at all.

And the much younger, fresher-legged, more explosive Sproles averaged 3.7 ypc last year and had 2, count em, 2 carries over 20 yards......they were both 21 yarders.

SD's run blocking sux.

I think LT has just lost a tiny bit of speed and in the nfl that is enough to turn a great back into an average back. Vikes are probably just looking for someone to fill in chester tayolr's role. I don't think LT is as good as Taylor at this stage of his career but its not a bad idea.

I think LT has just lost a tiny bit of speed and in the nfl that is enough to turn a great back into an average back. Vikes are probably just looking for someone to fill in chester tayolr's role. I don't think LT is as good as Taylor at this stage of his career but its not a bad idea.

That's another thing.......why's everyone high on Chester Taylor? He averaged 3.6 ypc this year with only 1 carry over 20 yards. Where are his stats that are so much better than LT's?

Personally, I'd rather have Westy than LT. He seems to have more left in the tank, and is better acquainted with Chilly's 'kick ass offense'. But he's also more of a risk. Signing LT wouldn't be all that bad IF they can get him relatively cheap. We'll see just how much LT wants to win a championship versus getting paid. Losing Taylor....the player was a blow....he was good. But not having to dish out the money Chicago spent on a 30 year old back is a good thing.....so with LT, it's more economics than Xs and Os.

Also, don't discount the fact that the fanbase here has a hardon for LT....and the Wilfs are cognizant of this I'm sure. This Vikings are still trying to get a stadium deal done....and the more excitement/buzz they have going for them, the more public support they'll get for funding a stadium. LT is pretty much done in my opinion. But as another character to go along with Favre, AD, Allen, Harvin, Rice, The Williamses......priceless. Remember, this is a town that has a small market baseball team with only one true star (Mauer)....a worthless NBA franchise.....unsuccesful college programs. The Vikings are the only team with any sort of star appeal.

Plus, I don't see them drafting a RB and giving him solid minutes every week....something they could do with LT. But if they stand pat...do nothing...you'd be looking at Albert Young, who looked alright last preseason, and Ian Johnson from Boise St.....who also showed some flashes....against third teamers. I don't think either back is ready to step up this year though.

That's another thing.......why's everyone high on Chester Taylor? He averaged 3.6 ypc this year with only 1 carry over 20 yards. Where are his stats that are so much better than LT's?

He did catch 44 balls for 400 yards....so his production isn't just limited to carries. His numbers...as well as AD's point to the suckiness of the O-line. They didn't get any push at all last year....and if that doesn't change, signing LT will be a disaster. But just watching Chester vs. LT, Taylor looked like the better back.

:mellow:

Remember, this is a town that has a small market baseball team with only one true star (Mauer)....a worthless NBA franchise.....unsuccesful college programs. The Vikings are the only team with any sort of star appeal.

Wow! I can't believe you'd diss the St. Paul Saints like this! :mellow:

And the much younger, fresher-legged, more explosive Sproles averaged 3.7 ypc last year and had 2, count em, 2 carries over 20 yards......they were both 21 yarders.

SD's run blocking sux.

This is a pretty useless comparison.

3.7 ypc is pretty awful, but it's nearly 1/2 yard more than LT averaged all season. Sproles had 2 carries over 20 yards in 90 attempts, and another in the playoffs in just 3 attempts. He also caught 45 passes for 500 yards, showing tremendous quickness and explosiveness, averaging 11 ypc and scoring 4 TD's.

Tomlinson, meanwhile, had a mere 3 carries of 20+ yards 223 attempts (235 including the postseason). He also only had 20 catches, 150 yards, and a mere 7.7 ypc and no TD's. Just look at their playoff loss to the Jets: LT had a combined 15 touches, for 24 yards. Sproles? 6 touches, 53 yards.

