Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official Seattle Seahawks Thread 2012***

Jason Jones, D-lineman, signs one year deal with Seattle, per his agent's Twitter. More details will be coming.

CB Corey Graham from Chicago Bears will be visiting Sunday.

Jason Jones, D-lineman, signs one year deal with Seattle, per his agent's Twitter. More details will be coming.

$4.5 million guaranteed, $0.5 million in incentives possible. A show-me contract and good value I think.

Sounds like a decent signing. Should send Branch to the bench, he's better served as a rotation tackle rather then a starter. Jones gives us a little extra pass rush up the middle. It's said that his decline in production was a result of him bouncing out to end and not being played to his strengths ala Brandon Mebane a few years ago.

Now we just need to draft the next Mario Williams.

Just saw a rumor on Fieldgulls that they are interested in Tolbert too.

$4.5 million guaranteed, $0.5 million in incentives possible. A show-me contract and good value I think.

Only a 1 year deal. Seems kind of strange to me?

I think this means a DE with that 12th pick is finally a real possability.

CB Corey Graham from Chicago Bears will be visiting Sunday.

If I remember correctly. He's a special teams ace?

I'd be in favor of this signing over bringing Bigby back, he'd be like a younger version.

Only a 1 year deal. Seems kind of strange to me?

I think this means a DE with that 12th pick is finally a real possability.

The knock on him apparently is that he's inconsistent. The 1-yr deal probably implies a conversation something like this: "you see how we take care of our own when they excel. Marshawn Lynch. Red Bryant. Have a great season and you'll get a longer-term deal."

I think you're right, a DE or someone who is a combo DE/OLB is a very likely use of the 1st rd pick. Hopefully after trading down, but someone has to want to trade up.

If I remember correctly. He's a special teams ace?

I'd be in favor of this signing over bringing Bigby back, he'd be like a younger version.

Bigby signed with the Chargers I think.

The knock on him apparently is that he's inconsistent. The 1-yr deal probably implies a conversation something like this: "you see how we take care of our own when they excel. Marshawn Lynch. Red Bryant. Have a great season and you'll get a longer-term deal."

I think you're right, a DE or someone who is a combo DE/OLB is a very likely use of the 1st rd pick. Hopefully after trading down, but someone has to want to trade up.

Clemmons,Bryant,MeBanne,Jones is not too bad.

Branch and Hargrove off the bench is pretty nice too.

If we could draft a nice DE, or a combo kid, that'll be a great line.

Anyone think Carroll could be looking at Nick Perry? He could be there at 12.

Alex Smith to visit Seattle

Please god no! Here's to hoping its just due diligence on everybody that's available. :cry:

And what a whiny little tw@t. You've had one good year you overpaid, tard-faced little b!tch. If he was smart he would have signed the first offer the Niners made him.

Wow. Flynnsanity arrives in Seattle. I didn't think this would transaction happen. Unexpected. Well, this certainly qualifies as a splashy move.

And mega h0m0s to Peyton Manning, holding the league hostage with his arrogant "Look At Me!!!! tour.

Do we now offer Tarvaris Jackson to Miami in a trade, or are they already underway with the "Blow For Barkley 2013" campaign?

Do we now offer Tarvaris Jackson to Miami in a trade, or are they already underway with the "Blow For Barkley 2013" campaign?

Fock it. He's on the hook for one more season, keep him around as a backup.

Flynn looks like a doppelganger of Matt Damon. The Bourne Flynnsanity.

As long as he stays away from Team America World Police where he was a drooling retard.

Looks like Seattle got Flynn: espn link

Terrible. At least the contract #s look favorable. So now the Hawks have a slow-footed, noodle arm starting at QB. And this will almost certainly mean they won't address the QB position in the first three rounds of this year's draft. Terrible.

Terrible. At least the contract #s look favorable. So now the Hawks have a slow-footed, noodle arm starting at QB. And this will almost certainly mean they won't address the QB position in the first three rounds of this year's draft. Terrible.

