Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

How many of you

bye weeks? :mad:

Life was good back then.

Not me. It sounds awesome though... <---Newton owner facing Rodgers owner this week

My first year was awesome. I was able to start Johnny U every week. Those were the good ole days

Even on a bye week he was good for 10 points...

I have been playing 20 years now. I don't remember when the byes started.

I was actually thinking about this during the drive to work this am (yeah, I'm a bit bye-focked this week in one league). What I'd like to see, not only from a FF prospective, but also a NFL prospective would be for the entire league to take a Sunday off at the same time. Not only would that make the FF a little easier to manage/draft....but also would be fair to the NFL teams.

I might actually get off my arse and accomplish something on 1 Sunday during the football season if they would do this.

The NFL instituted bye weeks in 1990. In 1993 each team had TWO byes :shocking: Thank God that was just a 1 year experiment....

1st league 1989

I played before bye weeks and when there was 2 bye weeks. which was the worst idea ever by the nfl.

I was actually thinking about this during the drive to work this am (yeah, I'm a bit bye-focked this week in one league). What I'd like to see, not only from a FF prospective, but also a NFL prospective would be for the entire league to take a Sunday off at the same time. Not only would that make the FF a little easier to manage/draft....but also would be fair to the NFL teams.

I might actually get off my arse and accomplish something on 1 Sunday during the football season if they would do this.

The NFL instituted bye weeks in 1990. In 1993 each team had TWO byes :shocking: Thank God that was just a 1 year experiment....

Never gonna happen.

Why would the NFL and TV brass want you to accomplish anything but sitting on your arse, watching the ads?

Never gonna happen.

Why would the NFL and TV brass want you to accomplish anything but sitting on your arse, watching the ads?

True dat. However, with The Ticket, I tend to avoid most of the ads.

Edit: Although I am amazed at times, as to how I can have 10 games at my fingertips, and almost every focking one of them will have a ad on at the same time (not during halftime)

I was thinking that this might be a better option with a 17 game schedule, compared to 18 games. Why is this so bad?

Edit: Although I am amazed at times, as to how I can have 10 games at my fingertips, and almost every focking one of them will have a ad on at the same time (not during halftime)

Lol I've noticed this as well. My dad and I go ape $hit when we've flipped between multiple games and get ads.

Bye-weeks distinguish the true contenders from the pretenders. If you drafted accordingly or played the WW hard, you should have adequate depth on your bench in which case the bye-weeks shouldn't hurt you nearly as hard. I would actually welcome double bye-weeks if it means players would stay healthier.

bye weeks? :mad:

Life was good back then.

Ah yeah, the good old days before the bye weeks, only 5 teams from each conference making the playoffs, no salary caps, and before free agency as we now know it today. It was 1990 when the playoffs were expanded from 5 teams to 6 in each conference and when the bye weeks began, except for 1993, where each team had 2 bye weeks.

I can't imagine fantasy football without computers. The commissioner really earned his paycheck back then.

I can't imagine fantasy football without computers. The commissioner really earned his paycheck back then.

I used to play in leagues before computers. Our buy in was $300, the commisioner played for FREE

I used to play in leagues before computers. Our buy in was $300, the commisioner played for FREE

I ran a league with the box scores from the papers. We had to watch Van Earl Right to get any kind of stats for our players before the papers came out, the final scores weren't till Monday or sometimes Tuesday.

:thumbsup:

mine was $450 as little as 2 years ago and I played for free. :doublethumbsup:

Yeah, I remember those days back in the early 90s... the Commish had to be really dedicated. The starting lineup phone calls would usually start coming in around 9am on Sunday, and back then, it wasn't unusual for me to be out and about til 2-3am at the local dive.

Practially the only way to keep up during the games would be catching the 10 minute ticker that the networks would flash across the bottom of the broadcast. Anyone remember the "ding" "ding" "dinnnnnnng" sounds that NBC would play for their flash report during NFL games? Let me tell you, if you heard that sound, you were running to catch stats updates!

Inevitably, you always had a few players that you had no idea how they'd done until you got up Monday morning and raced to get a copy of USA Today or the local paper and checked the box scores. Being Commish, it was somewhat tedious picking through all the box scores.

Finally, Tuesday morning, I would type up my "newsletter" with the latest league scoring, standings, and upcoming games. I did this on a type writer mind you. When I got to school Wednesday morning I could make xerox copies of my newsletter and everyone knew they could come by the restaurant to pick up their copy the rest of the week.

Wow, I hadn't thought about all that in a long time. Good stuff!

Yeah, I remember those days back in the early 90s... the Commish had to be really dedicated. The starting lineup phone calls would usually start coming in around 9am on Sunday, and back then, it wasn't unusual for me to be out and about til 2-3am at the local dive.

Practially the only way to keep up during the games would be catching the 10 minute ticker that the networks would flash across the bottom of the broadcast. Anyone remember the "ding" "ding" "dinnnnnnng" sounds that NBC would play for their flash report during NFL games? Let me tell you, if you heard that sound, you were running to catch stats updates!

Inevitably, you always had a few players that you had no idea how they'd done until you got up Monday morning and raced to get a copy of USA Today or the local paper and checked the box scores. Being Commish, it was somewhat tedious picking through all the box scores.

Finally, Tuesday morning, I would type up my "newsletter" with the latest league scoring, standings, and upcoming games. I did this on a type writer mind you. When I got to school Wednesday morning I could make xerox copies of my newsletter and everyone knew they could come by the restaurant to pick up their copy the rest of the week.

Wow, I hadn't thought about all that in a long time. Good stuff!

Ahhhh the memories.

The USA Today was the KING of news media for me, back then.

I would look forward to the Wed/Thur letter in the mail, with all of the results and standings, from our commish.

The bye weeks also make it much tougher to make a Parlay bet. :wall: It kind of wipes out a big chunk of my betting season.