Sign in to follow this  
Coalter

Done with H2H only leagues

I led both of my leagues in total points this season, but due to bad luck on matchups I didn't win my division in either. So I still made the playoffs in both leagues but lost my first round matchup ending my season. To make things worse it appears I am going to have the top score in both leagues this weeekend.

Yes I am whining big time but it is very frustrating that I had two of my best teams ever and didn't walk away with any earnings, our league pays out only on the SB and runner up winner.

I have heard of many other formats that are still H2H but have some safeguards to remove some of the luck.

Anyone else get burnt this year because of bad H2H luck?

I led both of my leagues in total points this season, but due to bad luck on matchups I didn't win my division in either. So I still made the playoffs in both leagues but lost my first round matchup ending my season. To make things worse it appears I am going to have the top score in both leagues this weeekend.

Yes I am whining big time but it is very frustrating that I had two of my best teams ever and didn't walk away with any earnings, our league pays out only on the SB and runner up winner.

I have heard of many other formats that are still H2H but have some safeguards to remove some of the luck.

everyone

As long as leagues make provisions for high scoring teams to make the playoffs (i.e. top 6 records make it, last two teams are based on most points), stop your bitching. Your team laid an egg in the playoffs, probably wouldn't have mattered if you were a top seed anyway.

i just dialed whine one one, the whambulance is on the way!

ofcourse we all get burnt by head to head. How about 3rd highest score in league and ended up with a 3-9-1 record. Try beating that one. atleast you got into the playoffs, at which point a H2H becomes a crapshoot anyways. It's part of the fun for me, playing teams every week. You think the NFL gives any consolation prices for having scored the most points for the year?!?!? There's pros and cons to all formats, however i find great joy in playing individual teams every different week...

I don't think I would play ffball if it was all just points based. I mean I would be in a league but wouldn't really spend to much time on it like I do now.

Hey wait that may be a good idea

ofcourse we all get burnt by head to head. How about 3rd highest score in league and ended up with a 3-9-1 record. Try beating that one.

I finished 11th out of 12, 5-9, with the 2nd highest points. In my only money league. Somebody actually proposed that we add a payout for the top 3 scorers because of it. Next year. So I've got that going for me. :wall:

my leagues always include a small (usually 20%) payout for high point scorer, which very often isn't the SB winner. it's a way of rewarding quality drafting and roster management, and it keeps the interest and competition level high.

for the naysayers, remember that FF is a game, not a sport. the concept of a winner-takes-all playoff makes total sense when you are betting strictly on yourself. in FF, you're betting on someone else's efforts, and you have no control over their production. the goal of a competition is to reward skill, not chance, and the high point scorer usually manifested the most skill.

YMMV

That is fantasy football. Stop whining like a little girl and learn to accept your losses. If everyone was guaranteed to win then what would be the point. You sound like a whiny 3 year old that didn't get her way.

I like H2H. It makes things interesting. That being said, I had top record and most points this year and it looks like the 8-6 team that barely made it in is going to beat me. And out of the top 4 teams in the playoffs I will have the 2nd most points this week so I would have beaten the other two teams. It's happened before and I am sure it will happen again. That is just the way it works out sometimes.

I dumped my H2H leagues years ago. H2H Leagues are for beginners and novices because they give everyone a chance.

I finished 11th out of 12, 5-9, with the 2nd highest points. In my only money league. Somebody actually proposed that we add a payout for the top 3 scorers because of it. Next year. So I've got that going for me. :wall:

top 3 is gay...

my leagues we have h2h which dictates playoffs and byes and all that, but top scorer always gets a piece of the pie. A decent piece, like 20%. I can't imagine a piece of the pie being cut off for me because I had the 2nd highest points scored, let alone 3rd! Thing is, more often than not the high pt scorer will be in the playoff hunt, just once in a while you have those years where a stud team just runs into monster weeks whichever team they play. That happened to me this year, every single week! But yea, top 3, F that. There's not enough money to go around. We already moved away from paying top 3 teams in playoffs, leaving it just to winner and runner up. Something like 60% winner, 20 runner up and 20 top scorer works for me, though I'd rather have winner get 80 and top scorer 20. Those are the 2 top dogs, everything else is 2nd place...