At this point, I'd say that after Luck and Griffin, I don't think I want a QB this year in the first 3 rounds. At this point, I'd much rather draft a guy next year, much better projected QB class. So, no pressure to reach for a project with little upside this year, and just draft best player available with a concentration on defense. Flynn is certainly a huge question mark, I'm not necessarily a fan of his up until now and may never be, but he is at least 2 or 3 years further along than a rookie QB and I'll see what he can do. I'm pleasantly surprised at how Carroll and Schneider, after the Whitehurst fiasco, are acquiring guys at reasonable prices over and over again.

Resign Lynch before free agency, resign Red Bryant, sign Jason Jones, and potentially, key word is potentially, land a good starting QB for a reasonable price. Quietly, it's been a successful offseason so far. Just need to resign Gallery for a cheaper price, and I'm doing the happy dance.

You are wrong on both accounts! Flynn has a good arm IMO and can move in the pocket. Not sure what you're watching.

And also, we could still spend a draft pick in the 2nd or 3rd round on a rookie QB "if" we wanted too.

That being said, I've done some scouting and research this weekend and there is NO good QB options in the first 3 rounds of this draft. Garbage. There is nobody worth it, especially the bust that is Tannehill. But, the guy you like (Kirk Cousins) is also lousy. We will be better served to draft some sleepers in rounds 3-6 of this draft.

And now that we have Flynn, we can do this. But, I still like Flynn to be a Hass/Shaub or better.

This is a great move for Seattle! Good job Hawks!

I am so happy..... :headbanger: :cheers:

Also, it was a good contract and we can easily get out of this and not hurt our team. This is a no risk move with huge payoff potential.

At this point, I'd say that after Luck and Griffin, I don't think I want a QB this year in the first 3 rounds. At this point, I'd much rather draft a guy next year, much better projected QB class. So, no pressure to reach for a project with little upside this year, and just draft best player available with a concentration on defense. Flynn is certainly a huge question mark, I'm not necessarily a fan of his up until now and may never be, but he is at least 2 or 3 years further along than a rookie QB and I'll see what he can do. I'm pleasantly surprised at how Carroll and Schneider, after the Whitehurst fiasco, are acquiring guys at reasonable prices over and over again.

Resign Lynch before free agency, resign Red Bryant, sign Jason Jones, and potentially, key word is potentially, land a good starting QB for a reasonable price. Quietly, it's been a successful offseason so far. Just need to resign Gallery for a cheaper price, and I'm doing the happy dance.

I completely agree with all of this..... I think you might even be surprised how good this Flynn move could end up being.

But, I agree that there is NOBODY in the first 3 rounds of this draft at QB worth it.

Plus it saves us from making a huge mistake drafting Tannehill at 12.

Me and my bro do what we call "scouting and research" every year. :thumbsup:

We get heavy into the draft and all that like you guy's I'm sure do too. We spent all weekend looking at tape and actual games, highlights, game stats, interviews, combine, etc., etc.

If you guy's are interested this is what we've come up with so far, which relates to our beloved Hawks. (Basically, this weekend was all about round 1 and about 20 picks deep)

First - Huge hole at LB for us. This is much worse then DE by far like everybody on here is talking about. I'm hoping we resign Hawthorn to help this.

We think the Hawks will go LB at #12 now that we have Flynn.

(And there are some really good one's too) - But, DE might work also depending.

We don't think we will go DT at all now though. Hawks look very solid at DT and not a need. Even DE is ok, but we do lack the pressure guy. But, LB is a huge hole currently and even depth wise it is. We could use a stud there in the middle I think anyway.

We also think a trade down could be in our plans. I'm probably fine with that. We can land a great talent at LB or DE from 12-17.

We are both so happy about Flynn. But, one of the main reasons was because we think Tannehill would have been our pick otherwise. He is bad bad. Can't believe he's rated so high?

Anyway, here is our draft order for top 12 players with some view points. I'll give deeper thoughts if you want more.

1. Luck

2. Griffin

3. Kalil

4. Richardson (Could be Blackmon)

5. Claiborne

6. Blackmon

----------- These top 6 are pretty well locked - But, if any fell we would take them. We like all 6 of course and did view them.

These next 6 are not really a mock, but the order of our like related for the Seahawks.

