Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Shane Vereen

IMO he will be the best of the recent Cal backs -- not saying alot aside from last years first 3 weeks out of Best, But he'sthe total package even smallish - just at around 200-205 pounds -- the best pass blocker in the class , great reciever , explosive , more power than his size would show -- almost always falls forward. Just think he could end up the best of the R class this year. ( Yeah I just took him but still ). Ingram I think will be in a meddled backfield and be a semi bust based on them having Pierre , Ivory , and Bush -- maybe Igngram gets the most carries but either thomas or Bush will be the passing down back.

thoughts

I thinnk Vereen will play well, but keep in mind that he will have to compete with Benjarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead for carries. Also they drafted another rookie, Steven Ridely out of LSU. So that's four guys in the backfield that figure to be in the mix (barring injury). I'd be surprised if he reached fantasy relevance in that scenario.

I thinnk Vereen will play well, but keep in mind that he will have to compete with Benjarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead for carries. Also they drafted another rookie, Steven Ridely out of LSU. So that's four guys in the backfield that figure to be in the mix (barring injury). I'd be surprised if he reached fantasy relevance in that scenario.

I agree. Actually, the only one I trust for consistency is Woodhead as he will most likely be locked in as the passing down back while the other three could easily all rotate on 1st and 2nd downs and even at the goalline.

I think Vereen would have to really stand out in the preseason if he wants to carve himself more carries - and that's going to be extremely tough to do as a rookie this year thanks to the lockout and not really having much time to work with the coaches and impress them.

I agree. Actually, the only one I trust for consistency is Woodhead as he will most likely be locked in as the passing down back while the other three could easily all rotate on 1st and 2nd downs and even at the goalline.

I think Vereen would have to really stand out in the preseason if he wants to carve himself more carries - and that's going to be extremely tough to do as a rookie this year thanks to the lockout and not really having much time to work with the coaches and impress them.

this :thumbsup:

Knowing Belichick, he liked last year's combo so much, he decided to double up. As opposed to finding specialty backs, he may have decided to find two backs in this year's draft - one that reminded him of BJGE and one who did many of the same things Woodhead did...just a wild thought.

I have absolutely no idea who trust on the New England offense (aside from Brady). I do know that they led the league in offensive TDs by a good margin though, so there is some serious upside to whoever emerges. My big worry however is that no one truly emerges on a consistent basis and they just play matchups depending on the opponent.

BB has said that with the lockout, he and his coaches have had a lot more time than normal to work on gameplans specific to their opponents. They love to wildly change the offense with regularity and thus it is one of the toughest to predict from a fantasy perspective in my opinion.

I see a lot of risk with every WR/RB/TE on that team (even Welker). At some point its worth the risk, but for me most of those guys are going in drafts higher than guys with much less risk and similar upside. Though admittedly if Vereen is able to become the lead back in that offense his upside is pretty ridiculously high, so perhaps despite the risk he's worth a high rookie pick.

NE is the new definition of RBBC hell for fantasy owners, trying to predict WTF they are going to do is an exercise in futility. People like to look at end of year numbers when making their lists for next year, but NE will likely be feast or famine for ALL skill positions (outside of Brady).

they will be all over the board, and while you will crush with Vereen 2 weeks per year, he will put you in a position to lose 6 games in the process almost by himself with a near zero output. he lack of predictability in that offense more than offsets his potential IMO.

IMO he will be the best of the recent Cal backs -- not saying alot aside from last years first 3 weeks out of Best, But he'sthe total package even smallish - just at around 200-205 pounds -- the best pass blocker in the class , great reciever , explosive , more power than his size would show -- almost always falls forward. Just think he could end up the best of the R class this year. ( Yeah I just took him but still ). Ingram I think will be in a meddled backfield and be a semi bust based on them having Pierre , Ivory , and Bush -- maybe Igngram gets the most carries but either thomas or Bush will be the passing down back.

thoughts

Sean Payton has already shown that he doesn't really like Pierre Thomas, and Bush is most likely not going to be a Saint next year.

I drafted Vereen at 1.07 in a recent PPR rookie draft ahead of Mikel Leshoure (I'd have taken LeShoure 1st in non-PPR). IMO he is the most talented and multi-dimentional RB on the NE roster and should take over much of the work-load in the next two years. I don't expect Belechick will make him the lead back in a RBBC this year, so for redraft leagues he has little value.