I'm not saying Sproles is a top-notch RB, and I agree that SD's run blocking is a huge problem (much like the Colts). But as a Colts fan, I've seen Sproles literally win the Chargers a playoff game against us a few years ago. He has the explosiveness, big-play capability. He's quicker, faster, and more versatile than LT at this point in their careers. Sproles isn't an every down back...but pair him with a Lendale White, and I think he'd be a phenomenal 10-15 touch RB. Can't say nearly the same about LT at this point in his career.

You want to give up a 1st and 3rd for Sproles?

Do NFL veterans look at it that way? I don't think so. I believe Favre would think he's doubly blessed to have LT and ADP in the backfield. I doubt he looks at LT the same way the media and fantasy football fans do. He sees a guy that has a ton of talent and has been one of the best RB's in the league for years.

Westbrook may be a better fit, but he's not physically fit for any team to gamble millions on IMO.

I think Favre is smart enough to look at RBs after age 30...see how LT's numbers have declined...and not get all that excited about it.

Personally, I'd rather have Westy than LT. He seems to have more left in the tank, and is better acquainted with Chilly's 'kick ass offense'. But he's also more of a risk. Signing LT wouldn't be all that bad IF they can get him relatively cheap. We'll see just how much LT wants to win a championship versus getting paid. Losing Taylor....the player was a blow....he was good. But not having to dish out the money Chicago spent on a 30 year old back is a good thing.....so with LT, it's more economics than Xs and Os.

Also, don't discount the fact that the fanbase here has a hardon for LT....and the Wilfs are cognizant of this I'm sure. This Vikings are still trying to get a stadium deal done....and the more excitement/buzz they have going for them, the more public support they'll get for funding a stadium. LT is pretty much done in my opinion. But as another character to go along with Favre, AD, Allen, Harvin, Rice, The Williamses......priceless. Remember, this is a town that has a small market baseball team with only one true star (Mauer)....a worthless NBA franchise.....unsuccesful college programs. The Vikings are the only team with any sort of star appeal.

Plus, I don't see them drafting a RB and giving him solid minutes every week....something they could do with LT. But if they stand pat...do nothing...you'd be looking at Albert Young, who looked alright last preseason, and Ian Johnson from Boise St.....who also showed some flashes....against third teamers. I don't think either back is ready to step up this year though.

The problem with your stadium comment...is fans can be a buzz all they want, but your legislature is not giving up public funds by signing guys that are only going to be around a year or 2. Its why the Favre signing had little to no effect on public money becoming available.

I still think Johnson could be a player. He was so good out of the backfield and has good enough speed.

And Im with you on Westy...he is a risk...but if you keep his head from getting knocked too bad...he has more wheels left than LT.

This is a pretty useless comparison.

3.7 ypc is pretty awful, but it's nearly 1/2 yard more than LT averaged all season. Sproles had 2 carries over 20 yards in 90 attempts, and another in the playoffs in just 3 attempts. He also caught 45 passes for 500 yards, showing tremendous quickness and explosiveness, averaging 11 ypc and scoring 4 TD's.

Tomlinson, meanwhile, had a mere 3 carries of 20+ yards 223 attempts (235 including the postseason). He also only had 20 catches, 150 yards, and a mere 7.7 ypc and no TD's. Just look at their playoff loss to the Jets: LT had a combined 15 touches, for 24 yards. Sproles? 6 touches, 53 yards.

I'm not saying Sproles is a top-notch RB, and I agree that SD's run blocking is a huge problem (much like the Colts). But as a Colts fan, I've seen Sproles literally win the Chargers a playoff game against us a few years ago. He has the explosiveness, big-play capability. He's quicker, faster, and more versatile than LT at this point in their careers. Sproles isn't an every down back...but pair him with a Lendale White, and I think he'd be a phenomenal 10-15 touch RB. Can't say nearly the same about LT at this point in his career.

The comparison may actually look worse for Sproles than you think. Consider that LT was the workhorse in there on 1st and 2nd downs, traditionally the running downs. And Sproles is running on passing downs. The opposing defense probably had defenses geared toward the pass when Sproles was chugging out his 3.7 per carry.

Do we know if LT could be a solid back as a backup with 5-10 touches per game? No we don't........yet.