7. Dont'a Hightower/LB/Alabama - We love this LB. Think Ray Lewis. Huge need. We fell in love even though he might not warrant a top 12 pick. This would be a great pick if we traded down. But, I would take him at 12 even if it's close to where they project he will go. I've seen him all around the 1st round, so I'm not sure where he should land. But, we love him!

8. Luke Kuechley/LB/B.C. - We like him also. Him and Hightower stood out over all others. (Namely Upshaw)

We love his tackles, smarts, combine, all around player. But, question if he can hold up as long as Hightower. We think Hightower will be more of an impact player for more years, and tougher in the middle. While Luke is a great team guy who makes lots of tackles, and similar to Hawthorn, we think Hightower is more the stud. He will be the enforcer we need in the middle. Him and Chance will scare the snot out of folks. We like both LB's so a trade down could work for either.

9. Whitney Mercilus/DE/Illinois - This kid is up there with Hightower for us. He's technically the 3rd DE though. So this is another kid that a trade down would work perfect for. We love his motor. He's a sack artist. 16 or 17 sacks last year, but only 1 year of production. The next best DE was not close to us after looking at tape, etc. He's big enough and plays like a DE. He's our #1 DE by far over the slower average Coples and the LB/DE hybred smaller Ingram. We love what we saw in Mercilus though. He's probably #2 after Hightower for us overall. He fits a need of outside speed rush, even though we feel LB will be a #1 need.

10. David Decastro/G/Stanford - There is a need here at Guard. And this guy is to good to pass up probably. I'd rather go LB or DE, but we like Decastro. He's solid. We have him way ahead of Reiff as far as talent and shutdown ability.

11. Melvin Ingram/DE-LB/South Carolina - His backflip is amazing. :)

He's sorta on the small side, which makes him a little risky to me.

But, I think he's a huge talent for a team. He is so athletic he can do many things. He can do DE, but I could see LB possibly even. He has great speed. So if used right, he could be you're edge rusher or LB rusher, etc. He is powerful and heavy, but doesn't look the part for a DE. He might be a liability in run support. I could see moving him around all over, or 3rd down, etc. I could see a good fit for us. I might give him a bump over Decastro even. The cool thing about this guy is he could fill 2 spots with 1. Possible DE and edge rusher and maybe even a LB for us.

12. Fletcher Cox/DT/Miss State - He's the best DT in our view. He looks great. This is not a need for us, and would be hard to take IMO. But, he is deserving of this pick. We like him for DT. It's possible he could even play DE. He's got some good speed. He looks as fast as Coples to us. SO this would be interesting. He even played some DE. I don't consider him a sack artist though, and he's good in the middle. Clogs the middle. Fastest DT at combine though.

Outside looking in:

13. Q. Coples/DE - Something is missing with him. I think it's speed. He seems like he will be a good pro and good at run support. But, not a sack artist. On the verge to eliminate him off the board.

14. Trumain Johnson/CB/Montana - Not a need I don't think. But, we like him. Tall corner. Value not there.

15. Michael Floyd/WR/ND - Not a need and not much value here I don't think. We like him though. Tall and plays fast.

Eliminated:

1. Tannehill/QB - Hate him. Dink and dunk and accuracy sucks. He can't go deep at all. Converted WR.

2. Reiff/OT - Not that impressed. Might be ok, but think Carpenter

3. Upshaw/LB - Don't like him for many reasons

4. Weeden/QB - To old. He'll be 30 before you know it. He's got the best WR to throw too. He's not all that.

5. D. Poe/DT - No stats on the field. Great workout. Overrated

6. Osweiler/QB - No good

7. Kirk Cousins - Average. Some good things, some bad things. Think Matt Hass at his old years. Can't go deep very well.

8. Harnish/QB - No good

QB sleepers next post:

You are wrong on both accounts! Flynn has a good arm IMO and can move in the pocket. Not sure what you're watching.

And also, we could still spend a draft pick in the 2nd or 3rd round on a rookie QB "if" we wanted too.

That being said, I've done some scouting and research this weekend and there is NO good QB options in the first 3 rounds of this draft. Garbage. There is nobody worth it, especially the bust that is Tannehill. But, the guy you like (Kirk Cousins) is also lousy. We will be better served to draft some sleepers in rounds 3-6 of this draft.

