Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Assuming Peyton is healthy and the colts are willing to trade him.

Granted, he's going to be 36 and only has maybe 3 or 4 quality years left

I still think they're looking at at least 2 1st rounders and some players? probably more?

I think a 1st and a conditional pick that is between a 1st and 3rd depending on performance (1st if he goes to the Super Bowl).

I think a 1st and a conditional pick that is between a 1st and 3rd depending on performance (1st if he goes to the Super Bowl).

Carson Palmer went for more than that.

This is true, but using the Raiders as the precedent for trades probably isn't a good idea. What Manning is worth is all going to come down to how comfortable a team is with his health.

This is true, but using the Raiders as the precedent for trades probably isn't a good idea. What Manning is worth is all going to come down to how comfortable a team is with his health.

They will never get fair value untill he plays some games! no team is going to give up multiple 1st rd picks till he proves he does have those 3-4 years left

My predection: he is a colt next year! Luck learns from the best, it will be 2013 when the real drama will unfold

I don't think the question is "Where will the Colts trade him?" since Jim Irsay has gone on record as saying that he'll never trade Peyton. I think he's either a member of the Colts next year or he will be released in which case he could go wherever he likes.

Either way I don't see him playing for the Jets for several reasons such as 1) He's probably too classy for Rex Ryan's insane asylum, 2) New York/New Jersey is Eli's turf. Big brother might not want to infringe.

I don't think the question is "Where will the Colts trade him?" since Jim Irsay has gone on record as saying that he'll never trade Peyton. I think he's either a member of the Colts next year or he will be released in which case he could go wherever he likes.

Either way I don't see him playing for the Jets for several reasons such as 1) He's probably too classy for Rex Ryan's insane asylum, 2) New York/New Jersey is Eli's turf. Big brother might not want to infringe.

I realize the 49ers are the 2nd seed in the NFC, and have had an amazing year. But I think they've had an amazing year in spite of their QB. I wonder how well Peyton would work with Harbaugh? That would be a really interesting situation and if it were to gel, scary good.

I realize the 49ers are the 2nd seed in the NFC, and have had an amazing year. But I think they've had an amazing year in spite of their QB. I wonder how well Peyton would work with Harbaugh? That would be a really interesting situation and if it were to gel, scary good.

S.F is definitely intriguing. Another interesting thought is Peyton in Baltimore if Flacco has a poor playoff showing.

S.F is definitely intriguing. Another interesting thought is Peyton in Baltimore if Flacco has a poor playoff showing.

The Ravens won't have the cap space to make a run at Manning, assuming they wisely tag Rice. They also need to resign guys like Ngata and have guys with large cap numbers (Boldin, for example). There's a lot that could change, but looking at teams with cap room, need at the position, and a team that Manning would want to play with I'd guess the leading contenders are the 49ers and Arizona (assuming they also address the o-line).

The Ravens won't have the cap space to make a run at Manning, assuming they wisely tag Rice. They also need to resign guys like Ngata and have guys with large cap numbers (Boldin, for example). There's a lot that could change, but looking at teams with cap room, need at the position, and a team that Manning would want to play with I'd guess the leading contenders are the 49ers and Arizona (assuming they also address the o-line).

Ngata's signed through 2015.

Because it was the Raiduhs.

Two first round picks would be my guess.

I'd be surprised if it was a lot more. I suppose there's a chance it's a little less (first and second?). He is 36 and coming off a major injury, after all.

Ngata's signed through 2015.

Sorry, I was looking at numbers from early Sept. Probably the two most significant people the Ravens need to think about are Rice (who will be franchised) and Grubbs. There's a ton of depth players coming up as UFAs this year too, and extension decisions to be made for some "name" players who will be up at the end of next season--Reed and Foxworth.

Beyond the quibbling details, the simple fact remains that the Ravens don't have the cap space to go after Manning in a trade. Very few teams do.

If Manning is healthy.

I would trade Luck instead.

Manning is a type of QB that can play well into his 40s. He doesn't get hit much, and the need for mobility isn't an issue for him.

Luck on the other hand could be a bust and god knows how many years before an organization finally gave up trying to turn a bust into a legitimate NFL starter.

If Manning is healthy.

I would trade Luck instead.

Manning is a type of QB that can play well into his 40s. He doesn't get hit much, and the need for mobility isn't an issue for him.

Luck on the other hand could be a bust and god knows how many years before an organization finally gave up trying to turn a bust into a legitimate NFL starter.

I disagree. Indy is starting over so Luck can be the new face of the organization. They should get what they can for Manning.

Manning is only 35 years old. With a healthy Manning, the Colts are a Superbowl contender for the next 5-8 years.

They have been there twice in 14 years and won it once? That is hardly a contender.

Manning is only 35 years old. With a healthy Manning, the Colts are a Superbowl contender for the next 5-8 years.

The talk on Luck is that he's a once a decade type QB. A new GM, likely a whole new coaching staff, manageable rookie contracts, and a once a decade talent at QB....the Colts would be insane to choose Manning over Luck.

Manning is going to be a question mark. We have no idea about that neck.

It's a no brainer imo.

He turns 36 in March. He will be 36 1/2 at the start of the season.

The talk on Luck is that he's a once a decade type QB. A new GM, likely a whole new coaching staff, manageable rookie contracts, and a once a decade talent at QB....the Colts would be insane to choose Manning over Luck.

It's a no brainer imo.

I agree. The neck is the clincher for me. If he was 100% healthy, I would think twice but with the question mark of his neck and (assuming) you can get something good in trade for him - you have to trade him.

It's a no brainer imo.

Agreed.

Luck is once a decade QB.

Peyton was a once a decade QB in the 90's, Eli was a once a decade QB the 00's and now it's Luck's turn.

We are talking can't miss here, you have to take him.

It's a no brainer imo.

Also on board with this. Honestly, I hope Manning retires because I'd hate to see his career end in a terrible accident. He's got nothing left to prove. As for the Colts, they need to be thinking long term. What impact will Manning starting for another 2-3 years have on the development of Luck? Is having that much money tied up at QB really putting the best team on the field? Without Manning, the Colts have a ton of cap space to build around a Luck/Garcon nucleus, adding in people through the draft and/or free agency. If I were a Colts fan, I'd temper expectations for the next year or two in anticipation of having a dominate QB at the helm for (yet another) decade.

They have been there twice in 14 years and won it once? That is hardly a contender.

How many 10+ wins season?

How many playoff appearance?

Ya, they're contenders year in and year out even though they only been in the superbowl twice.

Again, 'IF HEALTHY', you are talking about potentially in his prime trading the best passing QB in the history of the game so you can start another once in a decade QB in A. Luck.

Wasn't Ryan Leaf a once in a decade QB?

What about Akili Smith?

What about Akili Smith?

No and No. :mellow:

What about Akili Smith?

Where they drafted #1 overall?

A once in a decade QB gets drafted #1 overall and are also talked widely about being a once in a decade QB

Elway, Peyton, Eli.

Sure there are plenty of great QBs in the nfl right now. Brees, Rodgers, Brady. None of them were ever talked about as being a once in decade QB or drafted #1 overall.

Once in a decade QB?

Ha! Then what about Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Rivers, Eli, Big Ben, M. Stafford & Cam Newton over the past 6-8 years???

From what I've read Luck compares to John Elway coming out of college, he has zero question marks. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. Of the guys you mention, Eli, Stafford and Newton I believe were all taken at the top, yet all of them had perceived weaknesses. The other guys you listed aren't even in the discussion.

We're talking about before they hit the NFL turf here. Luck is supposed to be the ultimate QB with smarts, size, arm, pocket presence, athletic ability, and intangibles. He has no weakness according to scouts.

I think a question the Colts have to ask themselves is how far removed from a truly competitive team are they even if Peyton returns to 100%?

I know they can compete for the playoffs again, and have a good offense, but is their defense up to championship level right now?

Objectively I'd have to put them below:

New England

Pitt

Baltimore

Houston

and maybe

San Diego

NY Jets

I think a question the Colts have to ask themselves is how far removed from a truly competitive team are they even if Peyton returns to 100%?

