Sign in to follow this  
abair058

Ryan Mathews a RB1?

Let me start this by saying I owned him last year so I hate him as much as everyone else.

But Norv has said he has done great picking up the blitz and 3rd down packages. So with that does hie gain added value? I know Tolbert will still get most the goal-line but he did last year and Mathews still had 7 TDs.

He can be had around the 5th round or so.

Also I had Foster the year before last and he had 3 TD's week 17. Then last year I had Mathews and he had 3 TDS in week 17 both were their Rookie season. Coincindence?????

Let me start this by saying I owned him last year so I hate him as much as everyone else.

But Norv has said he has done great picking up the blitz and 3rd down packages. So with that does hie gain added value? I know Tolbert will still get most the goal-line but he did last year and Mathews still had 7 TDs.

Also I had Foster the year before last and he had 3 TD's week 17. Then last year I had Mathews and he had 3 TDS in week 17 both were their Rookie season. Coincindence?????

I like Mathews as the 3rd or 4th RB I draft with potential to become my RB 1 or 2. I wouldnt count on it, but he's got a shot to be a stud. I wouldnt draft him without Tolbert though. If he falls to you as your RB#3 or 4 that's great. I wouldnt take him as your RB#2 due to risk of not performing to that level.

I couldn't make him my RB1 based on all the injuries last year plus the failed conditioning test and minor injury issues already this year. I have Tolbert higher on my board than Mathews because I only expect him to be 100% healthy in 8 games or so. If you are okay with that much risk at the RB1 position he's got a ton of upside in that offense, however with only last year to judge, I don't think you can take that much risk at RB1.

Trust me I would not draft him as my RB1, just thought he has the potential to getting RB1 numbers.

I just saw some similarities to him and AFoster the year before he blew up.

He looked really good against a good Run D in Dallas

I couldn't make him my RB1 based on all the injuries last year plus the failed conditioning test and minor injury issues already this year. I have Tolbert higher on my board than Mathews because I only expect him to be 100% healthy in 8 games or so. If you are okay with that much risk at the RB1 position he's got a ton of upside in that offense, however with only last year to judge, I don't think you can take that much risk at RB1.

Tolbert is a fullback who has shown a little something extra. Mathews is their RB of the future. He burnt so many last year that he's being written off now. He could just as easily end up a top 5 RB this year as he could the 30th RB. There is talent there and last year was pretty unlucky with a high ankle sprain.

If you can get him as your 3rd RB I'd say you're in good shape.

I think he's a steal at his current ADP. He's a young starting rb on a potent offensive team. Huge upside with minimal risk. And he really needs to prove his worth this year to stay relevant in the NFL.

He looked really good against a good Run D in Dallas

if you're referring to the last preseason game, i can assure you as a dallas homer that the dallas run D is not very good yet. they're only 4 weeks into the installation of a completely different gap control scheme, and it shows. the players are still learning the new terminology, and front calls have been shaky. the effort and talent are there, but the scheme hasn't coalesced.

i love my cowboys, but i think it would be a mistake to give mathews a strongly positive evaluation based on his performance last week.

I think he's a steal at his current ADP. He's a young starting rb on a potent offensive team. Huge upside with minimal risk. And he really needs to prove his worth this year to stay relevant in the NFL.

A young starting RB who is often injured, on a pass first team, not getting goal line carries, and losing about half his workload to Mike Tolbert. Think his ADP is pretty accurate.

A young starting RB who is often injured, on a pass first team, not getting goal line carries, and losing about half his workload to Mike Tolbert. Think his ADP is pretty accurate.

And I'm glad there are so many of you out there.

Mathews got 1 year, and now he's on many DND lists. 1 stinking year.

And I'm glad there are so many of you out there.

Mathews got 1 year, and now he's on many DND lists. 1 stinking year.

Couldn't agree more. I LOVE that people do this. At 6-0, 220 lbs and 4.37 speed, Mathews dominated at Fresno State. He's drafted 12th overall in the 2010 NFL draft and goes to one of the NFL's best offensive teams as their starting running back. His prospects as a rookie are so good that many fantasy drafters take him in the 2nd round. He hurts his wrist and ankle, has an uneven year, but finishes strong by rushing for 300 yards and 5 TDs in his last 4 games, despite sharing carries with Mike Tolbert.

...and so this year he's a 7th rounder?

Right :-)

He's got the skills to be an RB1, but I'm not bold enough to draft him like that - also you don't have to with his current ADP, so why do it :)

Expect a solid season from him this year when you draft him, high upside RB2 numbers you can get in the mid-rounds and be happy if the FF gods smile on him this year.

I'll peg him as an RB3 with high upside, so if he can be had at pennies on the dollar for some reason during my draft, I'll pick him up...

