Sign in to follow this  
hoydogg

TE

How soon are you drafting a TE assuming Graham and Gronk are taken? Would you target a Gates, Finley, or VD in like the 5th or wait for someone like Gonzalez or Fred Davis? I see the top 5 TEs going much earlier this year.

I've got Hernandez 3rd among TEs on my list and I'd draft him in the 5th or Vernon / Finley shortly thereafter. I'm not very high on Gates honestly, dude gets hurt constantly and there is too much talent at the position. If I can't get a top 5-6 guy at the right price I'm shooting for a decent producer like Gonzo or Celek in the later rounds plus one of Fred Davis or Cook - a high upside sleeper plus a fallback plan. I have a feeling TEs are going to fly off the board a lot sooner than I'll want to pull the trigger this year.

Late. The point difference between the 3rd best and 12th best TE in my league last year was 45 points. The point difference between the 3rd best and 11th, 10th, 9th was even smaller, by a lot.

I can't justify it. It's Graham, Gronk, or I'm waiting til late. Real late.

I've got Hernandez 3rd among TEs on my list and I'd draft him in the 5th or Vernon / Finley shortly thereafter. I'm not very high on Gates honestly, dude gets hurt constantly and there is too much talent at the position. If I can't get a top 5-6 guy at the right price I'm shooting for a decent producer like Gonzo or Celek in the later rounds plus one of Fred Davis or Cook - a high upside sleeper plus a fallback plan. I have a feeling TEs are going to fly off the board a lot sooner than I'll want to pull the trigger this year.

I'll take Hernandez if I can get him in the 5th...or an auction at a reasonable price but after that I'm waiting.

I currently don't know who will be more valuable from 4-16 in TEs from week to week.

I'm not willing to take any of the top tier TEs but also don't want to be left with scraps. For me Brandon Pettigrew is the guy.. Don't have to reach for him, he is in a great offense and gets a ton of redzone targets.

I'm targeting Vernon D or Witten in the 6th round. I have to now double check on Witten of course. I really wouldn't mind Pettigrew or Finley in the 7th though.

These are the way the mocks have been going, but I have a feeling I won't get Vernon D in the 6th. But if I can I'll go RB/WR/RB/WR/QB/TE. Or BPA. Sometimes good players fall in that 5th/6th round.

Probably.

Late. The point difference between the 3rd best and 12th best TE in my league last year was 45 points. The point difference between the 3rd best and 11th, 10th, 9th was even smaller, by a lot.

I can't justify it. It's Graham, Gronk, or I'm waiting til late. Real late.

and how do you know that the difference between the 3rd best and the 12th will remain that small? Thats assuming no other TE ascends to graham/gronk level.

there is also no guarantee that graham and gronk match last years numbers.

the guy im looking at is Antonio Gates. I know he has battled injuries the last few years but when on the field, he is still a monster. Now V-Jax is out of town and San Diego didn't bring in anyone relevant, IMO. Plus there has been absolutely no negative talk on the Gates injury front. It's been all positive.

Gates averaged over 15 a game when he played last year. And if you recall, he was on an absolute TEAR in 2010 before suffering foot injuries.

Now I know, that sounds like evidence for why he wont hold up but as far as i know, the injuries he has dealt with in 2010 and 2011 were all foot related. So if the foot is okay, it's not like he has had a bunch of different injuries.

and how do you know that the difference between the 3rd best and the 12th will remain that small?

Well, isn't it a small point difference in most years?

I'll settle for a late round TE who'll probably finish anywhere from 5-12th best. Hopefully the point difference will be made up at other positions drafted in those middle rounds.

I'd take Hernandez as early as 4.1, if you don't want to draft that early, I think Kyle Rudolph or Lance Kendricks will be late round guys with top ten upside.

if gates is really healthy you gotta thin he's going to produce some touchdowns for Rivers.

Well, isn't it a small point difference in most years?

I'll settle for a late round TE who'll probably finish anywhere from 5-12th best. Hopefully the point difference will be made up at other positions drafted in those middle rounds.

well, in most years we didnt have 2 tight ends having MONSTER seasons and distancing themselves from the pack. I guess my point is that if we believe those two guys can distance themselves again, what stopping another guy or two frmo joining that level, especially as teams try to involve their tight ends more.

