Sign in to follow this  
DanXIII

Do any of you Yelp like pretentious dooshes?

I do :banana: It's one of my favorite sites. I always check out the Yelp page before trying a new place, so far it's never let me down.

The concept of Yelp! is good, but their practices are another thing. If you are a business owner they will hide some of the favorable reviews from time to time, unless you advertise with them. Yep, extortion! nothing the business owner can do about it. :thumbsdown:

Depends on the number of fingers and how many knuckles deep.

The concept of Yelp! is good, but their practices are another thing. If you are a business owner they will hide some of the favorable reviews from time to time, unless you advertise with them. Yep, extortion! nothing the business owner can do about it. :thumbsdown:

Can anyone confirm this? Not saying you're being untruthful but I have never heard this and if this is true it seriously calls their ethics into question.

Yes - I normally Yelp or Urbanspoon when checking out new places. I also leave reviews as well....... Uh, I may or may not even have the Yelp app on my phone..:ninja:

Can anyone confirm this? Not saying you're being untruthful but I have never heard this and if this is true it seriously calls their ethics into question.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I would be seriously disappointed if this turns out to be true, but I wouldn't be shocked. Crap like this has long been a criticism of the BBB.

I would be seriously disappointed if this turns out to be true, but I wouldn't be shocked. Crap like this has long been a criticism of the BBB.

Well there are several articles in newspapers and some lawsuits. I can't find any rulings on it or any detailed info one-way or the other. I don't follow Yelp that much to know one way or the other. :dunno:

Yes - I normally Yelp or Urbanspoon when checking out new places. I also leave reviews as well....... Uh, I may or may not even have the Yelp app on my phone..:ninja:

Love the Urbanspoon app! I often let it decide where to eat when I can't figure out what I'm in the mood for.

Love the Urbanspoon app! I often let it decide where to eat when I can't figure out what I'm in the mood for.

Ever try an app called 'Foodspotting'? It's great, and free. Lists nearby places, with pictures - use it all the time. :thumbsup:

I prefer to be arrogant on trip advisor :)

Yeah I've done a few Yelp reviews. I usually only write one if the place is really good. On a few occasions a place has been so bad that I'll write a negative review to warn everyone, but I try to stay away from negative reviews as much as possible since it really can hurt the place's business.

I'll also check Urbanspoon but I have never written a review for that site.

I am a business owner, and I don't have any say in the matter if my business is on there or not (but that is a different story). I am a new business and only 12 reviews so far, (4 star average) but some of the positive ones are hidden, none of the negative ones mind you. Which reviews are "filtered" (their term) changes day to day. Sometimes all 12 show up, sometimes 9, but always a review that is positive. I dunno. I have read the other sites that talk about their practices, but to no avail. They have not approached me to advertise and fully unlock my reviews permanently but i think i due time they will.

I am a business owner, and I don't have any say in the matter if my business is on there or not (but that is a different story). I am a new business and only 12 reviews so far, (4 star average) but some of the positive ones are hidden, none of the negative ones mind you. Which reviews are "filtered" (their term) changes day to day. Sometimes all 12 show up, sometimes 9, but always a review that is positive. I dunno. I have read the other sites that talk about their practices, but to no avail. They have not approached me to advertise and fully unlock my reviews permanently but i think i due time they will.

Wow that's totally bogus. I'm gonna do a little more research on them and if this turns out to be the case, I'm done with Yelp.

Wow that's totally bogus. I'm gonna do a little more research on them and if this turns out to be the case, I'm done with Yelp.

Please post what you find out. Yesterday I was up to 10 reviews, now I am up to 11. It is always a positive review, and not the newest ones either. If it was a new post I could see them "holding" it until it has been approved for content, language, or spam but for them to play hide the review I feel like i am getting screwed. lol

Please post what you find out. Yesterday I was up to 10 reviews, now I am up to 11. It is always a positive review, and not the newest ones either. If it was a new post I could see them "holding" it until it has been approved for content, language, or spam but for them to play hide the review I feel like i am getting screwed. lol

Well it's pretty hard to find out what's true and what isn't. Some people have accused Yelp of offering to remove negative reviews or highlight positive reviews for a fee. Others have claimed that Yelp employees will actually write negative reviews and then try to get you to pay them to take them off.

That said, a lot of these charges are leveled anonymously, and they usually accompany unrelated complaints like "my business competitors put up fake reviews about my restaurant." So it's difficult to tell what's true and what is just sour grapes. At any rate, I had no idea that such allegations were floating around out there, so it's good to know what kind of operation Yelp might really be.

:dunno:

Well it's pretty hard to find out what's true and what isn't. Some people have accused Yelp of offering to remove negative reviews or highlight positive reviews for a fee. Others have claimed that Yelp employees will actually write negative reviews and then try to get you to pay them to take them off.

That said, a lot of these charges are leveled anonymously, and they usually accompany unrelated complaints like "my business competitors put up fake reviews about my restaurant." So it's difficult to tell what's true and what is just sour grapes. At any rate, I had no idea that such allegations were floating around out there, so it's good to know what kind of operation Yelp might really be.

