Sign in to follow this  
davidbostonisgood

Wise Observations

I remember having a conversation with my Grandpa a couple of years back. We had been talking about sports. Actually he had been doing most of the talking. Because when he talks I listen. I have learned to ask him questions and listen to him, because he always seems to be right about sports. He seems to have a wisdom and vision that cuts through and sees things clearly and unbiased, unswayed by the media.

Our conversation a few years back was about football, and he had compared Tom Brady to Alex Rodriguez (Yankees baseball player). He talked about how they both put up phenomenal stats, but when it came down to their actual play on the field, neither of them were clutch and both were overrated. Well at the time, I knew Rodriguez was overrated and obviously not clutch. But Tom Brady not being clutch was blasphemy. That was the direct opposite of what the media told me. But now since Brady's failures have finally been brought forth recently for his inability to come through in the clutch and poor 4th quarter play, I'm starting to realize that my Grandpa was right again. Of course he is, he always is.

Looking back at it, Brady built a legacy on early career success, that he largely got by being on a team that gave him that success. Brady had to do very little to get the hardware he did early on in his career. And since then he has been riding the wave of media created hype. Though I do believe he is now a very good QB, just not clutch, and he was average at best during his first Super Bowl and early in his career.

Brady = Alex Rodriquez

- great stats

- not clutch

- championships because surrounded by a great team/organization

what constitutes clutch? Name a player that won a Superbowl that was not surrounded talent to help get the job done. In football the QB will usually get all the glory and all the blame. And grandpa was wrong cause no matter what you believe Brady is hall of fame cause he is that caliber of a player. For the record I am a Dallas fan.

You can find instances where every great player in every sport failed at some point in the clutch.

Alex Rodriguez....most would agree he isn't very clutch, BUT, he also had one of the most amazing post season performances back in 2009(??) that any player has ever had.

Brady's been pretty clutch...sorry granpappy!

YOUR Grandpa is a tool. (Heard this lame argument before on here)

Why do so many on here feel the need to act 12 and make comments like this? You just called the guys grandpa a tool. Wake up junior!! Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Grow up!

you lost me at "I remember having a conversation with Grandpa"

Sorry....man, maybe somebody else with a longer attention span and lots of free time can enjoy your story.

Maybe if pops wasn't a latent homo fixated on GQ cover boys he'd have included Peyton Manning in your fireside chats.

Why do so many on here feel the need to act 12 and make comments like this? You just called the guys grandpa a tool. Wake up junior!! Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Grow up!

If I wanted to act 12 I would've said worse. But no tool is appropriate since the argument is ridiculous to even debate.

Since you called me Junior, ill now call you douchenozzle. ;) There's "12" for ya..;)

Brady was clutch vs Rams and carolina in super bowl wins, and he he didnt need to be clutch in the 4th qtr vs Philly because he had a 10 point lead late. In his 2 super bowl losses it was the Pats D that wasnt clutch in the end, letting Eli engineer 2 last minute comebacks. And he hasnt had tons of hall of fame talent around him like some other champs that had HOF WR or RB or D. The only other qb to lead his team to 5 SBs was Elway. I guess Grandpa thinks he wasn't clutch either

So you're saying a guy thats a David Tyree circus catch/one defensive stop/Wes Welker dropped ball away from 5 rings is not clutch?

You don't win a championship if you can't play in the clutch, let alone three going on five.

I'm sure you're gramps is a great guy but I think he's wrong here.

Yeah, Joe Montana was NOT clutch either. He is another player who is a beneficiary of being surrounded by great players, coaches, and owner.

Now that I think about it, let's add John Elway, Eli Manning, ... And Michael Jordan to this list as well.

Is grandpa a disgruntled Jets/Mets fan?

YOUR Grandpa is a tool. (Heard this lame argument before on here)

Hmmm. I read the guys the post and thought it would be awesome to be able to kick it with Gramps and chat about sports. I doubt the man is a tool, but its abundantly clear that you are a supreme dooshbag. :wave:

No way does Brady deserve to be compared to Arod. He has slipped the last few years but he is clearly one of the best 4 QB's in the league and a fiery leader that his teamates respond too. I would say he has more in common with Jeter, he has clearly worked hard to become one of the best at his position and while go to the Hall of Fame as a beloved captain of his team.

This arguement was actually made by Bill Simmons over on Grantland in the preseason that Brady has slipped a little bit in the last couple years, and he is a huge Boston homer (its his schtick). His arguement was that basically the season will come down to a handful of plays and while Brady used to always make those plays the last few years he hasn't. Specifically he pointed to the Welker pass to ice the superbowl and its close...but it looks like an overthrow on Brady's part to me.

In my mind if the Patriots win either of the Giants superbowls then Brady would have wont the MVP for both those games. Tough to call a guy a choker when he was easily the best Patriot on the field in both those losses.

Brady was clutch vs Rams and carolina in super bowl wins, and he he didnt need to be clutch in the 4th qtr vs Philly because he had a 10 point lead late. In his 2 super bowl losses it was the Pats D that wasnt clutch in the end, letting Eli engineer 2 last minute comebacks. And he hasnt had tons of hall of fame talent around him like some other champs that had HOF WR or RB or D. The only other qb to lead his team to 5 SBs was Elway. I guess Grandpa thinks he wasn't clutch either

I don't remember him doing anything clutch in superbowl vs Rams.

I don't remember him doing anything clutch in superbowl vs Rams.

so you have a poor memory or you didn't watch the end of the game. With 1:30 left and no timeouts he completed 5 of 6 passes to get them in field goal range and win the game as time ran out. That is the definition of clutch

Saying Brady isn't clutch really doesn't sound too wise to me....

To me, earning the word "clutch" is something that happens over a long period of time. You don't get it from one game...one season....It's over a career....It's being a winner and usually being the guy doing something to get your team to the top....

Brady has clearly shown he's "clutch"...Sure ,you can point to games here or there where he didn't come through....But over his career, he's been a winner and the main reason the Patriots have been so successful the last decade.

Joe Montana was another one....I think he was the ultimate "clutch" player. That guy just always seemed to make the plays needed when they needed to be made.

For an example of not clutch, Tony Romo would be right there. He's a guy that always seems to come out on the bottom when things get tough. He's rang up good numbers but just doesn't consistently come through at the big times and in the big games.