I dumped my H2H leagues years ago. H2H Leagues are for beginners and novices because they give everyone a chance.

i bet your league doesnt deal with TEs either right?!? And allows linepus like qb-rb-rb-rb-w-wr-wr blahblahblah. Just thats how gangsters play, everything else is for losers and noobs...

We pay out the Super Bowl winner, the total points winner, and the All Play winner. Each get a third. The same team can take all 3.

This takes some of the luck factor out in the total points and all play but leaves the luck factor in for the Super Bowl. Every team makes the playoffs. This keeps everyone interested in trading and free agency and eliminates any questionable moves.

You people that are calling him a whiner are ignorant. You can control one thing in fantasy football, your team. You can't control anything else. If u are a top 3 scorer, u should make the playoffs. That's part of the reason we play double headers each week. First matchup is normal head to head, then the top 5 in scoring that week get a win and the bottom 5 get a loss. Helps take some of the 'luck' of scheduling out and rewards high scoring consistent teams.

I have read about leagues that utilize head to head to determine the regular season champion, but use a points scoring system by week to determine who makes the playoffs and how they are seeded. For this example, let us presume it is a 10 team league. The highest scoring team each week is awarded 9 and each team below is awarded 1 less until you get to the lowest scoring team getting 0. This is a more balanced approach basing reward on consistency, not just total points.

Head to Head is just based on total luck of schedule. If you could somehow control what the other team scored it might be more like real football. What if instead of earning the points you get from your D/ST you actually deduct that amount from your opponents score? That might be interesting and would surely make the D/ST position more important during the draft.

I never thought most points meant much. One or 2 players have a break out week, and that pretty much ruins the season for everyone else. H2H, you have to compete every week. H2H is alot more strategy.

I never thought most points meant much. One or 2 players have a break out week, and that pretty much ruins the season for everyone else. H2H, you have to compete every week. H2H is alot more strategy.

H2H is nothing but pure luck of schedule! There is zero strategy in H2H formats. You have no control over what your opponent scores and when the worst team in the league beats you because they have one break out week all season then you can basically get screwed over.

Give the OP a break - weve all been there. That being said - Rotisserie leagues are about as much fun as watching a snow pattern on a TV. Yeah - draft team, submit lineup, check at end of year to see if you won the Super Bowl. Yawn.

And, lets be realistic here, what goes around comes around. Whatever luck you didnt get this year you'll likely get the following year. No way the same team gets boned over and over again even though we all seem to claim its always us. How about the fact that teams making playoff runs most certainly ran into some luck along the way to even get to the playoffs. Like you didnt eeeek out a win or two? You never got lucky with an opponent that had a bad bye-week or something? C'mon.

Of course for every "unlucky" owner ther must be a "lucky" owner that maybe stole a game from a top team. It happens in real football all the time. What if the NFL was just points based? How exciting.... :rolleyes:

I know the loss is fresh in your mind, and like I sadi, we have all been in the same situation. But, it all balances out. The statistics say it will so it will.

Rotisserie leagues suck. Might as well play fantasy baseball which is just as boring as the actual game of baseball.

i bet your league doesnt deal with TEs either right?!? And allows linepus like qb-rb-rb-rb-w-wr-wr blahblahblah. Just thats how gangsters play, everything else is for losers and noobs...

:lol: Someone had a bad season!

I have played in both types of leagues for 17 years and in a total points league the best team wins every year. If that is too tough for you, go to a H2H where everyone has a chance.

I play in one H2H league but that is a $25 "for fun" league. I don't know why any good FF owner would play in a H2H league for large sums of money.

Right...

