Sign in to follow this  
gitrdun

Fake field goals

Baltimore faked a field and the holder ran it in for a touchdown. Does anyone give the points to the special team/def? I can see it going to the special teams, but I do not see many leagues ruling it that way.

The way ESPN described it earlier this year is that it does not become a special teams play until the ball is kicked (either punt or field goal attempt). So for the play you described the holder would get credited with a rushing touchdown and yardage, no points for the D/ST.

It's no different than the Wildcat.

An offensive play from an unusual formation.

No ST points.

what he said...

for it to be a D/ST TD the ball must change possession... ie, kickoff/punt/interception/fumble recovery...

So, in a league where you use T/QB instead of individuals. the pounts would be awarded to that position then?

It should be handled the same way as a WR or HB pass.

I guess the BAL holder would be credited with a rushing TD .

This. Unless your league has a punter position, the touchdown shouldn't be credited to any other position.

This is how my league handles it. I have only seen this come up 2 times since this rule has been in place.

** Adam Viniatiera rule-A player on special teams can score on a fake FG or Punt. If a fake Punt goes for a touchdown, the DEF will get the TD points plus any bonus points. If a fake FG goes for a TD and the Kicker throws the touchdown or catches it, the Kicker and player receiving/throwing the pass will both receive TD points plus any other applicable points. If anyone else throws the TD pass, the DEF will get the points (most likely you would not started the 2nd string qb who is the holder and we do not start punters)**

This is how my league handles it. I have only seen this come up 2 times since this rule has been in place.

** Adam Viniatiera rule-A player on special teams can score on a fake FG or Punt. If a fake Punt goes for a touchdown, the DEF will get the TD points plus any bonus points. If a fake FG goes for a TD and the Kicker throws the touchdown or catches it, the Kicker and player receiving/throwing the pass will both receive TD points plus any other applicable points. If anyone else throws the TD pass, the DEF will get the points (most likely you would not started the 2nd string qb who is the holder and we do not start punters)**

couldn't a starting qb be the holder? very unusual but if

it were a designed trick play it might happen just sayin

I guess the BAL holder would be credited with a rushing TD .

correct

You treat it like standard fantasy baseball treats pitcher home runs and RBI's. They don't exist .

hah. yeah wtf is up with that?

and also,

why do I get minus points when my WR fumbles a kick return, but I don't get 6 when he scores a td on a kick return? :wall:

If the kickers runs in the touchdown they will receive the points for the rushing TD but not the D/ST. Just ask Jay Feely who put up one of the best days for standard scoring leagues as anyone against Denver in 2010.

36 yard field goal-3 points

48 yard field goal-4 points

55 yard field goal-5 points

23 yard field goal-3 points

49 yard field goal-4 points

4 extra points -4 points

5 yards rushing -0.5 points

Rushing TD. -6 points

Total----------29.5 POINTS FROM A KICKER!!

I don't know if that is the most from a kicker ever but I would have to think it has to be.

If the kickers runs in the touchdown they will receive the points for the rushing TD but not the D/ST. Just ask Jay Feely who put up one of the best days for standard scoring leagues as anyone against Denver in 2010.

36 yard field goal-3 points

48 yard field goal-4 points

55 yard field goal-5 points

23 yard field goal-3 points

49 yard field goal-4 points

4 extra points -4 points

5 yards rushing -0.5 points

Rushing TD. -6 points

Total----------29.5 POINTS FROM A KICKER!!

I don't know if that is the most from a kicker ever but I would have to think it has to be.

I can't top that but maybe a close second...

Vinatieri in 2004 for the PATS- 4FGs/4PATs and a TD pass vs. Rams.

hah. yeah wtf is up with that?

and also,

why do I get minus points when my WR fumbles a kick return, but I don't get 6 when he scores a td on a kick return? :wall:

Because your league is run poorly.

Why does this question come up every time there's a fake/botch field goal?

:rolleyes:

People don't pay attention unless it happens for/to their team.

People don't pay attention unless it happens for/to their team.

True, but it just illustrates the fact that many people lack the fundamental understanding that every play from scrimmage is an offensive try, no matter the formation.