Sign in to follow this  
rdrs4life

Commish has an issue with this trade

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should trade be allowed?

Haven't you been humored long enough?

Trading away a player who played on Thursday night, to free up a roster spot to put a kicker in same spot + fire selling a player of respectable worth to the first taker, for garbage.. why doesn't he just send a Trojan virus to the rest of the league for an encore?

The notion that only collusive actions violate rules in FF is a falsehood. As others have stated i'd call this roster limit manipulation. Even if you'd put in ten straight years in the church group, best buddies league; were I your commish, you'd be on "double secret probation", a gee hair away from a permanent ban.

Your argument's only redeeming quality is that your act of roster limit circumnavigation is a little bit novel. To me anyway.

Now that you've turned all G. Gordon Liddy on your league mates, I guess they have to introduce a "no being a roster limit manipulating scumbag" rule, into your official constitution. Congrats, you're a trendsetter for the need for newly complex FF constitutional oversight.

Can you give reasons as to why you feel this way, or why any of my reasons are wrong? What rule is being broken? Does it not happen in real life all the time?

I love all the discussion on this board and how you keep trying to convince yourself you are not trying to circumvent rules. Clearly trying to get around the rule of roster limits and your league should be set up that the trade would not take affect until Tuesday.

I would love to hear your examples of football players playing a Thursday night game and then suiting up for another team on Sunday. Also how does theory fit fantasy football? How many real life teams have their roster play at various times and locations from Thursday to Monday? If we follow this, why not just not carry a kicker on your "real life" team until you get into the red zone, let him come in kick, and then cut him until you are in the red zone again?

Team A adds Martellus Bennett to the roster Thursday and starts him vs the Panthers, dropping his kicker.

Team A wants to open up a roster spot for a new kicker for Sunday, but has no players he wants to drop (besides Bennett)

Bennett of course cannot be dropped since he already played.

Player A posts a message to the league, stating he will accept any trade for Bennett as long as it is done today. Explaining that he wants to receive a player back that is dropable, so he may start a kicker this week, all of this of course benefits team A's team.

Player B proposes a trade for who he deems his least valuable player for Bennett, team A accepts. Are there any problems with this?

It is not collusion, both teams are making a trade trying their best to improve their teams chance of winning.

Real life NFL, NBA teams etc, do this all the time where they trade for a player then release him. No where does it state this is against the rules.

Just want some neutral opinions on the matter. Let me know if you have any more questions about the details of the scenario.

Thank you.

If Bennett cannot be dropped (and he cannot - not until after the waiver wire reactivates after Monday Night) then he cannot be traded. This is roster manipulation, and cannot be allowed. There's a reason that players which play are greyed out in FF league sites until after conclusion of that week's games. If team B wants a kicker, team B will have to drop a still eligible player in another position.

Or lose K points this week.

This is so absurd it makes my head spin. Either tard4life made up this scenario to troll for an argument, or he really is that stupid. Either way he is a doosbag little fock for wasting peoples time with this baloney. And a Raiders fan to boot. Must be a miserable sap.

:cheers:

Having played Bennett, can you now drop him and play another player, a kicker, this week?

Of course not!

So no, having played Bennett, you cannot now trade him and play another player, a kicker this week.

Pretty simple.

That someone looks for loopholes like this and then claims this is a game for fun makes me question what they think fun is and what their general ethics are, of which they lack.

This. The OP has been probably blasted by his league mates for it & is searching for someone that sides with him. Sorry, but anyone that abides by the rules isn't going to agree with the OP. If he said FF is supposed to be a game of fun, why is he trying to circumvent the rules?

If Bennett is leaving your team during the current week, then those points should follow that player then. End of story.

This is a good thread. :thumbsup:

I don't think any team in any sport is allowed to change its active roster in the middle of the game.

The FF game started on Thursday and ends Monday.

I would not be opposed to this rule for next season, it does seem fair. However, there is no rule for this currently, and we have never enforced any other trades in this way. I am sure we have traded players before that have already played during the week (or made trades on Sunday), and the trade was not held until end of the night Monday. So I don't see how it is fair to only enforce it now.

it doesnt need to be a rule, it's a universal rule.

if a player has already played, the trade cannot go through until the following week when rosters unlock. it's really simple...this trade should not be allowed.

I'm not dropping him, I'm trading him. So are you saying no player should be able to be traded that has already played that week? Because that is not a rule that exists in our league. If I don't trade Bennett I am just going to drop him Tuesday, as he is the low man on my roster. He was a FA 2 days ago for a reason.

can you play bennett and insert him into your roster? No. This trade is horseshit and collusion.

i read through the rest of the thread, and the OP is a retard...

that is all.

yep...exactly.

Can't trade him until Tuesday. You can't start a player take the points and trade him in the same week. Nonsense.

The fact you are adamant about trying to scam the league is pretty bogus.

Commish should tell you to pound sand

No ###### way can Bennett leave his team until Tuesday.

YUP. :thumbsup:

Shouldnt even be a question about that.

Players who have played on Thursday are not trade eligible until Tuesday. The trade should be impossible.

However, some semi-legal loopholes could exist:

He could trade Bennett for the other guy's kicker, with Bennett as "a player to be named later" (on Tuesday).

I have seen this before, even though I don't care for it. A lot of leagues ban 'string trades'.

He could trade another player (whom he does not want to drop) to player X for a kicker (plus whatever), and the other team picks up a new kicker.

There are a few ways around it, depending on the rules of the league in question. But under no circumstances or rules should Bennett be allowed to move before Tuesday. The OP should have simply dropped a different dude for Bennett on Thursday. Now he's getting all Sneaky Pete to make up for his stupidity.

I might disagree with Evil Genius to this extent: the bylaws should control. We should agree that this situation SHOULD be covered in your bylaws, but too often it is not because a) either your commissioner was lazy in writing them, or B) your commissioner cannot be expected to consider every contingency.

In lieu of specific bylaws, the commissioner should make an unbiased ruling and common sense should dictate. I'm not sure that this advice is of much help to you right now. BTW, I don't do polls - ever!

I might disagree with Evil Genius to this extent: the bylaws should control.

Actually, I agree with this sentiment. I don't think the loopholes I mentioned should necessarily exist..just thinking around the issue.

like we have in our league

just because every single scenario isnt printed on paper prior to the season, common sense trumps all

once a guy plays for you he is locked that week, plain and simple

you're a tool. thats the best answer i have.

no player who has already played, should leave your roster until he unlocks. You can agree to a trade, the trade simply goes through on tuesday morning.

any league that would allow you to free up a roster spot by trading a player who has already had his game that week is the most bush league I have ever heard of.

if the league doesn't allow you to drop a player who has played, why would it allow you to move him via trade? whats the difference?

terrible league.

I actually do appreciate your guys help, I thought I said that already, but if it wasn't clear then sorry if I came across as rude, I was just trying to have a discussion. I don't believe our league would have thought to enforce this rule without you guys bringing it up, which is why I am grateful. It is being voted on now and seems like it will pass. Personally I am neutral to it, but always am in favor of rules that are passed by majority. Though some of you really need to take the collective stick out of your ass. There is just no reason to be as rude as some of you have been. Pretty standard for the Internet though I suppose.

I actually do appreciate your guys help, I thought I said that already, but if it wasn't clear then sorry if I came across as rude, I was just trying to have a discussion. I don't believe our league would have thought to enforce this rule without you guys bringing it up, which is why I am grateful. It is being voted on now and seems like it will pass. Personally I am neutral to it, but always am in favor of rules that are passed by majority. Though some of you really need to take the collective stick out of your ass. There is just no reason to be as rude as some of you have been. Pretty standard for the Internet though I suppose.

so let me get this straight. you post on an FF message board asking opinions on a league issue. You pose it as "owner A" and "owner B" even though everyone knows you are talking about yourself. Then you instantly try to defend your position when no one is offering the opinion you wanted and quickly divulge that you're talking about your own issue. Then you can't handle some "rude" comments? :lol:

Glad to help. I would propose one final act of contrition:

The Bennett owner invites the league over to his house to punch him in the face in front of his wife a kids.

This trade absolutely is what allows me to improve my team. Without this trade I will not have a kicker and be out 6-8 points this week.

you should have thought of that before you dropped your kicker...

I keep hearing things like this and I know its because of the Thursday games this year but every league should have a rule where you can't drop a player you have played until Tuesday; its just common sense...

and the trade should not be allowed at all

And please disregard my "no" vote.

What I should have voted was "yes." As in, yes, the trade should be allowed, because it does not in itself violate any rules of any sort. (At least, not any logical ones you'd find in any league elsewhere.)

But the roster spot which had previously been taken by Bennett, who already started this week, should be locked until the completion of all the week's games. So that if you want to drop anyone for a kicker, it would have to be someone else.

Yes! An active player that already played cannot be traded til after all that weeks games have been played.....period! This is the rule in any reputable league therefore the trade cannot be allowed until Tuesday after all games have been played.

The issue is with the fact that Bennett already played. That means his roster spot is accounted for for this week already. Trading and dropping isn't an issue of collusion or trade shenanigans. It's an issue of roster size manipulation. I'm sure your league has rules about how many players can be carried on the roster, and it's this rule that's in danger of being violated. The owner will, in effect, have used a single roster spot for two starting players the same week.

Tell the Bennett owner to drop somebody else if he wants a kicker.

This.

It is a rule. It's the same rule (and concept) that prevents you from dropping him. He has already been used this week and occupies a roster sport.

Noe of your logic is relevant (going to drop him anyway, he was a free agent for a reason) to the actual issue.

Also, this.

Having played Bennett, can you now drop him and play another player, a kicker, this week?

Of course not!

So no, having played Bennett, you cannot now trade him and play another player, a kicker this week.

Pretty simple.

That someone looks for loopholes like this and then claims this is a game for fun makes me question what they think fun is and what their general ethics are, of which they lack.

Aaaand this.

As the OP seems to have an aversion to answering a simple direct question, let's try again. Is Bennett currently roster locked by the service that hosts your league? Would your commissioner have to manually override the system and unlock Bennett for this trade to go through?

If yes, what is it about "locked" you don't seem to understand?