I said before my draft that I wouldn't draft any of the top tight ends too, but when Graham fell to me in the 3rd, I couldn't pass it up. Point being, saying theres no way you'll take a high ranking TE is silly since you never know what will happen in your draft. I like to think I prefer to get a starter at ANY position except kicker and defense before I start drafting backups but I drafted a Backup RB and backup WR before I drafted a QB this year. Draft for value.

For me, there is a definite top 2(obvious), then a definite middle 3(Gates/Hernandez/Davis).....then everyone else.

If you don't want one of the top 5 guys, then the best strategy is to wait. I keep seeing Witten/Fred Davis/Finley go in rounds 7-8-9. I don't get that. Those guys aren't gonna produce any better than the Pettigrews/Tammes/Olsens who can be had 4 rounds later. So I think that's where the parity in the position lies.

I drafted Gates yesterday in the 5th(TE3). Could have waited another round for Hernandez. Maybe would have been a wiser choice, but the thinking is Gates looks healthy, is the unquestioned #1 target in a pretty good offense, and doesn't disappear many weeks (unless he's hurt). I'm willing to pay a little bit more knowing Gates can put up monster numbers (remember the start of 2010?) and for his consistency. He doesn't get 80% of his production in 30% of his games.....looking at you Jermichael.

I'm considering drafting Graham early in rd 2 because he and Gronk are so much better than the rest of the TEs. After that only Gates has good upside. If I don't get top-2 TE then I will probably wait until the rds 9-11 to pick up Tony G, Gresham or Cook. I'm not sure what to make of Olsen. Tamme's ADP has been rising and I see him being picked in rds 7-8.

For me, there is a definite top 2(obvious), then a definite middle 3(Gates/Hernandez/Davis).....then everyone else.

If you don't want one of the top 5 guys, then the best strategy is to wait. I keep seeing Witten/Fred Davis/Finley go in rounds 7-8-9. I don't get that. Those guys aren't gonna produce any better than the Pettigrews/Tammes/Olsens who can be had 4 rounds later. So I think that's where the parity in the position lies.

I drafted Gates yesterday in the 5th(TE3). Could have waited another round for Hernandez. Maybe would have been a wiser choice, but the thinking is Gates looks healthy, is the unquestioned #1 target in a pretty good offense, and doesn't disappear many weeks (unless he's hurt). I'm willing to pay a little bit more knowing Gates can put up monster numbers (remember the start of 2010?) and for his consistency. He doesn't get 80% of his production in 30% of his games.....looking at you Jermichael.

GATES in round 5 is solid.

If healthy, he is the only one that's capable of challenging Gronk for the most TD by a TE for the year.

People are really reaching for TEs this year. I have actually seen a run on them in rounds 5-7/ I have decided to load upat rb and wr because I can pick up Olsen or Fleener very late. I do like Fleener since he was Luck's favorite target in college and the rookie will need to have a dependable safety valve as teams will blitz him often

The problem with Fleener is that he is very poor at pass-blocking. It seems he will lose snaps to the other rookie TE. I think Cook in TEN is a better pick.

Gronk is an elite talent. Just look at these numbers in his first 2 years.

2010-11

reception: 42

yards: 546

avg: 13.0

TD: 10

2011-12

reception: 90

yards: 1327

avg: 14.7

TD: 17

The Patriots were a Juggernaut on offense with Gronk on the field. To think the Patriots would cut Gronk's target because they brought in a 31 year old WR (Lloyd) from st. Louis is laughable. Why would the Patriots change a thing on offense??? Barring any major injuries, i would say Gronk is a safe bet to have over 1,100 yards and 12+ TD. That is such a big advantage for leagues needing a starting TE. I think it warrants the reach.

After Gronk, Graham, Hernandez, and maybe Gates, no other TE matters. With the exception of those 4 guys the position is basically plug and play week to week. Just about any other starting TE will get you between 4-7 fantasy points each week. Unless your opponent has one of the top 4 the position is likely going to be a wash. Just take the best available starter each week and plug him into your lineup. Don't waste picks on any other TE but these four.