And now that we have Flynn, we can do this. But, I still like Flynn to be a Hass/Shaub or better.

Also, it was a good contract and we can easily get out of this and not hurt our team. This is a no risk move with huge payoff potential.

You don't really watch football do you.

Our QB Sleepers / Ranks:

1. Luck

2. Griffin

Luck and Griffin both deserving 1st round studs.

Nobody else is worth a 1st round pick in our view. Tannehill is a joke.

We feel there are major questions with the next 5+ QB's and are no better then a 2nd rounder at best. Probably a 3rd.

So since we have Flynn now anyway, we think we should look at a possible rookie QB starting in round 4 or later.

(Maybe round 3 depending)

And this is our likes:

3. Darron Thomas/QB/Oregon - Love this kid. Not sure why he's ranked so low? I would go higher on this kid if his draft stock warranted it. I think he's #3 QB on the board. Huge stats. Big arm. Looks to pass first before he runs. Great deep ball. Young kid and only a Jr. 6'3 and everything seems perfect about him.

He's cocky - But, I like that. I think he could be real good given the chance. Seems as good as RG3 almost to me. I would go a little higher in the draft to land him.

(Think Newton/RG3/Culpepper/M. Vick later years)

4. Kellen Moore/QB/Boise st - Love this kid also. His height is the only problem I see. He's a proven winner and everything I see about this kid I like. Goes deep, decent arm but is accurate, leader. I like him allot. Not crazy that he's a lefty. But, the height is a concern. I think he'll succeed. Nice risk to take late.

(Think Flutie/S. Young/D. Brees)

5. Case Keenum/QB/Houston - HUGE numbers. Everything to like except who he plays for and the wide open offense he plays in. Good risk to take late though.

(Think bust or T. Brady or some where in between)

6. Nick Foles/QB/Arizona - We like him. Something seems missing. Maybe the deep ball accuracy. I'm not sold on him, and he's higher projected then deserving to me. He fill to the 3rd - maybe, but I like the guy's above him.

(Think A. Smith)

7. Weeden/QB - I like him. Maybe should be higher. But, hate his age. He'll be 30 before you know it. He had the best WR to throw too. I would put him ahead of a lot of these guy's I guess, but I think it's better served to pass on him. Plus he'll cost a higher pick.

(Think bust or R. Fitzpatrick)

8. Russell Wilson/QB/Wisconsin - He's interesting. I like allot about him, but the height is not there. Even worse then K. Moore. He probably won't make it, but there is allot to like. He does run first before pass, which is the opposite of D. Thomas in our view.

Might be worth a last round flyer.

(Think S. Wallace)

9. Kirk Cousins/QB/Mich St. - Something seems off with him.

(Like Nick Foles) Deep ball lacks and some accuracy. The tape showed allot of flaws, even though he's somewhat consistant.

(Think M. Hass at his worst - He even looks like Matt if you take off the hair)

Hate: R. Tannehill, Osweiler, Harnish

Hate where Foles, Cousins, Weeden are rated.

Really like Darron Thomas and Kellen Moore.

I'd agree with all of this. Especially the good contract part. It wasn't that I didn't want Flynn. It was that I didn't want a 5 year break the bank deal.

Kudos to Schnieder. This guy can run a franchise.

P.S. Also hate Tannehill and Foles.

You don't really watch football do you.

Comedy - I'm beginning to think you don't my friend.

I'd agree with all of this. Especially the good contract part. It wasn't that I didn't want Flynn. It was that I didn't want a 5 year break the bank deal.

Schnieder really is good! Love him. He has really been a huge peace to all this rebuild. Happy to have him as well.

Comedy - I'm beginning to think you don't my friend.

maybe he's an Aggie who doesn't like the Hawks' use of the 12th man?

I completely agree with all of this..... I think you might even be surprised how good this Flynn move could end up being.

But, I agree that there is NOBODY in the first 3 rounds of this draft at QB worth it.

Plus it saves us from making a huge mistake drafting Tannehill at 12.

