Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Grief Counselors

Kids are out of school until Wednesday for fall break.

We got the automated call from school last night. Their 8th grade math teacher died yesterday. I called the school today and there aren't many details. He was young. He's dead. They don't have another teacher lined up yet.

So they will have "grief counselors" at the school on Wednesday when the kids return.

Wondering how the kid will react? We're going to sit down and have a talk tonight. We'll see how it goes.

What the fock is Fall break?

:dunno:

I thought that was thanksgiving?

This is what I was wondering. I mean hell, we just had Labor day and Thanksgiving break is next month. Good lord it is easy being a kid now days.

Oh ya know what a bunch of the Podunk hillbilly schools get off for the beginning of deer season. Wonder if that's it. My high school did it otherwise there would be about 34 kids in the whole school.....they don't do it anymore though.

Fall break is the result of a modified school year calendar. The calendar in some school systems has been modified for one of two reasons:

1) Research is showing that students are not retaining all of the information they are learning when they take a 10-11 week break in the summer months. They come back to school in the fall and have to re-learn important concepts needed to continue in the next class. Some school systems modify the calendar to combat this by shortening the summer break and adding in a fall break.

2) Many school systems are facing budget shortfalls due to declining tax bases. In order to make up for the defecit, teacher furloughs, RIFs and modified schedules are employed. A school system one county over from me has moved from a 180 day schedule to a 165 day schedule for the students. By lengthening the school day, the students are in the seats in the classroom for the same amount of clock time, but the school can be shut down for 15 days saving on operation costs and fuel for the buses. The 15 days are spread out as a Fall break in October and a Winter Break in February.

Hope this helps.

Fall break is the result of a modified school year calendar. The calendar in some school systems has been modified for one of two reasons:

1) Research is showing that students are not retaining all of the information they are learning when they take a 10-11 week break in the summer months. They come back to school in the fall and have to re-learn important concepts needed to continue in the next class. Some school systems modify the calendar to combat this by shortening the summer break and adding in a fall break.

2) Many school systems are facing budget shortfalls due to declining tax bases. In order to make up for the defecit, teacher furloughs, RIFs and modified schedules are employed. A school system one county over from me has moved from a 180 day schedule to a 165 day schedule for the students. By lengthening the school day, the students are in the seats in the classroom for the same amount of clock time, but the school can be shut down for 15 days saving on operation costs and fuel for the buses. The 15 days are spread out as a Fall break in October and a Winter Break in February.

Hope this helps.

So typical govt... Raise taxes, offer less...

So typical govt... Raise taxes, offer less...

Actually, no. The millage rate has not changed in the county that is using the modified schedule. Tax rates have not been raised at all. Because property values have fallen, the revenues from property taxes have declined. The school system is taking drastic measures to make up for the decline in tax revenue. In essence, they are doing more (the number of students has risen over the last 4 years as the tax revenues have declined) with less.

Nice try, though.

Got to love the Geek Squad.

OP- 40 year old teacher fell out dead

Geeks- why the hell do students get 2 days off at the end of the first quarter?!?!?

We got the automated call from school last night. Their 8th grade math teacher died yesterday. I called the school today and there aren't many details. He was young. He's dead. They don't have another teacher lined up yet.

So they will have "grief counselors" at the school on Wednesday when the kids return.

Wondering how the kid will react? We're going to sit down and have a talk tonight. We'll see how it goes.

It will be traumatic. It won't rival the trauma from a parent or grandparent passing away, but you can expect this to be a little more traumatic than dealing with the death of a distant relative, especially if this was a teacher the kids liked and respected.

With it being math, you will want to monitor the school's replacement strategy. 8th grade math is an extremely important stepping stone to high school math in the new Common Core curriculum.

Let them know right away that they cannot handle this on their own and that professional help is always needed. Let someone you don't know get inside their head. :thumbsup:

Young Montana: "So does that mean no math homework any time soon?...SWEET!"

This years math class is the kids hardest subject.

Got a B instead of the usual A.

This teacher would not allow calculators in the classroom. He wanted the students to actually learn and understand math, rather than punching numbers into the calculator. I can appreciate that approach, although the students didn't like it much.

My kid struggled at the beginning of the year- new concepts and is shy around strangers (new teacher) and didn't ask question. The teacher told me 2 weeks ago the kid had finally begun asking questions and was beginning to get it. We had scheduled before school meetings for Fridays, beginning this week. That's not going to happen now.

I'm concerned about a new teacher coming in ang going through all that again. As said above, 8th grade math is a stepping stone to high school algebra and more.

Tell your boy that he's going to goggy heaven. Works everytime.

Let them know right away that they cannot handle this on their own and that professional help is always needed. Let someone you don't know get inside their head. :thumbsup:

This is good stuff. We will encourage the kid to speak with the counselors tomorrow.

The poor under paid teachers are overworked, they need some time off. :(

We got the automated call from school last night. Their 8th grade math teacher died yesterday. I called the school today and there aren't many details. He was young. He's dead

This years math class is the kids hardest subject.

Got a B instead of the usual A.

This teacher would not allow calculators in the classroom. He wanted the students to actually learn and understand math, rather than punching numbers into the calculator. I can

Maybe one of the kids knocked him off. Should have let them use the calculators. :unsure:

Use this as a teaching moment. "You see, kids, this is what happens when you lead a life full of strippers and blow." That'll learn 'em.

When I was in second grade, our teacher died. :(

The new teacher that replaced her was smoking hot. :wub:

The skool has three math teachers, one dies, how many math teachers do we have left? :unsure:

Use this as a teaching moment. "You see, kids, this is what happens when you lead a life full of strippers and blow." That'll learn 'em.

If strippers and blow are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Thread rooned- Fricking Perv stalking anything about middle school kids is totally creepy.

We had the talk last night. She didn't know. It kinda freaked her out. We talked a lot about it.

He was on a school trip in Virginia, got sick & they took him to the hospital. He died there. The kids on the trip were pretty freaked out. It finally made the local news last night.

We encouraged the kid to speak with the grief counselors today at school.