I think Favre is smart enough to look at RBs after age 30...see how LT's numbers have declined...and not get all that excited about it.

So would Favre have liked bringing in Westbrook? Thomas Jones? Or keeping Chester Taylor?

Again, veteran football players think much differently than the media, the organizations writing the checks, or guys who play ff. From what I've read, the Jets players were not happy at all to see Thomas Jones go.....but he's going to be 32 and signed for a pittance contract with KC.

The comparison may actually look worse for Sproles than you think. Consider that LT was the workhorse in there on 1st and 2nd downs, traditionally the running downs. And Sproles is running on passing downs. The opposing defense probably had defenses geared toward the pass when Sproles was chugging out his 3.7 per carry.

Do we know if LT could be a solid back as a backup with 5-10 touches per game? No we don't........yet.

I understand your logic, but it also makes Sproles/LT's receiving stats that much MORE impressive. Sproles caught most of his passes against DEF's trying to defend the pass, where LT caught his on Playaction, early down dump-offs, etc.

As far as LT being a successful, part-time back...I just don't buy it. It's not like he was good for a certain amount of carries early in the game, or in the season, and just wore down. He was downright awful in just about every stage of the game/season. As someone pointed out, he wasn't even his usual self around the goalline. I just think age has caught up to him. He no longer has the lateral quicks, the speed, the elusiveness, the burst that made him one of the best RB's of all time. I watched a decent amount of SD's games, and not once did I see him play like the LT of old. In fact, he didn't look like he had the talent to be deserving of the touches he got. I'm sure there were a lot of SD fans wishing for Sproles to see more action over LT.

Again, as a Colts fan, I was rooting for LT to stay healthy in case the 2 teams met in the playoffs. LT wouldn't have done sh!t against us, but I KNEW Sproles woulda tore us apart.

So would Favre have liked bringing in Westbrook? Thomas Jones? Or keeping Chester Taylor?

Again, veteran football players think much differently than the media, the organizations writing the checks, or guys who play ff. From what I've read, the Jets players were not happy at all to see Thomas Jones go.....but he's going to be 32 and signed for a pittance contract with KC.

Thomas Jones was also coming off of one of his best (if not the best) seasons of his career.

Fare different from Tomlinson coming off of a pretty sub standard season.

The problem with your stadium comment...is fans can be a buzz all they want, but your legislature is not giving up public funds by signing guys that are only going to be around a year or 2. Its why the Favre signing had little to no effect on public money becoming available.

I still think Johnson could be a player. He was so good out of the backfield and has good enough speed.

And Im with you on Westy...he is a risk...but if you keep his head from getting knocked too bad...he has more wheels left than LT.

Yeah, public funding probably isn't gonna happen. But more public support means putting more pressure on the legislature to get something done....Racino....Vikings Lottery Game.....do something rather than taxes. There's been talk about this the past few months, and there does seem to be a sense of urgency by the state to find some way to get the thing built. Part of that is the lease expiring at the Metrodome...that's obviously most of it, but part of it is this is a Vikings town (Vikings and Twins). People just seem to become more passionate about the issue when the Vikes are winning/are exciting to watch.

LT had a lower YPC than Taylor last season, but that does not tell the full story. LT got his work on first and second downs when more teams were trying to stop the run, where as taylor got quite a bit of work in 3rd down situations. Plus add the fact that the vikings have a better run blocking line, i would expect to see LT's ypc go up quite a bit in the 3rd down role in minnasota.

LT did not have as many catches as taylor this last season, but again, that had more to do with the roles of each of the runningbacks. LT was pulled on passing situations, if he was left in there i would expect him to do just as good, if not better as a receiver out of the backfield.

I am in the minority, but i believe that LT would be better next year for the vikings, than taylor was this year, and that signing him would be an upgrade to the RB core.

Thomas Jones was also coming off of one of his best (if not the best) seasons of his career.

Fare different from Tomlinson coming off of a pretty sub standard season.

So then why did TJ just sign with the Chiefs for $5 million on a 2 year deal? That would tell me he has very little value to the NFL, especially to the Jets who could've easily matched that price. Yet the players in the locker room wanted TJ back pretty bad.

So then why did TJ just sign with the Chiefs for $5 million on a 2 year deal? That would tell me he has very little value to the NFL, especially to the Jets who could've easily matched that price. Yet the players in the locker room wanted TJ back pretty bad.

Because he is getting up there in years and carries and the NFL knows this...just like that know it about LT as well.

Because he is getting up there in years and carries and the NFL knows this...just like that know it about LT as well.

I find it quite hard to believe you would react the same way if your team had signed Tomlinson or Westbrook or Jones or another veteran with a year or two left to complement your hot dumpster of a running attack.

If they sign him, obviously it doesn't completely change the landscape of the team. But I compare it to the Twins bringing in Thome this year. Just having dude there in the clubhouse to play cards is worth the 1.5 million they are giving him. I look at Tomlinson the same way. Peterson obviously ended the season in a rough way. You bring in a Hall of Famer who does not put the ball on the ground and happens to be a Texas guy as well and certainly can help Peterson positively with his experience. I don't understand at all how this particular guy in this circumstance is a bad signing at all.

I find it quite hard to believe you would react the same way if your team had signed Tomlinson or Westbrook or Jones or another veteran with a year or two left to complement your hot dumpster of a running attack.

You are ignorant if you are a vikings fan that is ripping on the packers running game

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?off...mp;d-447263-n=1

Favre is coming back regardless of if tomlinson signs in minny....

but to say he wont help the vikes is quite silly....he hangs on to the ball and the vikes O-line is solid.....

the division is already half locked..its completely sealed up when favre announces for sure and tomlinson signs..the nfc north begins a 3 team race to try and grab a wild card spot..

..nows the time to get on the vegas odds..they wont be any better than they are right this moment...

favre doesnt need tomlinson to average 113 yards per game..those days are gone.....

but what the vikes DO need is a guy who can hang on to the ball....and thats tomlinson

peterson fumbled 7 times last year alone...a lot at crucial times....

you have to tally up tomlinson last FIVE years to get him with 8 fumbles...1517 carries....

you need to pray that he signs somewhere else...its a no-brainer for the vikes...

If they sign him, obviously it doesn't completely change the landscape of the team. But I compare it to the Twins bringing in Thome this year. Just having dude there in the clubhouse to play cards is worth the 1.5 million they are giving him. I look at Tomlinson the same way. Peterson obviously ended the season in a rough way. You bring in a Hall of Famer who does not put the ball on the ground and happens to be a Texas guy as well and certainly can help Peterson positively with his experience. I don't understand at all how this particular guy in this circumstance is a bad signing at all.

Well...its been brought up in other places about them going after both of them and I said the same thing.

I don't think he brings anything to the table for the Packers.

Westbrook maybe...Jones, I don't have a problem with...still running well.

And I have said I think it would have been a better fit for Westbrook in Minny (though a risk with his concussions).

Our hot dumpster of a running attack? You mean the hot dumpster that had Grant averaging the same yards per carry as ADP? The running attack that as a team had a higher yards per carry than the Vikings and was all of 2 yards per game less than Minnesota? The one that had one more rushing TD than the Vikings did? That one?

The point is...LT brings nothing to the table that Taylor did not...and Taylor at this point is the better player. So excuse me if Im not impressed by signing a RB that you probably said was done last year...but now are changing your tune since the Vikings are interested.

And LT being a TExas guy means what? Hah!!!

Im not calling it a bad signing. Just not thinking it really does much for the team.

Favre is coming back regardless of if tomlinson signs in minny....

but to say he wont help the vikes is quite silly....he hangs on to the ball and the vikes O-line is solid.....

the division is already half locked..its completely sealed up when favre announces for sure and tomlinson signs..the nfc north begins a 3 team race to try and grab a wild card spot..

..nows the time to get on the vegas odds..they wont be any better than they are right this moment...

A. It will help them now since they have nothing behind LT. But IMO its a downgrade from Taylor.

B. The division is not locked or half locked...sorry, your dislike of Ted Thompson and your fake Packer fan is showing through.

favre doesnt need tomlinson to average 113 yards per game..those days are gone.....

but what the vikes DO need is a guy who can hang on to the ball....and thats tomlinson

peterson fumbled 7 times last year alone...a lot at crucial times....

you have to tally up tomlinson last FIVE years to get him with 8 fumbles...1517 carries....

you need to pray that he signs somewhere else...its a no-brainer for the vikes...

You think Tomlinson is going to be in there enough to take care of Peterson's fumbles?

Why would I pray he signs somewhere else? I dont' think he has much left in the tank.

I was happy they lost Taylor...he would concern me far more for the Vikings than LT does.

I know this and I think you're missing my point. The NFL may know it, but players don't think that way.

Trying to stir the pot I see. Minny had a dream season last year with Favre where everything came together. Expecting a carbon copy year would be a mistake imo.

I know this and I think you're missing my point. The NFL may know it, but players don't think that way.

I think its a big difference in players wanting to keep their current guy like Jones...then going out and getting a veteran on his last legs.

I think most players are smart enough to know that a guy might not have much left.

Id bet most in the Vikings locker room would have rather just kept Chester Taylor.

I think its a big difference in players wanting to keep their current guy like Jones...then going out and getting a veteran on his last legs.

I think most players are smart enough to know that a guy might not have much left.

Id bet most in the Vikings locker room would have rather just kept Chester Taylor.

I don't think it would have been smart for the Vikings to have matched the Bears' offer for Taylor. It's dumb to have that much money locked up in RBs, so while I'd much rather have Taylor than most anyone else at RB, I'd have been pissed if the Vikings threw that much cash at a backup/committee RB. I think most players in the Vikings locker room would probably think the same way.

The Jets players wanted to keep Jones because he's a solid team guy, and in their eyes he deserved to be the #1 RB. He had earned the position while Greene had not.

Keeping Chester Taylor didn't happen, so they need another RB.

I honestly don't believe players think that way. They don't pay attention to age as much as the rest of us on the outside.

I don't think it would have been smart for the Vikings to have matched the Bears' offer for Taylor. It's dumb to have that much money locked up in RBs, so while I'd much rather have Taylor than most anyone else at RB, I'd have been pissed if the Vikings threw that much cash at a backup/committee RB. I think most players in the Vikings locker room would probably think the same way.

Again, I disagree. Most players seem to get the fact that you need more than 1 solid RB to succeed in the NFL nowadays. And why would players give a care if C Taylor had gotten that money from the Vikings? It's an uncapped year for one thing. And also, the players are basically in a fraternity that you and I will not understand. They don't look at a guy's contract and think, "whoa that's too much for our team's budget". They root for eachother to get as much as they can while they're still playing.

4 years 12.5 mil is throwing "that much cash" at a RB?

Do you think they are going to get out that much cheaper for LT?

And no, I don't think any player in the locker room would be upset at a 4 year 12.5 mil deal for Taylor.

4 years 12.5 mil is throwing "that much cash" at a RB?

Do you think they are going to get out that much cheaper for LT?

And no, I don't think any player in the locker room would be upset at a 4 year 12.5 mil deal for Taylor.

4 years, 12.5 million is the best deal any RB has gotten so far in FA. It may not be much, but so far it's the ceiling. And 7 million of that is due this year. I know it's an uncapped year....but the NFL is still a business, and for the most part, the Wilfs have shown the capacity to spend wisely. So while the Vikes locker room wouldn't be upset at Taylor re-signing with the team for 12.5 million, they're not exactly venting either because he left.....something you can't say in New York with Thomas Jones' departure.....that was a much bigger loss imo.

But yeah, I agree with you in that if LT signs a comparable deal to Taylor's, it'll have been a bad sequence for the Vikings. If the money is similar, the players are not....Taylor > LT right now.