I know they can compete for the playoffs again, and have a good offense, but is their defense up to championship level right now?

Objectively I'd have to put them below:

New England

Pitt

Baltimore

Houston

and maybe

San Diego

NY Jets

I do not think they are championship level with him. That team was on the decline (you saw glimpses of it the year before). They are probably still a 9+ win team with him, but even if they got into the playoffs they are no longer stacked enough to go beyond that.

Where they drafted #1 overall?

A once in a decade QB gets drafted #1 overall and are also talked widely about being a once in a decade QB

Elway, Peyton, Eli.

Sure there are plenty of great QBs in the nfl right now. Brees, Rodgers, Brady. None of them were ever talked about as being a once in decade QB or drafted #1 overall.

I don't recall anyone referring to Eli as a once in a decade QB when he was coming out. No one thought he was as good as his brother.....ever.

List of all the QB taken first overall since 1980, i'm sure every team that made these picks thought their guy was a once in a 'decade' guy...

1983 John Elway

1987 Vinny Testaverde

1989 Troy Aikman

1990 Jeff George

1993 Drew Bledsoe

1998 Peyton Manning

1999 Tim Couch

2001 Michael Vick

2002 David Carr

2003 Carson Palmer

2004 Eli Manning

2005 Alex Smith

2007 JaMarcus Russell

2009 Matthew Stafford

2010 Sam Bradford

2011 Cam Newton

List of all the QB taken first overall since 1980, i'm sure every team that made these picks thought their guy was a once in a 'decade' guy...

1983 John Elway

1987 Vinny Testaverde

1989 Troy Aikman

1990 Jeff George

1993 Drew Bledsoe

1998 Peyton Manning

1999 Tim Couch

2001 Michael Vick

2002 David Carr

2003 Carson Palmer

2004 Eli Manning

2005 Alex Smith

2007 JaMarcus Russell

2009 Matthew Stafford

2010 Sam Bradford

2011 Cam Newton

There is a difference between "Once in decade" player and the "best player that particular year."

The only guys on that list that I recall being referred to "Once in a Decade" were Elway, Manning and Vick. Even with Manning, there was the debate between he and Leaf.

A lot of the other guys had plenty of criticism along with the pick (i.e. Carr, Smith, Russell, Newton, Bradford, Couch, Testeverde). Look at Newton, there was FAR from a consensus on whether he would be any good, much less a once in a decade kind of player.

1983 John Elway

1987 Vinny Testaverde

1989 Troy Aikman

1990 Jeff George

1993 Drew Bledsoe

1998 Peyton Manning

1999 Tim Couch

2001 Michael Vick

2002 David Carr

2003 Carson Palmer

2004 Eli Manning

2005 Alex Smith

2007 JaMarcus Russell

2009 Matthew Stafford

2010 Sam Bradford

2011 Cam Newton

This list covers 3 decades and contains 3 "once a decade" types. :dunno:

I don't recall anyone referring to Eli as a once in a decade QB when he was coming out. No one thought he was as good as his brother.....ever.

He didn't want to play for San Diego an thus San Diego was forced to trade him.

That seems like can't miss to me.

if he wasn't can't miss, why didn't they pick someone else?

He didn't want to play for San Diego an thus San Diego was forced to trade him.

That seems like can't miss to me.

if he wasn't can't miss, why didn't they pick someone else?

As I said earlier, there is a difference between "once in a decade" and "the best THAT year."

Eli was viewed as the best player in THAT draft, but one of the best for the decade. While I think he was viewed better than some of the #1 picks were (Carr, Smith), no one was viewing him the way Luck is being view now.

As I said earlier, there is a difference between "once in a decade" and "the best THAT year."

Eli was viewed as the best player in THAT draft, but one of the best for the decade. While I think he was viewed better than some of the #1 picks were (Carr, Smith), no one was viewing him the way Luck is being view now.

Like I was saying before......from what I've read, he's being compared to John Elway the most because I believe Horseface may have been the biggest "can't miss" prospect coming out of college in the last 30 years. I don't think anyone else since matches it, not even Peyton.