Sign in to follow this  
RedzoneMonster

Spiller

I am contimplating trading for Spiller (while his value may be at lowest). My team is awful and at this point totally willing to trade away a good player (WR) to the Spiller owner, who already has other good RBs. My current RB2 is Bradshaw and/or M. Bush and IF I could get Spiller and he returns to the way he played wks1-2 I might have a shot at least of making some noise.

There's always the chance FJAX gets injured again, but you can't rely on injuries. Even if FJAX stayed healthy all year does anyone think Spiller will be a stud at any point again this year?

I am contimplating trading for Spiller (while his value may be at lowest). My team is awful and at this point totally willing to trade away a good player (WR) to the Spiller owner, who already has other good RBs. My current RB2 is Bradshaw and/or M. Bush and IF I could get Spiller and he returns to the way he played wks1-2 I might have a shot at least of making some noise.

There's always the chance FJAX gets injured again, but you can't rely on injuries. Even if FJAX stayed healthy all year does anyone think Spiller will be a stud at any point again this year?

Yeah he will, but a tough scedule and rbbc will keep him from being elite for at least a few weeks. The bills are dumb and will throw freddie out there for basically no reason. Spiller really is theit only shot at having a profuctive offense. Fitzpatrick is bad and will continue to turn the ball over.

If F-Jax stays healthy then Spiller value takes an enormous hit. He'd be on par with DeAngelo Williams. 5 yards per carry, but in only 9-12 carries a game. :dunno:

Spiller would have the most value to F-Jax owners and vice versa. Either you get Spiller and sit on him in case of F-Jax injury or you trade him to the F-Jax owner for max value.

Limited potential with F-Jax playing. But I think it's worth trading away a WR. Maybe the Bills fall out of the race and they cede the job to Spiller anyway.

The bills are dumb and will throw freddie out there for basically no reason. Spiller really is theit only shot at having a profuctive offense.

Did you miss the entire 2011 season? Fred Jackson was a top five back in the entire NFL. Do you really think that the Bills coaching staff, who sees F Jax and Spiller every single day, is dumb and you, a fantasy football owner, is smarter? I know that we all want 'our guys' to get 30 carries or 15 targets, but these guys are trying to win games.

Now, to answer the OP's question, if you can assume both will be health (which is an unknown for both right right), I would imagine the Bills will take advantage of having two good backs and give F Jax 12-15 carries and Spiller 8-10 carries and 5 or so targets out of the backfield. Pretty much an even split.

Did you miss the entire 2011 season? Fred Jackson was a top five back in the entire NFL. Do you really think that the Bills coaching staff, who sees F Jax and Spiller every single day, is dumb and you, a fantasy football owner, is smarter? I know that we all want 'our guys' to get 30 carries or 15 targets, but these guys are trying to win games.

Now, to answer the OP's question, if you can assume both will be health (which is an unknown for both right right), I would imagine the Bills will take advantage of having two good backs and give F Jax 12-15 carries and Spiller 8-10 carries and 5 or so targets out of the backfield. Pretty much an even split.

As a matter of fact i do think i can evaluate talent better than the bills. Better than almost anyone in the nfl? No. Better than the bills? Yes. Are you talking about the same bills that gave a big new contract to a 30 year old rb when they had a much better one on the bench for much cheaper? Or the bills that gave a nice contract to a qb who throws 3 picks a game? Or a new contract to mario williams who doesnt seem to give a sh!t this year? How about a team that is perennially one of the worst teams in the league, even when they pay a bunch of "super stars" to fix all the holes in their teams.

Yeah the bills have produced so many great teams and individual talents that i completely trust theid player evaluation without question. Fred jackson is so good that he will probably be a first ballet HOFer after finally becoming a good rb at the age of 30. Cj spiller only runs a 4.27 40 yard dash with unreal agility measurements. Why would you want a guy that gifted getting more carries than a 31 year old rb who just got paid?

Get your head out of your ass focker.

The 2nd banana in RBBC on a mediocre team = bye week filler

He'll get about 40 rush yds, 4 rec for 40 yards every game for the remainder of the season. Those 12 points with an occasional fluke TD is good enough for desperation bye-week filler, but that's about it. I don't think Spiller is worth more than a WR3 at this point.

He's got: Forte, C. Johnson, Spiller

I've got: Foster, Bradshaw, M. Bush

Am I crazy for thinking he might be interested in M. Bush for Spiller straight up? My reasoning would be Bush and Spillers value isn't THAT much different (both 2nd banana), but at least Bush provides him some security as a Forte owner. If you were him and received this offer would you tell me to go scratch, or consider it?

