Sign in to follow this  
Mike Nice

CJ2K 4 yr 53.5m...30m guaranteed

The Titans, like many NFL teams are retarded for giving out these kind of contracts to Running Backs.

The Titans, like many NFL teams are retarded for giving out these kind of contracts to Running Backs.

Yep the 30m guaranteed...ADP is a free agent next year...Can't wait to see what he gets

Yep the 30m guaranteed...ADP is a free agent next year...Can't wait to see what he gets

especially for a guy under contract.

he don't wanna play? Fock 'em.

Not like they're going to win anything this year.

idiots.

Fack. Rice this year seems ready to explode. Dammit!!

If you feel rice is going to have a bigger year take Rice, everyone will have a different opinion on it

Please pull your hamstring <_< Stupid me took McCoy at #6 instead of CJ :wall:

For the first time since coming to Tennessee, the Titans were unable to sell out their single game tickets for home games (they keep some outside of season tickets to sell to fans on a per game basis).

I think a large part of that was the lockout...another large part was the uncertainty with CJ.

People like the guy...he makes them more exciting and worth a ticket.

I would guess they sold some tickets today after he signed.

Hard to turn down that kind of explosiveness in Cj. I think rice will have more receptions but Cj always a threat to take it to the house. Hopefully the guy with the first pick takes Cj then I don't have to make the decision, as I'm taking rice over ap In a ppr for sure.

I think this puts him #2 now behind AP. I have the 2nd pick and was all set to take Rice, but I think I've got to go CJ now. At the end of the day, it's about pure talent meeting opportunity. Easily the most talented backs in the NFL are Peterson and CJ. Charles is a close 3rd, but his opportunity or situation puts him below Rice IMO. I wouldn't take him, but I'm guessing Foster would be next.

CJ at 2.16??? Really?

That's just another great example to why my league always makes sure to draft in the last week, after the preseason is over and just a couple days before the first game.

Now Johnson will be picked before my choice and I'm actually relieved. I really don't want him this year.

That's just another great example to why my league always makes sure to draft in the last week, after the preseason is over and just a couple days before the first game.

Now Johnson will be picked before my choice and I'm actually relieved. I really don't want him this year.

And in comes Mr. Negative to rain on our CJ party

Big contract for Chris Johnson... But, why do teams pay these backs that much money? I couldn't think of it, but I was curious, when was the last time a team won the Super Bowl with a top 5 paid back?

The Broncos in 98 with Davis is the last team I can remember winning with a star RB.

yeah I was debating rice vs. AP in PPR league, but I think CJ has the highest ceiling even with all of Rice's 'improvements' this year... you have to think that last year was as 'bad' as CJ could do with all those sub 100 yard games...... now I have to do some research on hasselbeck in this new offense, but right now I'm leaning towards CJ over rice and AP

And in comes Mr. Negative to rain on our CJ party

Sorry, I must have missed the point of the OP. I didn't realize this was a Chris Johnson celebration thread only.

Not being negative, just sharing my opinion.

yeah I was debating rice vs. AP in PPR league, but I think CJ has the highest ceiling even with all of Rice's 'improvements' this year... you have to think that last year was as 'bad' as CJ could do with all those sub 100 yard games...... now I have to do some research on hasselbeck in this new offense, but right now I'm leaning towards CJ over rice and AP

PS... in my league scoring system (1pt per catch, 10yds/pt, 5pts for 100+ yds in a game, etc) for 2010 they scored:

CJ - 312

AP - 300

RR - 286

yeah we usually draft the tues or wed before the first game so there are no GOTCHAS!.... best way to roll if you ask me....

Good to hear, not sure why the hate, of all the players that definitely deserved to get paid you would have to think Cj2k was at the top of the list. Guy has carried his team and plays a position where he takes a beating every week that would likely put all of us in the hospital or at least on the couch for a week.

The playing under a existing contract is a dumb arguement since the contract is NOT guaranteed the owners can cut the player at any time. If the player underperforms frequently the player is asked to take a pay cut and if they do not agree they are cut, how is this any different? He outpeformed his contract and deserves to be compensated.

Funny but by waiting 2 weeks they probably cost themselves 10million when the Fitzgerald contract came out. I love to see these billionares screw up and have to pay. It almost never happens which is why they are so wealthy in the first place. The guaranteed money was dumb though they should have offered something like higher yearly salary tied to all-pro level incentives so the player would stay motivated and not cripple the cap space if injured.

Good to hear, not sure why the hate, of all the players that definitely deserved to get paid you would have to think Cj2k was at the top of the list. Guy has carried his team and plays a position where he takes a beating every week that would likely put all of us in the hospital or at least on the couch for a week.

I'm not in on the hate and kudos to Chris and his agent for completely winning this war.

Your remarks about him carrying his team would mean nothing to me as a Titan's representative but your mention of him playing a position where he gets beaten up constantly is exactly why they were stupid to make this deal. The guy is 5'11" and 190 pounds. He has a ton of wear and tear in the last 2 years. The odds are against him lasting very long.

He's a commodity, and a commodity that really hasn't done all that much for Tennessee in the W column. I think it was a really poor business move.

