Sign in to follow this  
sirwinzalot

NFL fans should be protesting the new kickoff rule

Okay it's week 2 of the preseason, and the whole touchback on all the kickoffs are really boring and have taken away from the game, as NFL fans I believe every fan should absolutely boo on every touchback in the NFL, and send Goodell a message.

Yeah I don't like the rule. Less excitement. They say it's to cut down on injuries, but c'mon, it's football, let them play football.

I agree it kinda sux, but it wasn't that long ago it was changed from the 35 to to 30. '94 I think . And college was at the 40! So touchbacks are at a 32% rate now. Big deal. And the genius Merrill Hodge says the change would be fine if the kickoff team could not get a running start. Guess he forgot to think about onside kicks

You know what's funny? I just saw an ad on NFL Network proclaiming the kickoff return is (I'm paraphrasing) one of the most exciting moments in football, yet they put a rule in effect that will have a great impact on the return game. I wish I could find a link to the commercial, but if you're watching NFL Net keep an eye out.

I agree it kinda sux, but it wasn't that long ago it was changed from the 35 to to 30. '94 I think . And college was at the 40! So touchbacks are at a 32% rate now. Big deal. And the genius Merrill Hodge says the change would be fine if the kickoff team could not get a running start. Guess he forgot to think about onside kicks

they not only changed the yard line, they changed the rule to 5 yards behind the ball, it used to be 10. I like that part of it. Its a work in progress, so we will see how it plays out.

we are already seeing some teams realize that coverage teams arent getting downfield near as fast. cant remember the game, but the announcers were talking about one kr that was told to stand 7 yards deep. if he takes a step back, let it go, otherwise go for the return. i think we are going to see alot more returns as the season goes on and teams dont just take the touchback just because its 5 yards deep.

Enjoy it while it last, it will be out of football (NFL) at some point In the future

Enjoy it while it last, it will be out of football (NFL) at some point In the future

I keep hearing this, that the NFL is slowly moving towards getting rid of kickoffs entirely. Just give the team the ball at the 20.

Personally, I'm not sure how that can happen. Because really, how can you remove onside kicks? It'd just be devastating. Down two scores with a few minutes left, you've got absolutely no chance if the other team is guaranteed 3+ downs from the 20 in between your scores.

The pussification of America continues. :thumbsdown:

Belichick has already made his feelings known that he does not like the rule. He has also indicated that it will affect his roster decisions. Teams used to keep certain guys because they could play special teams. If you cut down on the number of plays where a return or coverage will be impacted, then those players have less value on the overall and game-day rosters.

I keep hearing this, that the NFL is slowly moving towards getting rid of kickoffs entirely. Just give the team the ball at the 20.

Personally, I'm not sure how that can happen. Because really, how can you remove onside kicks? It'd just be devastating. Down two scores with a few minutes left, you've got absolutely no chance if the other team is guaranteed 3+ downs from the 20 in between your scores.

After you score, it will be 4/15 from their own 30 (or 20) so the onside kick will be replaced by an offense play. If you don't make it, then it's the other teams ball. /

You may choose to punt it instead of running an offensive play

If NFL fans do not protest when refs destroy Super Bowls, they will most certainly not protest against a kick off rule.

This rule change was a wicked kick in the nuts for Seattle, Chicago and Cleveland.

They neuter kickoffs but want to add two more games to the regular season schedule. How many of the big names that sat out or were ineffective in this year's superbowl were hurt on kickoffs?

Yah, this is pretty bad...

On another note, I do like that they're not throwing flags every time a QB is inadvertently hit in the head now.

Take the good with the bad I guess.