Sign in to follow this  
steel827

Anybody ever do well for the season on the backend of a snake draft?

It seems like you get the bottom of the barrel for any position. Top 5 QBs are gone, top 3 RBs and top 3 WRs are gone. Starting with scraps in comparison to teams picking before you and it's a long way back. Just curious.

Just my two pennies

I've done well there. Most years I prefer it. This year seems not so good for it with the RB depth lacking. I used to draft at the back end of a 12 teamer. I liked it because you draft back-to-back or close to it. This year seems tough though picking there.

Historically, in my league of 15 years, that's a death sentence. Once in a while, someone will compete from back there, but its rare. That's why we're moving to an auction draft.

You should also ask the size of the league. It may be ok for a 10 teamer, but not for our 14 teamer.

I've won most of my titles in 14 and 16-team leagues from the back end, both redraft and limited keeper. Don't know that it correlates with anything, but I think while it's hard in the early rounds, you get a lot of opportunity to grab hidden gems once you get down to the 7/8 and 9/10 turns. I wouldn't even mind it this year, though I do see where it could be disappointing early if you usually rock a RB/WR combo out of the end.

The 2 teams in my championship game last year were the 1 spot and the 12 spot. The 12 spot won. Just prep for where you are drafting, and remember your draft only accounts for about 50% of your year end results.

I have an upcoming draft next weekend from the 12 position in a 14 team league redraft. I'm not very excited about my options right now. I'm usually a RB - RB guy with my first two picks. That would give me like the #9 and 11/12ish type of running backs. Then I would get something like the #18 & 20ish type of receivers on the next time around :thumbsdown: . Brady, Brees, and Rogers will all be off the board I'm sure. I think I could go WR WR with two studs, but then my rb position would blow. This sucks :thumbsdown:

In my league, the order of finish determines where you draft the following year. So, if you win it all, you draft 12th, ... 11th for the runner up, and so on up to first place for the guy with the suckiest team. I know that I've had some lucky breaks, but I've been drafting in the bottom four spots for as long as I can remember (that's a good thing!). I know the Math supports having a top pick, but there is also the math that says that you are putting a lot of eggs in one basket if your Top 3 pick goes down. If you've got Rice, McCoy or Foster and they go down with an injury, ... Good luck. That means that every other team in the league essentially had two draft picks before you had your first healthy pick. I know that you can mitigate that risk by taking the handcuff, but still that's an awfully huge hole to dig out of. Meanwhile, if I've picked two quality RBs at the bottom half of the draft, say Murray and Forte, if one of them goes down, I still have another guy that can potentially be a Top 5 RB, or likely a top 10. It's spread of risk.

Another advantage to picking at the bottom is that if you know the draft tendencies in your league, you can likely start a run on mid-Level TEs, backup QBs, or even Kickers and Defenses when you start it off at the turn. Even more sinister, you will be in a position to snag other teams' RB handcuffs right before they plan to draft them. When you pick 12th, you will always be the first one to have one more player on your roster than any other team at the beginning of even number rounds, so look at the needs of the other teams, and beat them to the punch.

Hey, I won't turn down a top pick, but if you are drafting from the bottom, embrace it and figure out how to use it to your advantage.

If you're in a competitive league it shouldn't matter. In my 14 teamer there are 6 playoff spots. And as you know once you make the playoffs anything can happen. Where you draft doesn't really matter. Last year the playoff teams came from the 2,3,6,9,10,14 draft slots. The year before it was 2,6,7,10,11,12

I have done well in the past but not liking it to much this year as you won't get a top 3 qb or Calvin an the rbs are all second tier. If I had the 12th I would take Stafford and one rb and build from there. Stafford can be a top 3 qb this year.

I had bitched about it numerous times over the past few years as I typically end up with at least 2 last picks. You can win from any spot in the draft. The key thing to remember is to avoid taking a player just because the ones left at that position are starting to thin out and you are afraid you will not get another quality player. I won my keeper last year from the 10th spot and I made the playoffs in both of my other leagues drafting 10 and 8. All are 10 team leagues. Also I won another league 2 years ago from the last spot. If it is a 14 teamer I can see how it becomes more difficult but you also get your second player way before the first spot.

One type of draft I saw on fantasysharks was 1-12, 12-1, 12-1, 1-12. So the snake type reverses every 2 rounds. This year I added 2 more leagues and am now at 5 total.

I am wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else: I have the exact same draft pick in 2 leagues and since the third is yet to be determined I am pretty sure I will end up last again since I won and the lottery is weighted. So I am looking at 3 leagues that I have the exact same draft position in all of them, 8, 10, 10. Has this happened to anyone else? It reaffirms my theory that the fantasy gods deem me unsuitable to draft more than once every few years in the top 3. I have actually had picks 1-4 once ever each. Pretty much the rest have been last.

The good thing about last, you are guaranteed a top 2 TE :thumbsup:

have made the championship in a fair number of leagues drafting out of late position, won several, and have taken total points nods a few times. biggest lesson i've learned is to hunt for impact players while managing risk, and avoiding drafting for position at all costs. this sounds like boilerplate advice, but it's really important in late position. you have to be willing to draft more aggressively--it's much easier to play it safe with picks 1-3, because you already have a marquee point-scorer at the outset. IMO, 'value' becomes less important than impact when drafting late. you have to be willing to reach.

i think this season is going to be extremely interesting, since there are a lot of directions that the first 2 rounds can go. used to be that you wouldn't see a QB or TE anywhere in the first 24 picks. now, all 4 positions are legitimate options for a cagey drafter.

It seems like you get the bottom of the barrel for any position. Top 5 QBs are gone, top 3 RBs and top 3 WRs are gone. Starting with scraps in comparison to teams picking before you and it's a long way back. Just curious.

Just my two pennies

Ah, but you still have the Top 3, maybe even Top 1 Tight End . Why not make that one of your back to back picks .

I got the 12th in a 12 team, 1pt PPR, all TD6 league.

I'm staring down the barrel of Stafford/Brees(miracle needed) and Graham(crossing fingers)/Gronk combo to start, then go RB/WR for a good long while.

If the 4 top QB's are gone by the 12th, then I may be in serious trouble. :wacko: