Sign in to follow this  
kolp

Steelers LB Harrison Considering Retirement

Just heard this on the radio ESPN 1420. Can someone confirm?

Thanks, stationed in Afghanistan so information isn't always at my fingertips.

As Rosenthal pointed out earlier in the hour, the Steelers excused linebacker James Harrison from practice, a day after he was fined $75,000 for an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit on Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

Harrison supposedly is contemplating retirement. (Apparently, he'll make a decision after seeing whether he can find another job that will pay him several millions dollars per year.)

Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, tells Adam Schefter of ESPN that Harrison is "very serious" about quitting.

"We wouldn't joke about this," Parise said. "This is a very serious issue. James is very concerned about how to play football. If James is going to be fined $75,000 for making a legal tackle, then how do you go play football? It's quite frustrating to James, to coach [Mike] Tomlin, to me, to everybody."

OK, here's where Parise, a Rochester, Pennsylvania-based agent with only two clients currently under contract in the NFL, needs to earn his three percent of Harrison's contract. For starters, it wasn't a "legal hit," and Parise is doing his client no favors by parroting a statement that conflicts with reality. (Then again, we can't blame Parise. We've heard accounts from multiple league sources that Harrison is just as intimidating off the field as he is on the field.)

"We're working very hard to make sure that we make good decisions," Parise said. Schefter than asked if Harrison will return to the Steelers on Thursday or even at all this week, and Parise said, "I sure hope so."

He'd better hope so. If Harrison retires, Parise will be the one who has to explain to Harrison that he has to pay back more than $6 million to the Steelers, the remaining prorated portion of the $10 million signing bonus he received last year.

Basically, someone needs to tell Harrison to grow up, to quit crying, to count his blessings, and to get back to work before this protest of his pushes him beyond the point of no return. That's Parise's job. Based on the fact that he's publicly calling the hit on Massaquoi legal, Parise isn't doing his job very well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/20/agent-says-james-harrison-is-very-serious-about-retiring/

Maybe you do or you don't like the fine. Speak your mind if you want. Complain to the Players Association.

But quitting because of it? Taking your ball and going home? What a crybaby. :thumbsdown:

Mr. "I want to hurt people" wants no part of the kindler, gentler NFL

:thumbsup:

Nobody wants to see guys pulling up on tackles, but we also don't want to see guys break their necks! There's a huge difference between making a tough tackle and launching yourself headfirst at someone, like a missile. Anyone who plays the game "trying to hurt people" or watches the games "wanting to see people get hurt" has no place in the game. JMO.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said.

Apprarently, he can only be effective by dishing out helmet-to-helmet cheap shots :rolleyes:

:cry: :overhead: :cry:

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said.

Apprarently, he can only be effective by dishing out helmet-to-helmet cheap shots :rolleyes:

This was my first thought. The second was that Hines Ward must be ready to announce next.... :D

"Just when I think Harrison can't get any dumber, he goes and says something like this...any totally redeems himself!"

"Just when I think Harrison can't get any dumber, he goes and says something like this...any totally redeems himself!"

You can't triple stamp a double stamp! :overhead:

James Harrison is 32 years old. He did nothing even close to relevent in the NFL until he was 29 years old. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrJa23.htm. I'd like to know why he was nothing from college to age 29. Obviously he wasn't getting playing time, but why is that and what did he change or do differently/better to become a 3 time pro-bowler and one time first team All Pro. Anyone know?

James Harrison is 32 years old. He did nothing even close to relevent in the NFL until he was 29 years old. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrJa23.htm. I'd like to know why he was nothing from college to age 29. Obviously he wasn't getting playing time, but why is that and what did he change or do differently/better to become a 3 time pro-bowler and one time first team All Pro. Anyone know?

Basically because he was an idiot who is capable of pulling stuff like this. Read his wiki page, it gives you a pretty good timeline of his career... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harrison_(American_football)

This was my first thought. The second was that Hines Ward must be ready to announce next.... :D

Hines Ward is the dirtiest player in the NFL.

Maybe you do or you don't like the fine. Speak your mind if you want. Complain to the Players Association.

But quitting because of it? Taking your ball and going home? What a crybaby. :thumbsdown:

Agreed. I can understand his frustration, but this was NOT the correct reaction on his part. <_<

Hope he does. Much rather he end his career than someone elses. What a whiny biotch. :cry:

Mobb summed it up pretty well. And when I can agree with him...

Hope he does. Much rather he end his career than someone elses. What a whiny biotch. :cry:

Mobb summed it up pretty well. And when I can agree with him...

Haha, I'm sure we agree on a lot more things than you think. :cheers:

This is the same dumbazz who refused to go to the White House after winning the superbowl only to have his pit bull disfigure his child on the same day by mauling her. Why are you guys shocked at his action?

Haha, I'm sure we agree on a lot more things than you think. :cheers:

Yeah, but I like to pretend to love to hate you. Or something like that. :wub:

:cheers:

Waaaaaahhhhhhhh waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh somebody call me a Wammmmmmmbulance, I feel like I'm getting screwed even though I RAMMED my helmet into guys 3 focking times in one game...waaaaaaaahhhhh aren't I allowed to hurt someone and put them in a chair, just because I wanna?

Harrison you cheap shot artist stfu and play, and stop trying to mame other players.....while your at it tell that LOSER Merriwether to stop being a lil btch as well......."I just want this to all go away" Focking right you do Brandon you loser, you and Harrison need lessons in not trying to kill the opponent dead.......and those lessons cost 50K and 75K.

Good Luck finding other work over paying you like Football does boys!