Sign in to follow this  
Uberjamb

So, before Mathews has his first game...

So if someone wanted to do that, what do you think the equivalent value is at running back? Would you trade DeMarco Murray for him? Would that be offering too much? What about a back like Sproles? Ridley perhaps?

Basically, where do you think Mathews will end up among backs, when all is said and done.

I traded Ridley + Steve Smith for Matthews + Andre Johnson, if that helps you get an idea of what he's worth. And i did it just yesterday.

The guy i traded was desperate to shake things up, as he had AJ, Fitz, Matthews, and Sjax, so that might be a contributing factor as to why i got a good deal

I wouldn't say its too late, but its almost too late

You guys say too late like he is going to just go nuclear. Is that what is expected? Are we thinking top 5 RB or something?

I just put in a trade offer of Steven Jackson and Malcom Floyd for Ryan Mathews and Stevie Johnson. Will see how it goes. Should know sometime today.

You should know before you ever offered, that is a terrible offer.

Your opinion and that is alright. With jackson a little nicked this week and mathews potential I believe I'm alright. The other side of the trade may seem a little off but I think Johnson performs at the same level as Floyd first half of the season then I will try and move Johnson in a trade when the weather begins to diminish. Had him last year and he did really well until weather went cold and buffalo played tougher defenses at the end of the season.

I just wish you would have given a little explanation to your "You are an idiot response".Its hard for me to take you seriously otherwise.

I still don't believe it, but in 1 of my leagues an owner dropped him for Cecil Shorts of all players! Guess who had the #1 waiver priority. I now have Matthews going with Spiller and Doug Martin this weekend. Believe it or not, I was a bit torn on who I should claim because this same owner also dropped Fred Jackson at the same time. I wanted Jackson as a handcuff, but couldn't pass up on Matthews. While I put a claim on Jackson as well, another owner beat me to it. I went to that owner to talk a trade for Fred and he wanted Matthews in return.

Your opinion and that is alright. With jackson a little nicked this week and mathews potential I believe I'm alright. The other side of the trade may seem a little off but I think Johnson performs at the same level as Floyd first half of the season then I will try and move Johnson in a trade when the weather begins to diminish. Had him last year and he did really well until weather went cold and buffalo played tougher defenses at the end of the season.

I just wish you would have given a little explanation to your "You are an idiot response".Its hard for me to take you seriously otherwise.

I'm pretty sure his read was the opposite. Floyd/Stevie is fairly close to a wash but might even favor Stevie. Mathews is way, way more valuable than Jackson right now. It's a tough offer because I don't see any way the other guy would accept it.

You guys say too late like he is going to just go nuclear. Is that what is expected? Are we thinking top 5 RB or something?

Mathews was going as a top-5 pick before he broke his collarbone. Dude has the potential to end up #1 this year if he's healthy from here on out. But, just like anything else in fantasy football, it's a cr@pshoot.

I traded Ridley + Steve Smith for Matthews + Andre Johnson, if that helps you get an idea of what he's worth. And i did it just yesterday.

The guy i traded was desperate to shake things up, as he had AJ, Fitz, Matthews, and Sjax, so that might be a contributing factor as to why i got a good deal

I wouldn't say its too late, but its almost too late

you shouldnt rape your grandma like that, its mean

how you got the better player on both positions baffles me

I'm pretty sure his read was the opposite. Floyd/Stevie is fairly close to a wash but might even favor Stevie. Mathews is way, way more valuable than Jackson right now. It's a tough offer because I don't see any way the other guy would accept it.

Well the guy I'm trying to trade with has already considered it and has indicated he will give me an answer by the end of the day. He seems to like the scenario, but we will see. I personal opinion is S. Jackson has perforemd well, maybe not up to Mathews but not far off. Just have to wait and see if he accepts the trade or comes back with a counter offer.

I'm also pretty sure his stats had very little to do with the weather and everything to do with Fitzpatrick returning to Ryan Fitzpatrick status (whether it was his cracked ribs or perhaps his contract with the devil was only for 8 games, that I don't know). And people are being critical of you because that trade isn't even close to fair. I wouldn't trade you Mathews at this point for Jackson/Floyd, straight up, particularly with Steven Jackson gimpy right now. And if the guy trades, he's a bonehead.

This thread makes no sense to me whatsoever. Okay, so I'm a Mathews owner. I drafted him in the late first or maybe 2nd round. I've patiently waited these 2 weeks and now it looks like my guy is going to play. A guy throws me a lowball offer for the RB I've been waiting to play and now I'm going to cut bait? This is nonsense.