:blink:

What?

just the info you found out. pretty much the same as what i found. surprising that is all...

So what you are saying is that some people may read information that may, or may not be true, and coming to a conclusion based on that information may not be the best course of action?

It's good to see you have a higher standard for restaurant reviews than you do the legal system, "Mr. Attorney". :doh:

So what you are saying is that some people may read information that may, or may not be true, and coming to a conclusion based on that information may not be the best course of action?

It's good to see you have a higher standard for restaurant reviews than you do the legal system, "Mr. Attorney". :doh:

Fvck off, troll :thumbsdown:

Several lawsuits against them have been dismissed. Here's another article about one which was dismissed with prejudice:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/10/class-action-lawsuits-against-yelp-dismissed.html

Though the allegations aren't going away and, to be honest, they probably never will with a business model like theirs.

In October of 2011 a class-action lawsuit against Yelp claiming that they were removing negative reviews in exchange for “advertising” was dismissed with prejudice (meaning they cannot be sued again for the same reason). It’s now January of 2012 and already it seems the complaints of extortion are not going away; instead they appear to be growing more frequent in numbers as awareness has risen that something fishy could be going on at Yelp.

Several lawsuits against them have been dismissed. Here's another article about one which was dismissed with prejudice:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/10/class-action-lawsuits-against-yelp-dismissed.html

Though the allegations aren't going away and, to be honest, they probably never will with a business model like theirs.

In October of 2011 a class-action lawsuit against Yelp claiming that they were removing negative reviews in exchange for “advertising” was dismissed with prejudice (meaning they cannot be sued again for the same reason). It’s now January of 2012 and already it seems the complaints of extortion are not going away; instead they appear to be growing more frequent in numbers as awareness has risen that something fishy could be going on at Yelp.

Still, he conceded that protecting content integrity is a "difficult task" and "sometimes legitimate content can get caught." The lawsuits have also led to more transparency from the company, which instituted changes such as allowing users to see filtered reviews that were previously hidden.

Then why hide reviews at all, if they are going to let customers view the filtered reviews. Why only filter the positve reviews? Why not the negative ones? Oh wait, who would pay to advertise in exchange for a negative review to be seen?

Then why hide reviews at all, if they are going to let customers view the filtered reviews. Why only filter the positve reviews? Why not the negative ones? Oh wait, who would pay to advertise in exchange for a negative review to be seen?

I will try to dig it up but I know I saw one filtered review just last week that was negative, I just can't remember the name of the restaurant.

There appears to be little doubt that their filtering algorithm needs work but that doesn't automatically mean they are extorting businesses.

I too own a business. Two locations, 600+ reviews combined. I personally answer each and every Yelp review that gets posted - good or bad. Most of the time Yelp is a handy tool that allows me to see the business from the customer's perspective.

Other times negative slam reviews are posted (and not filtered though flagged) and they hurt my business. People have very little clue how damaging a slam review can be to any business, and I wish they would take that into account when posting. Also I detest the 8 paragraph wanna be critic reviews from vapid self important suck knots: "The creme brulee was lacking in density and the back waiter didn't refill my sparkling water quick enough, but Bunny did so love her Duck A L'Orange so I gave it two stars."

EDIT: Yelp has approached me about advertising several times, and I've never felt comfortable giving money to people who are in a position to hurt my business. They categorically deny that advertisers have any recourse to remove bad reviews, but I have personally heard their sales people tell me this was possible during a sales call at my store. The sales rep never came out and said "we will remove negative ads" but they went out of their way to suggest that 'there are many ways Yelp can help clients by 'adjusting' the filter algorithm'.

I use Yelp in my personal life because it can be of use when looking for things. Found an excellent home inspector who did a great job helping me check out a house I just purchased - so Yelp has paid dividends for me. I guess I'm just hoping people take the slam reviews with a grain of salt and don't judge a place based on one or two bad reviews.

I generally discard the negative reviews and look at the positive ones. I understand that people are far more likely to write negative crap when pissed off instead of good reviews when pleased. If there are NO positives, and lots of negatives, that will sway me from trying a place, but I'll ignore a handful as just your run of the mill internet tough guy routine.

Its like on amazon... the best book you've ever read has several 0 star reviews.

I often look at the negative reviews, but just to see whether people have legitimate gripes about the place or not. If the worst thing you can say about a restaurant is that they seated you too close to a group of teenagers or failed to bring you your veggies on a special side plate as per your anal retentive request, I'll probably eat at that place. :thumbsup:

I usually friend with the yelp reviewers that I like and trust.

And I usually filter for elite reviewers only. Skip the 5 or 6 reviewed users, who sign up for Yelp just to praise or hate on a certain place.

Yes. I've been an elite yelper since 2010....why you do ask?

I generally discard the negative reviews and look at the positive ones. I understand that people are far more likely to write negative crap when pissed off instead of good reviews when pleased.

This. In fact, if there was no problem you generally don't hear anything at all, but if someone has a bad experience it's TO THE INTERNET!