Sign in to follow this  
DeaLerZ

Cam Newton had a sick 16 yd td run!

I'm hoping he is. I like the outlook of the Panther offense this year. I know, I know, rookie QB. But he seems to have the tools...plus, I drafted DeAngelo and Steve Smith, so I can only hope, right..right??

He makes some terrible throws.

definitely agree with that... but he is a monster out there (size wise hah).. by mid season I think he will start putting up some decent numbers... still has a lot to learn

another 24 yd run!!

:blink:

:huh:

I should clarify..it's a 12 team keeper league so 36 players (or three rounds) were already spoken for. More like a 13-14th round pick.

I should clarify..it's a 12 team keeper league so 36 players (or three rounds) were already spoken for. More like a 13-14th round pick.

You have "rounds" in an "auction" draft league? :confused:

he can't hit the broad side of a barn though. 3-12 passing is not very good.

How long until he gets the tebow treatment, because his description sounds very familiar.

You have "rounds" in an "auction" draft league? :confused:

Only in the sense of who calls out the player...bidding is open to everyone.

glad I wasn't able to get a Panther RB...

when he steps up and throws and shows good mechanics throwing off of his front foot he is as accurate as anyone... but he throws too many backyard football passes...

hasn't realized that those work about 10% of the time in the NFL... once he starts doing those things better.. i think he will really be a good QB.. he has shown great poise in the pocket... hasn't had any turnovers thus far in pre-season.. and looks about as unstoppable as Vick when he runs...

when he steps up and throws and shows good mechanics throwing off of his front foot he is as accurate as anyone... but he throws too many backyard football passes...

hasn't realized that those work about 10% of the time in the NFL... once he starts doing those things better.. i think he will really be a good QB.. he has shown great poise in the pocket... hasn't had any turnovers thus far in pre-season.. and looks about as unstoppable as Vick when he runs...

That's what I've seen from him also and I've watched every snap he's played this preseason. He's missed a few throws, but not as many as his numbers would suggest. Tonight was the first game he had Steve Smith. He's had some nice connections with both Shockey and Olsen. Some of those have been deep down the field. He hasn't had a ton of luck with his WRs, but they aren't very good. He's also had to throw the ball away a lot due to his guards getting pushed straight back into him.

I've been decently impressed, at least in terms of fantasy potential. I think he's going to rush for 800 yards and 8 TDs (50 yards per game, .5 TDs). Unlike Vick, he has the size to run a bit and not get too dinged up. If he can pass for 2400 yards and 16 TDs (150 and 1 TD per game), he could be a startable QB depending on your league's rules.

If your league is 1 point per 25 yards passing and 4 pt. for passing TDs, the numbers I posted above are the equivalent of a non-running QB putting up 4,400 yards and 28 TDs....

he better be able to run because i'm not sure he could actually hit the broadside of the barn. they were showing his passes on espn, and most were not even close to catchable, and he wasnt getting any pressure on some of the worst throws.

he better be able to run because i'm not sure he could actually hit the broadside of the barn. they were showing his passes on espn, and most were not even close to catchable, and he wasnt getting any pressure on some of the worst throws.

Bingo. A one trick pony and he's going to struggle big time this year.

looks like the real deal

Yeah - the real deal. Dude cant hit the side of an airplane hanger with a football and couldnt read a defense it it was written with crayons. But...he can run.... just like all those "college-only, run ffirst QBs". Tim Tebow was one of those too.

Gimme a break. :rolleyes: :lol:

Yeah - the real deal. Dude cant hit the side of an airplane hanger with a football and couldnt read a defense it it was written with crayons. But...he can run.... just like all those "college-only, run ffirst QBs". Tim Tebow was one of those too.

And what happens to QBs who run like him (he is not as slick as Vick people...and even Vick has this problem), they get hurt.

He will take too many hits...its inevitable.

hah.. you just take one thing i said in the whole post and try to make my post look like i am a moron..... and read everything i say before wasting my time

That's what I've seen from him also and I've watched every snap he's played this preseason. He's missed a few throws, but not as many as his numbers would suggest. Tonight was the first game he had Steve Smith. He's had some nice connections with both Shockey and Olsen. Some of those have been deep down the field. He hasn't had a ton of luck with his WRs, but they aren't very good. He's also had to throw the ball away a lot due to his guards getting pushed straight back into him.