I don't think Tennehill at #12 was ever an option. There aren't many teams behind Seattle that even need a QB to draft, with the exception of maybe Cleveland, who I think has a second #1 pick from Atlanta. If Tannehill was the target, that's a trade down. But, that will not in any way, shape or form happen now, so we can move on.

Foles underachieved this year with a horrible team with no offensive line and no WRs. He should have come out the year before, but I guess he thought this year's field would be worse. We has right on that point I guess. He might be underrated.

I've been trying to read up on Flynn as much as possible, from independent sources not trying to blow too much smoke up our asses. Announcers, reporters, scouts, former teammates, etc. The prevailing constant comment is that Flynn is very smart and crafty. He absorbs the playbook quickly, can break down a play and read a defense rapidly and precisely. He throws the ball to spots the defenders can't reach. And he followed Aaron Rodgers around like a shadow, learning and mimicking the preparation necessary. The contract is a future motivator for an even bigger payday, so if this guy keeps working hard, we may have something here. If we are running a version of the West Coast, accuracy is more important than having a cannon arm. Which seems to be a departure from the type of QBs we had been acquiring: JP Losman, Charlie Whitehurst, Tarvaris Jackson.

If Manning leaves San Francisco standing at the alter, and Alex Smith signs with Miami which looks likely, the landscape of the division certainly changes drastically in the Seahawks' favor. With the exception of all those draft picks the Rams got.

Kolb 2.0

100 million dollar contract for Michael Vick. How's that working out for ya? As bad as the Eagle's defense was, how horrific the coaching was, everybody seems to be in agreement in Philadelphia that the biggest problem last year was the play of Michael Vick. Are you saying you want Kolb back?

Kolb 2.0

This is what I was going to post. Too small a sample of work...look how right the Seahawks were on Whitehurts.

This is what I was going to post. Too small a sample of work...look how right the Seahawks were on Whitehurts.

Couple of differences. Carroll and Schneider made that move very early in their tenure. To date, it's still the biggest mistake they've made and seemingly they've used that error as a lesson not to make the same kind of mistake.

When Whitehurst was acquired, the league was laughing and Seattle fans were saying "Who the fock is that?" Flynn is signed, the league mostly says great signing and Seattle fans are mostly happy. Also, no draft picks were given up this time around. Just some of that Paul Allen cash.

Lol @ seachickens as superbowl contender. If that's the case, every team is a superbowl contender. Go back and eat some more skittles. You guys aren't going anywhere.

Lol @ seachickens as superbowl contender. If that's the case, every team is a superbowl contender. Go back and eat some more skittles. You guys aren't going anywhere.

Considering this is a 2 year vastly improved version of a team that won their division and a playoff game, it's a stretch not to call them Superbowl contenders. You lose. Good day, sir.

100 million dollar contract for Michael Vick. How's that working out for ya? As bad as the Eagle's defense was, how horrific the coaching was, everybody seems to be in agreement in Philadelphia that the biggest problem last year was the play of Michael Vick. Are you saying you want Kolb back?

Vick's contract can be voided after this year with a minimal cap hit. And no, I wouldn't want Kolb back. He's a career backup who looks good for stretches when surrounded by elite talent at the skill positions, but put him on a mediocre offense and you can't hide his flaws. I think Flynn is cut from the same cloth.

Couple of differences. Carroll and Schneider made that move very early in their tenure. To date, it's still the biggest mistake they've made and seemingly they've used that error as a lesson not to make the same kind of mistake.

When Whitehurst was acquired, the league was laughing and Seattle fans were saying "Who the fock is that?" Flynn is signed, the league mostly says great signing and Seattle fans are mostly happy. Also, no draft picks were given up this time around. Just some of that Paul Allen cash.

I don't necessarily disagree, but Flynn screams "system QB" just like Kolb did. Kolb may still come around, the guy barely had any time in the system in AZ, but it's not looking good so far. Flynn was a 7th round pick for a reason and the guy is getting pretty good salary based on two games in one of the most potent offenses in the league. Caveat emptor.

Edit: this isn't a Seattle hate thing...I'd say this regardless of what time Flynn went to. I still find it curious that the Dolphins didn't play a bigger role in the Flynn final destination due to the Philbin connection. :dunno: