Sign in to follow this  
Casual Observer

Do you think this Priest was right ...

What, no reply with Sky Wizards and magic books mentioned?

I'm not a practicing Catholic.

:dunno:

Daughters are considered family of the deceased. HTH

And yeah, to your point, she should probably transfer her worship credits to another church. Something tells me that's already a done deal.

Hmmm....been awhile since I've spoken about my religious beliefs. Hmmmm....interesting. Perhaps not such a casual observer after all? How about a casual Christian? :overhead:

Your views on religion in general have been so carefully hidden that it took a master sleuth to figure it out. Much like my carefully hidden bias. ;)

Yes, based on your prior post you show an appaling lack of knowledge about Catholicism.

Oh really. Which part did I get wrong?

Yes, based on your prior post you show an appaling lack of knowledge about Catholicism.

Tell us the story about ass kickin' Jesus. I love that one.

Oh really. Which part did I get wrong?

Your prior post. It went something like this:

So no Catholics sin and if they do they shouldn't even bother being Catholics or want to participate in any of the sacraments?

Your prior post. It went something like this:

So no Catholics sin and if they do they shouldn't even bother being Catholics or want to participate in any of the sacraments?

I was asking you if that is what you thought based on your comment. Or if your comment only applied to filthy dykes. :dunno:

Tell us the story about ass kickin' Jesus. I love that one.

You tell me, since you've heard it so many times. I'll let you know if you've got it right.

Your views on religion in general have been so carefully hidden that it took a master sleuth to figure it out. Much like my carefully hidden alias. ;)

No they haven't. Religion is a good thing. It is an essential part of many people's lives to find meaning. I think that's a good thing. I've said this about 73 times. For an observer, you sure have a selective eye. :unsure:

Don't let that stop you from opining on how they ought to run things in their Church.

“Any issues regarding the suitability of an individual to receive communion should be addressed by the priest with that person in a private, pastoral setting.”

Sounds like I actually agree with how they should run their Church. :dunno:

If you don't want people opining on stuff, don't start a thread asking people to opine on stuff.

Don't let that stop you from opining on how they ought to run things in their Church.

They have always kept to theirselves so well.

I was asking you if that is what you thought based on your comment. Or if your comment only applied to filthy dykes. :dunno:

Based on which comment of mine? Yours was in response to Medstudent.

You tell me, since you've heard it so many times. I'll let you know if you've got it right.

I'm not a casual Christian.

:dunno:

No they haven't. Religion is a good thing. It is an essential part of many people's lives to find meaning. I think that's a good thing. I've said this about 73 times. For an observer, you sure have a selective eye. :unsure:

Sounds like I actually agree with how they should run their Church. :dunno:

If you don't want people opining on stuff, don't start a thread asking people to opine on stuff.

Religion is a good thing - which you ridicule everytime it is brought up. (Except for Islam).

Why would an atheist actually care about how they ran their Church. Again, the original point of the post was asking whether you thought the Priest was right.

I guess it didn't take very long for Casual Observer to turn into a gigantic dooshe :rolleyes:

I guess it didn't take very long for Casual Observer to turn into a gigantic dooshe :rolleyes:

Yes, the bored Nazis warned me not to become one on my first post? I guess I'm just defiant that way.

Religion is a good thing - which you ridicule everytime it is brought up. (Except for Islam).

Why would an atheist actually care about how they ran their Church. Again, the original point of the post was asking whether you thought the Priest was right.

Again, I said the priest was wrong the way he handled it. The archdiocese agreed. Most geeks in this thread agree. Seems to me the original point of this thread was something different than asking folks if they thought the priest was right, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion now, would we Mr. Lawyer?

I don't care how the Catholic Church is run. If they continue to act in a manner more fitting of the 14th century, then they'll run themselves right into the ground. Hell if I care. Just don't blame secularism because at the end of the day when you don't meet the spiritual needs of your followers, you're gonna lose followers.

Yes, the bored Nazis warned me not to become one on my first post? I guess I'm just defiant that way.

The first step is admittance.

I'll let you read it for yourself.

Found it:

Once upon a time.....Jesus would - and did - throw charlatans the fock out......I'll say it again. You have no focking idea what it means to be Christian. It has nothing to do with pounding your head into a rail should you impugn Christians. Jesus threw people out on their ass; so do I. Just try to attack Christians in person, fockstain: you'll quickly see what a Christian soldier is.

You delusional lefties: I've claimed that I'm a casual Christian who devoutly defends the belief, and the right to express it without being constantly attacked. That means that I can pound lefty heads like yours into the concrete while allowing truly pious Christians the cover they need to operate.

You have slobbering pustule sluts like Nikki backing you up. That's amazing for you, I'm sure - but whores need johns, and johns need whores.

And they all lived happily ever after. The End

:overhead:

While the priest undoubtably handled it wrong, the person probably shouldn't have been going up for a sacrament as a non practicing member, its not a post dinner breath mint that all are expected to take one... Standard practice is to observe the ceremony and refrain from the sacrament.

Priest should have just let it go though...

Again, I said the priest was wrong the way he handled it. The archdiocese agreed. Most geeks in this thread agree. Seems to me the original point of this thread was something different than asking folks if they thought the priest was right, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion now, would we Mr. Lawyer?

I don't care how the Catholic Church is run. If they continue to act in a manner more fitting of the 14th century, then they'll run themselves right into the ground. Hell if I care. Just don't blame secularism because at the end of the day when you don't meet the spiritual needs of your followers, you're gonna lose followers.

Well, what can I say, other than you thought wrong. You could have left your lone comment, but you couldn't help yourself. Like a moth to the flame.

