Sign in to follow this  
Jarvis Basnight

LT visiting Vikings today....

4 years, 12.5 million is the best deal any RB has gotten so far in FA. It may not be much, but so far it's the ceiling. And 7 million of that is due this year. I know it's an uncapped year....but the NFL is still a business, and for the most part, the Wilfs have shown the capacity to spend wisely. So while the Vikes locker room wouldn't be upset at Taylor re-signing with the team for 12.5 million, they're not exactly venting either because he left.....something you can't say in New York with Thomas Jones' departure.....that was a much bigger loss imo.

But yeah, I agree with you in that if LT signs a comparable deal to Taylor's, it'll have been a bad sequence for the Vikings. If the money is similar, the players are not....Taylor > LT right now.

7 mil is not all that much these days for a guaranteed part of the deal.

And I agree the Jones one is rippling more in NY...granted, he was a starter coming off of his best year and worked his ass off for that team and seemed to fit well.

The Vikings know ADP is the man so its not going to cause too much of a stir when Taylor left.

I just don't think LT's number is going to be that much less than Taylor's.

7 mil is not all that much these days for a guaranteed part of the deal.

And I agree the Jones one is rippling more in NY...granted, he was a starter coming off of his best year and worked his ass off for that team and seemed to fit well.

The Vikings know ADP is the man so its not going to cause too much of a stir when Taylor left.

I just don't think LT's number is going to be that much less than Taylor's.

I definitely think they should have considered giving CT that money. Keeping a guy that knows the system and is familiar with the team is a good move, especially when your team is in "win now" mode.

If LT signs for about the same amount that Taylor did with Chicago, it will be a bad signing.

If LT signs for about the same amount that Taylor did with Chicago, it will be a bad signing.

Absolutely....and the Vikings will be stupid to even contemplate a similar deal for LT. But the market will dictate the deal....not LT's name and numbers. So his deal should be less than CT's and TJ's.....should.

The Vikings need to base their decision on a second running back on "what if" AP gets hurt for an extended number of games.

I personally think Westbrook has more left in the tank than LT, but Westbrook is definitely more of a risk.

The Vikings need to base their decision on a second running back on "what if" AP gets hurt for an extended number of games.

I personally think Westbrook has more left in the tank than LT, but Westbrook is definitely more of a risk.

LT VS WESTY

eh, um, yuck

It's such a deep RB pool this year in the draft, I would rather take my chances on a rookie than these two at this point.

Will LT play back up though is the real Q?

LT could be the starter if ADP keeps fumbling the ball away....nice job in the NFCC game letting your entire team down, fumbler.

Will LT play back up though is the real Q?

LT could be the starter if ADP keeps fumbling the ball away....nice job in the NFCC game letting your entire team down, fumbler.

How did Cutler do in the playoffs?

Thats right, he threw the ball to the other team too many times to get there.

LT VS WESTY

eh, um, yuck

It's such a deep RB pool this year in the draft, I would rather take my chances on a rookie than these two at this point.

Not so sure. This team can win now and if Favre comes back you need guys back there that know what they're doing. LT would take on a 3rd down roll meaning he'll need to recognize blitzes and find soft areas for dump offs to help his QB. I don't know if you want to run a rookie out there to take care of your 41 year old QB who is your meal ticket to the playoffs.

Not so sure. This team can win now and if Favre comes back you need guys back there that know what they're doing. LT would take on a 3rd down roll meaning he'll need to recognize blitzes and find soft areas for dump offs to help his QB. I don't know if you want to run a rookie out there to take care of your 41 year old QB who is your meal ticket to the playoffs.

you're probably right. Give me LT for that reason over Westy then

A good BINGO! Aside from how quickly LT has degraded as a true #1 RB he is, IMHO, the best blocking back in the last 20 or so years I've been playing FF, especially at picking up the blitz....and still has the skills to be an efficient 3rd down back either running or catching Favre's dumps.

catching Favre's dumps

That's gross. :thumbsup:

Well done.

I thought that job was set aside for Madden.......Gruden?........Jaws?..........insert name here?

Get a load of this. From Jud Zulgad's Twitter. He must be close enough to see what's going on based on his reports.

Tomlinson just left winter park holding a Vikings jersey as he got in limo. He shook hands with a team official. #stribvikes

1 minutes ago via txt

Jud's Twitter

Updating a previous item, free agent LaDainian Tomlinson left Vikings headquarters without a contract Thursday evening.

Tomlinson told SI.com's Jim Trotter that he had a positive meeting with the Vikings, but he will follow through on his visit to the Jets Friday, explaining that he hasn't been recruited since high school. Tomlinson was reportedly "wowed" by the Vikes, so the pressure is on Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum to match. Mar. 11 - 6:36 pm et

Source: Jim Trotter on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...L&hl=169704

It doesn't really matter what you think.....and Taylor is gone now.

maybe what i think may not matter but when everyones else seems to agree he's lost a step it makes a point. even you :cheers: yourself said that if the vikes sign LT to a similiar deal to what chester taylor got then the vikes got a bad deal. Taylor>LT right now on the vikes

You want to give up a 1st and 3rd for Sproles?

nobody is giving up a 1st and a 3rd for sproles...it was smart by the chargers to use it as leverage to sign him THEN trade him instead of just letting him sign with somebody ...

...as a charger fan it was sad to see LT go but it needed to be done, i wish him all the luck

to be honest, im hoping the Jets land him.