This thread makes no sense to me whatsoever. Okay, so I'm a Mathews owner. I drafted him in the late first or maybe 2nd round. I've patiently waited these 2 weeks and now it looks like my guy is going to play. A guy throws me a lowball offer for the RB I've been waiting to play and now I'm going to cut bait? This is nonsense.

This.

If you drafted Mathews, you had to do so knowing that you'd be without him for the first couple of weeks. You drafted him in spite of that. Know that it's time to hopefully cash in on your patience, the worst thing you could do is give him away to some ridiculous offer, especially with the state of rbs right now.

This.

If you drafted Mathews, you had to do so knowing that you'd be without him for the first couple of weeks. You drafted him in spite of that. Know that it's time to hopefully cash in on your patience, the worst thing you could do is give him away to some ridiculous offer, especially with the state of rbs right now.

I appreciate everything you guys are saying and I somewhat agree with you all, but Jackson is not a piece of crap RB. They are not that far apart. Sure Mathews can be a top 5 Rb where Jackson will be closer to 10 to 15. I just don't think they are that far apart. Besides Jackson will probably play this week, so the supposed groin injury probalby is not as bad as some are making out to be. Now I do agree Jackson has a norrible schedule this year so his overall numbers will probably be down a little this year. The thread stated what is the lowest one can get for Mathews for impatient owners. So I posted my potential trade. Do I think it will go through, no. Don't crucify me because you don't value Jackson as high as some other people. If you wouldn't do the trade that is fine, but don't try and belittle me because you don't agree with the offer.

By the way if the trade would happen to go through, that doesn't mean I am a s.o.b. or the guy who did the trade is a bonehead. You may think he is but no one knows for sure how the season will play out. Finally no one still has given me any concrete logic as to why the offer is so lopsided. Where is the critical thinking that is very common to this site and its patrons. I have coming to the site for the last five years but only started posting last year. I have totally enjoyed the in depth knowledge a lot of people give on this site and it has served me very well. Anyway no big deal that everyone may disagree with me. I would like a little more substance as to why.

Somebody offered me Maclin for him today...I did not accept that trade.

I traded Gore, Bowe, Djax and Brady for Mathews, Nicks and Newton. It looked better before Cam's game tonight :P

I have high hopes for Mathews this season. Obviously that means he'll be put on IR in a couple of weeks.

I appreciate everything you guys are saying and I somewhat agree with you all, but Jackson is not a piece of crap RB. They are not that far apart. Sure Mathews can be a top 5 Rb where Jackson will be closer to 10 to 15. I just don't think they are that far apart. Besides Jackson will probably play this week, so the supposed groin injury probalby is not as bad as some are making out to be. Now I do agree Jackson has a norrible schedule this year so his overall numbers will probably be down a little this year. The thread stated what is the lowest one can get for Mathews for impatient owners. So I posted my potential trade. Do I think it will go through, no. Don't crucify me because you don't value Jackson as high as some other people. If you wouldn't do the trade that is fine, but don't try and belittle me because you don't agree with the offer.

By the way if the trade would happen to go through, that doesn't mean I am a s.o.b. or the guy who did the trade is a bonehead. You may think he is but no one knows for sure how the season will play out. Finally no one still has given me any concrete logic as to why the offer is so lopsided. Where is the critical thinking that is very common to this site and its patrons. I have coming to the site for the last five years but only started posting last year. I have totally enjoyed the in depth knowledge a lot of people give on this site and it has served me very well. Anyway no big deal that everyone may disagree with me. I would like a little more substance as to why.

Holy cow, guy!! You're giving me a lot of credit for saying things that aren't there in black and white.

I never ridiculed you or made fun of you. I simply said that moving Mathews for a weak offer now that he can start to produce is not a smart move.

As for the reason why people think your offer is so weak is because SJax is clearly a tier+ below Mathews. Mathews only has one question mark-can he stay healthy. If he can stay healthy, he will absolutely dominate.

SJax, on the other hand, has a TON of tread on his tires. There are a plethora of examples of how quickly an aging RB can break down and fall off the cliff with the kind of workload he's had. It's going to happen, we just don't know when. The only thing that's certain is that you don't want to be holding the bag when he disappears because you'll have to pay a pretty steep price to own him because of his name. Add into that the fact that the Rams pretty much suck and it's pretty easy to see why many people don't want to own him.

If you're high on him, fine. Roll with it. It might work out for you, but he has nowhere near the potential of Mathews.

Holy cow, guy!! You're giving me a lot of credit for saying things that aren't there in black and white.

I never ridiculed you or made fun of you. I simply said that moving Mathews for a weak offer now that he can start to produce is not a smart move.