If F-Jax stays healthy then Spiller value takes an enormous hit. He'd be on par with DeAngelo Williams. 5 yards per carry, but in only 9-12 carries a game. :dunno:

Totally disagree - what makes Spiller such a good player is that he has the potential to score nearly every time he touches the ball. 9-12 carries maybe, but a player like Spiller can do a lot with 9-12 carries.

He's got: Forte, C. Johnson, Spiller

I've got: Foster, Bradshaw, M. Bush

Am I crazy for thinking he might be interested in M. Bush for Spiller straight up? My reasoning would be Bush and Spillers value isn't THAT much different (both 2nd banana), but at least Bush provides him some security as a Forte owner. If you were him and received this offer would you tell me to go scratch, or consider it?

The 2nd banana in RBBC on a mediocre team = bye week filler

He'll get about 40 rush yds, 4 rec for 40 yards every game for the remainder of the season. Those 12 points with an occasional fluke TD is good enough for desperation bye-week filler, but that's about it. I don't think Spiller is worth more than a WR3 at this point.

:lol: You're nuts if you think a player with this much talent is only good enough for "desperation bye-week filler".

As a matter of fact i do think i can evaluate talent better than the bills. Better than almost anyone in the nfl? No. Better than the bills? Yes. Are you talking about the same bills that gave a big new contract to a 30 year old rb when they had a much better one on the bench for much cheaper? Or the bills that gave a nice contract to a qb who throws 3 picks a game? Or a new contract to mario williams who doesnt seem to give a sh!t this year? How about a team that is perennially one of the worst teams in the league, even when they pay a bunch of "super stars" to fix all the holes in their teams.

Yeah the bills have produced so many great teams and individual talents that i completely trust theid player evaluation without question. Fred jackson is so good that he will probably be a first ballet HOFer after finally becoming a good rb at the age of 30. Cj spiller only runs a 4.27 40 yard dash with unreal agility measurements. Why would you want a guy that gifted getting more carries than a 31 year old rb who just got paid?

Not to bag on Spiller's worth, because he's clearly proven that he can rip off a huge play, just about anytime he touches the ball, but have you watched the Bills play when they both get carries? Spiller is simply not the inside runner that FJax is. Period, won't ever happen, simply not built for it. FJax is still a tough, slashing, nose for the extra yards kind've inside runner. FJax is the kind've guy that only misses two games after L. Landry hits him in the knee. He's a tough SOB. Spiller's the kind've player who takes a big shot to his front and sprains a should joint. Love the kid, but Earl Campbell he is not.

They'll both limit each other's upside, but on that wild n' wooly for FF, Bills team.. they both have a lot of value. And expect FJax to get most of the GL work and carries when they have a lead.

They have different skill sets. I have both of them, I love Spiller's upside, but from a purely real football standpoint, he can't do some of the things that FJax can.. they'd be dumb not to use them both as they do.

:lol:

Based on the poor games from Fitzpatrick if I were the Bills I would run at least 25-30 times split among FJax and Spiller. Spiller being the 3rd down back and FJax used in short-yardage. Spiller is too good to only give him 12 touches and FJax can wear down a D.

Have the Bills used both these guys on the field at the same time? I understand it's been hard to do that with each being banged up pretty much all season, but did they work Spiller out of the slot at all yesterday? As an owner of both, I'd love to see that happen. FJax getting the yards up the middle, and Spiller getting the ball out in space. Seems like it would be difficult for defenses to key on one or the other, and both can hurt you if given room to work. Hopefully we'll see that more in the future.

Looking forward at the schedule....yuck. Only games I'm really excited to start either of these guys (TEN, @IND, JAC, STL). The rest seem like poor matchups for RBs in general, and especially so for a RBBC.

I have both and I'm hoping it's like the Charles/Thomas Jones situation from a few years ago where both were viable options.

If not, I'll probably lean towards FJax on grass and against weak run defenses and Spiller on turf or against tougher teams.

Not to bag on Spiller's worth, because he's clearly proven that he can rip off a huge play, just about anytime he touches the ball, but have you watched the Bills play when they both get carries? Spiller is simply not the inside runner that FJax is. Period, won't ever happen, simply not built for it. FJax is still a tough, slashing, nose for the extra yards kind've inside runner. FJax is the kind've guy that only misses two games after L. Landry hits him in the knee. He's a tough SOB. Spiller's the kind've player who takes a big shot to his front and sprains a should joint. Love the kid, but Earl Campbell he is not.