I would have ofcourse preferred the Jets keeping TJ so if LT costs too much then it would be a stupid move to cut TJ but pay LT the same money....

But I think LT could be useful for this team as a 3rd down blocker, dump off catcher and mentor to Shonn Greene.

Both the Vikes and Jets are playoff teams and maybe LT will condsider that in Minny he would be behind Peterson but in NY he would be behind a largely unproven 2nd year back. Maybe he will prefer the Jets for that reason, a better chance to possibly start. (Good for him, not the Jets)

maybe what i think may not matter but when everyones else seems to agree he's lost a step it makes a point. even you :pointstosky: yourself said that if the vikes sign LT to a similiar deal to what chester taylor got then the vikes got a bad deal. Taylor>LT right now on the vikes

I said that because C Taylor was already a Viking. Why would you pay for a RB coming in when you can pay the same amount to your own and keep him?

Charger Fan here....

Look LT could still be a reasonably acceptable 1st and 2nd down back in the league...maybe.

but stating that he can be a 3rd down back at this stage is just flat out stupid, yes he can pick up blocks, but that is it. His hands have gotten slow, his reactions slowed, he doesnt have the burst that good 3rd down backs need to be successful, and I have NEVER seen a RB get hit in the back of the head so many times going out on a route, cause he doesnt get to his spot or get his head turned around quick enough.

Really gonna be scared of a 3rd and 8 draw play to LT, knowing he cant outrun you, cant run thru you, and cant make you miss?

Charger Fan here....

Look LT could still be a reasonably acceptable 1st and 2nd down back in the league...maybe.

but stating that he can be a 3rd down back at this stage is just flat out stupid, yes he can pick up blocks, but that is it. His hands have gotten slow, his reactions slowed, he doesnt have the burst that good 3rd down backs need to be successful, and I have NEVER seen a RB get hit in the back of the head so many times going out on a route, cause he doesnt get to his spot or get his head turned around quick enough.

Really gonna be scared of a 3rd and 8 draw play to LT, knowing he cant outrun you, cant run thru you, and cant make you miss?

Personally I think you sound a bit like a jaded Charger fan. If what you say is correct, why are so many teams getting in line to visit with this guy? He obviously still has value, and Minny would be bringing him in for 3rd down work not 1st/2nd down work.

When Shaun Alexander lost it and was sent packing from Seattle, I don't remember this many teams showing interest.....a lot of that probably had to do with the fact that he was strictly a 1st/2nd down guy. LT has skills beyond that and I believe that's why teams are interested.

Charger Fan here....

is it just recently that he gets hit in the back of the head due to not getting to his spot or getitng his head turned quick enough?

because I feel like he may have averaged around 60 catches over 8 years with a 100 catch season thrown in there.

He is a far cry from the guy he was from 04-07 but I feel like he still has some value as a situational back and insurance policy especially considering the teams being mentioned have pretty good run blocking lines.

Personally I think you sound a bit like a jaded Charger fan. If what you say is correct, why are so many teams getting in line to visit with this guy? He obviously still has value, and Minny would be bringing him in for 3rd down work not 1st/2nd down work.

When Shaun Alexander lost it and was sent packing from Seattle, I don't remember this many teams showing interest.....a lot of that probably had to do with the fact that he was strictly a 1st/2nd down guy. LT has skills beyond that and I believe that's why teams are interested.

nope love the dude, my favorite player of all time. Just stating the facts. Alexander was never the complete back LT was, and some are hoping he can recapture the glory, but noone is lining up to offer him more then a backup role

is it just recently that he gets hit in the back of the head due to not getting to his spot or getitng his head turned quick enough?

because I feel like he may have averaged around 60 catches over 8 years with a 100 catch season thrown in there.

He is a far cry from the guy he was from 04-07 but I feel like he still has some value as a situational back and insurance policy especially considering the teams being mentioned have pretty good run blocking lines.

yes its just recently, at least 5 times last year he went out in the pattern, and balls either hit him in the back or he just didnt turn around quick enough. He also dropped quite a few passes, and was only used this last season on dumpoffs and screens so hardly tough plays to make catches. In the previous years, alot of his catches came on routes, and some down the field

This is why I said it may be motivation for Favre to come back.

Report: Favre was heavily involved in recruiting Tomlinson

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 15, 2010 2:29 PM ET

One of the factors in LaDainian Tomlinson's decision to sign with the New York Jets instead of the Minnesota Vikings was the uncertainty regarding the playing status of Vikings quarterback Brett Favre.

But according to Bob Glauber of Newsday, Favre himself attempted to assuage any doubts Tomlinson had.

Glauber reports, citing a source familiar with the Vikings' situation, that Favre was heavily involved in the recruitment process and spoke to Tomlinson by phone.

I'm not among the 35 online subscribers to Newsday, so I can't tell you what else Glauber's story says, but Glauber notes that if Favre is actively trying to recruit players for the Vikings' 2010 roster, that's a pretty big clue that Favre himself plans to be on the Vikings' 2010 roster.

Of course, even if that's what Favre plans right now, the chances are pretty good that he'll change his mind in the next few months. Probably several times.

Yes it's from PFT so take it with a grain of salt, but, it doesn't surprise me if Favre was lobbying for this to happen. I believe that NFL vets look at eachother differently than the rest of us. I'm guessing Favre sees LT as one of the all time great RB's and assumes he could have brought a lot to the table in Minnesota.