Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Benedict

So, Reggie Wayne's on pace for 144/2000/8

I mean, sure, he won't get there. But at this point, a quarter way through the season, holy crap.

Between him and Tony G, it's like an octogenarian revolution up in here.

I mean, sure, he won't get there. But at this point, a quarter way through the season, holy crap.

Between him and Tony G, it's like an octogenarian revolution up in here.

Altho to be fair, Reggie has been a stud for years and just needs a competent qb to throw to him, easy call.

Gonzo is annually dismissed as washed up yet hasn't finished outside the top 10 for te since....get ready....1999!!!

Amazing what a shiny new QB can do for a cagey old veteran WR who appeared to be done. We saw it with Steve Smith and Cam Newton. Now Luck and Wayne.

Wayne was a good Wr. He just hasn't had jack for a qb until now. I expect him to finish in the top 10.

Wayne was a good Wr. He just hasn't had jack for a qb until now. I expect him to finish in the top 10.

LOL...one year he didn't have a QB and everyone totally gave up on him

I was watching the game and the announcer said he's in the hof. Really? Was he one of the best of his generation?

I was watching the game and the announcer said he's in the hof. Really? Was he one of the best of his generation?

Another couple good seasons and he has an argument at least.

Another couple good seasons and he has an argument at least.

He made it sound so defacto, just bugs me when every player is a hof'er to these announcers.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a WR transition so smoothly from the speedy outside athletic guy early in his career, to the smooth, cagey, route-running, hands guy late in life quite like this. Some of the grabs he was making today were so freakishly textbook it was almost annoying. Never thought I'd see this out of the guy who used to exist solely to stretch the field for Marvin Harrison.

I don't know why so few people saw this coming. What indication was there that Reggie Wayne had lost a step going into this season? I still don't know why so many people were so down on him. Yeah, he had an off year (and still put up respectable numbers anyway) but look who his QB was. Whether you bought into the Luck hype or not, did anyone actually think prior to the season that he would be WORSE than Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter?

I happily drafted Wayne in the middles rounds in every single one of my leagues and I'm reaping the benefits now.

I don't know why so few people saw this coming. What indication was there that Reggie Wayne had lost a step going into this season? I still don't know why so many people were so down on him. Yeah, he had an off year (and still put up respectable numbers anyway) but look who his QB was. Whether you bought into the Luck hype or not, did anyone actually think prior to the season that he would be WORSE than Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter?

I happily drafted Wayne in the middles rounds in every single one of my leagues and I'm reaping the benefits now.

Agreed. He has out scored Julio jones and he played 1 less game than him. Yet you don't see Reggie Wayne week after week in the top 10 rankings for wrs. He consistently puts up points and that's what you need.

Yes. U want an argument w stats?? And awayyyyyy we go!!

Receiving yards- Wayne was 20th all time. Let's say conservatively he gets a mere 1000 yds this year. That puts him at around 13k wich is good for 14th. More than fryar, ward, Michael Irvin just to name a few. 1200 yds would put him above reed an near holt.

Catches- Wayne is 14th all time. If he gets just 80 this ear he will pass randy moss, Reed, mason, monk and many others for prob 10 or 11th all time.

So at least top 15 in 2 major wr categories. I think Iv made a good argument. He is not a few yrs away. He is hof worthy right now, this season an any others (not looking like he will retire soon.) an u are looking at top ten easy in both categories.

HoF near lock.

Yes. U want an argument w stats?? And awayyyyyy we go!!

Receiving yards- Wayne was 20th all time. Let's say conservatively he gets a mere 1000 yds this year. That puts him at around 13k wich is good for 14th. More than fryar, ward, Michael Irvin just to name a few. 1200 yds would put him above reed an near holt.

Catches- Wayne is 14th all time. If he gets just 80 this ear he will pass randy moss, Reed, mason, monk and many others for prob 10 or 11th all time.

So at least top 15 in 2 major wr categories. I think Iv made a good argument. He is not a few yrs away. He is hof worthy right now, this season an any others (not looking like he will retire soon.) an u are looking at top ten easy in both categories.

HoF near lock.

Comparing him to past wrs means nothing. Pass Stats are inflated, how did he compare to moss, holt, Owens, Harrison, etc. did teams ever gameplay for Reggie? What was memorable in his career.

Put it this way, Phil rivers is gonna end up with pretty insane stats too compared to Unitas and other qbs, is he a hall of famer, no.

:lol:

I had J. Stew in my flex position today before the morning games started and saw I had Wayne on the bench! I quickly smacked myself for being stupid and almost leaving it that way. I put Wayne in! :thumbsup:

Comparing him to past wrs means nothing. Pass Stats are inflated, how did he compare to moss, holt, Owens, Harrison, etc. did teams ever gameplay for Reggie? What was memorable in his career.

Put it this way, Phil rivers is gonna end up with pretty insane stats too compared to Unitas and other qbs, is he a hall of famer, no.

A fair rebuttal, but ill offer this...he compares well w holt. Almost mirror images, both played w Bruce/Harrison then became the main man in a heavy passing offense. Wayne will eclipse holts stats very soon. Being top 15 wr all time is a big deal even if u think it's not fair to compare him to past players.

The rivers argument is fair, lots of hof qbs have less than stellar an even BAD stats, but qbs are held to a dif standard. Things like rings, wins, clutch all play a big part of qb legacy. Nobody cares how many games a wr won and rings, while important (Wayne has a sb) are not held in a regard compared to qb.

I didn't think he would be as consistent as he has been. It seems there are a few QB who are declining a bit as they are getting near their mid 30's. I thought we would have seen a 33 year old WR decline faster than some of the QBs.

All strong points

I know Wins, W-L Record, and Playoff #'s (wins & stats) don't weigh as heavily for WR's as they may for QB's, but this dude has everything on his resume.

2 Superbowl appearances, 1 SB ring (caught the only passing TD of the game). He's basically played 1 full season's worth of playoff games (17 games) and has accumulated 83/1128/9 in those games. Also was a part of the Colts team that won the most games in any decade ever.

He's got stats (borderline right now, looking like a safe bet to improve), a ring, wins, and playoff/SB performances.

I think before it's all said and done Reggie Wayne will be in the Hall of Fame.

Since Reggie is now actually statistically better at 47 than he was in his prime, and Peyton Manning is running a clown show in Denver, can we safely assume he made Manning what he was in Indy, rather than the other way around?

LOL...one year he didn't have a QB and everyone totally gave up on him

totally true.

I think he got 975 yards playing with a mishmash of backup QB's after steadily breaking 1300 yards. people say he's done and a new stud QB comes in.

I dont know how someone couldnt think he'd do better with the improvement at QB.

totally true.

I think he got 975 yards playing with a mishmash of backup QB's after steadily breaking 1300 yards. people say he's done and a new stud QB comes in.

I dont know how someone couldnt think he'd do better with the improvement at QB.

The things i read preseason were so laughable. Saying austin collie would be the man?! Spread offense, no targets for the washed up Wayne, decent wr3 at best, all sorts of bull. I just needed to see that luck could hit a barn door w the football and I was sold.

And what is going unnoticed is Reggie had the opportunity to sign with anyone last offseason, but he chose to stick around with a rebuilding team with a rookie quarterback. It wasn't like the Colts threw a ton of money at him either. I believe he lives in Miami during the offseason, so I was surprised he didn't sign with the Dolphins. If you're a Colts fan, you have to love a guy like Reggie.

Plus you know you hired a good coach when your team played their hearts out for him.