Sign in to follow this  
Know Doubt

$13k Hospital Bill for 24 Hour Stay...?

if you lived in Massachusetts when you filed your taxes you would pay a hefty penalty for not having insurance for at least 9 out of the 12 months of the year.

When I was doing my taxes, I purposely put in I had no insurance to see the penalty and my refund went from +180 to -600.

if I had no insurance I would have had to pay the state of mass 800 bucks? What the fock is that? Thank you Mitt Scumney :thumbsdown:

Au contraire, my friend. You are getting a tax credit because you DO have insurance.

if you lived in Massachusetts when you filed your taxes you would pay a hefty penalty for not having insurance for at least 9 out of the 12 months of the year.

When I was doing my taxes, I purposely put in I had no insurance to see the penalty and my refund went from +180 to -600.

if I had no insurance I would have had to pay the state of mass 800 bucks? What the fock is that? Thank you Mitt Scumney :thumbsdown:

Romneycare = Obamacare

Romney=Obama

I don't see why people are so riled up about making sure Obama is not elected when the other choice is likely to be Romney. They might as well be clones.

Romneycare = Obamacare

Romney=Obama

I don't see why people are so riled up about making sure Obama is not elected when the other choice is likely to be Romney. They might as well be clones.

Romney has actually accomplished something in the real world. Something Obama didn't have on his resume prior to being elected.

One issue does not = clones. :rolleyes:

Au contraire, my friend. You are getting a tax credit because you DO have insurance.

That is an outright lie.

Before Mittcare I always got back around 300 bucks on my state taxes when I didn't have insurance.

I have insurance and am getting back the same 300.

If I did not have insurance I would have to pay 600? That is a penalty, not a tax break.

That is an outright lie.

Before Mittcare I always got back around 300 bucks on my state taxes when I didn't have insurance.

I have insurance and am getting back the same 300.

If I did not have insurance I would have to pay 600? That is a penalty, not a tax break.

I was giving you the political slant on it. You can call it either and it still means that you pay if you don't have insurance. ;)

As for China, I've had two babies born in China

How did they taste?

First, the hospital already knows that the sleazebag insurance company is going to only pay a percentage of the bill sent. The hospital counters that by overinflating the bill. While this is going on, 3 crack heads came in who either OD’d or were shot. Since they won’t be paying, the hospital is passing off that cost somewhere. On top of this, some scumbag attorney is sitting down with one of their patients to see if there is a way to sue the hospital for whatever happened there. As the hospital cannot discern if you are a scumbag, they preemptively run more tests on you and every other patient to avoid the aforementioned scumbag attorney. On top of this, there is a host of people that fall into 3 categories. The first isn’t really sick; they ate too much and are confusing stomach aches with a heart attacks. The second did something truly stupid like pick their nose with a paring knife. The last type of person and the smallest population is you; someone is who honestly sick and a nondipshit.

Health care is full of scumbag attorneys, sleazy insurance companies and ignorant masses. That’s why it cost $13,000. Ignorance and greed are friggen expensive.

First, the hospital already knows that the sleazebag insurance company is going to only pay a percentage of the bill sent. The hospital counters that by overinflating the bill. While this is going on, 3 crack heads came in who either OD’d or were shot. Since they won’t be paying, the hospital is passing off that cost somewhere. On top of this, some scumbag attorney is sitting down with one of their patients to see if there is a way to sue the hospital for whatever happened there. As the hospital cannot discern if you are a scumbag, they preemptively run more tests on you and every other patient to avoid the aforementioned scumbag attorney. On top of this, there is a host of people that fall into 3 categories. The first isn’t really sick; they ate too much and are confusing stomach aches with a heart attacks. The second did something truly stupid like pick their nose with a paring knife. The last type of person and the smallest population is you; someone is who honestly sick and a nondipshit.

Health care is full of scumbag attorneys, sleazy insurance companies and ignorant masses. That’s why it cost $13,000. Ignorance and greed are friggen expensive.

This guy gets it :thumbsup:

I'm working my way up! <_<

I started with a Sgt, then a SSgt, another SSgt. and now I'm up to a Major...

...we'll see if I get what I'm asking for(a copy services and of the charges).

:bandana:

I had an ER visit in early January. I did t even stay over night. Had a few blood tests, had a line (iv) put in, had an X-ray, a dose of Ativan and a GI cocktail (mixture of painkiller, mylanta, and one other thing all in a nice yummy drink). The hospital, which was out o network since I belong to an HMO, but their ER is five minutes from my house...billed my HMO $8000. My HMO paid around $5000, and my portion ends up being around $1400.

I have seen the itemized reciepts and the charge for one of the blood tests was over $400. I have an idea which one...but that to me is ridiculous. They are all ready putting a line in, an they are all ready there doing a CBC, unless the test itself uses some other chemical....who knows.

Makes me really think twice about using the nearest ER.

I had an ER visit in early January. I did t even stay over night. Had a few blood tests, had a line (iv) put in, had an X-ray, a dose of Ativan and a GI cocktail (mixture of painkiller, mylanta, and one other thing all in a nice yummy drink). The hospital, which was out o network since I belong to an HMO, but their ER is five minutes from my house...billed my HMO $8000. My HMO paid around $5000, and my portion ends up being around $1400.

I have seen the itemized reciepts and the charge for one of the blood tests was over $400. I have an idea which one...but that to me is ridiculous. They are all ready putting a line in, an they are all ready there doing a CBC, unless the test itself uses some other chemical....who knows.

Makes me really think twice about using the nearest ER.

You should think twice. The "E" in ER stands for emergency.

BTW toxicology screens are expensive.

Without rehashing my medical history, I had a valid medical emergency in November. If the treatment they have me on wasn't working, then going to the ER in January for shortness of breath and heart palpitations could have been a medical emergency.

As far as I am aware the tests they didn't weren't checking for any kind of toxicity in my body. They were checking to see how quickly my blood is clotting, and if I had a positive d-dimer (the one that checks for blood clots). I am on a treatment that makes it a bit more difficult for my body to form blood clots, but it's not unheard of for people to still create clots when they are on the treatment/medication. It's rare, but it happens especially if you have some kind of underlying clotting disorder (which my doctor's haven't tested me for, and really don't know if I do).

While hindsight is 20/20, sure, my visit to the ER wasn't warranted. However, also given the history, it could have been worse if it ended up being something serious.

Also, I am not complaining about having to pay my $1400. I am just stating that the costs are outrageous and makes me think twice about seeing a doctor. Which in turn can be bad for me if there is a serious medical issue that needs to be addressed.

People shouldn't have to worry about going broke because they broke an arm or need some kind of surgery to get rid of chronic pain...or whatever.

I shouldn't have to worry that if I have shortness of breath and chest pain that it might cost my family thousands...just so I can live.

It sucks. But...it is as it is...until it changes.

I do not think that ObamaCare is the answer. I think reform is, but not ObamaCare.

Without rehashing my medical history, I had a valid medical emergency in November. If the treatment they have me on wasn't working, then going to the ER in January for shortness of breath and heart palpitations could have been a medical emergency.

As far as I am aware the tests they didn't weren't checking for any kind of toxicity in my body. They were checking to see how quickly my blood is clotting, and if I had a positive d-dimer (the one that checks for blood clots). I am on a treatment that makes it a bit more difficult for my body to form blood clots, but it's not unheard of for people to still create clots when they are on the treatment/medication. It's rare, but it happens especially if you have some kind of underlying clotting disorder (which my doctor's haven't tested me for, and really don't know if I do).

While hindsight is 20/20, sure, my visit to the ER wasn't warranted. However, also given the history, it could have been worse if it ended up being something serious.