I've been decently impressed, at least in terms of fantasy potential. I think he's going to rush for 800 yards and 8 TDs (50 yards per game, .5 TDs). Unlike Vick, he has the size to run a bit and not get too dinged up. If he can pass for 2400 yards and 16 TDs (150 and 1 TD per game), he could be a startable QB depending on your league's rules.

If your league is 1 point per 25 yards passing and 4 pt. for passing TDs, the numbers I posted above are the equivalent of a non-running QB putting up 4,400 yards and 28 TDs....

yea... and add on about 16 int's and we are probably about right on with that... but that is definitely an interesting way of looking at things... by mid season when he starts to get a little more in sync with his WR's and improves on his mechanics i definitely think he could have value as a #2 QB

hah.. you just take one thing i said in the whole post and try to make my post look like i am a moron..... and read everything i say before wasting my time

You said he looked like the "real deal". Thats what I was replying to. Real deal means that hes a complete, NFL-caliber quarterback. Not saying you are a moron at all - just saying that Newton is to quarterbacks what Burger King is to hamburgers. Dont take it personally.

looks like the real deal

:lol: From RotoWorld

Newton erratic as passer, effective as runner Cam Newton completed 6-of-19 passes for 75 yards and added four rushes for 49 yards and a touchdown against the Bengals in the Panthers' third preseason game.

Newton never looked comfortable in the pocket, and his accuracy remains a major concern after a third straight game under 50 percent on completions. On a positive note, Newton showed his fantasy QB2 potential on a 16-yard touchdown run where he ran over CB Jonathan Wade at the goal-line. Newton certainly hasn't "earned" the starting job, but the Panthers are loath to turn the offense over to Jimmy Clausen. Aug 25 - 10:14 PM

Newton's mechanics weren't nearly as d!cked up as Tebow's. In fact, Newton's mechanics were pretty sound for a guy coming out of a spread offense. They are both big, mobile guys. Newton doesn't possess the leadership qualities of Tebow, though Newton isn't a slouch there either. He's a lot bigger and younger then Vick, so injuries shouldnt be as much of a concern, though they will come if he relies on his legs too much.

I've only seen a few highlights of his preseason work. How is he at keeping his eyes down field when the play breaks down and he's forced to scramble? That will be a big key to future success. The great scramblers are a threat to pass up until the second they hit the line of scrimmage. I imagine he's more tuck and run, but this is something that can be learned.

I think Newton has all the tools. If he keeps his head on right and works hard he could be pretty damn good. I still wouldn't mess with him fantasywise this year outside of real deep leagues.

He's in for a really rough year, how he handles it will be very telling.

:lol: From RotoWorld

read the rest of what i said...

Newton's mechanics weren't nearly as d!cked up as Tebow's. In fact, Newton's mechanics were pretty sound for a guy coming out of a spread offense. They are both big, mobile guys. Newton doesn't possess the leadership qualities of Tebow, though Newton isn't a slouch there either. He's a lot bigger and younger then Vick, so injuries shouldnt be as much of a concern, though they will come if he relies on his legs too much.

I've only seen a few highlights of his preseason work. How is he at keeping his eyes down field when the play breaks down and he's forced to scramble? That will be a big key to future success. The great scramblers are a threat to pass up until the second they hit the line of scrimmage. I imagine he's more tuck and run, but this is something that can be learned.

I think Newton has all the tools. If he keeps his head on right and works hard he could be pretty damn good. I still wouldn't mess with him fantasywise this year outside of real deep leagues.

couldn't agree more

What tools does he have? Does he have the Manning, Brady, Rivers, & Brees required "tools" to get it done at the pro level where you actually face defenses that actually can stop you? Can he thread the needle? Can he make quick decisions on the fly that dont revolve around running all over the place like cracked-out lunatic? The answer is 100% NO.

They are already talking about "dumbing" down the offense for him, as if Carolinas offense isnt dumb enough already. That means they wont make him throw or read a defense... he'l hand off and chuck a few screens. Then, he'll really "go for it" and try a 5 yard out pattenr that will sail into the stands. The result will be that the Punters leg will fall off by week 6.

The all-time greats ALWAYS showed something even in their rookie years. Manning and Aikman had bad stats per say but you could tell that they had it. Matt Ryan had it. Eli had it. McNabb had it. You could tell.

Newton aint got it. And thats the end of that.

GINORMOUS POS.

He has no QB skills. All he can do is look at the 1st read and then take off. # of successful QB's that do that: ZERO. Typical athletic, low IQ, loser imitation QB.

One start in a preseason game and I haven't seen it yet, except for the highlight runs. I think I'll wait until I see more tape from Cam, like at least one full regular season's worth.

What tools does he have? Does he have the Manning, Brady, Rivers, & Brees required "tools" to get it done at the pro level where you actually face defenses that actually can stop you? Can he thread the needle? Can he make quick decisions on the fly that dont revolve around running all over the place like cracked-out lunatic? The answer is 100% NO.

They are already talking about "dumbing" down the offense for him, as if Carolinas offense isnt dumb enough already. That means they wont make him throw or read a defense... he'l hand off and chuck a few screens. Then, he'll really "go for it" and try a 5 yard out pattenr that will sail into the stands. The result will be that the Punters leg will fall off by week 6.

The all-time greats ALWAYS showed something even in their rookie years. Manning and Aikman had bad stats per say but you could tell that they had it. Matt Ryan had it. Eli had it. McNabb had it. You could tell.

did you watch any of his games thus far?? everything Joey Gladstone said is pretty right on... he did a good job when he was under pressure, and even made a few great plays out of nothing (Including the 16yd TD run, which this whole post was about)... he DID not turn the ball over, when other QB's probably would have in some of the situations the offensive line left him in...he had a couple of sacks where he somehow managed to hold on to the ball with little effort...

His overall Passing performance thus far has been poor I will agree ... but he hasn't had Steve Smith in camp for most of pre-seson and that offense is twice as good with him in the line-up... he obviously still has a lot to learn.. but Cam seems more like a guy that learns as he goes.. the more he plays the better he will get... he has obvious talent if you watch the games, just a little rough around the edges

and YES he did thread the needle on several of his passes thus far in pre-season when he stepped into his throws they were very accurate.. but like i said earlier.. he throws off of his back foot too much and needs to work on his mechanics, he obviously developed a few bad habits because they always worked for him at the collegiate level, but they won't at this level

to say that Cam Newton "ain't got it. And thats the end of that." is a little pre-mature as the season hasn't even started yet, and he has barely had a month to practice... if he has 2 td's and 20 int's by mid season than I will agree with you.. but everyone knows the QB position takes time to develop...

They're dumbing down an offense for a rookie QB!????!!!! :shocking:

His only problem is footwork, which is easily correctable. It's not like he has had to comepletely makeover his throwing motion.

It's preseason and the dude has had an abbreviated offseason. I'd hold off on making a judgement whether or not the kid has "it". He takes a lot of flack, but I think he has a shot at being pretty damn good. He's far from a sure thing.

They're dumbing down an offense for a rookie QB!????!!!! :shocking:

His only problem is footwork, which is easily correctable. It's not like he has had to comepletely makeover his throwing motion.

It's preseason and the dude has had an abbreviated offseason. I'd hold off on making a judgement whether or not the kid has "it". He takes a lot of flack, but I think he has a shot at being pretty damn good. He's far from a sure thing.

Just footwork? Ya dont think the fact that he cant connect on passes even on intermediate routes could use correcting? Ok then.

I guess we shall see but I wouldnt bet a much that he'll be a "commander-like, top-quality" NFL quarterback at any point in his life.

Just footwork? Ya dont think the fact that he cant connect on passes even on intermediate routes could use correcting? Ok then.

I guess we shall see but I wouldnt bet a much that he'll be a "commander-like, top-quality" NFL quarterback at any point in his life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's the next big thing. I just think people have been premature in completely writing him off. If his coaches are smart they'd make him watch and analyze every single snap Steve Young has ever taken.

Watching college highlights, he's actually quite accurate on his deep ball when he sets his feet properly. Does he have the brain to put everything together and not completely panic under pressure? That's the big question...and something he'll either "get" or not. He's made some poor decisions in the past, but he doesn't strike me as dumb.