Sign in to follow this  
jocstrap

What would happen if lightning hit a stadium

I know the pressure is there to play the game, but what would be the consequences? Cloud to ground lightning is a serious threat. They keep talking about bolts of lightning occuring even to this point. We have a 15 minute policy at our public tennis facility if anything is close. I couldn't imagine the lawsuits that would occur if multiple people died in a lightning strike. NFL and the city would lose millions IMO.

then I'd probably find out who their backups are and blow my FAAB picking 'em up :overhead:

I was thinking more about the fans. But this was funny :clap:

Haul the bodies out and get the game started up again.

no mercy FlaHawker, now that's how you getrdun. The game must go on :pointstosky:

Nobody gives a rat's ass about Jet fans. Bunch of dirty new yorkers. <_<

go fins :banana:

Being New York, I don't really think anyone would notice the bodies or the smell.

The smell of frying meat might make Rex Ryan call time out to get some wings though.

Would anyone get sued if an earthquake hit? Or how about a hurricane? Of course not. It's deemed an act of God and nothing would happen unless there was blatant negligence, like no fire escapes or what not.

My league doesn't give points for lightning death. :thumbsdown:

in this hypothetical fantasy/nightmare scenario, could we make the location be lambeau and/or soldier field? :dunno:

in this hypothetical fantasy/nightmare scenario, could we make the location be lambeau and/or soldier field? :dunno:

It would be the Lions only chance to be relevant in the division again.

It would be another reason to make all stadiums domed or at least with a retractable roof. :headbanger:

Do stadiums not use lightning rods? Seems like such a thing would be standard.

I dunno about lightning rods, but those giant metal towers that hold the lights would serve the same purpose. And, most stadiums are made largely of concrete, which attracts/conducts electricity about as well as rock does. Which is to say, not much. Yeah, stadiums do have steel construction elements, so there's always a chance. But I'd think that the possibility of a lightning strike -- especially one that would kill multiple people -- would be highly unlikely. After all, a direct lightning strike doesn't even necessarily kill you. My brother-in-law's father is a contractor, and he's been hit directly by lightning twice while on the job. Other than spending some time laid up with some nasty burns, it didn't really affect him very much.

Nobody gives a rat's ass about Jet fans. Bunch of dirty new yorkers. <_<

go fins :banana:

Problem is some rats may be collateral damage.