As for the reason why people think your offer is so weak is because SJax is clearly a tier+ below Mathews. Mathews only has one question mark-can he stay healthy. If he can stay healthy, he will absolutely dominate.

SJax, on the other hand, has a TON of tread on his tires. There are a plethora of examples of how quickly an aging RB can break down and fall off the cliff with the kind of workload he's had. It's going to happen, we just don't know when. The only thing that's certain is that you don't want to be holding the bag when he disappears because you'll have to pay a pretty steep price to own him because of his name. Add into that the fact that the Rams pretty much suck and it's pretty easy to see why many people don't want to own him.

If you're high on him, fine. Roll with it. It might work out for you, but he has nowhere near the potential of Mathews.

Blade, thank you for your thought process. I understand where you are coming from and SJax is going to fall off the cliff sometime.The thing is people have been pretty much saying that for the last 2 or 3 years on this site (not for sure though) but he keeps chugging along and proving everyone wrong year in and year out. Is St Louis in a position to break into the playoffs, heck no. They do produce inconsistently and SJax does get his. That is approximately 1500 yards (run and catch). The only thing that varies is the td's. Will this groin keep him from playing week to week, we will see. I actually drafted him as my RB2 so to think I was going to get Mathews was pretty weak. I was just following the thread and listing my offer to get Mathews. The other guy can counter will see tomorrow morning. That is the deadline.

Thank you for your thoughts and I agree with them. I just think it is crazy that people sometimes tear others down without an explanation of their opinions. Not expecting a long drawn out affiair just a couple of sentences backing up their claims. So kudos to you and I never took what you said as ridicule.

Was just offered Brees for Matthews....I couldn't hit the accept button fast enough.

I think it is hilarious that people think matthews will be a top 1 rb. Even a top 10 rb is laughable. Matthews is such a bust and mark my words he will continue to be. That guy has caused my fantasy football team years of disappointment due to shared time, injuries, and poor performance. He will have his big game or two, but it will be at the cost of several low production weeks. Trade him away while there's still hype.

When they fall apart they usually do it in a blink of an eye. Portis? Priest? Martin? Eddie George? Some backs leave before they hit the wall but they are the exception. We usually get to see the train wreck the old workhorses put in as a swan song.. Steven Jackson has that look written all over him. He has been a battering ram with a huge workload and it has taken its toll.

I think it is hilarious that people think matthews will be a top 1 rb. Even a top 10 rb is laughable. Matthews is such a bust and mark my words he will continue to be. That guy has caused my fantasy football team years of disappointment due to shared time, injuries, and poor performance. He will have his big game or two, but it will be at the cost of several low production weeks. Trade him away while there's still hype.

you have no clue, dude finished 6th in ppr last yr with a time share

16.90,14.80,25.60,30.90,19.90,14.20,B,10.50,15.20,8.70,5.10,15.20,20.40,20.80,24.90

those are his point totals by game, that is elite production

Yeah I got a low-ball offer from a dumb owner today for him. I mean really? Are their that many idiots out there who now, all of a sudden, think Mathew owners are going to trade him after waiting for his injury to heal?

At least I payed a good price for him after week 1 when the iron was still hot to make a move:

Chris johnson/Kevin Smith/Lafell for

Mathews, Wayne, Morris

;)

The best analogy I can make on Mathews is Brian Westbrook.

Westbrook, of course, was a phenomenally talented all-around RB who was a weekly headache as to whether he would play or not. Rarely was the guy not on the injury report and NEVER played 16 games in his entire career. You could basically book him to miss all or part of 2 or 3 games every year.

PS- Westbrook was my lead back on 2 championship teams and Mathews single-handedly rescued me in the semi's last year, leading to a title. If you can handle the weekly heartburn, guys like Westbrook and Mathews CAN be championship RBs.

I took a flier on Battle as a bench stash (replaced the useless Wilson). After last week I'm not going to be surprised to see them give Tolbert's role last year to him. I do not think Matthews will ever become the bell cow back everyone thinks he will be. Between that and the injury bug, I think Matthews will continue to be a headache for owners.

Someone offered me RG3. I said no!

As some of you have said... I drafted him early, fully expecting him to miss two weeks. So why would I bail now? I can't WAIT to see what he does tomorrow.

:cheers:

I just put in a trade offer of Steven Jackson and Malcom Floyd for Ryan Mathews and Stevie Johnson. Will see how it goes. Should know sometime today.

Uh, let me answer that for you.....Not unless he has lost his mind. Stevie is better than Floyd and Matthews will double Jackson's production going forward from here.