Sign in to follow this  
tenaciousb

Ben to Mendy is now a TD pass

Nothing official to link to yet but a local writer just blogged this:

Ben gets a TD pass ... today? ... READ MORE:

The NFL has determined that Ben Roethlisberger's lateral to Rashard Mendenhall on Sunday that resulted in a 13-yard touchdown is now a TD pass, not a lateral.

Looking at that replay, even at the time, it's the right call.

The stats crew at Heinz Field immediately decided to call it a lateral, and believe me, that's easy to tell. They're very audible in the press box. The play happened, and someone barked out that the pass went "backward," and that was that. They had to move on to the next set of plays.

I've heard from readers critical of this decision, but it's got to be understood that these folks can't put the game on pause and keep checking that one play to get it right. They score it as they see it, and the process of follow-ups happens just like this, where there's a review by the NFL's people.

Football is NOT an easy game to score. Lots of moving parts, tackles, assists, pressures, even the yard lines aren't definitive. The only way to get everything precise is to study that video that pans the whole field and shows all 22 players. (Which actually fans can buy this year for the first time. It's called "22," not coincidentally.)

If this is indeed official this will affect many games. Plus Mendy now gets a reception and take away the rushing yardage....

Yeah, but he still gets the receiving yardage :unsure:

Yeah, but he still gets the receiving yardage :unsure:

I fail to see how this does anything other than make scores better? Mendy still gets credit for yardage (most likely the same amount of points), still gets a TD (again, same), gets credit for a reception (can only be positive), and Ben gets more points as well (yardage, TD, possible completion).

I fail to see how this does anything other than make scores better? Mendy still gets credit for yardage (most likely the same amount of points), still gets a TD (again, same), gets credit for a reception (can only be positive), and Ben gets more points as well (yardage, TD, possible completion).

Initial stats has Mendy at 81 yards rushing, 20 receiving.

In a non-PPR, non-decimal league, he would end with 68 rushing yards (6 points) and 33 receiving yards (3 points), compared to the 10 yardage points he would have now.

Not necessarily. In one of my leauges rushing yards and receiving yards are added up separately. This results in one point differences in leagues sometimes. Also in my league it is not ppr. So 88 rushing yards and 13 receiving yards is 9 points. In a league that combines the two it would equal 101 yards and be 10 points.

Wow...I had Ben and lost by 1 pt. I'm the commish too so lets hope the league mates do not think I'm doing anything sneaky. Emailing folks now...

Wow...I had Ben and lost by 1 pt. I'm the commish too so lets hope the league mates do not think I'm doing anything sneaky. Emailing folks now...

Seems a bit premature to be emailing your league, when nothing official has been rules by ELIAS or the NFL.

Seems a bit premature to be emailing your league, when nothing official has been rules by ELIAS or the NFL.

True...however, CBSSportsline changed my score automatically thus giving me the W (and some 'splainin to do).

I knew it was a bad scoring decision when it happened. Both replay angles showed that it was not a backward pass based on where Roethlisberger released it and where Mendenhall caught it.

I can't believe they couldn't correct that decision during the game. In hockey, they correct scoring decisions all the time while the game is still in progress. It's routine.

Now this is going to create a lot of p!ssed off people who were involved in very close games where the losing team had Roethlisberger.

I won anyway but barely facing Ben.

Yikes.

This is going to create some chaos along fantasy land.

Nothing official to link to yet but a local writer just blogged this:

Ben gets a TD pass ... today? ... READ MORE:

The NFL has determined...

When has the NFL ever changed a stat after a game was over? :dunno:

Seems more like the NFL has determined the stat is wrong, but no official change will be made.

Holy crap. I always thought the NFL had a policy or tendency against doing that, but apparently not.

So, what does CBSSportsline usually do when this happens, or is this the first time?

:huh:

edit to add... I just saw that it's been changed in my CBS league, but it didn't effect the win/loss anyway. Wonder if it changed win/loss's in leagues that it did effect.?

Holy crap. I always thought the NFL had a policy or tendency against doing that, but apparently not.

So, what does CBSSportsline usually do when this happens, or is this the first time?

edit to add... I just saw that it's been changed in my CBS league, but it didn't effect the win/loss anyway. Wonder if it changed win/loss's in leagues that it did effect.?

It affected my league, my game and I'm the commissioner.

I originally lost by 1 pt and now won by 5 pt. Sportsline made the change automatically. The messy part was the effect on waiver order/priority. Luckily owners were cool.

Took a lot of explaining until more "official" info and stats presented throughout the day.

I went from a tie to a loss, i get 1 point every 10 yards rushing and receiving, 81 yards and 20 yards is 10, 68 yards and 33 yards is 9, this on espn league, hasn't been changed yet but they update 3am ish est, really sucks

Wonder if I should apologize for slapping wife after the announcer said "TD!!! And it's being ruled a run."

When has the NFL ever changed a stat after a game was over? :dunno:

They make stat corrections every week. Usually it is pretty inconsequential stuff- a few yards here or there, credit for a tackle or two, etc. Very rarely though is there a change on a touchdown. Still can't believe the official scorer didn't make the correction during the game or at least at halftime. Was not a difficult call.

myfantasyleague.com posted the correction this morning along with a banner message on top of the home page announcing the change.