Let's not forget about Beast. M. Lynch is a cal RB and he can definitely be an everydown back if given the chance. I think that Vereen is insanely powerful, but I think he will be the goal line back. So if you are in a td league congrats, you got yourself a guy that will probably get you a few goal line td's but NE has a ton of RB's and it is like a RBBBBBBC there, if you get what I am sayin.

I think Lynch will score more points than Vereen in 2011. Remember beast in the playoffs?

Let's not forget about Beast. M. Lynch is a cal RB and he can definitely be an everydown back if given the chance. I think that Vereen is insanely powerful, but I think he will be the goal line back. So if you are in a td league congrats, you got yourself a guy that will probably get you a few goal line td's but NE has a ton of RB's and it is like a RBBBBBBC there, if you get what I am sayin.

I think Lynch will score more points than Vereen in 2011. Remember beast in the playoffs?

Lynch had one lucky run, where he looked slow as molasses and yet somehow nobody on the Saints could manage a tackle. If you think he is going to have a good 2011 I think you will be dissapointed. He may well outperform Vereen in fantasy terms but that's not saying much of anything.

Lynch had one lucky run, where he looked slow as molasses and yet somehow nobody on the Saints could manage a tackle. If you think he is going to have a good 2011 I think you will be dissapointed. He may well outperform Vereen in fantasy terms but that's not saying much of anything.

The Cal backs are decent college players, but so far mediocre NFL players, they are the Penn St of the left coast.... :D

Ummmmmm pretty sure Law firm is the GL back as Vereen is like 190 lbs. Vereen was drafted for the K. Faulk role and maybe the whole package if he shows he can handle it -- still think Law Firm gets the shorties though. Vereeen is just a great blocker , is powerful for his size - always falls forward , great game breaking ability.

IMO he was the best back n the draft his bad situation in NE could be a great one of he proves himself as soon as this year. Last feature back ( true feature guy ) BB had was Dillon and he did pretty well FF wise

Honestly I just dont trust the NE running game for fanatasy purposes.. I will be avoiding BJGE, Vareen and the bunch.. I would consider Woodhead in ppr if I could grab him in the 15th or later..

They just are not worth the trouble unless you can steal them for late round fliers..

The day Vareen signs he'll be the most talented RB on the NE roster. You can buy BJGE or Woodhead if you want but if I know the hoodie, Vareen will be worked in slowly but given a chance to shine at some point this year. Don't draft him to be a productive player the 1st 6 weeks but I'd take a flier on him in a heartbeat.

If the patriots thought that vareen was a lock to be a starting caliber runningback they would not have chosen ridley 17 picks later. Even the patriots staff does not know how the carries are going to be split.

The day Vareen signs he'll be the most talented RB on the NE roster. You can buy BJGE or Woodhead if you want but if I know the hoodie, Vareen will be worked in slowly but given a chance to shine at some point this year. Don't draft him to be a productive player the 1st 6 weeks but I'd take a flier on him in a heartbeat.

Are you sure you know the hoodie? From my vantage point I see BJGE being a guy that BB loves. Hard nosed, picks a hole and hits it hard, always going forward. He's the antithesis of Maroney, who Belichick despised. BJGE moves the chains and gets over the goal line, I think this kid will get his share in 2011. I have a feeling Ridley takes a backseat to BJGE unless there's an injury.

Are you sure you know the hoodie? From my vantage point I see BJGE being a guy that BB loves. Hard nosed, picks a hole and hits it hard, always going forward. He's the antithesis of Maroney, who Belichick despised. BJGE moves the chains and gets over the goal line, I think this kid will get his share in 2011. I have a feeling Ridley takes a backseat to BJGE unless there's an injury.

I owned BJGE in every single one of my fantasy leagues last season, and he is not a good runningback. There is a reason that the patriots chose 2 runningbacks in the first 3 rounds in the draft. The patriots had the 3rd best run blocking offensive line in the league last year according to a couple sites that grade offensive lines. The patriots running game was a product of offensive line play, not because of runningback play.

I owned BJGE in every single one of my fantasy leagues last season, and he is not a good runningback. There is a reason that the patriots chose 2 runningbacks in the first 3 rounds in the draft. The patriots had the 3rd best run blocking offensive line in the league last year according to a couple sites that grade offensive lines. The patriots running game was a product of offensive line play, not because of runningback play.