Ryan Mathews can't carry Laurence Maroney's nuts!

:unsure:

I'm targeting him in every draft as an RB3 if I can get him. :ninja:

Ryan Mathews can't carry Laurence Maroney's nuts!

:unsure:

I'm targeting him in every draft as an RB3 if I can get him. :ninja:

12 or 10 teamers?

I'm in a 10 team and assume he can be had as a #3.

Will you be gunning for Tolbert a couple rounds later?

12 or 10 teamers?

I'm in a 10 team and assume he can be had as a #3.

Will you be gunning for Tolbert a couple rounds later?

ADP on him is around early 6th, although the Chargers homer in my league will likely go after him earlier. For me, it will depend on what's available at QB and when and where I am in the order. But I'd like to have him as a #3 RB for sure. Reggie Bush will be my fall back if I can't land him.

Dude splits carries with a converted fullback, doesn't get goal line carries and leaves the game on 3rd downs. He's all hype.

Whoever depends on this guy in the season better not watch the game with the remote in their hand; they just might throw it through the TV screen.

Dude splits carries with a converted fullback, doesn't get goal line carries and leaves the game on 3rd downs. He's all hype.

Whoever depends on this guy in the season better not watch the game with the remote in their hand; they just might throw it through the TV screen.

SD does not want Mathews as a between the 20's, situational guy. They view him as an every down RB. Tolbert has been fantastic for SD and has filled a need because Mathews hasn't grabbed the job and run yet. But from everything I've read, Mathews is going to get every possible chance to succeed in that offense. The way it may be looking at this moment is not the way it may end up. Mathews has a lot to offer. Much more than Tolbert.

I wanted no part of Mathews where he was going last year....now, I'm buying because the investment is low.

For chrissakes Matthews was a rookie last year, people... Apparently a bit immature based on his offseason conditioning habits, but he's got the talent and opportunity to be a star. It's waaay too early to write him off as a situational RB. If he stays healthy, we'll be talking about him as a RB1 next year.

Dude splits carries with a converted fullback, doesn't get goal line carries and leaves the game on 3rd downs.

This is my concern - he may be talented - but his situation doesn't look great right now.

This is my concern - he may be talented - but his situation doesn't look great right now.

It's everyone's concern, but he's only going to cost you your #3 RB this year. A friend of mine was in a 12 team draft last night. Standard scoring. He showed me the teams. Mathews went in the middle of the 7th round. That's pretty cheap.

Mathews will probably match his production from last year. If u all are excited about that, knock yourselves out. This guy is Beanie Wells pt. II from what I've seen.

Mathews will probably match his production from last year. If u all are excited about that, knock yourselves out. This guy is Beanie Wells pt. II from what I've seen.

I am glad people view him this way. It will allow me to get him in the 6th or 7th as a RB3 and be a top 15 back you watch.

I will be bumping this later this season for sure

Since this thread is going to get bumped later in the season, I want to be on board as saying I believe that Ryan Mathews is an RB1. He was awful last year, but he has good talent and has an offensive team around him in which to thrive. Ryan Mathews will be a big reason I repeat as champion this year. :pointstosky:

I am glad people view him this way. It will allow me to get him in the 6th or 7th as a RB3 and be a top 15 back you watch.

I will be bumping this later this season for sure

If u like it, I love it. I wasnt gonna have any parts of that mofo after the frustration I had with that clown.

You got serious balls if he is on your roster as your #1RB. In fact you will get the Juevos Muchos Grande award at the end of the year if you can show me a roster with him at your top RB and pull of a playoff spot. B)

I like his upside much like Beanie Wells, if I can get him in the 5th-6th I am more than happy to take a shot as my RB3. I am worried it turns into a 2 back RBBC approach and you will never know who to start between him and Tolbert though. I have seen him go as early as the 3rd and 4th fairly consistently, and I think that ADP is too high unless your league mates are going heavy RB in the first 2 rounds.

I wasnt gonna have any parts of that mofo after the frustration I had with that clown.

This can bite you in FF. I traded for him last year so I feel some of your pain. However, it's 2011 now.

Beanie can't catch the ball and AZ's line isn't as good as SD's. I like Mathews to have a RB1 year. Beanie RB3

For chrissakes Matthews was a rookie last year, people... Apparently a bit immature based on his offseason conditioning habits, but he's got the talent and opportunity to be a star. It's waaay too early to write him off as a situational RB. If he stays healthy, we'll be talking about him as a RB1 next year.

IIRC wasn't he getting rave reviews during training camp last year? Hence part of the reason why I believe I saw him get taken at the end of the 1st round in some drafts.

I think his ADP is pretty accurate (4th/5th)...yeah he could end up having a very good year but he could just as easily duplicate what he did last year. Tolbert may end up with similar numbers and you can get him 3 rounds later.