Right, you had recurrent DVT/PE if I recall correctly. You don't need tests to determine if you have a clotting disorder, unless you are concerned about the chances of passing it on to your children. There are DVT/PE guidelines which suggest testing for clotting disorders is extraneous in any event as it does not change the management (indefinite anticoagulation) for recurrent clots. D-dimer is a nonspecific test, which may not have been necessary. It does not exclude a clot in someone with a high risk, as is probably the case with you.

Also, I am not complaining about having to pay my $1400. I am just stating that the costs are outrageous and makes me think twice about seeing a doctor. Which in turn can be bad for me if there is a serious medical issue that needs to be addressed.

People shouldn't have to worry about going broke because they broke an arm or need some kind of surgery to get rid of chronic pain...or whatever.

I shouldn't have to worry that if I have shortness of breath and chest pain that it might cost my family thousands...just so I can live.

It sucks. But...it is as it is...until it changes.

I do not think that ObamaCare is the answer. I think reform is, but not ObamaCare.

How much should it cost?

Right, you had recurrent DVT/PE if I recall correctly. You don't need tests to determine if you have a clotting disorder, unless you are concerned about the chances of passing it on to your children. There are DVT/PE guidelines which suggest testing for clotting disorders is extraneous in any event as it does not change the management (indefinite anticoagulation) for recurrent clots. D-dimer is a nonspecific test, which may not have been necessary. It does not exclude a clot in someone with a high risk, as is probably the case with you.How much should it cost?

I don't have a recurrent anything and they never found a DVT. I had a PE once in November. The d-dimer is what came back elevated in Nov when I went to the ER, it's the only test they did to see what was going on, since I had one small risk factor, no one suspected a PE when I walked in there.

If I have a clotting disorder they never test for, it's my job to sit back and see if it happens again? Perhaps next time I won't be as lucky...doesn't seem very fair, IMO. Why wouldn't I be afraid of passing something like this to my kids? I wouldn't wish this whole experience on anyone, especially them.

In terms of how much it should cost, I don't know....but it should be a lot less than what it is.

I don't think you can fault TNG for going to the er. She just had an incident where she hesitated but finally went to the er and found out she could have died if she hadn't gone. You gotta cut her a little slack if she notices a little breathing difficulties and heads right off to the ER. That being said, going to the ER is a judgement call. You get people who will go if they feel a twinge in their elbow, you have people who won't go even if they feel like their hearts are about to explode, and they you get the people who go to get routine medical treatment because they are uninsured.

I wish they would pass some tort reform to eliminate some unnecessary testing. Hopefully Obamacare will stop the flow of the uninsured going to the ER's for routine medical attention. The prices are outrageous. I guess the insurance companies are unable to squeeze the ER's like they squeeze the General practitioners. I think thats because no one is going to want to buy health insurance that will not cover the cost of going to the nearest ER. Cause lets face it, in an emergency you're not scanning the internet looking for a hospital that your insurance plan covers, you are heading to the closest hospital.

I don't think you can fault TNG for going to the er. She just had an incident where she hesitated but finally went to the er and found out she could have died if she hadn't gone. You gotta cut her a little slack if she notices a little breathing difficulties and heads right off to the ER. That being said, going to the ER is a judgement call. You get people who will go if they feel a twinge in their elbow, you have people who won't go even if they feel like their hearts are about to explode, and they you get the people who go to get routine medical treatment because they are uninsured.

I wish they would pass some tort reform to eliminate some unnecessary testing. Hopefully Obamacare will stop the flow of the uninsured going to the ER's for routine medical attention. The prices are outrageous. I guess the insurance companies are unable to squeeze the ER's like they squeeze the General practitioners. I think thats because no one is going to want to buy health insurance that will not cover the cost of going to the nearest ER. Cause lets face it, in an emergency you're not scanning the internet looking for a hospital that your insurance plan covers, you are heading to the closest hospital.

Thank you, and exactly.

When I went to the ER in November, it was Thanksgiving Day. I ran my 5 miles, I was all set to pig out and get drunk with the family. I cried through the pain on the drive to my mom's house, and I continued to him and haw about going. When I laid down and breathing got worse...I went.