They'll both limit each other's upside, but on that wild n' wooly for FF, Bills team.. they both have a lot of value. And expect FJax to get most of the GL work and carries when they have a lead.

They have different skill sets. I have both of them, I love Spiller's upside, but from a purely real football standpoint, he can't do some of the things that FJax can.. they'd be dumb not to use them both as they do.

FJax may be slightly better between the tackles, but overall Spiller is so much more dynamic. I also don't disagree the two RB will be pretty much splitting carries. If you want to wear down the defense a bit with Jackson in the first half and then bring Spiller in the second, that may be a useful strategy. Since Spiller has a chance to do more on every play, I believe the smart move is to give the RB that can break it any play more touches.

Spiller has improved a LOT running between the tackles since his first 1.5 seasons when he tried to bounce EVERY play outside. He took several 3-4 yard gains against the Jets and Browns because that was all that was there. However, when more was available...well, look at the stats he put up... he looked like he could lead the league in rushing and all-purpose yards. F-Jax was not himself yet vs the Patriots. He couldn't slash or break tackles like last year. We'll see if he can regain that form with the knee/brace he's wearing.

Yes, trade F-Jax for Mathews.

*wonders when $2.8 mil per year over 3 years became a "big new contract" in the NFL.*

Oh and Spiller is most decidedly *NOT* "much cheaper." Actually his contract pays him nearly double what Fred's "big new contract" pays on a yearly basis. Jackson's "big new contract" basically amounted to a "thank you" from the team for the hard work and dedication. It was front loaded with a nice big signing bonus to reward a guy who busted his ass for half a decade working for barely more than the veteran minimum while at the same time ensuring it doesn't hurt the team in future years if the wheels start coming off that 31 year old body. As someone who has watched Freddie since day one when he was an undrafted free agent practice squader, I applaud the Bills for having the integrity to pay one of the few classy, truly hard working blue collar players left in the league when they really did not need to.

Oh and BY THE WAY that 31-year-old RB had 1378 yards from scrimmage last season and was the UNQUESTIONED leader and catalyst on offense before he got hurt. He was also repeatedly mentioned as an MVP candidate and the entire team folded like a wet cardboard box when he got hurt. Yeah - why on EARTH would they want to try to keep him involved? He looked a little shaky running the football yesterday and CLEARLY was not 100% but I'll give him a pass, he was back 2-6 weeks earlier than ANY doctor thought was possible. Oh and the 50 yards receiving off 3 catches doesn't hurt his case.

Enough with the silliness and back to the topic, though. The thing that is going to hold Spiller AND Jackson back is Chan Gailey. He's old and stubborn and he refuses to change his ways. If this offense was run the way it SHOULD BE - i.e., run the ball 35-40 times a game and only throw off the play action and in 3rd & Long situations - then there would be plenty of time to get BOTH guys 15-20 carries a game which they've repeatedly proven is more than enough for them each to rip off 100+ and a touchdown or two though. That's not going to happen though. Chan Gailey is stubborn as an ox and he's committed to proving that he was right about Ryan Fitzpatrick even if he has to burn the whole franchise to the ground in the process. So, Buffalo will continue to THROW the ball 35-40 times a game while running it only around 20 times - split between CJ and FredEx - and as a result both of them will be dangerous guys to have starting every week on your fantasy team - and I mean dangerous to YOU, not your opponent.

Yeah, some pimply-faced dooshbag living in his mom's basement knows more than the management of a NFL franchise. Thanks for my laugh for the day. Like I said, the teams don't give a rat's ass about your faggity fantasy team. They see the real deal at practice every day. They also will keep or lose their jobs based on playing their best players. They aren't playing to win $50 with Aunt Margie and Cousin Louie and whacking off because starter Fred Jackson went down in week one and you thought you were sitting on a golden egg with Spiller.

Oh and BY THE WAY that 31-year-old RB had 1378 yards from scrimmage last season and was the UNQUESTIONED leader and catalyst on offense before he got hurt.

That frozenqueer's nuts forgot all about last year. That never happened.

Yeah, some pimply-faced dooshbag living in his mom's basement knows more than the management of a NFL franchise. Thanks for my laugh for the day. Like I said, the teams don't give a rat's ass about your faggity fantasy team. They see the real deal at practice every day. They also will keep or lose their jobs based on playing their best players. They aren't playing to win $50 with Aunt Margie and Cousin Louie and whacking off because starter Fred Jackson went down in week one and you thought you were sitting on a golden egg with Spiller.

Ok i didnt look up where the contract was loaded so i am dumb for that. But you think the bills organization is really that good at utilizing the talent on their team? What are you some Bills fan that cant admit how bad his team has been for the last 15+ years? What leads you to believe the Bills are so great at evaluating talent and mmaximizing the output from it?