I think drafting a guy like Vareen would be done with the expectation of a big payday or a complete bust. Either he does, or does not work his way up that depth chart. BJGE is not a very talented back, but as has been pointed out the NE coaches drafted 2 rb's back to back. Vareen seems like a reasonable gamble - especially in a PPR league - as he has the most upside imo.

Wha? I don't get this at all. I'd think you'd like him since he was on your fantasy team and produced.

I don't really care how it got done....OL, BJGE's talent level, Tom Brady scaring defenses, whatever. He put up over 1000 yards on 230 carries, and scored 13 TD's. And oh yeah, he didn't fumble once....and hasn't in his career at NE. He had 54 redzone carries in 2010 and averaged almost 4 ypc, with 19 first downs and 12 TD's included. So he averages over 4 ypc, never fumbles, has a nose for the endzone, but he's a no talent who will easily be replaced by a rookie?

I think you're mistaken. The guy has built trust. He may not be exciting but from what I've witnessed, Belichick doesn't want exciting from his running game. Sure he'll give way to Woodhead and Vereen since they are the 3rd down/special situation guys, but I don't see Ridley taking much of anything away from BJGE in 2011.

They took Ridley in the 3rd round, where they also took Ryan Mallett. Should Brady be looking over his shoulder too, just like BJGE because of that?

I agree that BJGE isnt a good fantasy RB. His workload was always inconsistant, and he wasnt a guy who was a threat to take one to the house every time he touched the ball. But I see drafting Vereen and Ridley as less of an barometer of Belichicks like or dislike of BJGE, as it is the reality that once past BJGE and Woodhead, the RB position was an absolute wasteland.

Other than BJGE and Woodhead, these were the Patriots RBs last season (and their prospects for this season):

Fred Taylor - 35 yrs old, coming off injury, has said he is "basically retired"

Sammy Morris - almost as old as Taylor (34), primarily a blocker, Not under contract, not expected to be be brought back by the Patriots

Kevin Faulk - also 35, coming off torn ACL, not under contract. Can see him being resigned on the career Patriot/coach on the field role, but very unlikely he ever contibutes on the field significantly again.

Thomas Clayton - Who? I swear i am a Patriots fan, and have never heard of this guy.

Together these four guys ran the ball 78 times for 273 yards. The very definition of fungible. None of the first three are even under contract, so even if the Patriots wanted them back desparately, there was/is no guarantee that they wouldnt sign someplace else. They needed warm bodies in the draft. They got Ridley and Vereen. They cant possibly be any worse than the old guys, and most likely the Patriots coaching staff saw something in them that made them comfortable passing on more well known names like Mark Ingram and taking them later. Im not saying BJGE is the best thing since sliced bread, or that he couldnt be upgraded. But I think that the Patriots coaching staff got exactly what they wanted out of BJGE last season...tough yards on short yardage/goaline situations, and 0 fumbles. They arent looking to be a run first, cloud of dust offense. They just want a running game that will keep the defense honest, can convert 3rd and 1 consistantly, and not take touches away from Tom MF Brady by turning the ball over.Maybe kill some clock in the 4th quarter. BJGE did all that. So unless one of the new guys sets the world on fire (or they sign a premium FA), i cant see a situation where BJGE isnt the starter in week 1.

Now that said, im quietly optimistic about Vereen. He seems like a guy with the skillset to be a very good NFL RB. Given time, and some coaching, i think he might turn out to be a steal. But that is most likely down the road.

Wha? I don't get this at all. I'd think you'd like him since he was on your fantasy team and produced.

I don't really care how it got done....OL, BJGE's talent level, Tom Brady scaring defenses, whatever. He put up over 1000 yards on 230 carries, and scored 13 TD's. And oh yeah, he didn't fumble once....and hasn't in his career at NE. He had 54 redzone carries in 2010 and averaged almost 4 ypc, with 19 first downs and 12 TD's included. So he averages over 4 ypc, never fumbles, has a nose for the endzone, but he's a no talent who will easily be replaced by a rookie?

BJGE doesn't fumble and he's money in the red zone. Otherwise he is very meh. He doesn't pick up yards in obvious running situations (except, inexplicably, down near the goal line). I can tell you as a Pats fan who disected most every game last year, BJGE benefits immensely from the passing offense. He can't kill the clock in the second half because teams know the Pats are going to run and then they can easily stop BJGE.

I think Belichick wants a running game that can grind out the clock. Unfortunately that probably isn't going to point to any one guy. It will probably be a mixture of BJGE, Vereen, and Ridley, with Woodhead coming in on third downs.