Is a league where there are no playoffs and the best team wins every year that inconceivable to some of you? :dunno:

Head to Head is just based on total luck of schedule. If you could somehow control what the other team scored it might be more like real football. What if instead of earning the points you get from your D/ST you actually deduct that amount from your opponents score? That might be interesting and would surely make the D/ST position more important during the draft.

Huh? Unless your D/ST is gaining you points AND subtracting points from your opponent, the net effect is the same.

H2H leagues are fun. Sure, they involve some luck, but winning the championship is about the team that gets hot at the right time. Just like real sports. 9 times out of 10 the true top teams make it into the playoffs. But no, it's not always common for the #1 seed to win the championship. Just like real sports. So yeah, it doesn't hurt if the regular season points winner gets a piece of the pie, but your team needs to perform when it counts to win the whole kitten kaboodle.

Is a league where there are no playoffs and the best team wins every year that inconceivable to some of you? :dunno:

Yes. In what real sport does the best team win every year?

ofcourse we all get burnt by head to head. How about 3rd highest score in league and ended up with a 3-9-1 record. Try beating that one. atleast you got into the playoffs, at which point a H2H becomes a crapshoot anyways. It's part of the fun for me, playing teams every week. You think the NFL gives any consolation prices for having scored the most points for the year?!?!? There's pros and cons to all formats, however i find great joy in playing individual teams every different week...

This.

And eventually it evens out. Last year I was the top scorer and didn't make the playoffs but this year I was 6th in points and was the top seed. Having played a long time (I was the commissioner pulling scores from the Monday papers way back) I definitely prefer H2H if you are in a league with friends.

Yes. In what real sport does the best team win every year?

:lol: FF is not a sport, it is a form of gambling. HTH

H2H leagues are fun. Sure, they involve some luck, but winning the championship is about the team that gets hot at the right time. Just like real sports. 9 times out of 10 the true top teams make it into the playoffs. But no, it's not always common for the #1 seed to win the championship. Just like real sports. So yeah, it doesn't hurt if the regular season points winner gets a piece of the pie, but your team needs to perform when it counts to win the whole kitten kaboodle.

I agree that H2H is for the fun factor, but this comparison to REAL sports is dumb.

#1. It's FANTASY football, not REAL football

#2. In REAL football, the teams that get beat can actually influence the opposition throughout the course of a game having an effect on the outcome. They manage the actual game.

#3. In FANTASY football, once you set your lineup, you can't effect jack. You cannot mange the game. So, one bad week is NOT THE SAME in fantasy football as it is in REAL football.

#4. In FANTASY football, the best team SHOULD always win.

That said, H2H is fun and I like playing against people. So...a combo of payouts works best in the leagues I'm in.

I agree that H2H is for the fun factor, but this comparison to REAL sports is dumb.

#2. In REAL football, the teams that get beat can actually influence the opposition throughout the course of a game having an effect on the outcome. They manage the actual game.

#3. In FANTASY football, once you set your lineup, you can't effect jack. You cannot mange the game. So, one bad week is NOT THE SAME in fantasy football as it is in REAL football.

That said, H2H is fun and I like playing against people. So...a combo of payouts works best in the leagues I'm in.

:cheers:

Any league that is only based on H2H is dumb. It's all luck then.

I disagree. I have been in a league with friends for the past 20 years and the same teams are consistently the most competitive and usually at the top. Of course luck plays into it to some degree every year but the "luck factor" is usually not one sided meaning if someone has some bad luck they will eventually have better luck (provided they have decent players). This means the way the consistently good teams have drafted and play during the season (trades and WW) means they are usually the best teams even in the H2H format.

Of course, over 20 years there have been teams that had consistently bad luck the whole year or good luck the whole year but that isn't usually the case. If you have a mediocre team that just scores an average amount each week you are likely to run into the hot teams that will either 1) give you a regular season loss that will eventually add up to a bad record, and/or 2) give you a season ending loss in the playoffs. It is hard to maintain that good "luck" in beating the good teams in the league for the whole year in order to become the league champ.

Our league is a combo hth and total points. Total points is the best way to decide who did best on draft day and during the season. Hth keeps everyone interested later into the season for those who may be out of it by week 10 with respect to total points.

I know that fantasy football isn't real, but the whole point of fantasy football is for FF players to feel like they're the GM of their own team. GM's can't effect the outcome of games either. So while obviously there are a lot of aspects of FF that aren't really comparable to real football, IMO the goal is to keep it at least somewhat similar to real football. Head to head matchups and a playoff system are one way to do that.

Very sympathetic on the points thing. One of our division winners (based on H2H) finished ninth in overall scoring. Yeah, it was all luck. Really. He made the playoffs as the third seed (no bye). Fortunately, we award the three wild cards to the remaining teams with the most overall points regardless of division. He got his clock thoroughly cleaned in the first round by the sixth seed. It was his division runner-up.

This helped make the guys who finished ahead of him in scoring - but didn't make the playoffs - feel a little bit better. But not much.

Thinsg we do to even out the HTH league.

$80 entry fee

$20 a week in high weeks

$35 to total points winner

6th playoff spot if given to the team who has scored the most points that is not in the top 5 places.

So if you are that high scoring team and are just unlucky, you probably still com away with around $100 from multiple high weeks and the most points.

IMO, I would hate total points, especially for my team who started off with 125 and 139 and led scoring after the first 3 weeks.

Then of course I lose Britt and Andre Johnson. And not to long after I lose Best, Hightower, Romo's playing injured. Lose Santana Moss..etc..

I went from the highest scoring team to one of the lowest because of injuries. Got lucky on a few games where I barely squeezed by but finished 8-6 and missed out by one game.

With some of my duds in mid season I probably wouldn't have even had a chance.

But a part of me says, heck I probably drafted the 1st or 2nd best team, so I deserved to have some luck that gave me a shot at the end.

I finished strong though, beat the team last week who's looking to win it all 119-99 and this week I would've had 120 with Crabtree, but hey it's luck. Works both for you and against you.

do total points REALLY determine the best team? The highest scoring team in one of my H2H leagues is 6-8. Why? Because his team has been wildly inconsistent. He scored highest week for 3 monster weeks. While 5 other weeks, he was near the bottom of the scoring. While, I was 3rd in scoring but ended up with a 10-4 record since I was much more consistent.

at the end of the day, the most points really doesn't determine who had the best team if you consider consistency. H2H leagues will determine that.

Thinsg we do to even out the HTH league.

$80 entry fee

$20 a week in high weeks

$35 to total points winner

6th playoff spot if given to the team who has scored the most points that is not in the top 5 places.

So if you are that high scoring team and are just unlucky, you probably still com away with around $100 from multiple high weeks and the most points.

We used to do a similiar format (most points team gets 6th playoff spot - 12 team league) because one year the 2nd most points in the league ended up as 7th seed. Seemed like a reasonable rule change. Well, found out that was a rare occurence because the following year this happened:

We knew the top 5 (3 division winners and 2 better records 8-5).

The 6th final spot became tricky:

TEAM A: 7-6, 1356 points, beat team B 2x

TEAM B: 6-7, 1362 points, lost team A 2x

Well, according to our rule of most points gets 6th spot, we gave it to Team B. Now the rule didn't make sense at all.

So my point is no matter what you do, someone is going to feel screwed over.

My suggestion is this ... if your league is all about the money, than play rotisserie.

If it's about fun and everyone still has a fighting chance after Week 1, play H2H.

And I don't believe in 80/20 Superbowl payout, brutal to put it all in on one game. We use:

15% - 3 division winners after 13 weeks

5% - Week 1 playoff winners

10% - Week 2 playoff winners

20% - SuperBowl winner

It rewards the Top 3 during regular season and gives 6 teams a chance for postseason bucks.

GOOD LUCK.