Why take the thread into secularism, you're gonna lose followers direction? You've already said you don't care, why waste time commenting on it?

Daughters are considered family of the deceased. HTH

And yeah, to your point, she should probably transfer her worship credits to another church. Something tells me that's already a done deal.

I would say the odds are that she is not a practicing member of this church, and while she requests and deserves respect as a person laying her mother to rest, the church she is in deserves respect towards its sacraments.

I would say the odds are that she is not a practicing member of this church, and while she requests and deserves respect as a person laying her mother to rest, the church she is in deserves respect towards its sacraments.

How do you know she's not a practicing Catholic? I know lots of gay people that still consider themselves Catholics and go to church and pray and follow the religion. I suppose they hope God is a little more tolerant than his representatives down here on earth are. :dunno:

Why take the thread into secularism, you're gonna lose followers direction? You've already said you don't care, why waste time commenting on it?

Because Mensa....I know it's you. I went the secularism route because I know you hate it. Tip your hat and move on buddy.

Totally, and I'd be less sympathetic if this were just a regular Sunday mass. Nobody's really talking about the Pat Kennedy issue, because it seems like that was handled much more tactfully. But considering the circumstances, I think you put aside your beliefs and respect the family in their time of need. The priest went Westboro, and he should be called out on it.

I'm fine with the priest not providing communion, although I agree with the archdiocese that it could have been handled way better.

The other stuff he did was very un-priestlike.

How do you know she's not a practicing Catholic? I know lots of gay people that still consider themselves Catholics and go to church and pray and follow the religion. I suppose they hope God is a little more tolerant than his representatives down here on earth are. :dunno:

I said the odds were good she wasn't, theres always outliers. Odds are good she's not a hasidic jew either... If you are gay there are plenty of christian sects that are far more accomodating than catholicism that basically all beleive the same things anyways...

How about not flipping out?

I had 12 years of catholic school. Never really followed many of the rules but I think if you commit a sin then you are not suppose to receive communion until after you have gone to confession. But I'm not 100% sure on that rule. Most people receiving communion probably should not be.

What's the rationale behind the confession needing to go to a priest?

The way the bible puts it when it comes to the nature of sin- that it's wrought in man's heart...if not sinning between that confession and communion was needed, it's likely no one technically should take communion.

I said the odds were good she wasn't, theres always outliers. Odds are good she's not a hasidic jew either... If you are gay there are plenty of christian sects that are far more accomodating than catholicism that basically all beleive the same things anyways...

How about not flipping out?

Flipping out?

:lol: WTF?

What's the rationale behind the confession needing to go to a priest?

The way the bible puts it when it comes to the nature of sin- that it's wrought in man's heart...if not sinning between that confession and communion was needed, it's likely no one technically should take communion.

That's just the way the Catholics do it naomi. You can't just tell God you are sorry. You have to go to the priest and tell him all of your sins so you can be forgiven by God.

And yes... it is safe to say that no one technically should take communion because there is a good chance they sinned in between their last confession and Sunday mass. What my family does, is they go to confession on Saturdays and then try really really hard not to sin before Sunday morning.

Flipping out?

:lol: WTF?

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious. "

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious. "

Is that what I said? Is that the point at which I was "flipping out"? Because I was challenging your expertise on this woman's religious beliefs? :lol:

My father is gay. He goes to church every Sunday. I'll stop right there. No need to go on, but there are lots more that I know like this. So if you had pontificated your professional opinion about my dad's faith if you read about him in the newspaper, you would have been wrong. HTH.

Is that what I said? Is that the point at which I was "flipping out"? Because I was challenging your expertise on this woman's religious beliefs? :lol:

My father is gay. He goes to church every Sunday. I'll stop right there. No need to go on, but there are lots more that I know like this. So if you had pontificated your professional opinion about my dad's faith if you read about him in the newspaper, you would have been wrong. HTH.

Another Nikki one-off...lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominational_positions_on_homosexuality

If you are christian and gay, catholicism is one of the least tolerant denominations... Which logic would dictate would mean odds are you found a more accomodating denomination, there seem to be tons of them.

Another Nikki one-off...lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominational_positions_on_homosexuality

If you are christian and gay, catholicism is one of the least tolerant denominations... Which logic would dictate would mean odds are you found a more accomodating denomination, there seem to be tons of them.

People of faith don't usually think of it as a "choice".

But I'll take your expertise on this matter from Wikipedia. :lol:

Because Mensa....I know it's you. I went the secularism route because I know you hate it. Tip your hat and move on buddy.

Totally, and I'd be less sympathetic if this were just a regular Sunday mass. Nobody's really talking about the Pat Kennedy issue, because it seems like that was handled much more tactfully. But considering the circumstances, I think you put aside your beliefs and respect the family in their time of need. The priest went Westboro, and he should be called out on it.

I'm not Mensa, already told you that.

Did you really just type that the priest "should put aside his beliefs"?

Again, you just can't stop.

That's just the way the Catholics do it naomi. You can't just tell God you are sorry. You have to go to the priest and tell him all of your sins so you can be forgiven by God.

And yes... it is safe to say that no one technically should take communion because there is a good chance they sinned in between their last confession and Sunday mass. What my family does, is they go to confession on Saturdays and then try really really hard not to sin before Sunday morning.

The idea of not sinning within a set amount of time, if you're recognizing that God knows the heart and his word says "the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" and "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away" is amazing. Judging within yourself that you haven't screws you right there, though you probably already are on another note.

Not that anyone's necessarily interested, but that dynamic of policing and judging yourself while walking in works is often referred to as legalism. Biblically one of the sharpest examples of that is with the Pharisees.