Nice, who was your first pick

AJ!!

i actually missed the first two picks so they were auto drafted for me lol. i came in surprised as hell that i had both of them. had i been there i probably wouldn't have taken AJ with the 1st pick though.

I'm not in on the hate and kudos to Chris and his agent for completely winning this war.

Your remarks about him carrying his team would mean nothing to me as a Titan's representative but your mention of him playing a position where he gets beaten up constantly is exactly why they were stupid to make this deal. The guy is 5'11" and 190 pounds. He has a ton of wear and tear in the last 2 years. The odds are against him lasting very long.

He's a commodity, and a commodity that really hasn't done all that much for Tennessee in the W column. I think it was a really poor business move.

He is NOT a commodity in that he is *not* a product that is interchangeable or qualitatively indifferent from other products of the same type. Oil is a commodity, Charlie Batch is a commodity, Sammy Morris is a commodity....CJ is different in that he is the best at what he does and moves the needle/puts butts in the seats....and as far as a business decision goes.... the Titan owners might measure success in profits vs. Super Bowl rings..... so perhaps it will be a good business deal.

The playing under a existing contract is a dumb arguement since the contract is NOT guaranteed the owners can cut the player at any time. If the player underperforms frequently the player is asked to take a pay cut and if they do not agree they are cut, how is this any different? He outpeformed his contract and deserves to be compensated.

Funny but by waiting 2 weeks they probably cost themselves 10million when the Fitzgerald contract came out. I love to see these billionares screw up and have to pay. It almost never happens which is why they are so wealthy in the first place. The guaranteed money was dumb though they should have offered something like higher yearly salary tied to all-pro level incentives so the player would stay motivated and not cripple the cap space if injured.

Well, guess what? The reason why there are so many TV commercial breaks and the reason that the rules are changing in the NFL is simply money. The more these clowns make, the more that will get passed onto the fans in some way, shape, or form. Thats how it works. CJ had two very good years and one decent one. He'll now outearn Emmitt Smith in a short time. I dont consider it good at all.

Your comments about the owner being able to just cut a player is a reciprocating argument...the player can hold out, the owner can cut him, the player can hold out, etc, etc. Noone wins. NFL contracts arent worth the paper they are written on and even after this lengthy lockout period they didnt do sh!t to fix it. What a joke.

You also mention CJ outplaying his contract money-wise. Does that mean that when the players suck after signing big contracts that they return some money to the owner or team? Do they renegotiate to reflect their suckage? Ive never seen that happen and Im sure I never will.

Whatever. Dude will probably snap a tendon on the first carry like Jamall Anderson did way back when he did the same thing.

...and as far as a business decision goes.... the Titan owners might measure success in profits vs. Super Bowl rings..... so perhaps it will be a good business deal.

Well, if his goal is strictly business-related then Titans fans may as well not bother because owners that want to win put winning ahead of overpaying for prima-donna players. See Bob Kraft for a good example. Bleh.

Thats bad Kharma..

OH WELL i already know McCoy will suck since i picked him :(

Well, if his goal is strictly business-related then Titans fans may as well not bother because owners that want to win put winning ahead of overpaying for prima-donna players. See Bob Kraft for a good example. Bleh.

Titans fans *will* bother, despite your suggestion, and the owners know this and in the end will probably get their return on investment. One possible rationale the owners are taking is that the Titans have no chance in hell getting a ring in the next 3-5 years anyway, no matter what they decided with CJ, so they might as well secure the biggest attraction (the only attraction) they have.

the Titans have no chance in hell getting a ring in the next 3-5 years anyway

I don't agree at all. They have a good young defense, a good o-line, a young receiver with incredible potential, a young TE who could become dominant, and the best back in football... it's really all about locker. If he can come on in the next two or three years, this team could easily be a contender. The colts are fading as perennial owners of the division...

:pointstosky: :pointstosky: :pointstosky:

CJ at 1.5 and MJD at 2.6, both were seen as too risky. G-night league!

I did the same thing man... now i am trying to trade MJD paired with Josh Freeman to get Vick... we'll see what happens

I definitely think CJ is a top 3 pick in all formats however... if you are worried about injury.. pick up Ringer in the 10th round.. and if after 3 weeks CJ is looking great which is what will most likely happen... than drop Ringer and pick up a player who has done awesome off the waiver wire wherever you have a weakness

He is NOT a commodity in that he is *not* a product that is interchangeable or qualitatively indifferent from other products of the same type. Oil is a commodity, Charlie Batch is a commodity, Sammy Morris is a commodity....CJ is different in that he is the best at what he does and moves the needle/puts butts in the seats....and as far as a business decision goes.... the Titan owners might measure success in profits vs. Super Bowl rings..... so perhaps it will be a good business deal.

CJ has been one of the best at what he does. The average career for a NFL running back is under 3 years. Johnson has already beaten the odds, espcecially based on his size. But overpaying a guy for past performance at such a volatile position isn't prudent.

The Titans don't strike me as a very bright organization. They just overpaid for a guy that's already passed the average life expetancy for a NFL RB and they're no closer to a SB because of it. Pretty short sighted imo.