Sign in to follow this  
Casual Observer

Do you think this Priest was right ...

No, because the priests who molest children strongly out number the religious bull d!kes.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." - Pauly Shore

No, because the priests who molest children strongly out number the religious bull d!kes.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." - Pauly Shore

Is there a study out there comparing the two?

I don't know what circumstances make it okay in the church to deny communion, so I can't say whether the priest was right in that instance. I imagine it's sort of a slippery slope - if the priest knows that someone is a heavy drinker or liar or philanderer, can he deny that person communion too? I don't know.

Walking out during the woman's eulogy and refusing to accompany her to the funeral? What a giant frigging doosh. Apparently his church agrees.

I don't know what circumstances make it okay in the church to deny communion, so I can't say whether the priest was right in that instance. I imagine it's sort of a slippery slope - if the priest knows that someone is a heavy drinker or liar or philanderer, can he deny that person communion too? I don't know.

Walking out during the woman's eulogy and refusing to accompany her to the funeral? What a giant frigging doosh. Apparently his church agrees.

Apparently his Church agrees that he's a giant frigging doosh?

Is there a study out there comparing the two?

No, but its ok for the priest to commit "immoral" acts and not the other.

Yeah, it would be interesting to know if he extends this practices to others living sinful lives too; fat people - gluttony and sloth, rich people - greed, etc.

Yeah, it would be interesting to know if he extends this practices to others living sinful lives too; fat people - gluttony and sloth, rich people - greed, etc.

Why don't you call the Church and ask to speak to him?

Why don't you call the Church and ask to speak to him?

Because it wouldn't be THAT interesting.

OK. I didn't read the part about this Priest committing immoral acts.

This priest might not have committed any immoral acts. Jerome F. Toohey Jr. and Maurice Blackwell are two catholic priests in the Baltimore area who were convicted of sexual-abuse scandals. Toohey was accused of sexual-abuse against children for many years, which I'm sure at least a few priests in the Baltimore area were aware of. Covering up these horrible acts because the churches livelihood was at risk. However, this priest might not have known anything about it, I understand.

The woman's immoral act isn't nearly on the same scale as few priests.

I don't know what circumstances make it okay in the church to deny communion, so I can't say whether the priest was right in that instance.

I had 12 years of catholic school. Never really followed many of the rules but I think if you commit a sin then you are not suppose to receive communion until after you have gone to confession. But I'm not 100% sure on that rule. Most people receiving communion probably should not be.

This priest might not have committed any immoral acts. Jerome F. Toohey Jr. and Maurice Blackwell are two catholic priests in the Baltimore area who were convicted of sexual-abuse scandals. Toohey was accused of sexual-abuse against children for many years, which I'm sure at least a few priests in the Baltimore area were aware of. Covering up these horrible acts because the churches livelihood was at risk. However, this priest might not have known anything about it, I understand.

The woman's immoral act isn't nearly on the same scale as few priests.

Right. Let's not tar this Priest with the same brush, unless you know differently (thank you for acknowledging that).

Reason 642 I do not practice Catholisim. The religion that sticks it's head in the sand to so many evils would deny this woman communion - phail.

p.s. I'd bet the house they took her church tithing though.....

Right. Let's not tar this Priest with the same brush, unless you know differently (thank you for acknowledging that).

Sounds like he could use a tarring.

Reason 642 I do not practice Catholisim. The religion that sticks it's head in the sand to so many evils would deny this woman communion - phail.

p.s. I'd bet the house they took her church tithing though.....

Reason 642? Are you Martin Luther?

Yep, secularism. That's what's doing the Church in. :rolleyes:

There's a right way to handle this and a wrong way. The priest acted like a petulant little pr!ck. He placed his beliefs over those of the family who simply wanted to pay their respects and lay a loved one to rest. If priests aren't going to perform their functions as men of God, then what purpose do they serve?

I had 12 years of catholic school. Never really followed many of the rules but I think if you commit a sin then you are not suppose to receive communion until after you have gone to confession. But I'm not 100% sure on that rule. Most people receiving communion probably should not be.

Right. You are not supposed to receive communion unless your conscience is clear, you have gone to confession, and have no big sins. That being said, I have never in my life seen a priest refuse someone communion. I've seen Jewish people and other non-Catholics go up and receive it at weddings and funerals.

I don't think anyone could possibly think it was appropriate for a priest to publicly refuse to give someone communion at their mom's funeral because he thought she had sins on her conscience. That is just horrible. Which I'm sure is why his archdiocese came out and said it was wrong.

Reason 642? Are you Martin Luther?

I was raised Catholic, attended Satruday Catechism all the way thru my 8th grade communion - I've seen enough w/out having to be he.

Right. You are not supposed to receive communion unless your conscience is clear, you have gone to confession, and have no big sins. That being said, I have never in my life seen a priest refuse someone communion. I've seen Jewish people and other non-Catholics go up and receive it at weddings and funerals.

I don't think anyone could possibly think it was appropriate for a priest to publicly refuse to give someone communion at their mom's funeral because he thought she had sins on her conscience. That is just horrible. Which I'm sure is why his archdiocese came out and said it was wrong.

A Priest in Massachusetts (I believe) refused one of the Kennedy's communion not too long ago.

If the archdiocese came out and criticized this Priest for his refusal to give communion to the woman, then it begs the question: is the refusal based on this Priest's own view or is it truly the Church's rule?

I was raised Catholic, attended Satruday Catechism all the way thru my 8th grade communion - I've seen enough w/out having to be he.

Did you mean confirmation instead of communion? Did you find another religion that suited you better or do you practice none at all?

Did you mean confirmation instead of communion? Did you find another religion that suited you better or do you practice none at all?

I think he has already flubbed enough in this thread to know he's no Catholic or ever was. If you want to be a religion basher, just be one, no reason to be a complete liar.

I think he has already flubbed enough in this thread to know he's no Catholic or ever was. If you want to be a religion basher, just be one, no reason to be a complete liar.

Yea, confirmation is what I meant...... Lied about what?

A Priest in Massachusetts (I believe) refused one of the Kennedy's communion not too long ago.

If the archdiocese came out and criticized this Priest for his refusal to give communion to the woman, then it begs the question: is the refusal based on this Priest's own view or is it truly the Church's rule?

Representative Patrick J. Kennedy of Rhode Island said on Sunday that the Roman Catholic bishop of Providence had instructed him to refrain from receiving communion because of his stance on abortion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/us/23kennedy.html

“Any issues regarding the suitability of an individual to receive communion should be addressed by the priest with that person in a private, pastoral setting.”

Seems like it is the Church's rule. Pat Kennedy wasn't standing in front of everyone waiting for a Jesus cracker when he was denied....and he wasn't laying his mother to rest either. There's a responsible way to handle it, and Father Marcel failed.

Yep, secularism. That's what's doing the Church in. :rolleyes:

There's a right way to handle this and a wrong way. The priest acted like a petulant little pr!ck. He placed his beliefs over those of the family who simply wanted to pay their respects and lay a loved one to rest. If priests aren't going to perform their functions as men of God, then what purpose do they serve?

The family isn't implicated, it was the daughter. Couldn't she pay her respects without receiving communion. Moreover, if she didn't really believe in the tenets of the religion, or adhere to them, why would she even want to attempt to participate by receiving one of its sacraments?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/us/23kennedy.html

Seems like it is the Church's rule. Pat Kennedy wasn't standing in front of everyone waiting for a Jesus cracker when he was denied....and he wasn't laying his mother to rest either. There's a responsible way to handle it, and Father Marcel failed.

Says you. Maybe he should post a sign on the door: "NO COMMUNION FOR LESBIANS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES"

The family isn't implicated, it was the daughter. Couldn't she pay her respects without receiving communion. Moreover, if she didn't really believe in the tenets of the religion, or adhere to them, why would she even want to attempt to participate by receiving one of its sacraments?

So no Catholics sin and if they do they shouldn't even bother being Catholics or want to participate in any of the sacraments?

Says you. Maybe he should post a sign on the door: "NO COMMUNION FOR LESBIANS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES"

Says his archdiocese.

So no Catholics sin and if they do they shouldn't even bother being Catholics or want to participate in any of the sacraments?

That's why they have confession. You can say you're sorry, clean the slate, sin...go to confession....rinse, repeat for 87 years, die and happily attend the eternal happy hour in the sky.

:rolleyes:

Were you raised a Catholic?

That's why they have confession. You can say you're sorry, clean the slate, sin...go to confession....rinse, repeat for 87 years, die and happily attend the eternal happy hour in the sky.

:rolleyes:

What, no reply with Sky Wizards and magic books mentioned?

Daughters are considered family of the deceased. HTH

And yeah, to your point, she should probably transfer her worship credits to another church. Something tells me that's already a done deal.

Members of the Atheist Fraternal Support Society?

Hmmm....been awhile since I've spoken about my religious beliefs. Hmmmm....interesting. Perhaps not such a casual observer after all? How about a casual Christian? :overhead: