Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

TBBOM's Semi-Daily Top 10

Was puttering around and came across this. It's interesting to contrast the "expert" opinions with those on this bored:

Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums

Their Top 10:

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

2. Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys

3. Revolver - The Beatles

4. Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan

5. Rubber Soul - The Beatles

6. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

7. Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones

8. London Calling - The Clash

9. Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan

10. The Beatles - The Beatles ("White Album")

Some obvious Beatles nuthuggery going on over at Rolling Stone, though all those picks are solid IMO. I have always liked Marvin Gaye but his appearance in the top 6 is a bit curious. And The Beach Boys at #2? Really? :rolleyes:

Was puttering around and came across this. It's interesting to contrast the "expert" opinions with those on this bored:

Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums

Their Top 10:

Some obvious Beatles nuthuggery going on over at Rolling Stone, though all those picks are solid IMO. I have always liked Marvin Gaye but his appearance in the top 6 is a bit curious. And The Beach Boys at #2? Really? :rolleyes:

Pet sounds always garners much hype. I have always considered it to be over blown. I think it gets more credit for its influential elements rather then the quailty of its songs.

I am unsure how someone my age (34 years old) can include classic rock albums. Yes, I can look back and say Magical Mystery Tour, Morrison Hotel, Wish You Were Here, etc were worthy of top 10 consideration. But when you discover a band's entire catalog at once, you are never required to spend a year with just one album. And that's when you really see how good an album was.

Thus my list is comprised of albums I was able to buy when they came out. Thus I experienced them in their natural habitat.

This is a great point.

I'm so focking old that I bought seven of my choices when they were released,however,it just hit me yesterday that I should've added Dire Straits Making Movies.

Pet sounds always garners much hype. I have always considered it to be over blown. I think it gets more credit for its influential elements rather then the quailty of its songs.

You're right, Pet Sounds gets a lot of credit because it has a lot of (at the time) novel musical arrangements and whatnot that the average listner would never hear. That said, "God Only Knows" is one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.

Its a lot like how Dark Side of The Moon gets a lot of hype (not that it doesn't deserve some mind you) because its production and stereo and whatnot was revolutionary. It was the album used in high end stereo stores to demo equipment for years.

I am unsure how someone my age (34 years old) can include classic rock albums. Yes, I can look back and say Magical Mystery Tour, Morrison Hotel, Wish You Were Here, etc were worthy of top 10 consideration. But when you discover a band's entire catalog at once, you are never required to spend a year with just one album. And that's when you really see how good an album was.

Yeah, I am only 32, and prior to about age 27, I had never listened to any of the classics, except as some compilations. I went back and listened to the albums as they were intended, and got really into classic rock. Back then, and album was a self contained piece of art. It seems like now its just a random collection of songs in most cases.

Yeah, I am only 32, and prior to about age 27, I had never listened to any of the classics, except as some compilations. I went back and listened to the albums as they were intended, and got really into classic rock. Back then, and album was a self contained piece of art. It seems like now its just a random collection of songs in most cases.

I am 32 as well. How ever pretty much all I listened to until about age 10 was my Dads albums. At that age I could name just about every song on classic rock radio. The first new album I heard was Joshua Tree.

Your right. A lot of artist just throw songs together. How ever, there are still many artist that no how to put a whole album together. Eminem does well with that as did 2 pac. I think Jack Johnson does a great job of it.

I think Jack Johnson does a great job of it.

I agree, and there are many others. It frustrates the hell out of me to see all this garbage like Katie Perry and Pit Bull and LMFAO and Lady Gaga everywhere, winning all the focking awards, while guys/bands like Jack Johnson, Arcade Fire, The Shins (defunct), Belle & Sebastian, The Decembrists, I could go on all day, you have to really dig to hear about at all.

Oh, and we will be visiting albums and whatnot many times. We will do lists by decade, most underrated, etc. and so on as these threads progress. I just thought it made the most sense to start with the very basics.

Rolling Stone for the most part is comprised of ghey libtard dooshes who live in a flat on Manhattan's East side (haha,...heard that in a movie) chain smoking, scab eating 99%ers just like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame twits that haven't a clue.

That being said.... :lol: .....4 Beatles Albums, 2 Bob Dylan Albums, 1 Marvin Gaye & The Clash :mad: in the Top 10 of all time ???

Beatles YES :cheers: .....but 4 ???.....no :nono: .....only 3 ( toss the White )

And this just in.....The CLASH BLOWS !!!!! "London Calling" & "Rock the Casbah" are 2 of the worst train wreck "Hits" i've ever heard,....highly overrated garBAGE'

:P

I agree, and there are many others. It frustrates the hell out of me to see all this garbage like Katie Perry and Pit Bull and LMFAO and Lady Gaga everywhere, winning all the focking awards, while guys/bands like Jack Johnson, Arcade Fire, The Shins (defunct), Belle & Sebastian, The Decembrists, I could go on all day, you have to really dig to hear about at all.

Oh, and we will be visiting albums and whatnot many times. We will do lists by decade, most underrated, etc. and so on as these threads progress. I just thought it made the most sense to start with the very basics.

The Shins are back!

new Shins song and album

Rolling Stone for the most part is comprised of ghey libtard dooshes who live in a flat on Manhattan's East side (haha,...heard that in a movie) chain smoking, scab eating 99%ers just like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame twits that haven't a clue.

That being said.... :lol: .....4 Beatles Albums, 2 Bob Dylan Albums, 1 Marvin Gaye & The Clash :mad: in the Top 10 of all time ???

Beatles YES :cheers: .....but 4 ???.....no :nono: .....only 3 ( toss the White )

And this just in.....The CLASH BLOWS !!!!! "London Calling" & "Rock the Casbah" are 2 of the worst train wreck "Hits" i've ever heard,....highly overrated garBAGE'

One of the things that is hard in ranking albums is how much to value the "contribution" factor.

As example, take Elvis. Now I hate Elvis' music. I would never voluntarily listen to it. But I bet if I had been a teenager when he came out, it would have blown my doors off. Why? Because it was WOW at the time. It was new, different, and it changed the game.

The same is true of many artists that we may, today, say aren't that intrinsically good. But much of the stuff we DO think is great would not exist but for the Elvis' and the Buddy Hollys' and whoever else of the world.

Take Dylan. His voice blows, and much of his music is minimalist as it gets. But he basically invented a new genre, or at least brought one to the forefront.

So how much do you value that? It varies of course, person to person. And obviously, a person who heard "Times They Are a Changin" or "Masters Of War" in the 1960's was probably much more affected and "spoken to" by them than I was listening in 2007.

cbfalcon, you just made my focking day! I love the shins! :banana:

Yeah, I love them as well. In hindsight I should have made room for Chutes Too Narrow in my album list as it's easily in my all time top 5. I was obsessed with it for years.

Rock the Casbah is one of the dumbest songs on the Clash's worst album.

London Calling has maybe 3 mediocre songs out of 18 on the album, and about 10 (Guns of Brixton, Death or Glory, Revolution Rock, etc.) that are flat out awesome.

London Calling has 18 flat out awesome songs out of 18 on the album.

Fixed

Fixed

I have a couple I don't like - Brand New Cadillac (why?) comes to mind.

Otherwise it's hit after hit. Anyone who thinks London Calling sucks has never listened to it straight through once.

London Calling has maybe 3 mediocre songs out of 18 on the album, and about 10 (Guns of Brixton, Death or Glory, Revolution Rock, etc.) that are flat out awesome.

actually today i listened to "London Calling",....it's not a bad song really, it's their Vocals that bug the chit out of me. Seriously, i can't stand that drunken thug broken bottle tough guy attitude / sound. He sounds like Hank the Angry Dwarf....

So i probably wouldn't like ANY of their junk. :lol: .......even though Hank was a riot

London Calling is easily my favorite Clash song, although I'd be hard pressed to name five, so that's not saying much. I love the strident guitar coupled with that wicked bass line. Good stuff.

London Calling is easily my favorite Clash song, although I'd be hard pressed to name five, so that's not saying much. I love the strident guitar coupled with that wicked bass line. Good stuff.

You should buy the album. London Calling is only one of many great great songs on the record, seriously. :thumbsup: Actually, but Live From Here to Eternity instead. It's one of the best live albums I've ever heard and maybe even a better introduction to a mighty mighty band. The Clash were just awesome.

These are the ten that come to mind at the moment:

Stones - Goat's Head Soup

Zappa - Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation

AC/DC - Back in Black

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication

Rush - Moving Pictures

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Black Sabath - Paranoid

CCR - Willie an the Poor Boys

ZZTop - Tres Hombre

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood

2. The Toadies - Rubberneck

Seriously underrated album. Tyler is still one of my favorite songs.

Heres my list

#1 by a wide margin....Tool - Undertow

The other 9 in no particular order

Toadies - Rubberneck

Afghan Whigs - Congregation

In Flames - Soundtrack to Your Escape

Dredg - Leitmotif

Monster Magnet - Powertrip

Blind Melon - Blind Melon

REM - Green

Alice In Chains - Dirt

They Might Be Giants - Lincoln

I could have just put all of Tool's albums in there, or any of REM's cds pre-Monster, or any of Monster Magnets cds, but what fun is that?

Some of these albums are just ones i listened to until the cd wore out (Rubberneck, Leitmotif, Blind Melon), but a few are important to me because they changed my musical direction. Before REM Green, all i listened to was top 40 radio crap. My brother brought home a copied cassette of Green when we were in high school and opened a door to a whole world of music i had no idea existed for me. Tool's Undertow opened my eyes to the beauty of heavier music. In Flames started me down the path to full on metal. Im sure i forgot some....this is just mostly off the top of my head.

In no particular order...

Pearl Jam - Ten

AC/DC - Back in Black

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Nirvana - Nevermind

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Guns and Roses - Appetite for destruction

Beastie Boys - License to Ill

Rage against the Machine - Rage against the Machine

Def Leopard - Hysteria

Bon Jovi -Slippery whan Wet

These are the ten that come to mind at the moment:

Stones - Goat's Head Soup

Zappa - Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation

AC/DC - Back in Black

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication

Rush - Moving Pictures

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Black Sabath - Paranoid

CCR - Willie an the Poor Boys

ZZTop - Tres Hombre

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood

Apostrophe and Overnite Sensation are two different albums, released in '74 and '73 respectively. Somewhere along the line they got lumped together on a cd release.

No particular order

Paul's Boutique -Beastie Boys

Reign in Blood - Slayer

Master of Puppets - Metallica

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

The Age of Quarrel - Cro-Mags

Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin

Elephant - The White Stripes

Back in Black - AC/DC

Blind Melon - Blind Melon

Frizzle Fry - Primus

Edited by kutulu