Sign in to follow this  
tikigods

Week 17 Superbowls

League I play in, which I created back in 1988, still uses a week 17 superbowl.

Yes. It's ghey....so let's get that out of the way.

Anyone else in a Week 17 Superbowl? :banana:

Yes. We are still a paper league too, with no web presence. If you want to know who's available you have to call the commish and he reviews his notes for the year. :pointstosky:

:ninja:

Yeah, one of my leagues is a very old league and we still play the week 17 SB.

I'm playing for 3rd place this weekend.

we have a 2 week SB.

That sounds like hell. It drove me nuts that I had to wait from thrus to tues find out if I won.

That sounds like hell. It drove me nuts that I had to wait from thrus to tues find out if I won.

it is. i'm up 110-96, but mccoy and djax are both sitting...maybe.

:wall:

I'm going with the following line up for my Week 17 Superbowl:

QB: Phillip Rivers- could be playing for Norv's job. Soft Denver defense. Pissed about last week.

WR: Miles Austin- playing for pride

WR: Stevie Johnson- playing against a soft Jets secondary once Ryan starts sitting people.

RB: Ray Rice- still have things to play for

RB: Ryan Mathews- Tolbert on injured. Looked good last week. Denver's run defense blows goats.

TE: Dustin Keller- if Sanchize sits at all, he is a safety valve.

KR: Shayne Graham- Pats up big on Miami. Start kicking FGs by half time.

DS: Chicago- meh...we don't get hurt in my league by points allowed...only positive scoring w/ INT, fumble recoveries, etc.

I'm sitting:

Jeremy Maclin- Doubt he'll see much time. Avant and Riley Cooper will play the bulk of the game. Too bad, Kolb loves Maclin. Maclin is about fifty yards short of 1,000.

Jamaal Charles- KC says they're going to "play to win the game" but Charles has been banged up. Haley would love to win this game so they don't have to play the Patriots, but I'm thinking Jones is going to see the majority of the snaps. KC has not had a week off since week four. Charles needs to rest for the playoffs.

My opponent has:

QB: Peyton Manning

WR: Pierre Garcon

WR: Derrick Mason

RB: Reggie Bush

RB: Mike Tolbert (I'm assuming he'll pull Tolbert and put in either Woodhead or Tomlinson)

TE: Kevin Boss

KR: Sebastian Janikowski

DS: NY Giants

I feel good about this game. Manning will hurt...and so will Woodhead if he puts him in. Boss is a redzone threat. Overall, I think I should win.

I do my rankings all the way through Week 17 (and I also make new ones for the playoffs) because of things like this. :cheers:

I'm not personally in any leagues that have the "championship" game in Week 17, but I am in a league in which there are no "playoffs" and the regular season champion is crowned based on record... Honestly, I think it makes for the best team winning the league a lot more often. Is there less drama? Sure. But there's enough drama in real football for me.

I do my rankings all the way through Week 17 (and I also make new ones for the playoffs) because of things like this. :cheers:

I'm not personally in any leagues that have the "championship" game in Week 17, but I am in a league in which there are no "playoffs" and the regular season champion is crowned based on record... Honestly, I think it makes for the best team winning the league a lot more often. Is there less drama? Sure. But there's enough drama in real football for me.

Week 17 is a crap shoot. Drafting in a league like mine, you have to take into consideration players who may be playing Week 17. Manning burned me for years with him sitting Week 16/17. I finally wised up and traded him this year for Rivers.

I won. Not only do we play until week 17, rosters are frozen after week 14.

I beat up on Lee Evans, Pierre Thomas, Tolbert, H. Nicks, Prater, and Collie today 33 to 32.

we do week 17 too but its our best possible line-up for points, so we don't have to set one...works out ok, have to get backups in f.a so you can roll a good line-up with suckas being rested

I won. Not only do we play until week 17, rosters are frozen after week 14.

I beat up on Lee Evans, Pierre Thomas, Tolbert, H. Nicks, Prater, and Collie today 33 to 32.

That's so focking lame.

Imagine if you had to go against Ryan "I suck at life all year" Mathews and lost with your lineup that killed it all year. Pathetic.

Week 17 leagues force the two championship team owners, and everyone who makes the playoffs, to put together a contingency plan well in advance of the final game. We all know it's coming, and we all know we might be faced with cobbling together a lineup for one last game.

If it's "ghey" to schedule Week 17 FF games when we know certain players won't take the field, then it's just as "ghey" to schedule FF games for NFL bye weeks when we also know certain players won't take the field.

Just as you (hopefully) have a plan to deal with losing some of your starters on bye weeks, you plan ahead for Week 17. It's not that big of a deal. I didn't have to make any lineup changes for the Week 17 championship game. The guy I beat had to make just one. My only "adjustment" was to pick up Tebow a few weeks back in the event Matty Ice was riding the bench for the regular season finale.

If you don't like the idea of a 17-week league, then don't play in one. If you are in one and don't like the schedule, work to get it changed or find a new league.

Week 17 leagues force the two championship team owners, and everyone who makes the playoffs, to put together a contingency plan well in advance of the final game. We all know it's coming, and we all know we might be faced with cobbling together a lineup for one last game.

Just as you (hopefully) have a plan to deal with losing some of your starters on bye weeks, you plan ahead for Week 17.

At our draft, I specifically try to draft a few guys who I anticipate playing during Week 17. During the season, I trade for guys on teams that will be fighting those last week weeks to make the playoffs.

After 10 years of Peyton Manning burning me by sitting the last two weeks of the season, I moved him for Phillip Rivers. The irony of our Week 17 championship was that:

1. I played the team I traded with and;

2. Peyton Manning was actually playing his ass off in Week 17. :doh:

In the end:

Me. :first:

Him. :cry:

won. survived foster and ryan mathews.

amusingly, mathews killed me all season after i drafted him too early. dumped him week 12 or so. the second tolbert went down, i looked at the week 17 matchup and groaned.