I just cant believe there is someone dumb enough to think that the Bills are good at making the right decision for the franchise when they have been failing at it for so long. Maybe you think what the Bills have accomplished is something to be proud of. There are plenty of loser mentality fans out there, it seems i have found another.

I have both and I'm hoping it's like the Charles/Thomas Jones situation from a few years ago where both were viable options.

If not, I'll probably lean towards FJax on grass and against weak run defenses and Spiller on turf or against tougher teams.

Darwin nailed it :banana: , evolution continues to trump creationism, teleological, comsological or whatever other absurd arguements the ignorant wish to spew.

I would go further and say its exactly like the Charles/Thomas Jones situation and you need a long run to get Spiller his TD's as Fjax will hog the goal line carries. I think he is one of the better options on the Bills offense and the coaches realize that and will try to get him his touches where he is best, on the edge and in space.

I don't see you getting him cheaply after his first few weeks performance.

Darwin nailed it :banana: , evolution continues to trump creationism, teleological, comsological or whatever other absurd arguements the ignorant wish to spew.

I would go further and say its exactly like the Charles/Thomas Jones situation and you need a long run to get Spiller his TD's as Fjax will hog the goal line carries. I think he is one of the better options on the Bills offense and the coaches realize that and will try to get him his touches where he is best, on the edge and in space.

I don't see you getting him cheaply after his first few weeks performance.

Let's keep this out of here. You're going to start sounding ridiculous.

Ok i didnt look up where the contract was loaded so i am dumb for that. But you think the bills organization is really that good at utilizing the talent on their team? What are you some Bills fan that cant admit how bad his team has been for the last 15+ years? What leads you to believe the Bills are so great at evaluating talent and mmaximizing the output from it?

I just cant believe there is someone dumb enough to think that the Bills are good at making the right decision for the franchise when they have been failing at it for so long. Maybe you think what the Bills have accomplished is something to be proud of. There are plenty of loser mentality fans out there, it seems i have found another.

I love when people whose only knowledge of a team comes from fantasy football try to tell fans who watch every game what is wrong with their team. <_<

Buffalo's decade of mediocrity rests in the front office. Ralph Wilson has cultivated a (well-earned) reputation as a cheap bastard with a death grip on his wallet. His greatest sin has been his mishandling of the front office and coaching staff. Since the glory days of Bill Polian/John Butler and Marv Levy this team fielded a SLEW of terrible coaches and GMs who were brought on board mostly because they were cheap. Since that time and up until the current regime, we've had Tom Donohoe, Marv Levy, Russ Brandon (who is a marketing guy/CEO who knows NOTHING about football).

For coaches we had Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams, and ###### Jauron.

Somewhere in the midst of the Jauron era, Wilson finally realized that "Hey! Teams with great front offices and coaching staffs like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and New England always seem to win. Maybe they're onto something?" So he went out and got an actual football guy to be GM in Buddy Nix - who has done a great job amassing talent. Then he wanted to get himself a top notch coach. One problem - his reputation as a cheapskate preceded him and no coach worth a damn wanted anything to do with this franchise no matter how much money he threw at them. So we ended up with Chan Gailey instead.

Nix has actually done a pretty stellar job on his end. Yes, the Fitzpatrick contract has turned into a disaster but can you really put that on him? At the time it happened Fitzpatrick had the best QB rating in the league and was fresh off two phenomenal performances in back-to-back come from behind victories over Oakland and New England. They appeared to have truly found a diamond in the rough and Fitzpatrick was even coming up in early-season MVP talks. Can you really hold it against Nix for not being psychic enough to know that Fitzpatrick would unravel after the deal was done? What other moves do you want to try to tie around his neck? Fred Jackson? It was a rather small, front-loaded contract and a classy move. Stuff like that can go a long way toward drawing talent when they see a hard worker get rewarded financially even when there was no need to do it from a team perspective. Mario Williams? Really? First off, 4 games into the season is a bit early to declare him a lost cause. Second of all, are you really going to crucify the GM for going out and doing whatever he needed to do to land WITHOUT QUESTION the best pass rusher on the free agent market OR the draft when the biggest hole on his team was CLEARLY the pass rush? Once again, hindsight is 20/20. Everyone, INCLUDING Nix, knew we overpaid for Williams but pretty much everyone also agreed that it was the right thing to do for the team. No one predicted Williams would be as much of a non-factor as he has been so far. It's really easy to sit back and criticize Nix for it now.