Sign in to follow this  
Ramrock

I can take it

I'm 2-9 now, and will miss the playoffs for the first time in last 10 years. Where did I go wrong?

Flacco

Cutler

Rb

BJG, McFadden , McGahee, Vereen, J.Rodgers

Wr.

Julio, Roddie W, hernandez, witten, S.Moss, Hilton,

K.

Tucker,Noovak

Def Houston

Notice only 16 team roster which was voted on by the morons this year, instead of normal 20

Inconsistent QB play (I'm being nice here) and injuries to your running backs which you can't control. Maybe you should have snatched up Marcel Reese?

Your QBs suck. McFadden was a bust and your other RBs were just ok. You drafted two WRs from the same team. Took Witten a while to get going.

I would never in a million years draft McFadden at his ADP. If he was your first rounder...that is a fail.

And if you're weak at a position you have to be aggressive with waiver wire and with add/drops once players clear waivers (free agents).

You (wrongfully) bought into the hype of some bad players.

Every year we see players, often the same players, get hyped up in the offseason without any real reason. Sure, McFadden is explosive, but he can't stay healthy. People have been calling for Flacco & Cutler to take the next step as an elite QB, but they never will.

I don't really blame you for buying into the hype of Julio Jones or Aaron Hernandez though. Those are 2 very young, very talented players who didn't really have any red flags surrounding them.

That combined with some bad luck (injuries to Hernandez/McFadden/McGahee/Witten) and what appears to be no WW additions, and you have yourself a nightmare football season.

Two kickers and two tight ends. Houston defense? possibly drafted them too high? wait till last two rounds to pick k and defense. Also wait til late to get a te. Your usually never going to get value out of a high te pick.

You (wrongfully) bought into the hype of some bad players.

Yep. The hype machine on Flacco during the preseason and even into the first few weeks of the regular season was ludicrous. He's far too inconsistent to ever be considered a QB1. Cutler is capable of being a QB1, but not with the swiss cheese offensive line and below average receivers (except Marshall) he's stuck with in Chicago.

And, obviously, McFadden as your RB1 was a disaster waiting to happen. He should never be counted on as more than an RB2 because of his health history, and, frankly, I'm inclined to let someone else have the headache altogether.

I'm 2-9 now, and will miss the playoffs for the first time in last 10 years. Where did I go wrong?

Flacco

Cutler

Rb

BJG, McFadden , McGahee, Vereen, J.Rodgers

Wr.

Julio, Roddie W, hernandez, witten, S.Moss, Hilton,

K.

Tucker,Noovak

Def Houston

Notice only 16 team roster which was voted on by the morons this year, instead of normal 20

I don't know whether you made trades or not, but I can't see a first round pick on your roster. Did you take McFadden in the first? Or Julio? If so, that's where you first went wrong. Your QBs are not good, your RBs are very questionable (McGahee was the best one, and I can't imagine you spent more than a 3rd round pick on him, at most). Your top-2 WRs are on the same team, that doesn't seem like the best plan. It's unlikely that you'll get good games out of both in a given week (unlikely, not impossible).

QB is a huge problem for you! your playing from behind every single game..

a break down or round by round who you grabbed would help alot too

You didn't go at the waiver wire aggressive, you stayed with name brand way too long. Tons and tons of talents every week. I could of build a playoff team just from last 2 weeks waiver wire.

Before the season started I will bet a lot more people on these boards really liked that team especially in a 16 teamer, I would have. You got unlucky at RB and mislead by fast starts by Flacco and Cutler. Your QB position turned into a blackhole that basically you lost at each week and when you played a top 5 QB it was probably too much for most of the rest of your squad to overcome. BJG never really gave you anything much either at your #2RB/Bye week filler when McFadden slumped due to odd coaching descions you where sunk for the season. It happens to everyone sooner or later.

I don't like the 2 WR's off of one team myself, I would have picked Julio or Roddy and gone with just one of them. Preseason everyone loved Julio and we where wrong, he is explosive but the consistent excellence of Roddy is the backbone of a consistent high scoring FF team. Also this year WR was exceptionally deep, I get the strong impression you took Julio/White in the 2nd/3rd which is not taking advantage of a deep position. Besides its almost always easier to find a viable WR on the waiver wire, RB's however not so much.

Finally for a 2-9 team you dont have any waiver wire darlings on your squad it looks like you didnt work the waiver wire much if at all. At 1-4 ish I would have been shopping my entire team for a shakeup trade.

Before the season started I will bet a lot more people on these boards really liked that team especially in a 16 teamer, I would have. You got unlucky at RB and mislead by fast starts by Flacco and Cutler. Your QB position turned into a blackhole that basically you lost at each week and when you played a top 5 QB it was probably too much for most of the rest of your squad to overcome. BJG never really gave you anything much either at your #2RB/Bye week filler when McFadden slumped due to odd coaching descions you where sunk for the season. It happens to everyone sooner or later.

I don't like the 2 WR's off of one team myself, I would have picked Julio or Roddy and gone with just one of them. Preseason everyone loved Julio and we where wrong, he is explosive but the consistent excellence of Roddy is the backbone of a consistent high scoring FF team. Also this year WR was exceptionally deep, I get the strong impression you took Julio/White in the 2nd/3rd which is not taking advantage of a deep position. Besides its almost always easier to find a viable WR on the waiver wire, RB's however not so much.