When I went in January, I really wasn't sure WTF was going on, but being concerned about another PE or even heart problems totally went through my mind. At that point, it was better safe than sorry, IMO.

D-dimer is a nonspecific test, which may not have been necessary. It does not exclude a clot in someone with a high risk, as is probably the case with you.

I also realize that the d-dimer isn't specific, but...in my case...they would have sent me home had they not done that test. I wouldn't have gotten the heparin injection, and I could have died from heart failure within a few hours. While my blood clots were 'very small' there were several and there was intense pain (meaning that my lung tissue was dying off/infarction).

All of my other labs were fine, and I had slight tachycardia. My BP was around 110/70, and my pulse was 80 (although mine is usually closer to 60, so 80 was elevated in my opinion). These are all well within normal limits. My EKG was also fine. I was not pale and I walked from the car into the ER. They only put me in a wheel chair after triage/registration. I also was able to get up and walk around after they gave me dulodid (sp) for the pain. Once I was given the pain killer, I felt instantly better.

But...when someone presents in the ER with intense side/flank pain and shortness of breath, but they aren't the typical PE patient, do you eliminate the ONE test that might tell you something is going on?

Do what messicans do. Next time you go to the hospital, give a fake name, that way it's all FREE! :pointstosky:

Fixed

I don't have a recurrent anything and they never found a DVT. I had a PE once in November. The d-dimer is what came back elevated in Nov when I went to the ER, it's the only test they did to see what was going on, since I had one small risk factor, no one suspected a PE when I walked in there.

If I have a clotting disorder they never test for, it's my job to sit back and see if it happens again? Perhaps next time I won't be as lucky...doesn't seem very fair, IMO. Why wouldn't I be afraid of passing something like this to my kids? I wouldn't wish this whole experience on anyone, especially them.

In terms of how much it should cost, I don't know....but it should be a lot less than what it is.

Almost everyone with a PE had a DVT - the clots usually migrate from the legs to the lungs. I mistakenly thought it was recurrent; if not, a D-dimer might be a useful test. I qualify that because the test is still nonspecific, and often ordered unnecessarily. Also, you have a higher clotting risk than the average bear a priori (because of your PE), which may make the clinical suspicion for PE high enough that other tests are necessary. In other words, negative D-dimer may not exclude a clot if there are other findings which suggest a DVT or PE.

As far as the tests looking for a clotting disorder, the knowledge gained rarely changes the way the disease is managed. If your first clot was unprovoked (no clear precipitant) the recommendation is you take blood thinners for 6 mos, or longer if your bleeding risk is low. And knowledge of a potential clotting disorder won't change things for your kids either, unless they have a clot, too. The doctors won't start a blood thinner just because of their genetic risk.

Bottom line: Those blood tests cost $$$, and have little impact on how you or your family will be treated. Tests like these add expense without clinical benefit. Unfortunately, peace of mind is not always a justifiable medical expense.

But...when someone presents in the ER with intense side/flank pain and shortness of breath, but they aren't the typical PE patient, do you eliminate the ONE test that might tell you something is going on?

It's not the only test, but you misunderstand my point: now that you've had a PE, the utility of that test is less. At your initial presentation it was perfectly reasonable.

I was admittedly being snarky, but was pointing out that going to the ER shouldn't be taken lightly (the toxicology test was a joke as well). I didn't know her symptoms when she initially posted, BTW. In any event, by modified Well's criteria, she should have had a CTA or V/Q scan if the ED docs were worried about a PE.

Use of the ED is ridiculous, and I don't think it will change much under the ACA. I don't think lack of insurance prompts most ED use; rather, little accountability for the expense + medical ignorance fuels its abuse. We can't expect people to understand all of medicine, of course. And defensive medicine is so ingrained in medical culture that I'm not sure tort reform will help much either. I agree that emergency medical care is unaffordable to most people. But empowering insurance companies, who ultimately seek profit, is not the answer.