Finally for a 2-9 team you dont have any waiver wire darlings on your squad it looks like you didnt work the waiver wire much if at all. At 1-4 ish I would have been shopping my entire team for a shakeup trade.

these guys never trade, my waiver people were Aaron Her, Hilton ,Veeren,had Taiwin Jones for a while,. Julio and McFadden were my biggest busts. Thought Flacco would bust out like Ryan did this year,

these guys never trade, my waiver people were Aaron Her, Hilton ,Veeren,had Taiwin Jones for a while,. Julio and McFadden were my biggest busts. Thought Flacco would bust out like Ryan did this year,

Ok, looking at your roster I'm going to put it down to 2 things:

QB - you should have done better, Cutler had potential with Marshall but was a flyer. Flacco is always just a spot start and nothing else. You needed to go for a Payton Manning or Griffin or Freeman or Wilson or something like that somewhere along the line.

RB - I don't blame you for McFadden (I traded for him actually, and also for BJGE at one point too) but you should have looked elsewhere for additional potential values, like Richardson or Martin. High rookie RB picks are always good for that. Plus guys like Reece and Goodson (at some point) should have been on your roster to back him up and no matter how deep your league they should have been gettable.

WR - White and Julio? I could see one or the other but going with both means that if the Falcon pass game is down you have 2 WRs with subpar days not just one.

Fix those first two things and your probably have at least 2-3 more wins.

I'm in the playoffs in four out of five leagues... the one I'm not is the one where I took McFadden in the first (PPR) and then graham in the second (you probably took hernandez in the third)> I was just a terrible idea for both of us; if youa re oign to take mfgadden you better pair him with another good back at the top of the second... AND you can't take a TE in the first or second or third, it just shoots the rest of your team...

jdon

:wub: You had me at "I can take it." :wub:

I'd say having Roddy and Julio this year may not have worked out too well for you. Or at least not as well as you thought it might on draft day. When Julio went off, Roddy did not, and vice versa. Of course now that you're out of playoff contention that means this week they'll both go nuts vs. N.O. :wall:

Obviously, you're hurting at QB, but mostly you just needed better luck at the back end of the draft and/or better mid-season moves. I drafted DMC in the first round, Demarco in the second and Hernandez in the fourth yet still find myself tied for first place with the highest points scored in my league. Rather than the hyped up Falcon receivers, I took their QB, Ryan (if the receivers were supposed to be so good, the guy throwing them the ball must be doing pretty well, too). It was a good pick for me in the 5th as he's really had only one dog game. I benefitted from having ADP slip to the 7th and a drafting solid receiving corps (Marshall, Harvin, D.Thomas, D.Moore, DJax) as well as drafting CJ Spiller after all those. I guess the key was backing up potential question marks like DMC & Demarco with players like ADP and Spiller who have just as much (if not more) potential. All of those guys are pretty young, and have been explosive when healthy and given an opportunity. I thought it was a fairly safe bet that not all four of them would flop, but I guess that I'd but hurting if ADP recovered like a normal human being (see Mendenhall) and FJax stayed healthy and productive. The most significant waiver pick-up I made was Reece while Pitta & Olsen have been my hit-or-miss replacements for Hernandez.

You have no strong point in your team. The one position that looks like it could have been, you're starting two WR from the same team.

I can't blame you too much for McFadden, depending on where you were drafting. I bought into the hype as well drafting from the 12 hole in a 12 team league. I made matters worse by going with Charles in Rd 2. But through a few trades and waiver wire adds, I was able to make my RB position serviceable by getting Ridley (trade) and making my WR position great by getting Marshal (trade), Welker (trade) and Cobb (WW - return yardage counted). My QB position has been serviceable with Newton (draft) and Freeman (WW).

My point is, if you can have at least one position of strength and do your best to make the others serviceable you should be fine. You managed to allow all of your positions to turn to weaknesses. If your in a league full of guys who never trade, I can see how it would be tough to turn around a bad draft day. But even with a great draft day, you have to really put a lot of thought into aggressively trolling the WW and FA lists every week to remain competitive. It doesn't look like you did that.

He mentioned he did work the waiver wire in aquiring Hernandez and Hilton.

The big problem is once your RB situation went critical you really only had trading as an option to improve. You just can't usually find competent RB's on the waiver wire and being a 16 teamer its even worse. I have used picking 2 elite WR's in the previous two years and one year it worked out for me 6/8 teams made playoffs and last year failed horribly 1/7 made playoffs. I much prefer 1WR early and then either loading up on RB's I am keen on or adding an elite QB and trusting I can find value to fill in my squad later in the draft.

Going into the draft I usually plan to have my starting 2RB/2WR done by round 5ish and then have 1-2 upside RB's targeted in rounds 5-8. I usually end up with 4-6 RB's on the majority of my squads with just barely enough WR's or one extra WR on my bench. This gives me a much better chance of having an elite RB corp and gives me a ton of trading capital if my WR's or QB's underperform. Oddly enough there is typically only a couple teams that go this RB heavy in almost every league I have played in even though RB's are the hardest position to predict year to year.

We also failed to mention that being a 16 teamer having 2 starting QB's would normally assure you of having a top 10 play each week no matter what, so it looks a lot more like it just wasn't your year in this league. For the most part it just looks like you had the perfect storm hit your squad, injuries, erratic QB performance, odd coaching strategies (McFadden), bad luck (facing high scorers each week), etc.

9/10 years in the playoff is a tremendous record for any league, and the fact that you came here to ask for others insight makes me think your a much savier FF manager than most. I would not be too worried about one bad year. :thumbsup:

16 players on the roster or 16 teams in the league? Makes a huge difference. He listed the 16 players on his roster. So if it a smaller league, thenn with only a 16 player roster, there should have been plenty on the wire.

16 players on the roster or 16 teams in the league? Makes a huge difference. He listed the 16 players on his roster. So if it a smaller league, thenn with only a 16 player roster, there should have been plenty on the wire.

16 player roster 14 team league